Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

HookShot posted:

"Time to make a quick, ten-second video to post online with breaking sports news. Where is the most natural place for me to do this? Obviously sitting at a weird angle in front of my open dryer."

It’s become a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Simplex posted:

He's a fine player, but I kind of think that if Bjorkstrand is on your top line your team is probably lovely.

In terms of even strength production in the last five years he's top 10-20 range for RWs
He's not a star but you normally get some blue chips at least for that

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Why are you ignoring the year he was 57-39? Also 59-52 is not barely outscoring. It's 53% which is really good! In all he has 4 seasons at equal or over 50% and 2 below.

He's still been outscored at 5x5 through his career but I'm not disputing that. However he goes from 42%xGF% to 49.2GF%. It's a really big difference!!!! And if you remove his Torts season he's at 51.5%

I'm using natural stat trick for this.

Because Laine of his first 2 years in the NHL is an utterly different proposition vs Laine of the last 4. Last year Laine received on ice shooting % of 10.24 and a (near as makes no difference) .920 sv% at 5s. Despite that he's 50/50 in goals for. He posted a career worse xG last year. Laine has never been north of 50% xG at 5v5 so idk what numbers you're looking at. If you're arguing he outperforms xG on shooting and then eliminate a season wow GG. Great. What will boost Laine is Gaudreau, but that doesn't mean Laine all of a sudden isn't an exceptionally one dimensional player that is a gigantic drag on his team and if goaltending doesn't continue to prop his numbers up it's going to be ugly.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Because Laine of his first 2 years in the NHL is an utterly different proposition vs Laine of the last 4. Last year Laine received on ice shooting % of 10.24 and a (near as makes no difference) .920 sv% at 5s. Despite that he's 50/50 in goals for. He posted a career worse xG last year. Laine has never been north of 50% xG at 5v5 so idk what numbers you're looking at. If you're arguing he outperforms xG on shooting and then eliminate a season wow GG. Great. What will boost Laine is Gaudreau, but that doesn't mean Laine all of a sudden isn't an exceptionally one dimensional player that is a gigantic drag on his team and if goaltending doesn't continue to prop his numbers up it's going to be ugly.

I don’t think you understand how cool it is to see him rip dingers.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Been looking at a lot of Matt Tkachuk trade proposals and most of them seem to be looking at the actual value he should get and not what Treliving will get in reality. The idea that the Flames would get something like Kyrou, Neighbours, Tarasenko, and a 1st from the Blues (for example) doesn't seem borne out in any recent high profile trades, especially when the player is tying the hands of the GM.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Laine is the player Kessel was always unjustly accused of being. Dude can really sock them dingers but it is the only thing he gives a poo poo about. Like when a coach talks all he has ever heard is the random trombone noises of Charlie Brown's teacher.

Signing him and moving Bjorkstrand is a pretty bad mistake.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hastily cobbled together lines before I have to leave for my friend's house.

Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine
Johnson-Roslovic-Voracek
Nyquist-Sillinger-Marchenko/Chinakhov
Texier-Kuraly-Chinakhov/Robinson
Robinson/Danforth

Werenski-Boqvist
Gavrikov-Blankenburg
Bean-Gudbranson
Peeke

Merzlikins
Korpisalo

E- Porty on the top line:

quote:

The thought is that Gaudreau's ability to create space and make plays could bring Laine's game to new heights. He was a point-a-game player last season, including a torrid goal-scoring stretch that harkened back to his early days with Winnipeg.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 22, 2022

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Mike_V posted:

Been looking at a lot of Matt Tkachuk trade proposals and most of them seem to be looking at the actual value he should get and not what Treliving will get in reality. The idea that the Flames would get something like Kyrou, Neighbours, Tarasenko, and a 1st from the Blues (for example) doesn't seem borne out in any recent high profile trades, especially when the player is tying the hands of the GM.

Yeah I agree with that. I could see it being a trade of Vlad Tarasenko + a decent prospect + a 1st round pick. Calgary fans go ballistic over trading Tkachuk for a dude on the downside of his career.

I don't really understand why Dallas or St. Louis would even entertain trades for the likes of Jason Robertson or Jordan Kyrou.. They are already rosters which *should* make the playoffs but swapping out their young star forward for Matthew Tkachuk doesn't exactly elevate either team to the ranks of the top cup contenders.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

Am I silly for thinking Columbus would have just been better off keeping Bjorkstrand and trading Laine?

Personally I would pick the 24 year old who is a reasonable bet for 30-40 goals and still has room to improve - especially now that one of the best playmaking wingers in the league is coming to the team - over the guy who is 3 years older and has had one good season ever.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

If you don't enjoy Kevin Weekes' dumb gimmick then you are probably a terrible person (less terrible than your average canadian hockey player ofc.)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

If you don't enjoy Kevin Weekes' dumb gimmick then you are probably a terrible person (less terrible than your average canadian hockey player ofc.)

From now on until someone proves me otherwise the only good one is Jarome Iginla.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Kevin Weekes appears to be the only broadcaster who understands that he is in the entertainment business.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I never said he was north of 50% at xG I said he was north of it in actual G% in specific seasons. He outperforms his xGF% by a huge margin every season and after however many seasons you need to look at that as a skill not as luck.

