Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In what world is Hawaii a cheap destination? The japanese population is largely there from a long time ago. There's vastly easier and cheaper flights to get from Asia to LA, say, than to get to Hawaii. And once you get there, it's the most expensive state by a ludicrous margin. And largely without the benefits of higher wages to compensate. Living in Hawaii is tough.

Goes without saying the struggle largely hits native hawaiians. But you'll still face insane prices as White WhiteWhite Beauregard Stanford III if you want it to be your sunbelt retirement destination.

A lot of people tend to figure out costs of living after they move instead of before. Maybe some people prioritize it, especially when they have the option to move to just outside a place where where the cost of living is high, but for a lot of people it can be outweighed by climate and the more qualitative and conceptual aspects of where they want to live.

Incidentally, Hawaii has a pretty high homelessness rate, because when people there hit on hard times or they just weren't planning right when they were staying there, it's a relatively comfy climate to be homeless in (because they won't die of exposure) and they often can't afford to go somewhere cheaper or make their way to find friends or family to help them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
New scientific study has been published
https://twitter.com/lijukic/status/1550552046188765186?s=20&t=sqIsIVJ7qlHV0yehwTh0wQ

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT REAL LEGEND BELOW

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

The people of South Sudan, Gabon and French Guiana feel neither Fear nor guilt nor shame! :black101:

Also, good to know that the fish people of the Black Sea are motivated by guilt.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Platystemon posted:

HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT REAL LEGEND BELOW

i cant argue against that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

but tbh i think svalbard is probably one of the only places on earth where bearing arms is proscribed, as in you legally have to be armed at all times in case you meet a bear

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 23, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ukraine is motivated by equal amounts of alcohol and prostitutes, checks out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek posted:

but tbh i think svalbard is probably one of the only places on earth where bearing arms is proscribed, as in you legally have to be armed at all times in case you meet a bear

Churchill, Manitoba has the same policy for the same reason.

Polar bears see humans as prey. Brown bears can be aggressive and the big cats are opportunists, but they don’t pursue us like polar bears do.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

https://twitter.com/OffensiveNatur3/status/1549868063994134528/photo/1

SlothfulCobra posted:

Incidentally, Hawaii has a pretty high homelessness rate, because when people there hit on hard times or they just weren't planning right when they were staying there, it's a relatively comfy climate to be homeless in (because they won't die of exposure) and they often can't afford to go somewhere cheaper or make their way to find friends or family to help them up.
I've been to Hawaii multiple times and found out on one of those trips that some places on the west coast actually ship their homeless people to Hawaii (because they wont die of exposure there and they have no way to come back).

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Churchill, Manitoba has the same policy for the same reason.

Polar bears see humans as prey. Brown bears can be aggressive and the big cats are opportunists, but they don’t pursue us like polar bears do.

yeah well we'll see how high and mighty they are after we melt all the ice :smug:

Archduke Frantz Fanon fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 23, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Black Sea, also known as the Sea of Guilt

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wtf is happening in Suriname? Do they need help?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

https://twitter.com/OffensiveNatur3/status/1549868063994134528/photo/1

I've been to Hawaii multiple times and found out on one of those trips that some places on the west coast actually ship their homeless people to Hawaii (because they wont die of exposure there and they have no way to come back).

This is a thing that people say about literally every place that has visible homeless people, how did you “find out”

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2016/02/denby-fawcett-5-myths-about-homelessness-in-hawaii/

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

This is a thing that people say about literally every place that has visible homeless people, how did you “find out”

yeah somehow the idea of a place spending thousands to send people to hawaii doesnt seem real

there are some places that are better to live in without a home tho

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That seems pretty expensive but Nevada was shipping homeless people to California (mostly San Francisco) about ten years ago.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

places people have told me "they" definitely ship homeless people to:

austin, tx
los angeles
sacramento
san diego
san francisco
denver
hawaii
seattle
portland

is it a coincidence that housing is very expensive in these places? obviously, we all know homelessness has nothing to do with housing costs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

S.F., Nevada reach tentative settlement in patient-dumping case

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Time since chickens arrived.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Chickens were already in Tawantinsuyu when Pizarro got there. Real disservice to the polynesians to leave out the Americas.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why do I feel Ill whenever you guys post a new weird loving map. Each having its own weirdness and quirks.

It's so good

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Does anyone know of a geologically/meteorologically accurate (or mostly accurate) continent generator or something similar? Like, you draw mountains and it generates proper rain shadows and climate and whatever. Or it just randomizes plausible continents.

