Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Delaware has totally revamped their voting rules in an attempt to become an early primary state.

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1550502905475637248

They also guaranteed 10 day early in-person voting.

One of the things that is hurting Michigan and Minnesota - considered frontrunners for new first 5 Democratic primary states - is that they need state Republicans to agree to move their primary dates and they haven't determined if they will yet.

Delaware, Nevada, and New Jersey are making changes and emphasizing that they have Democratic governments who can move the primary as soon as they get the nod from the DNC.

Nevada seems like it has all but assured an early spot and Michigan/Minnesota were both heavily favored, but their inability to guarantee the ability to move the primary has delayed a final decision on them.

They have to make a final decision and vote to confirm the new primary order by early August.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1550553871877115905?s=20&t=x4PXtXUyoroaSbICwwS90g

I assume he'll appeal?

AhhYes fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 22, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Federal statute for contempt of Congress requires a mandatory minimum of 30 days in prison and a $100 fine with a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a $100,000 fine.

Sentencing guidelines recommend between 6 months and one year of jail time and have no recommendation on the fine.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Federal statute for contempt of Congress requires a mandatory minimum of 30 days in prison and a $100 fine with a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a $100,000 fine.

Sentencing guidelines recommend between 6 months and one year of jail time and have no recommendation on the fine.

Consecutive?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Madkal posted:

Consecutive?

Yep.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Is there a separate statute that mandates they run consecutive?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s definitely going to appeal. He was trying to use some really stupid defenses in court and the judge wouldn’t allow him so the defense presented no evidence or any real case

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s definitely going to appeal. He was trying to use some really stupid defenses in court and the judge wouldn’t allow him so the defense presented no evidence or any real case

Does he have one, though? IANAL, but it seems like the answers to "did you receive a summons" and "did you attend the Congressional hearing you were summoned to" being "yes" and "no", respectively, is pretty much an open-and-shut case.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bannons arguments for appeal are:

1) He has ADHD and was not intentionally ignoring a subpoena.

Likelihood of success: lol

2) He thought he was bound by a President's claim of executive privilege and couldn't respond.

Likelihood of success: Low

3) That the judge erred in ruling that he couldn't use the excuse that he was acting on advice of counsel as a reason for not responding.

Likelihood of success: Low to moderate, but depends on the judge.

4) Whether prosecutors met the burden of proof to prove willful contempt.

Likelihood of success: Low to moderate.

5) Whether the judge's refusal to allow Bannon to call any of the members of the 1/6 to testify as a witness was in error.

Likelihood of success: Low to moderate.

He doesn't have absolutely no case, but he doesn't have an especially strong case.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm sitting here catching up and watching the 1/6 hearing from yesterday.

So far, 95% of it is direct testimony from people who were there along with audio and video recordings of people actually saying and doing things. On what planet is any of that heresay? Or heresy?

I know the answer is Planet MAGA but most of this is the exact of opposite of heresay is what I mean.

Maybe there's some heresy later on that I haven't gotten to yet but asking a person who was in actual room with another person what that other person said or did is...direct testimony, no?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The people they are talking to aren't watching the hearings.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Forgive me if this is rather obvious, but am I (a staunch leftist) wrong for not really caring about the Jan 6th hearings?
Like, obviously they should matter, but since I know nobody important is really going to jail at the end of this, I just feel like it's a bunch of theatre.
Libs can't seem to get enough of it though like it's non-stop water cooler TV.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
An asterisk on the involved in every history book will be a pretty harsh result, as it's their continued legacy. We only have to look at the previous committee hearings which resulted in Donald Trump being impeached twice to see what happens when legislators doggedly seek the truth.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

JazzFlight posted:

Forgive me if this is rather obvious, but am I (a staunch leftist) wrong for not really caring about the Jan 6th hearings?
Like, obviously they should matter, but since I know nobody important is really going to jail at the end of this, I just feel like it's a bunch of theatre.

It only matters if the DOJ decides to do anything. If they do then you're wrong if they don't you're right.

History is probably on your side.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

No.

Anyone paying attention to the charade is wasting their time and circle jerking with each other.

If any of this mattered the Republican Party (especially members of the house) would be locked up and Biden would suspend habeas corpus to ensure no judge is able to prevent justice.

