Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

QuoProQuid posted:

the stevenses seem to have produced a family likely responsible for killing life on two planets

A least Tracy and Gordo were good characters. Now we're stuck with the psycho mum stalker and Jimmy nae pals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Gordo going bananas on the moon and then having a long redemption arc was great.

Same with Tracey pulling it together after becoming a total celebrity train wreck.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
FYI Wrenn Schmidt (Margo Madison) is in Nope for a minute though jsut about the only thing her character does is wear/remove/adjust a cowboy hat

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The survivors of the martian cliff collapse dust themselves off, only to find that they are all now infected with the martian microbe that was released when the aquifer blew.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Penitent posted:

Gordo going bananas on the moon and then having a long redemption arc was great.

Same with Tracey pulling it together after becoming a total celebrity train wreck.

I really miss Gordo and Tracey, they ruled.

Gordo going from a fat drunk on the after-dinner speakers circuit to getting his poo poo together and going back to the moon ruled. Even what could have been the desperately awful moment of declaring that he was going to try and win Tracey back ended up being great because her new husband basically said,"Tracey's her own woman, take your shot, it's up to her whether she's interested or not and I'll just have to deal with that."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TIP posted:

Dalton Wilcox, poet laureate of Mars

He gets on Ed's good side by murdering all the Soviets and saying that they were vampires.

Sivart13 posted:

FYI Wrenn Schmidt (Margo Madison) is in Nope for a minute though jsut about the only thing her character does is wear/remove/adjust a cowboy hat

It is definitely weird seeing her with the same hair but looking a lot younger.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I've been watching an episode a night for the past few weeks to catch up to this season and been enjoying seasons 1 and 2, but this episode (s3e7) is the absolute breaking point that I admit this show loving sucks rear end now.
The warning sign started with the Danny/Karen stuff last season and I somehow thought the writers would listen to fan feedback and retool for season 3. Nope.
Guys, this episode was complete garbage and the culmination of about 4 or 5 stretched out episodes' poorly conceived plots in a row. It's over, this is now a bad show, sorry.

The last few shows have felt like the worst years of The Walking Dead where characters backslide into stupidity or hide secrets/don't communicate to fill time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
“You seem good and high, you should be in charge of communications while we are out on the dangerous away mission. Maybe later we will figure out where you are getting the pills and if you have any left.”

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jerusalem posted:

Also also, I think it was mentioned briefly but where did the drill come from? The Soviets didn't bring it so was it on Phoenix (which seems most likely)?

Yeah it was on the Phoenix, there was a line about them sending it down.

Judoon Platoon posted:

gently caress Danny, justice for PJ.

Danny sucks but that annoying robot dog had it coming tbh. Can you imagine trying to work with its constant tinny barking and panting in the background? I'd have probably done the same especially after already asking the guy to keep it away from me once.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah it was on the Phoenix, there was a line about them sending it down.

Thanks, I should have gone back to rewatch but some some reason I heard it as "NASA are sending it in a couple of days" and I thought,"Well obviously that's not right...." for a vast multitude of reasons.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Jerusalem posted:

I really miss Gordo and Tracey, they ruled.

Gordo going from a fat drunk on the after-dinner speakers circuit to getting his poo poo together and going back to the moon ruled.
this is something I hated at the time in S2, it bothered me how hard Ed was working to bring Gordo specifically back to NASA. There's surely a ton of qualified candidates who could do the job just as well. Bringing in your old space friend is step N on the endless road to nepotism gerontocracy that this show seems to crave.

compared to the Ed+Danny stuff it's amazing though

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sivart13 posted:

this is something I hated at the time in S2, it bothered me how hard Ed was working to bring Gordo specifically back to NASA. There's surely a ton of qualified candidates who could do the job just as well. Bringing in your old space friend is step N on the endless road to nepotism gerontocracy that this show seems to crave.

I've wondering how much of this is just a Ron Moore blindspot (this is exactly the kind of politics that BSG descended into) and how much is him trying to rework an idea from an earlier show that he never got the chance to properly criticise.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

withak posted:

The survivors of the martian cliff collapse dust themselves off, only to find that they are all now infected with the martian microbe that was released when the aquifer blew.

Ed and Danny are also infected. It turns out this significantly lengthens their lifespans. Buckle up for 5 more seasons of Ed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

compared to the Ed+Danny stuff it's amazing though

Each season Ed gets just a little more entitled/stubborn and I'm still not entirely sure if the writers are doing it deliberately to show his ego is a big problem or if they think he's legit a Super Astronaut. They keep showing all the terrible, terrible mistakes he makes but also he keeps being painted as the hero/the guy you want in charge of a mission, to the detriment of the rest of NASA (and even moreso now that he's not at NASA!).