It’s the kind of thing I feel like must exist somewhere at this point

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

places people have told me "they" definitely ship homeless people to:

austin, tx
los angeles
sacramento
san diego
san francisco
denver
hawaii
seattle
portland

is it a coincidence that housing is very expensive in these places? obviously, we all know homelessness has nothing to do with housing costs

San Diego does a regular study of its homeless population and it always shows that the overwhelming majority became homeless while living in San Diego.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Weembles posted:

San Diego does a regular study of its homeless population and it always shows that the overwhelming majority became homeless while living in San Diego.

The cheek of preemptively shipping people to San Diego before they even become homeless!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Grevling posted:

Time since chickens arrived.

I cast embiggen or got it from this article, whatever https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2121978119

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Somehow Svalbard has chickens but not Iceland on that map.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

pik_d posted:

I cast embiggen or got it from this article, whatever https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2121978119

I'm the very first chicken arriving in the Caroline Islands today.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Somehow all the Nando's in Cape Town are serving something other than chicken.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koramei posted:

Does anyone know of a geologically/meteorologically accurate (or mostly accurate) continent generator or something similar? Like, you draw mountains and it generates proper rain shadows and climate and whatever. Or it just randomizes plausible continents.

It’s the kind of thing I feel like must exist somewhere at this point

I make a lot of stupid RPG maps and demand realistic geology. There's a few out there but none of them really give you a finished map, more something to kinda trace the coastlines and mountain ranges for a more finished map.
https://davidson16807.github.io/tectonics.js/

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/policytensor/status/1548507316189908993?s=20&t=m6T5L9jX0UCEXyboQZe4kA

I'm Antarctica's perfectly proportionate arsenal.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Quorum posted:

There's that, and there's also quite a large military population in a state with a relatively small population to begin with.

That makes sense, thanks.

Alaska is another interesting case, at just 41%. As far as I know its proximity to the ocean doesn't make its climate that much milder, and at the same latitude in Canada there's almost no one (except for the small indigenous population). How on earth did the US manage to get hundreds of thousands of people to migrate to a frozen wasteland? I'm assuming it has to do with resource extraction.

e: yeah, oil and gas, looks like.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baronjutter posted:

I make a lot of stupid RPG maps and demand realistic geology. There's a few out there but none of them really give you a finished map, more something to kinda trace the coastlines and mountain ranges for a more finished map.
Yeah. If you put all the features of the various programs together you'd probably have something pretty good, but generally it seems like they simplify some thing or the other to the point that you might as well just do it by feel. Even worse if you want to gently caress around with non-Earthlike planets. I ended up basically programming a climate simulator in Excel because I wanted to gently caress around with a twin-planet setup which completely changes how wind patterns should form on a planet. Which I know is definitely not what Excel is made for, but I don't really feel like taking up programming, and there is a certain level of satisfaction in using primitive tools. :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

quote:

“In Detroit, people say some of their homeless are arriving on tickets paid for by other states; that’s until they think about it, and laughingly realize how ridiculous that sounds. What kind of homeless person would agree to be sent to live in Detroit even on a free airline ticket?”

lol

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah. If you put all the features of the various programs together you'd probably have something pretty good, but generally it seems like they simplify some thing or the other to the point that you might as well just do it by feel. Even worse if you want to gently caress around with non-Earthlike planets. I ended up basically programming a climate simulator in Excel because I wanted to gently caress around with a twin-planet setup which completely changes how wind patterns should form on a planet. Which I know is definitely not what Excel is made for, but I don't really feel like taking up programming, and there is a certain level of satisfaction in using primitive tools. :v:

That is exactly what Excel was designed to do: a decent job at something no one else has made a proper piece of software for, at least not one you're willing to buy. It's amazing at doing a not entirely terrible job at basically anything.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Excel is designed to be accounting software and it's pretty good at it. The issue is people who want to use it for every goddamn thing else.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Show me a problem and I'll tell you why it's actually a pivot table

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Live homeless person reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny4a-oxOndo

- Take him to Detroit!
- :gonk:

BonHair posted:

That is exactly what Excel was designed to do: a decent job at something no one else has made a proper piece of software for, at least not one you're willing to buy. It's amazing at doing a not entirely terrible job at basically anything.
I've no idea how one would model climate in Excel but yeah, even organizations with huge IT budgets and all sorts of software use Excel as a glue to put together various data and fill in missing functionality. Probably the single most important piece of software.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I used to run forum based map games using a ridiculous huge excel file to process all the economic simulation lol

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
gotta be a non-zero number of files called “posting_enemies.xlsx” out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Baronjutter posted:

Oh sick, this is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking, thanks!