I'm not even saying he's worth the contract, cause I don't think he is. I'm saying after so many years of a player outperforming his analytics you can't just say his analytics suck so he sucks.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
lol 100% a "loving trade me by the deadline" deal

https://twitter.com/NHLJets/status/1550603136481611776

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

gently caress. Who's the next hope to play* until their 50. Joe Thornton should retire. Andy Green is still a UFA. Spezza and Keith retired.

Giordano could potentially be the oldest player in the league next year headed into his age-39 season, and is signed for 2 years. I am pulling for him.

*in the NHL. Sorry, Jagr.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Interesting that Laine and PLD both extended on the same day.

I'm curious to see if his entire career trajectory being manipulations to wind up in Montreal settles him down or if he really is a headcase in the room.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

Interesting that Laine and PLD both extended on the same day.

I'm curious to see if his entire career trajectory being manipulations to wind up in Montreal settles him down or if he really is a headcase in the room.

It does make you wonder if maybe he just wants to play in a market that isn't Winnipeg. Or maybe he just really isn't enjoying the style of hockey he's been playing the last few years and this is him exercising his right to not sign a long contract where he ends up stuck in a city he probably doesn't want to be in. He's not a terrible hockey player, but CBJ wasn't exactly a contender while he was there, and Winnipeg isn't either. I'd doubt that they make the playoffs unless Hellebuyck can drag them into a wild card spot in a 5/3 Central/Pacific playoff team split again.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Dubois gives me Ryan Johansen vibes. Not that they are the same player. But just guys who may be a touch overrated because they were drafted high, showed promise in their youth, but ultimately never become that certified number one center. There's still time for Dubois, though.

Maybe it's also because they were drafted by Columbus.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Eric Dubois is an assistant for the Manitoba moose. He's gotta feel real awkward about all this. Wonder if he'll get any reaction from fans next season

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Twin Cinema posted:

Dubois gives me Ryan Johansen vibes. Not that they are the same player. But just guys who may be a touch overrated because they were drafted high, showed promise in their youth, but ultimately never become that certified number one center. There's still time for Dubois, though.

Maybe it's also because they were drafted by Columbus.

Both Dubios and Eichel seems to me to be players that needs to get over themselves in order to actually unlock their potential.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Personally I would pick the 24 year old who is a reasonable bet for 30-40 goals and still has room to improve - especially now that one of the best playmaking wingers in the league is coming to the team - over the guy who is 3 years older and has had one good season ever.

This is the way im looking at it. Bjorkstrand has a lethal shot and is a piece under normal circumstances you wouldn't move, but "having Johnny Gaudreau and Patrik Laine on the same team" is not normal circumstances.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

This is the way im looking at it. Bjorkstrand has a lethal shot and is a piece under normal circumstances you wouldn't move, but "having Johnny Gaudreau and Patrik Laine on the same team" is not normal circumstances.

what about Erik Gudbranson?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I was choked the Sens only got a 2nd for Connor Brown, a 3rd for Bjorkstrand is highway robbery

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Starsfan posted:

what about Erik Gudbranson?

I just keep telling myself Johnny signed four hours later to help myself sleep at night.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Remember that famous checked out shift he did before Columbus sent him packing?

Who's ready for a whole season of that?????

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

Yeah I agree with that. I could see it being a trade of Vlad Tarasenko + a decent prospect + a 1st round pick. Calgary fans go ballistic over trading Tkachuk for a dude on the downside of his career.

I don't really understand why Dallas or St. Louis would even entertain trades for the likes of Jason Robertson or Jordan Kyrou.. They are already rosters which *should* make the playoffs but swapping out their young star forward for Matthew Tkachuk doesn't exactly elevate either team to the ranks of the top cup contenders.

I don’t think the Blues should trade Kyrou for Tkachuk in any form.

But the Blues are gonna do it because the fans here are crazy stupid and it would be beyond popular to trade for Tkachuk. Like, the stupid hype here over the possibility the Blues trade for him is just annoying. Yeah, he’s a good player, but the potential for overpay is super high. All because “OMG his royalty hockey family lives here.”

I have thought about it, and I do agree he would pair super well with Robert Thomas. Dare I say….Supernatural. But yeah, it’s gonna be an overpay.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If Tkachuk really wants to come to the Blues he'll just sign with them next summer. There's no reason for St Louis to break the bank for him now.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

gently caress. Who's the next hope to play* until their 50. Joe Thornton should retire. Andy Green is still a UFA. Spezza and Keith retired.

Giordano could potentially be the oldest player in the league next year headed into his age-39 season, and is signed for 2 years. I am pulling for him.

*in the NHL. Sorry, Jagr.
Craig Anderson is 41 and signed to Buffalo for next year.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Is this the thread we come to to say gently caress Hockey Canada?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Bilirubin posted:

nope

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If Tkachuk really wants to come to the Blues he'll just sign with them next summer. There's no reason for St Louis to break the bank for him now.

Well, this could be a good point if he was staying on calgary this year. But wherever he goes to he is signing a 8 year contract so he won’t be available to sign.

Which, again I am not saying they should trade for him.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

There's a thread just for that https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008004

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1550678358538833921?t=YXClHSM0Py9nq34u4yJ7Uw&s=19

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

For what, a 2030 first rounder?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/1550679078340026368

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

lol at the extension being reported first

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/1550679078340026368
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1550679590573690885

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is that going to work out for anybody?

That seems like it's not going to work out for anybody/.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Holy gently caress that’s a lot of money

Another 100 point player coming to the East :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff