Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Gotta say, Fire Emblem Three Houses runs like a charm on Yuzu. I am very pleasantly surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Is there something I'm missing that lets me hotswitch bluetooth devices quickly, reliably, and easily?

For example I have a wireless controller in my living room connected to my Pi.
How can I reliably connect it to the Deck when desired? Do I have to disconnect it from the Pi first? Do I have to do this every time? What's the "better way"?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Truga posted:

if you wanna run xivlauncher, idk how much more complicated that is these days but i know it's much better than it used to be

Not too bad. It's in the Discover store. They wrote their own guide for Steam Deck. https://goatcorp.github.io/faq/steamdeck.html

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Tibbeh posted:

Gotta say, Fire Emblem Three Houses runs like a charm on Yuzu. I am very pleasantly surprised

The last few Yuzu flatpak builds crash going into the actual game, I've been using Ryujinx in the meantime but the monastery's lighting is completely busted.

Yuzu used to work fine so I don't know what it is about the runtime or the emulator build that suddenly broke.

e: oh, whoops I thought this was the Linux gaming thread. This isn't on a Deck, just a regular AMDGPU gaming PC.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GolfHole posted:

Is there something I'm missing that lets me hotswitch bluetooth devices quickly, reliably, and easily?

For example I have a wireless controller in my living room connected to my Pi.
How can I reliably connect it to the Deck when desired? Do I have to disconnect it from the Pi first? Do I have to do this every time? What's the "better way"?

This is the poo poo that makes me hate Bluetooth. Hoping someone has a good tactic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Truga posted:

the easiest way to play ff14 is probably to just extract proton-GE from github into .steam/steam/compatibilitytools.d/ and use that to run the game, you can select a custom proton version in game properties once you extract it and restart steam

if you wanna run xivlauncher, idk how much more complicated that is these days but i know it's much better than it used to be

The launcher saves me from having to type my password in every time because that technology is too advanced for Square.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Truga posted:

xiv launcher is way easier

Just follow this guide:
https://goatcorp.github.io/faq/steamdeck.html

It's how I did it.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Truga posted:

the easiest way to play ff14 is probably to just extract proton-GE from github into .steam/steam/compatibilitytools.d/ and use that to run the game, you can select a custom proton version in game properties once you extract it and restart steam

I'm so scared of third party tools that I won't even run a parser, so the first method sounds better to me, but I basically don't understand any of those words. If the OP or anyone else could explain that to me as if I were a child, I would be much obliged.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tiny Timbs posted:

The launcher saves me from having to type my password in every time because that technology is too advanced for Square.

i'm a dumbass with the OTP, but i'm constantly super tempted to move to launcher and remove the OTP because jesus christ square

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Truga posted:

i'm a dumbass with the OTP, but i'm constantly super tempted to move to launcher and remove the OTP because jesus christ square

I still keep the OTP on because I’m fine typing in a six digit number, it’s digging out my super-complicated password in 1Password that sucks. At least on PC I can just copy and paste.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xalidur posted:

I'm so scared of third party tools that I won't even run a parser, so the first method sounds better to me, but I basically don't understand any of those words. If the OP or anyone else could explain that to me as if I were a child, I would be much obliged.

if you go to desktop mode, there's a hidden directory in your homedir. either .steam/steam or .local/share/steam/steam or somesuch (i think it depends on your distro? i don't have a deck yet)

in that directory, you make a directory named "compatibilitytools.d" if it doesn't exist, and you extract https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases/ this version of proton into there (the 400mb tar.gz file). it should go into its own subdirectory like so:

(i have multiple versions because i keep working ones for various games just in case)

then restart steam, and you can go into app properties and in the compatibility tab you can force a specific proton version and the GE version will show up:

and that's it. pick the version from dropdown, run game. launcher is a bit wonky sometimes, i have to scroll down to see the username/password fields because the html is wack, but it works fine

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ShaneB posted:

This is the poo poo that makes me hate Bluetooth. Hoping someone has a good tactic.

I think modern devices just have separate hardware bluetooth buttons: pairing 1, pairint 2, etc.

Bluetooth could stand for some compatibility-breaking updates. Attempting to share a bluetooth speaker between phones is also a nightmare.

