Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Chick keeps going into the curtain drapes and getting static'd to hell. It's super cute cause all her feathers poke up and she looks like a little velociraptor, but then I can't take her off the curtains as I end up zapping her and I refuse for her to start associating my hand with electric shock.

So I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Edit: Jesus Christ my heart can't take this anxiety. Chick had air sac mites for the longest time without me realising, she was sitting smack bang on the verge of being ill and healthy so I couldn't figure out what was up. She's almost finished a 4 week ivermectin course and her energy levels and curiosity have absolutely spiked. I'm now having daily heart attacks when she disappears somewhere and I can't find her. Out of my two girls, she's the more inquisitive and active. Wasabi happily sits on her perch and sings, Chick just explores like a mute ninja and terrifies me when I can't find her.

Then you have that awful feeling that you'll step on her or lean back and crush her. Stupid bird. Most recent scare: I was watching TV with my headphones on, she lands on my head then - what I thought - jumped off and was clambering around the back of the sofa. I get up and she's nowhere to be seen, so I start searching everywhere for her thinking she fell and got stuck. Five minutes later of calling her with no response and I spot her out the corner of my eye on top of the rail curtain.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pookah posted:

Did he beat up the bunnies? I've known a fair few budgies and every single one would have been confident that they could beat up those bunnies.
Agrippa and the bunnies is an unusual situation where they're curious about him but he's not sure about them. Usually it's the opposite. I think he wants to preen them? Chirpy wants to ride them around.

quote:

edit: Hallow'een Jack, I am so sorry about Ozzy, it never gets any easier to lose such a good friend :(
At least the thread still has an Ozzy :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Qubee posted:

Chick keeps going into the curtain drapes and getting static'd to hell. It's super cute cause all her feathers poke up and she looks like a little velociraptor, but then I can't take her off the curtains as I end up zapping her and I refuse for her to start associating my hand with electric shock.

So I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Edit: Jesus Christ my heart can't take this anxiety. Chick had air sac mites for the longest time without me realising, she was sitting smack bang on the verge of being ill and healthy so I couldn't figure out what was up. She's almost finished a 4 week ivermectin course and her energy levels and curiosity have absolutely spiked. I'm now having daily heart attacks when she disappears somewhere and I can't find her. Out of my two girls, she's the more inquisitive and active. Wasabi happily sits on her perch and sings, Chick just explores like a mute ninja and terrifies me when I can't find her.

Then you have that awful feeling that you'll step on her or lean back and crush her. Stupid bird. Most recent scare: I was watching TV with my headphones on, she lands on my head then - what I thought - jumped off and was clambering around the back of the sofa. I get up and she's nowhere to be seen, so I start searching everywhere for her thinking she fell and got stuck. Five minutes later of calling her with no response and I spot her out the corner of my eye on top of the rail curtain.

As much as we want to let our little doofuses roam to their heart's content, I'm a firm believer they need boundaries. Little parrots are just too fragile to get complete freedom to roam. I learned this when my legs got hosed up, because I'm unable to make a sudden course correction if something gets underfoot, like a feathered doofus.

You aren't being a bad parrot parent if you have to give some boundaries to a super adventures parakeet.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I wish I knew how to give them boundaries. Chick is such a wilful soul. If I keep her in the cage whilst I'm in the room, she will get extremely agitated and pace up and down nonstop, she just stresses herself out. The only time she's okay being in the cage is leading up to bedtime, or when I'm not in the room (birdie cam shows her calm as a cucumber).

