Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Have you tried a straightening iron? Like for hair? They make some smaller sized ones that may or may not get into those nooks and crannies. Otherwise yeah sewing or hot glue might be your best bet

Never thought of either of these ideas, lol, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Got a stapler and some patience?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

Nah, it's a more rigid backpack. Other iron on patches I ended up sewing on, which was awkward and tricky due to the way the bag was designed but it worked. I'll probably just have to do that again! Improves my sewing skills at least :sickos:

When I went backpacking I collected patches from all the places I visited, and I ended up sewing them on, including the iron-on ones.

Actually, I keep forgetting that I still have a bunch to do, over a decade later. Probably because sewing patches onto a backpack is really difficult and fiddly and easy to put off doing...

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
What is the best way to get rid of a gas dryer as soon as possible? I've put it up for free, and all the donation centers are booked out until mid August.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

When I went backpacking I collected patches from all the places I visited, and I ended up sewing them on, including the iron-on ones.

Actually, I keep forgetting that I still have a bunch to do, over a decade later. Probably because sewing patches onto a backpack is really difficult and fiddly and easy to put off doing...

That's tight! And yeah, definitely fiddly. Mine's a disc golf backpack so it's got even weirder shaped pockets, haha.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Trickortreat posted:

What is the best way to get rid of a gas dryer as soon as possible? I've put it up for free, and all the donation centers are booked out until mid August.

Check your trash pickup. Mine will take one oversized item, including stuff like dryers at each pickup.

There are junk hauling companies who will take it off your hands, but you have to pay. If estimate a dryer to be around $100.

If you are getting a new one, many places delivering the new one will haul away old ones.

Final resort is to set it on the curb with a sign that says working and free and hope someone takes it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is condo insurance like car insurance where if something happens to my unit from theirs I can file a claim with their insurance myself, or do they still have to start the claim

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Trickortreat posted:

Put it on the curb and one of the random guys driving around in a pickup truck collecting scrap will probably pick it up in a day or two.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Tad Naff posted:

Alternate stupid/small question, can you get Amazon to not use certain couriers?

Not that I'm aware of, at least, not in :911:. I don't think they've had the option to pick specific carriers... hell, it may have been ever, but certainly not in the last 10-15 years. In my experiences, it's usually their own Amazon trucks or FedEx leaving stuff at the door, sometimes USPS in the mailbox, rarely UPS or other carriers (Regional ones, random dudes in U-Haul trucks, whatever).

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Put it on the curb and one of the random guys driving around in a pickup truck collecting scrap will probably pick it up in a day or two.

This would be my suggestion. There is always someone that knows a guy that picks up stuff like that from neighborhoods.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Trickortreat posted:

Call any local used appliance place. They will come pick it up from you for free to fix and resell.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I want to buy some NFL tickets but haven't done this in a real long time. The seats I want are sold out but there's plenty I would want on seatgeek, stubhub etc...

Are any of these aftermarket sites better than another? Or other alternatives?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So you know how in despicable me, it's stated the minions are mutated corn that Gru made himself? (I know that's retconned by the minions movie, but THAT movie is retconned later as a propaganda film to hide they're mutated corn.)

Do you think they would grow on a cob? Also, if you ate one would it taste like corned fed meat, or would it just be really juciy and sweet like corn? I don't know if this question has an answer, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I dunno but I'd be surprised if there wasn't already a Minions breakfast cereal perhaps based on Cap'n Crunch. I imagine an actual minion would be juicier, maybe a bit rubbery like octopus.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Boba Pearl posted:

So you know how in despicable me, it's stated the minions are mutated corn that Gru made himself? (I know that's retconned by the minions movie, but THAT movie is retconned later as a propaganda film to hide they're mutated corn.)

Do you think they would grow on a cob? Also, if you ate one would it taste like corned fed meat, or would it just be really juciy and sweet like corn? I don't know if this question has an answer, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

do u think the minions get embarrassed when they poo out corn in front of gru??? sorry if this ofends anyone but i thought it was a funny thing haha. and i would like to know if any of you have any pics of minions pooping a corn while they look nervous or embarrassed i just want to see it for a few laughs haha. another thing i am wondering is what do you think the corn smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell them

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Trickortreat posted:

Search for scrap metal pickup in your local craiglist equivalent.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FCKGW posted:

I want to buy some NFL tickets but haven't done this in a real long time. The seats I want are sold out but there's plenty I would want on seatgeek, stubhub etc...

Are any of these aftermarket sites better than another? Or other alternatives?

Those are the main ones, and I think the NFL or team website might do the same as well.