Honestly one of the masterstrokes of the Switch was that one could just physically connect a controller to it for a second then all pairing was said and done.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

XIVLauncher is the way to go for FFXIV, especially if you have the non steam version of the game.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Truga posted:

if you go to desktop mode, there's a hidden directory in your homedir. either .steam/steam or .local/share/steam/steam or somesuch (i think it depends on your distro? i don't have a deck yet)

in that directory, you make a directory named "compatibilitytools.d" if it doesn't exist, and you extract https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases/ this version of proton into there (the 400mb tar.gz file). it should go into its own subdirectory like so:

(i have multiple versions because i keep working ones for various games just in case)

then restart steam, and you can go into app properties and in the compatibility tab you can force a specific proton version and the GE version will show up:

and that's it. pick the version from dropdown, run game. launcher is a bit wonky sometimes, i have to scroll down to see the username/password fields because the html is wack, but it works fine

Thanks! This is perfectly clear to my pea brain.

quote:

XIVLauncher is the way to go for FFXIV, especially if you have the non steam version of the game.

But it's against the TOS and what if they ban my account? :<

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Truga posted:

What is GE fixing here? I think FFXIV's official launcher is working in Proton Experimental now. Not sure the state of the 3rd party launcher.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Aardvark Barber posted:

You can even copy your files over on LAN so you don't have to download the whole thing again.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The GE Proton releases tend to have patches that are too spicy for a corporate entity to carry, either because of patents or because they haven't seen enough use yet. Like WMF video playback support. See also: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom#overview

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Xalidur posted:

Thanks! This is perfectly clear to my pea brain.

But it's against the TOS and what if they ban my account? :<

If you're that paranoid, you can go into the XIVLauncher settings, click the "Dalamud" heading, and uncheck "Enable Dalamud". Dalamud is the plugin loader, so with it disabled all XIVLauncher is doing is game updates and game launch, identical to the official launcher.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Yeah at that point using XIVLauncher would be like adding XIV as a non-steam game.

EDIT: If it were against the ToS, using the steam UI on the steam deck would be against the ToS as well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ColdPie posted:

What is GE fixing here? I think FFXIV's official launcher is working in Proton Experimental now. Not sure the state of the 3rd party launcher.

game crashes on launch if you don't tell it to skip some video iirc, which proton-ge does

also, the game won't bug out if you try to watch ARR or HW cinematic, because GE ships with more video codecs

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Tibbeh posted:

Yah I've been playing it for the past week or two.

Only issue is some of the textures glitch out at times.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
If you delete a shader cache directory (~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/(game id)), does it automatically redownload the precached shaders on the next startup of the game, or does it only demand-build them at that point?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Truga posted:

I don't know why you wouldn't have ProtonUp-QT just handle the process of getting other Proton versions installed/sorted vs pulling from a github page yourself, but I guess if you are used to it it's splitting hairs

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/how-to-install-proton-ge-on-the-steam-deck

The latter is easier with just the on screen keyboard (to search discover, and even then you could browse for it without doing so) + desktop mode and not needing to do much more.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does Oxygen Not Included not have fancy Steam Deck integration when you run the Epic version? I got it there because it was on sale for $10 but there are no community layouts and the generic ones didn’t seem to work. I think I remember someone here saying it has nice button labels and stuff for the Deck.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Steam Input is a part of the SteamWorks API which is built in to the Steam client.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Good to know, thanks. I’ll get a refund and wait for the Steam version to get a price cut.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Steam Deck in hand! First thought: holy poo poo this is lighter and thinner than I imagined.

I haven’t actually played anything yet because all games are loving massive, and this seems to be struggling to hit 10MB/sec when close to my wifi router. Also why is rocket league 20 something gigs!?

Are you not able to download things with the screen off? The power button seems to suspend everything, if I leave it alone plugged in the screen doesn’t ever turn off.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mine usually caps at around 30-40 MB/s

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Nuts and Gum posted:

Steam Deck in hand! First thought: holy poo poo this is lighter and thinner than I imagined.

I haven’t actually played anything yet because all games are loving massive, and this seems to be struggling to hit 10MB/sec when close to my wifi router. Also why is rocket league 20 something gigs!?

Are you not able to download things with the screen off? The power button seems to suspend everything, if I leave it alone plugged in the screen doesn’t ever turn off.
Turn on dev mode options, turn off the power save for WiFi.

Also yes you cannot download and have the screen off, it sucks but also I guess it's so people don't try to throw it in the case as it can get hot with the 5ghz radio and the m2/sd cards.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

minusX posted:

Turn on dev mode options, turn off the power save for WiFi.

Also yes you cannot download and have the screen off, it sucks but also I guess it's so people don't try to throw it in the case as it can get hot with the 5ghz radio and the m2/sd cards.