At the very least Trump would be locked up.

All the Jan 6 hearings exist for is fundraisers for liberals with no morals (I repeat myself) and a glimpse to how broken the future will be for America.

There will be zero meaningful outcomes and anyone believing otherwise is someone who’s opinion and thoughts can be considered worthless.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If you assume no one in power will face meaningful consequences for the event of January 6, then the hearings are carefully laying out how few actual restraints on power there are. Given that some of the people involved appear to have been concerned at the time about their potential criminal liability, it might be worth having some idea of what's going on in the hearings to know what people are being told they can get away with. Since that'll mean you can expect more of it in the future with those concerns alleviated.

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe there's some heresy later on that I haven't gotten to yet but asking a person who was in actual room with another person what that other person said or did is...direct testimony, no?

It depends on what that other person said and the reason the testimony is being introduced. If person A testifies that they heard person B say that person C has a blue car, and the reason that testimony is being introduced is to prove that person C had a blue car, that's hearsay. A court would want to hear person B testify to that themselves so that their credibility could be directly examined. However, if person A testifies that they heard person B give an order that is an element of a crime, that's not hearsay. Generally, it's a question of whether the testimony as to someone else's words is being introduced for the purpose of proving the truth of the matter asserted in those words (e.g., that a car is blue). It doesn't apply to words that comprise an act (forming a contract, making a threat, delivering an order, etc.).

Knowing what is and isn't hearsay isn't easy and, frankly, doesn't apply that well outside of a context of a trial where there's a well-defined question being asked because hearsay is relative to what you're trying to prove. A statement could be inadmissible hearsay in one trial and allowable in another. And some hearsay is itself allowable testimony, with allowable exceptions for where the person whose words are being testified to is a party to the trial.

Anyways, you're not wrong in the broad sense that the GOP is not constraining itself to the truth with these hearsay claims.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The biggest lasting outcomes of the January 6 stuff will be a) more money to cops (bad) and b) the video of the cop asking the guy in the animal leathers and antlers to treat the rotunda respectfully (pretty funny). No one who didn't step foot in the building that day will ever spend a day in jail.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I think so but I'll stop short of calling you "wrong". I care about 1/6 a lot and more than a lot of people here. I think it's far bigger than Watergate and on par with Iran Contra but I'm not going to blame anyone for thinking that nothing will come of it or being cynical either. Because I live and breathe and at my age should know better than to give a poo poo. Yet still do.

I don't think it's theater on its face but it will be if no one suffers consequences. And they probably won't so by all means you do you and I'm not here to make you give a poo poo. The hearings and the presentation have been remarkably good though and transparently laid bare the crime of treason committed by 45 for everyone to see with their own eyes. I personally find that compelling but get why mileage might vary for sure.

Jaxyon posted:

The people they are talking to aren't watching the hearings.

True. FOX News and whoever the gently caress it is on my AM radio said it's heresay so it must be. Case closed. Witch Hunt, etc.

*Listens to two hours of reporting on Hunter Biden's laptop getting a footjob and smoking crack*

It's just so loving lazy. It's NOT heresay. It's DIRECT TESTIMONY from actual witnesses. And video and audio. It's the OPPOSITE of heresay aside from the limo story (so no wonder they focus on that). Most of it anyway. I could understand the pushback more if they started digging up how one witness once got a DUI, cheated on his wife with a gay lover, was fired once for drinking on the job or even got busted with weed or some poo poo and went about discrediting them but, like most things, conservatives don't understand what constitutes heresay evidence.

I'm watching people sworn in under oath who were physically in a place talking to real people who said and did things describing directly what they saw and heard. Often with texts, emails, video and audio. Heresay is when someone wasn't a witness and someone ELSE told THEM what happened.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
there's a strange tension between the democratic leadership's two primary impulses baked into the hearings. on the one hand, their proposition to their base has been 'we keep you safe from Republicans,' and as such they have to present Republicans as the existential threat to democracy they are absolutely trying to be.

on the other hand, their proposition to their donors has been 'we will preserve the status quo come hell or high water, both of which are oncoming pretty fast btw,' and part of the status quo is that no Republican criminality will or indeed can be prosecuted.

so they find themselves in a bizarre place where while the Democratic trifecta can't even talk itself into Republicans being scary enough to pass voting rights laws over (let alone worth punishing for their crimes) You the Voter need to do all the being afraid they will not.

bit of a mess, tbh

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Trump was already a 5-10% liability over generic R in several key swing states in 2020 and there's no sign that gap is decreasing in light of the hearings. That was already enough to kill trump politically.