Like the Danny storyline is awful, but Danielle laid it out right at the start to Ed that he was in a bad place, he wasn't suitable for space until he dealt with his issues, and continually overlooking his problems like they did with Gordo was a recipe for disaster... and here we are!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I thought that episode was perfectly fine. Don't we get one of these each season? Setting the table for the end of the season and it doesn't really stand on its own. Though I do agree the Earth drama bits are less interesting than they ever have been.

Surprised to hear the Helios crew is a dozen+. I kinda bought the idea that it's just Danny and dogboy in the hab so they're a bit shorthanded, otherwise why would you give Danny any job that mattered, but a dozen crew is not shorthanded.

Pam is back, yay Pam?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
damnit Ellen, why aren't you wearing a seatbelt!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

pokeyman posted:

I thought that episode was perfectly fine. Don't we get one of these each season? Setting the table for the end of the season and it doesn't really stand on its own.

I don't think most peoples' problem with the episode was all the setup, I think it's mostly the really dumb poo poo like Ed putting Danny in a position where he's responsible for peoples' safety on an important mission when Ed knew Danny was high as a kite, or the nerdy guy having to leave his station to use a loving calculator or whatever he was doing. Stupid poo poo that made no sense happening so that there could be a disaster, it was just bad writing.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
[quote="Chef Boyardeez Nuts" po

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

NASA is totally gonna get Oklahoma City'd

Jimmy will have the trigger and be all "I don't wanna do it!" and then the "Danny is the first murder and drug addict on Mars and has been executed" news breaks and he's all "THE CONSPIRACY IS AIMED AT ME!!!!" and then he presses the button.

Spacebump posted:

Ed and Danny are also infected. It turns out this significantly lengthens their lifespans. Buckle up for 5 more seasons of Ed.

They open the Hab and Edanny shuffles out, the Infection has merged them into a nightmare creature.

Fortunately Karen is into it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought this episode was fine too, though it’s really taking way too long to resolve the Danny plot and everything else is just wheel spinning. I still like it, though they clearly didn’t have enough material for 10 episodes and probably should’ve gone with 8.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I think people are being too hard on zonked-out Danny stuff. People in high-pressure situations and professions taking drugs to cope is incredibly common, a fact that Ed acknowledges when he says “think I haven’t seen a pilot high on go-pills before?” Ed, clearly having a blind spot with Danny, and a rather old-fashioned attitude that fits with his character, thinks it’s unacceptable but not a big deal, and that a stern talking-to will sort everything out. Danny gets given a boring simple job that he shares with another person who can cover for him, but it turns out that not only is Danny far more off his face than Ed realised, but he had to actively want to potentially kill Ed to allow things to go as badly as they did. The episode was weak because it was all setup, or continuations of plot lines that we already know where they’re going, with little payoff. But everything that happened in the episode was pretty reasonable.

I wonder if when Almeida inevitably confronts Margo she will explicitly layout the themes of the show and basically say “yeah of course I’ve been giving the Soviets info! Imagine what would have happened if we’d got to the Moon first - funding would have been cut and none of the progress we’ve made in space would have happened. We need the Soviets there to keep pushing us to improve. I don’t give a gently caress about America or the Soviet Union, we’re doing this… *looks at camera* For All Mankind.”

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like there are just scenes missing from the episode. Stuff they wrote & filmed but just cut out at the end. Like a scene where Ed confronts Denny in private first, without much success, leading to the public confrontation. A scene where Ed confiscates the meds. A scene where Denny gets clean and rebuilds some trust with the crew. A scene where Denny uses his admin access to get the meds back after watching a message from Karen.

Also, lmao, I have absolutely no idea how old Gordo's earth based kid is supposed to be. I mean, the actor looks like a 40 year old man in a bad wig, but of course that doesn't mean anything. I assumed he is a 20 something college dropout living with his brother, but then his room looks like he's in highschool.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Relevant:

https://twitter.com/independent/status/1550819035587166208

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Comrade Fakename posted:

I wonder if when Almeida inevitably confronts Margo she will explicitly layout the themes of the show and basically say “yeah of course I’ve been giving the Soviets info! Imagine what would have happened if we’d got to the Moon first - funding would have been cut and none of the progress we’ve made in space would have happened. We need the Soviets there to keep pushing us to improve. I don’t give a gently caress about America or the Soviet Union, we’re doing this… *looks at camera* For All Mankind.”

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It’s probably a weakness of the Helios mission that they have so much money and luxury, that they can hire a person who is not ready for space travel, and that that person can get so hosed up on the mission without anyone noticing.