Thank you! Oh that actually makes a ton of sense.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

minusX posted:

I don't know why you wouldn't have ProtonUp-QT just handle the process of getting other Proton versions installed/sorted vs pulling from a github page yourself, but I guess if you are used to it it's splitting hairs

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/how-to-install-proton-ge-on-the-steam-deck

The latter is easier with just the on screen keyboard (to search discover, and even then you could browse for it without doing so) + desktop mode and not needing to do much more.

yeahhh sorry, i just do a oneliner to curl and tar xvf the tarball since beforetimes and haven't bothered looking up anything else since it works for me

but guy said he had no idea what the gently caress so i posted clearer instructions on what i do :v:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Animal posted:

Whats wrong about playing with it on the airplane? I was on a 5 hour flight and it was great. Plugged it into an outlet and played MGSV at 60fps for over 3 hours. Hands never cramped like they would with a Nintendo Switch.

I've mentioned it before, but the Switch has a few viable grip options for adult hands that make it comfortable to hold; Skull & Co and Satifye are two prominent options. Fortunately, the Dreck has built-in grips because Valve didn't design it to be used by kids.

Nuts and Gum posted:

That was my first impression: sure, it's wide, but the height and depth are well within reason, so I didn't feel that it was as huge as others had described.

For your Wifi, are you by any chance using 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz? The latter, if an option for you, should be faster overall, partially due to less congestion.

And anecdotally, Rocket League was one of those games that I would just install on a new device, a laptop, the Switch, the Dreck, whatever, and then I finally realized that I never play it and uninstalled it from everything, freeing up a ton of space overall.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anyone know where Pathfidner: Kingmaker stores portraits on the deck? I really cannot figure this one out. The one problem with the Deck is that the file systems are all different, especially when proton is involved. This makes modding very frustrating, even if it’s just adding a bunch of pictures to a folder.

SerCypher posted:

Yah I've been playing it for the past week or two.

Only issue is some of the textures glitch out at times.

I feel like it really drains the battery and maxes the fans out, unless that’s normal for y’all? Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

jokes posted:

Anyone know where Pathfidner: Kingmaker stores portraits on the deck? I really cannot figure this one out. The one problem with the Deck is that the file systems are all different, especially when proton is involved. This makes modding very frustrating, even if it’s just adding a bunch of pictures to a folder.

I feel like it really drains the battery and maxes the fans out, unless that’s normal for y’all? Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

All the games get their own reproduction of an entire C: drive so it should be the same as on Windows once you find the game’s folder. It’ll be something like “Home\.steam\steam\steamapps\compatdata\[numbers]\pfx\drive_c\”

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That… makes total sense it’s work that way. I’ll tinker and see what shakes out— thanks!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You’ll have to turn on hidden folders to be able to see the ones that start with “.”

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I've had my deck for about a month and I love it. My only hangup is that when downloads happen while I'm on battery power, sometimes the system just stops seeing the battery and shuts down. Then I have to plug it in, turn it back on, do another full shutdown, and turn it back on again before the battery stops showing as 0%. This has only happened twice so far but it sure is annoying.

I'll file a ticket with support, but for those who have been through the RMA process, how complicated is it? If I have already recycled the box will they send a new one?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Trucker Hat posted:

I've had my deck for about a month and I love it. My only hangup is that when downloads happen while I'm on battery power, sometimes the system just stops seeing the battery and shuts down. Then I have to plug it in, turn it back on, do another full shutdown, and turn it back on again before the battery stops showing as 0%. This has only happened twice so far but it sure is annoying.

I'll file a ticket with support, but for those who have been through the RMA process, how complicated is it? If I have already recycled the box will they send a new one?
I have an odd issue as well that has happened a couple of times where if I turn it completely off and leave it in the case for a few days, when I try to turn it back on without connecting the power cable, it won't turn on.
I then plug the power cable in and turn it on and it has like 99% power, it just wasn't able to boot. Sleep mode turning off/on works fine without the power cable. The annoying thing is almost everything else about it is perfect (although the left speaker tends to blow out on loud audio if volume is above 80%) so I don't want to risk an RMA just yet and I know I have a full year to think about it. I don't want to RMA the thing and end up with a replacement that has a dead pixel or bad fan.

I dunno, I baby this thing and worry about every little glitch and QA issue.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
What is EmuDeck Tool Updater?

My understanding is that I can update my EmuDeck config by running the EmuDeck installer again, so what's the difference between doing that and the tool updater?

Edit: I got an answer on the EmuDeck discord, pasting it here for y'all:

EmuDeck Discord posted:

updates yuzu emulation station cemu and srm
and xenia if u have that

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I want to play Metal Gear Solid (the original one not Phantom Pain or anything), what is my best way to do so? Emu or somewhere I can pay for it like if GOG and Steam can link up, just something that ideally doesn't require a CS degree