Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The comments on Wednesday made me check today whatever new messy event is going on. And I'm seriously disappointed in Gillen this time. Couldn't give a rat rear end about the Eternals even with a good writer on them, but doing the amateur thing of killing an entire planet for shock value, especially when it ruins other writers' plans in the X-line (including Ewing's Mars title)? Bro, what are you doing??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

The comments on Wednesday made me check today whatever new messy event is going on. And I'm seriously disappointed in Gillen this time. Couldn't give a rat rear end about the Eternals even with a good writer on them, but doing the amateur thing of killing an entire planet for shock value, especially when it ruins other writers' plans in the X-line (including Ewing's Mars title)? Bro, what are you doing??

99.9% sure Ewing was aware of this well before he started X-Men Red, and was completely on board for it. I'm expecting the tie-in issues to be really good.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Saoshyant posted:

Dude, Gillen is part of the X-Office (to say nothing of being an exceptionally talented writer) this isn't likely to be something he unilaterally foisted upon the rest of them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If there's anyone to give the benefit of the doubt it's gillen

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Uranos also didn't kill everyone.

Also, yeah, the X-Office is pretty good right now in collaborating and telling stories throughout every title and writers picking up threads from other books and working them in. This will fit into Ewing's story just fine.

You should read Eternals, too. It's really good.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1550578960614002688

:whitewater:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

If you didn't like X-Treme X-Men, you were merely not ready for X-Treme X-Men. That book was Claremont unchained but in a fun way.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dark Web looks like a full X-Men and Spider-Man crossover which means we'll get the Amazing Friends!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Dark Web looks like it's gonna be poo poo lol look at all that crap blinding your eyes

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Android Blues posted:

If you didn't like X-Treme X-Men, you were merely not ready for X-Treme X-Men. That book was Claremont unchained but in a fun way.

Bring back mesh top tentacle arm Callisto, imo

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Android Blues posted:

Larrydavidunsure.gif

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 23, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

No Lifeguard no buys.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Chris has carte blanche! We need at least 100 more Claremont X-Men books for X-history. Sure I still have several hundred to read, but it's nice to know they're there.

Larry Hama is allowed to write GI Joe comics until the end of time, we need more deals like that, just to see what happens.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Saoshyant posted:

this is not how crossovers are made. no one's plans were ruined. a writer does not unilaterally decide to blow up a planet without talking to editors and other writers.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

this is not how crossovers are made. no one's plans were ruined. a writer does not unilaterally decide to blow up a planet without talking to editors and other writers.

Yeah, you can only blow up a moon that way

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
What are the rules for dwarf planets?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Actually, I talked to Gillen and he told me that he deliberately blew up Mars just to piss off Ewing and ruin his story and didn't tell him and he had to read the comic to find out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well. even for x-men gambit sure didn't stay dead for long. also, who's the pale woman? domino has an eye spot.

edit: oh it's sage. since when is she devoid of skin pigmentation? and also i completely misunderstood the premise of this comic so scratch the gambit stuff too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 23, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well. even for x-men gambit sure didn't stay dead for long. also, who's the pale woman? domino has an eye spot.

edit: oh it's sage. since when is she devoid of skin pigmentation? and also i completely misunderstood the premise of this comic so scratch the gambit stuff too.

It would be very pleasing if this is in current continuity. Based on it being so in the style of his previous X-Treme run, I wondered if it took place right after that, or in some loose past continuity like Legends.

Ah, gotcha. But we do need Gambit back and Gambit fast. 2 Gambit 2 Furious.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

It would be very pleasing if this is in current continuity. Based on it being so in the style of his previous X-Treme run, I wondered if it took place right after that, or in some loose past continuity like Legends.

Claremont has gone on record saying he can't read modern X-Men runs because, to him, they still feel like his characters and he's attached to his versions of them. For a lot of comic book writers I'd call that silly, but he spent so long on Uncanny and basically built the lodestones of the franchise in the process that I get it. To him it's probably like reading fanfiction of a 1,000 page novel he wrote decades ago.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I say this with full knowledge that I'd love to see Claremont write a Krakoa story. It would be a beautiful mess, it would be bad comics, but I'd love to see him write dialogue in that milieu.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That makes sense for sure.