Viewership of the hearings is pretty broad, it's pretty much just the qanon/newsmax/more extreme fox people who are tuning them out.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 23, 2022

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

papa horny michael posted:

An asterisk on the involved in every history book will be a pretty harsh result, as it's their continued legacy.

I don't think many of them care about this. For one, they likely don't care what history says about them, they'll just understand "I get to keep all my money and escape consequences."

For another, they're trying to set it up so the history books says what they did was cool and good.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there's a strange tension between the democratic leadership's two primary impulses baked into the hearings. on the one hand, their proposition to their base has been 'we keep you safe from Republicans,' and as such they have to present Republicans as the existential threat to democracy they are absolutely trying to be.

on the other hand, their proposition to their donors has been 'we will preserve the status quo come hell or high water, both of which are oncoming pretty fast btw,' and part of the status quo is that no Republican criminality will or indeed can be prosecuted.

so they find themselves in a bizarre place where while the Democratic trifecta can't even talk itself into Republicans being scary enough to pass voting rights laws over (let alone worth punishing for their crimes) You the Voter need to do all the being afraid they will not.

bit of a mess, tbh

Yeah I think they’ve done too good of a job. They’ve really put together a compelling and well made narrative that is as complete as could be without having the inner circle confess. Unfortunately they are backing themself into a corner where anything will be a disappointment. And I have incredibly low expectations for the Dems to do anything.

And unless by some miracle trump is imprisoned (lol) he and his followers will use it as vindication.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think the hearings will change some things even if it's ultimately not the things that really matter.

Like I think it will impact what the GOP's strategy is going to be regarding the possibility of Trump running in 2024. They're probably less excited about that than they ever were.

What that actually means in terms of concrete political outcomes? :shrug:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I keep thinking about Iran/Contra where everything about the GOP's stance on drugs and patriotism and everything got totally spun around, all the higher ups got away with it and all of my redneck coworkers started calling Oliver North a loving hero so I'm not exactly optimistic about anyone facing any real consequences for this. At least nobody with a capital "N" Name who has a lot of money.

Same thing with the S&L banking scandal. Or the invasion of Iraq.

This nation we got here has a long LONG history of ignoring white collar crime and not punishing it even though it costs us so much more money than the poo poo we lock up people for decades over.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Trump was already a 5-10% liability over generic R in several key swing states in 2020 and there's no sign that gap is decreasing in light of the hearings. That was already enough to kill trump politically.

Viewership of the hearings is pretty broad, it's pretty much just the qanon/newsmax/more extreme fox people who are tuning them out.

On the other hand, Donald Trump could run on "Were you better off four years ago than you are now?" and the Democrats would have absolutely no response.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Gripweed posted:

On the other hand, Donald Trump could run on "Were you better off four years ago than you are now?" and the Democrats would have absolutely no response.

tell me you know no women irl without telling me that you know no women irl

For clarity, my argument is that that's a stupid statement and the op knows no women irl

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The fact that Amy Comey Barrett was with the majority means that there are a number of women that do think the elimation of abortion and the clamp down on pharmalogical birth control is a *good* thing.

I also think that they are scrambling for the highest positions possible for women in their Christo-Facist Hellworld, which is the policing of other women's agency.

EDIT: TBF there are very, very few women who think that who's votes are up for grabs in the Midterms.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gripweed posted:

I realize I am not one of the true yeomen who will decide this eventual race but it seems like reminding people about summer/autumn 2020 has some downside risk.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

if anyone wants to quote the stats again, that'd be cool.

I know it's getting relatively good ratings compared to the usual stuff and even cable news but also probably stories about it are getting relatively good ratings among those that watch cable news but I'd like to see a breakdown of how many people net total, how many registered voters, likely voters, their identified party, the state they live and, if available, their congressional district and etc. and also if this pushes them to vote one way or the other or changes their mind about voting at all.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I realize I am not one of the true yeomen who will decide this eventual race but it seems like reminding people about summer/autumn 2020 has some downside risk.