It would never happen with the NASA people.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’m wondering if this confrontation will happen just as the sabateurs hit NASA and either Aleida dies before she can alert anyone else and Margot has to live with the literal wreckage of her program or else Margot goes out doing something heroic to redeem herself and/or because she’s heartbroken she’ll never see her Russian bae with no lungs again.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Try and stop them

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

I mean... I understand why you probably don't want semen floating around in zero-G, but it seems preeeeetty far-fetched that it would make its way into a vagina and the sperm would still be viable. They should build special devices for jerking off like they did for peeing

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Lol this show literally has Danny kick a puppy

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

tokin opposition posted:

To be fair, it was super annoying.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

shirunei posted:

my favorite part was failson actually confronting what his parents meant to other people in a meaningful way, but then immediately being like "naw actually i will embrace the selfish anger inside of myself instead of caring" when the bubbas bring their loot back. otherwise the earth plots are super dogshit overall? Aleida's scene with her husband was so laughably bad acting wise that people are in here guessing they are separated, and she is getting setup to von braun margo. UGH.

im still like wowie zowie SPACESHIPS, but this season is just a turd mostly on the drama side, which is a problem for a show about the relationships built around space exploration.

Is it really selfish anger knowing that your parents were taken from you and you don't even know the whole story from the government who has lied and hushed it up?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the only thing the government hushed up was that it was a secret second reactor that they saved from meltdown. They changed the story to be that they stopped the main, publicly known, reactor from melting down. This spawned conspiracies from people who think they know what really happened who know there was a secondary cooling loop, so the story to them doesn't make sense. But the story as he knows it is 90+% true.

I'm not really sure what they think the conspiracy even is. All that marine knows is that the reactor had two cooling loops, so it couldn't have been melting down. So then what? What does he think really happened? That the deep state killed Tracy and Gordo for no reason?

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 23, 2022

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I think the only thing the government hushed up was that it was a secret second reactor that they saved from meltdown. They changed the story to be that they stopped the main, publicly known, reactor from melting down. This spawned conspiracies from people who think they know what really happened who know there was a secondary cooling loop, so the story to them doesn't make sense. But the story as he knows it is 90+% true.

I'm not really sure what they think the conspiracy even is. All that marine knows is that the reactor had two cooling loops, so it couldn't have been melting down. So then what? What does he think really happened? That the deep state killed Tracy and Gordo for no reason?

The government hushed up that they build a secret nuclear reactor for military purposes, broke a treaty with the Soviets that would have started a war, hosed it up and got his parents killed because of it. The conspiracy is that the government isn't telling the whole truth and are keeping secrets for a reason, much like earlier when von braums report was hushed up and Margo used it to advance her career

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, but they have the failson saying things like "too bad it never happened" as if he thinks the incident itself never happened and his parents just died in some other random fashion.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

There are way too many scifi watchers wouldn't get how violating Danny's behavior is without the overt violence.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do agree that they kind of dropped the ball with the Danny bit this week because yeah, maybe make sure that a crewmember isn't currently high as gently caress before giving him a mission critical task.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Penitent posted:

Why did the 90's garage band he hangs around with need a key card to steal a statue that is out in front of the building? Also, are we to believe that NASA doesn't have round the clock security?

That was a trophy for the Jimmy, for getting the keycard. They did or will do something far larger. That receptionist who greeted Jimmy is gonna die, and he’s gonna feel major guilt.

As for security, NASA got slack? I visited JSC in 2004, paid for the Level 9 tour, and even after 9/11 security wasn’t super-tight (except around Mission Control, which basically has armored doors and guard stations). I hear it was pretty open back in the old days aside from critical areas.

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 23, 2022

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey guys, I have to run these numbers by hand way over here away from the live data because even though I work for a techbro firm we’re too cheap to have the numbers calculated for us, have an excel spread sheet open with equations set up just to punch in variables or anything that looks like basic common sense.

Oh, and make sure I never consider making someone else run the numbers, doublecheck that numbers are being monitored, have no failsafes and have a raging rear end in a top hat that’s just been identified has being high as a kite in a major role. poo poo, the only thing keeping them from being Star Trek is that I presume there are fuses in their electrical system.

What in the gently caress were you thinking Ed?? Why didn’t you confine him to quarters on the orbiting ship until he was clean and sober? Why aren’t you monitoring the distribution of controlled substances on your base? I know techbros are incompetent but this is a bit rich.

Yeah, that whole thing had my head tilting, like yeah let's have the fuckup, and everyone knows he's a fuckup, monitor poo poo during a key operation. Not the time to go "run numbers".

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yeah America in the show's timeline is blissfully unaware of how bad a zealot with access to a hardware store can be.

Edit: it's perfectly natural that Ed would assume that ordering someone to get their poo poo together would rectify the issue because that's his whole deal.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah America in the show's timeline is blissfully unaware of how bad a zealot with access to a hardware store can be.

Edit: it's perfectly natural that Ed would assume that ordering someone to get their poo poo together would rectify the issue because that's his whole deal.

For Ed, sure. But the whole thing is that the blow up with Danny happened in front of EVERYONE. The dude there with Danny even gives Danny the sideeye when Danny gets up to grab another oxy. Had they done the same story line, but with Ed quietly confronting Danny, it would have been much better. But this show seems to have decided against any subtlety. It's soap opera-esque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

This season is definitely relying too much on characters being dumb and stupid.