It is interesting that they say it has high stakes. And with Marvel's sliding timescale how long ago might this take place, 5 years? It would be interesting if some things happened in this which later do get referenced in current books. :Head explodes:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i wonder how many new superpowers chris will give sage this time

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Android Blues posted:

I say this with full knowledge that I'd love to see Claremont write a Krakoa story. It would be a beautiful mess, it would be bad comics, but I'd love to see him write dialogue in that milieu.

Same except I feel like his brain would melt because nearly every antagonist is there too standing right next to all his darlings. And Christ, can you imagine him trying to write Sinister now? The horror….

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Heavy Metal posted:

It says it’s right after x-treme x-men ended.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Does no one remember how X-Treme ended anymore? The surf board guy had to fly into the Sun to save Earth (because no one else could). This was followed by a celebratory party in a bathtub shared by Callisto, Storm, Sage, and Rogue.

That seems pretty conclusive and with no questions left unanswered. How would you make a sequel out of this ending?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

Isn't Claremont not the biggest fan of the current status quo?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

its not 1985 so yes

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Quick question: one of the early-ish Krakoa era stories went into Malice’s backstory and resurrection with her physical body again with Betsy(?) trying to help/appeal to her better nature. Has there been any follow up that, has she popped up again since then?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

iirc he hasn't read it but also

Alaois posted:

its not 1985 so yes

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Whenever I've read Claremont's more modern X-Stuff, I can appreciate the way he sort of has a "gently caress status quos" approach, but at the same time he spins up scenarios that aren't particularly compelling when presented without the build up of previous storylines

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Sentinel Red posted:

Quick question: one of the early-ish Krakoa era stories went into Malice’s backstory and resurrection with her physical body again with Betsy(?) trying to help/appeal to her better nature. Has there been any follow up that, has she popped up again since then?

Not yet, but that was a relatively recent Excalibur arc

Since Excalibur's follow-up, Knights of X, is centered in Otherworld, she's unlikely to appear there, so I'd bet it's a matter of "will anyone in the writer's room decide this character should show up again" and thus far no one's said yes (yet).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The more I read post-1991 Claremont X-Men, the more I am convinced his success is linked to having great editors who would rein him in or offer critical input. His later stuff feels a lot like George Lucas in 1999...

There are obviously other factors like having literally decades to develop characters and stories, a general shift in what is considered "modern" superhero storytelling, etc. But it feels like no one is telling him no.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Unrelated, but I'm really enjoying how the Krakoa Era has brought so much discussion in this thread. Before this, it was like the thread was treading water by bemoaning about how so-and-so event or writer are handling the X-Men badly. But now we get people being happy about their favorite characters being given a second chance, or several pages of discussion on the nature of Krakoa's human policies and what it means for them. :shobon:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Not yet, but that was a relatively recent Excalibur arc

drat, feels like it was ages ago, or maybe I just have no concept of time anymore. In any case, thank you.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wiegieman posted:

Uranos isn't just the most incredibly frightening of the Eternals on a personal level, though he is that, he's the guy who elevates weapons of mass destruction to a religious observance. Illuminated texts, in the style of a nuclear detonation.

"I promise I'll try to spare a hemisphere!" is one of the best villain brags I've read in a while.

This one about Thanos is pretty good too.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

danbanana posted:

The more I read post-1991 Claremont X-Men, the more I am convinced his success is linked to having great editors who would rein him in or offer critical input. His later stuff feels a lot like George Lucas in 1999...

There are obviously other factors like having literally decades to develop characters and stories, a general shift in what is considered "modern" superhero storytelling, etc. But it feels like no one is telling him no.

Claremont's original success is mostly about how he's drawing from a different influence pool than many of his contemporaries at the time. At a point in time when no one else was really doing it, he was writing reasonably sex-positive, female-friendly sci-fi soap opera. The only editors that he had a real history of clashing with, as far as I can tell, are Shooter and Harras.

He's also drawing from a period of sf history where creators were not at all afraid to let their freak flags fly. If you read interviews with Claremont about his creative influences, he'll mostly talk about Robert Heinlein and occasionally how much he hates John Norman.

You don't really see filter-off, no-holds-barred Claremont until the early '00s with X-Treme, and yeah, that feels like the editors weren't really holding him back. It's an overall hallmark of the period at Marvel, though, where a lot of random stuff was being thrown at the wall just to see what would stick.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I'm talking about his direct editors, most famously Nocenti and Simonson. There was clearly (and admittedly by all involved) a collaborative system during those periods that is getting harder for me to ignore as a contributor to how good the latter half of his run was.

This isn't meant to diminish his work. Just pointing out a major difference between the guy that gave us the Reavers and Rachel and the one who gave us the Neo and one-clawed Wolvie-Kitty.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MonsterEnvy posted:

This one about Thanos is pretty good too.

Honestly I'm stoked for X-men Red coming up, mostly I'm hoping that Ewing will come up with a way for Sunspot to beat him and start Arrako Idea Mechanics. God, that was a fun run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, the extent to which a lot of his post 2000 work is an engagement with Grant Morrison and a pushback against their premise is really interesting and fun to read through. I don't really agree with Claremont's side of that argument and many of the comics are insane but it's really cool to see him writing from the backfoot and choosing to work through the evolution of the franchise beyond where he left it, right there on the page. I feel like something similarly fascinating and messy could come out of him writing a Krakoan-era book.

Saoshyant posted:

Does no one remember how X-Treme ended anymore? The surf board guy had to fly into the Sun to save Earth (because no one else could). This was followed by a celebratory party in a bathtub shared by Callisto, Storm, Sage, and Rogue.

That seems pretty conclusive and with no questions left unanswered. How would you make a sequel out of this ending?

I think you're misremembering, it ends with Gambit and Bishop making gumbo and then they all get special cop badges. Maybe you just had a dream about X-Treme X-Men and got confused, it's ok, it happens to everyone.

Wanderer posted:

Claremont's original success is mostly about how he's drawing from a different influence pool than many of his contemporaries at the time. At a point in time when no one else was really doing it, he was writing reasonably sex-positive, female-friendly sci-fi soap opera. The only editors that he had a real history of clashing with, as far as I can tell, are Shooter and Harras.

He's also drawing from a period of sf history where creators were not at all afraid to let their freak flags fly. If you read interviews with Claremont about his creative influences, he'll mostly talk about Robert Heinlein and occasionally how much he hates John Norman.

You don't really see filter-off, no-holds-barred Claremont until the early '00s with X-Treme, and yeah, that feels like the editors weren't really holding him back. It's an overall hallmark of the period at Marvel, though, where a lot of random stuff was being thrown at the wall just to see what would stick.

I've recently been rereading a lot of early 21st century X-stuff and I feel a lot more positively about his latter-day books than I did a year ago. I do think danbanana is right. Nocenti and Simonson got a level of focus and brazenness from him that nobody else has-- even the wildest stuff he's done since then has a slightly languid, "well here we go" kind of feeling to it. There's not really that frisson of having a push and pull with a creative equal, and I definitely think both Nocenti and Simonson were his creative equals.

That being said I guess I'd kind of break it down like this, for me, personally, I know that a lot of people would rank all of these as equally pretty dire.

Legit Surprising and Delightful to Me
Nightcrawler
X-Men: The End
Uncanny X-Men (2004)
the Igor Kordey chunk of X-Treme X-Men
X-Men Black: Magneto
War Children

Interesting Failures
GeNext
X-Men Forever
Excalibur
New Excalibur
Fantastic Four

Bad
2000 X-Men and Uncanny X-Men
most of the Exiles stuff except him banging a wooden spoon against a frying pan and yelling "trans Mystique! trans Mystique!" in the village square
New Mutants Forever
the Larocca chunk of X-Treme X-Men
Black Sun
X-Women

Didn't Read It
-a bunch of one-shots

I think for me a part of it is coming from a professional perspective of liking to kick over the rocks in a writer's yard and see what bugs are crawling around underneath. Please believe that if a novelist wrote a string of novels as successful and influential to novels as Chris Claremont's Uncanny was to comics, and then spent the next 30 years just blithely writing about their kinks and deepest hang-ups with no supervision, there would be a million dissertations about that novelist. I love Claremont just being off the leash (or perhaps Claremont being... on the leash) and just following his whims around. I think he's earned that kind of sinecure and I've discovered that quite often the results are really quite fun and interesting.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 26, 2022