The American public has the memory of a goldfish and I'd bet serious money that most people believe they were better off then than now.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

He'll do the same thing in GOP debates that he did in 2015/6. And the base will love it.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twincityhacker posted:

The fact that Amy Comey Barrett was with the majority means that there are a number of women that do think the elimation of abortion and the clamp down on pharmalogical birth control is a *good* thing.

I also think that they are scrambling for the highest positions possible for women in their Christo-Facist Hellworld, which is the policing of other women's agency.

EDIT: TBF there are very, very few women who think that who's votes are up for grabs in the Midterms.

Oh no, not the Christo-Facist Hellworld!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Most people just call it the USA

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

He'll do the same thing in GOP debates that he did in 2015/6. And the base will love it.

He'll likely win the nomination largely off name recognition and the same way he won last time; a crowded field means he gets 30% of the primary votes and the rest don't break more than five or ten percent each, making him the winner.

They won't voltron behind a candidate like the dems did after Bernie won a few primaries; Republicans are too greedy for that.

And yes, his behavior in the debates will help him, his loud rear end in a top hat persona is still what the base wants.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The American public has the memory of a goldfish and I'd bet serious money that most people believe they were better off then than now.

They were. Like, food costs way more now. It's a serious problem. They talk about it on the news all the time and anyone who needs to buy food to live has noticed it. Everything is much more expensive and wages have not gone up to match. People are worse off under Biden than they were under Trump. That's not to Trump's credit and Biden is only partially to blame, but it's still true.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

For clarity, my argument is that that's a stupid statement and the op knows no women irl

Roe v. Wade hadn’t yet been overturned four years ago. Is your argument that women are better off now?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Most of the women I know are aware they had the right to an abortion 4 years ago, just anecdotally. Cheaper food and no problem finding formula, too.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Roe v. Wade hadn’t yet been overturned four years ago. Is your argument that women are better off now?

Sharkie posted:

Most of the women I know are aware they had the right to an abortion 4 years ago, just anecdotally. Cheaper food and no problem finding formula, too.

Pretty sure that is the point they were making.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

I work at a small company, there's about 8~12 of us in the office on any given day. We're all left-leaning of varying intensities. After the first day of hearings, my boss, the owner/founder of the company and your cookie-cutter well-meaning centrist Democrat voter, brought it up at lunch. He was shocked and dismayed that not one person other than himself bothered to watch it. I asked what he learned or got out of watching it, and he said nothing other than he felt it was important. We all agreed nothing will come of it and no one will face any consequences, so the conversation moved on to what we did that evening instead of watching old men blather on TV. Sorry, boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ColdPie posted:

I work at a small company, there's about 8~12 of us in the office on any given day. We're all left-leaning of varying intensities. After the first day of hearings, my boss, the owner/founder of the company and your cookie-cutter well-meaning centrist Democrat voter, brought it up at lunch. He was shocked and dismayed that not one person other than himself bothered to watch it. I asked what he learned or got out of watching it, and he said nothing other than he felt it was important. We all agreed nothing will come of it and no one will face any consequences, so the conversation moved on to what we did that evening instead of watching old men blather on TV. Sorry, boss.

I already knew about 75% of 1/6 and how it all went down because I watched it unfiltered in real time via live streams but I imagine most Americans didn't since they were at work when it happened. Only new things I've gleaned were the recordings and certain transcripts here and there.

But I mean, not only are most Americans too busy, broke or distracted to give this the attention that I think it rightfully deserves, there's just so much more other, less depressing poo poo to watch out there competing for your free time and entertainment dollar these days compared to something like Watergate (when there were like two newspapers in you city, 6 channels to watch and no VCR's) or even Iran Contra during the relative infancy of cable and before 24/7 news was a thing.

If you live paycheck to paycheck, you work 1, 1.5 or even 2 jobs, you have kids, deal with a long commute and have no hope of ever retiring, what are going to want to do? Watch sad living proof of a government you already know is dysfunctional, unaccountable and who will never help you unfold sadly in real time? Or maybe dig around your HBO Max queue, crawl down a YouTube rabbit hole, play Elden Ring for 2 hours or possibly spend some (rare) time with your spouse or your kids? Maybe even grab some sleep?