Depending on which stadium/game you’re trying to go to, it can sometimes be easier to wait to closer to the time of the game to see if seats open up or costs go down (Risk of costs going up is possible, of course). You might want to ask in TFF, as there may be fans of the specific team who know more about the ticket prices or can offer advice.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Do bees pupate to their full adult size or are they smaller at first?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

YggiDee posted:

Do bees pupate to their full adult size or are they smaller at first?

Bees do all of their growing as larvae. When they pupate to adults they are the biggest they'll be.

Honey bees tend to distribute resources evenly to the larvae so they don't really have a lot of size variation among the workers. In other groups, like bumble bees, it can vary a lot depending on how much they are fed while growing. The smallest adult bumble bees stay in the hive and are stuck doing nursery duties and you typically never see them. Their bigger sisters are the only ones that go out to forage.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

See also ants, which function the same way as honeybees. Ants are awesome.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We're keeping track of all the insects in my Mom's garden and there's so many species I can never be sure if I'm watching a smallish regular bumble bee or a regular sized small bumble bee.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I drink lite beer because I am a garbage blue collar worker. I drink Miller Lite which is Union made because I am a Union Thug. On most of the bottles and cans there is a tiny little "UNION MADE" just above the hops at the bottom right of the logo. It's a fun little party trick to show people, particularly in Texas when they are drinking Miller Lite and bashing unions.

For some reason, not all of them have it, maybe 20% that I've noticed if I had to take a wild guess. Why don't they all have it? Is it coming from different plants? But if that's the case why are different plants all shipping to the same city in Texas?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The other 80% have stickers that say “Scab made” but they probably peeled off

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

YggiDee posted:

We're keeping track of all the insects in my Mom's garden and there's so many species I can never be sure if I'm watching a smallish regular bumble bee or a regular sized small bumble bee.

Do you live in North America? This book can help with bumble bees. It can be found on Amazon and it's pretty common in bookstores too

https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691152226/bumble-bees-of-north-america

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've heard of that book and Mom has been desperately resisting buying it, because as it is she has several bee books and at least one wasp book and a hoverfly book and a firefly book and I believe two dragonfly/damselfly books if we purchase one more insect book this year Dad might actually *riot*.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
anyone know where the classic "rocketship with a porthole" originally came from?

This style:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Facetious posted:

anyone know where the classic "rocketship with a porthole" originally came from?

This style:

Woman in the Moon (1929) is a clear forerunner.

This is a production still. In the film itself, the fins are closer to the ideal, but the portholes are less prominent.

Destination Moon did it in 1950. Take your pick of comic or film.

Don’t ask what their inspiration was. It’s the Nazi V-2.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Platystemon posted:

Don’t ask what their inspiration was. It’s the Nazi V-2.

Pretty sure the entire space industry got their inspiration from it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

YggiDee posted:

I've heard of that book and Mom has been desperately resisting buying it, because as it is she has several bee books and at least one wasp book and a hoverfly book and a firefly book and I believe two dragonfly/damselfly books if we purchase one more insect book this year Dad might actually *riot*.

Your mom sounds cool. You should defy your father :colbert:.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mister Facetious posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've got a pair of Redback Alpine boots that I really like, but as I wear them the tongue always shifts out of position, off to the side, towards the outside of my foot.

I realise this a long shot, but is there anything I can do to stop that happening?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mister Facetious posted:

Inspiration? NASA hired the dudes who made it!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

I've got a pair of Redback Alpine boots that I really like, but as I wear them the tongue always shifts out of position, off to the side, towards the outside of my foot.

I realise this a long shot, but is there anything I can do to stop that happening?

I’m sure there’s a cheap DIY solution, but cobblers are still around and this is one of the many things that they can fix.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Platystemon posted:

I’m sure there’s a cheap DIY solution, but cobblers are still around and this is one of the many things that they can fix.

That's a really good point!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I used the urinals in the local mall yesterday, and when I was washing my hands after I noticed the cubicle doors are frosted glass. I could kinda see the silhouette of people pooping and that weirded me out a bit. Am I weird or is that bathroom weird?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Crankit posted:

Am I weird or is that bathroom weird?

Yes

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

I used the urinals in the local mall yesterday, and when I was washing my hands after I noticed the cubicle doors are frosted glass. I could kinda see the silhouette of people pooping and that weirded me out a bit. Am I weird or is that bathroom weird?

It's probably intentionally uncomfortable in an attempt to keep people from being weird in the bathrooms.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
Are there any marine fungi?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I have YouTube Premium and there are a lot of free movies and shows I can watch, but is there really no way to search for specific titles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

artsy fartsy posted:

I have YouTube Premium and there are a lot of free movies and shows I can watch, but is there really no way to search for specific titles?

The normal search function is no good for that?