For now, I'll leave her to her freedom. It's worked out okay so far and I live by myself. I always triple check lately before I sit down, but I have a feeling she'll calm down and stop being so adventurous once she passes fully through puberty. It's not that bad to be honest, whenever I walk into the living room, it's easy to clock where she is immediately. It's just if I'm sitting watching TV that she can get hidden away. Inc. bird pic spam

Preening on top of my hand whilst I'm on the PC

Here she is all static'd up, look at her cheek feathers

This photo doesn't do it justice but her feathers were sticking out straight

She's so hormonal lately, all she wants to do is discover a cave. This is her between my legs and under my robe

Lately, they've become a lot more comfortable with the living room. I absolutely love seeing them fly the full length of the room, from their cage on one end of the room to my shoulder sat at the desk on the other end of the room. Chick being on the road to recovery is loving her newfound flying freedom. She'll do laps around the room just because, they get bird zoomies just like dogs get dog zoomies.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Have you ever been cleaning your butt, and been interrupted by a Dumb Human watching Dumb Human Baseball?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGNuMACKi2k

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Captain Log posted:

Have you ever been cleaning your butt, and been interrupted by a Dumb Human watching Dumb Human Baseball?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGNuMACKi2k

constantly

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Something I only recently discovered about tiels, and it took me by surprise and my brain only processed it after the second head bump, but the way they'll bop you with their head to indicate they're ready for cuddles. That's the cutest thing I've ever experienced. The tiel I'm babysitting was on my shoulder and he'll do a sing and a dance which is a good indicator he's in a cuddly mood, and he performs these little hop forwards with his wings slightly outstretched and I can't handle how adorable he is. Once he's all finished with his little performance, he'll waddle up to my ear and bop my cheek so I can proceed to cuddle.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Unmute!!!

https://i.imgur.com/srR6XZr.mp4

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My new morning routine is blessed: I let the girls out and they'll come check me out for a few minutes, and I'll tell them I love them lots and leave em to preening and being cute. Then I go to the tiel quarantine room and he'll be singing and most mornings he's okay with me just kissing his head over and over.

So I get to rock up to work all happy and wholesome. I got back from work today and he just started hopping and singing and bopping me with his head for kisses. I'm looking forward to him finishing his 30 days quarantine because I can't wait to bring him to the living room.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Yeah having birds has changed my tune from "yuck, morning" to "yay, morning!"

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Hello bird friends!

My last season trapping cowbirds is closing and I decided that I want all of these silly photos in one place. I have made this thread to share photos from all seasons, and especially the ones I haven't been showing you folks this season. Please stop by if you are inclined to see birds have angry opinions. I'll try to make a new post often enough as the season winds down.

And of course, please spoil all of the birds in this thread. I'm still keeping up in discord and here, even if I don't post.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Pictured - A 150g cockatiel, who gained the exact 15g when she got seasonally horny, which is also the exact amount the Avian certified vet predicted.

Yes, I caught this picture of her in mid-roost as she untucked her head. So I cheated. Still, she is a massive cockatiel.

But even crazier? She can fly. I'm talking from the floor to the top of a bookshelf, or laps around the living room, or wherever else she pleases. As the vet said - On paper, she is grossly obese. But in reality, she is just big. Obese parrots can't fly like a treat-seeking-missile.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Just had my card blocked trying to buy 40 kg of bird seed online, had to call Visa and convince them I'm not a flock of pigeons in a trenchcoat

The disguise must have worked because the order's gone through now

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Log posted:

Pictured - A 150g cockatiel, who gained the exact 15g when she got seasonally horny, which is also the exact amount the Avian certified vet predicted.

Yes, I caught this picture of her in mid-roost as she untucked her head. So I cheated. Still, she is a massive cockatiel.

But even crazier? She can fly. I'm talking from the floor to the top of a bookshelf, or laps around the living room, or wherever else she pleases. As the vet said - On paper, she is grossly obese. But in reality, she is just big. Obese parrots can't fly like a treat-seeking-missile.

LARGE

AND IN CHARGE

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I for one welcome our coming fluffy overlord 'Teilzilla in all of her awesome and terrifying glory

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
All muscle. Like a sumo.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
A perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its orbidity.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

she is perfect in every fucken way

can i please have a 6er with a bird, i am drunk but I like birds so if I can get a probe that woul be awesoem :banme:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

at pride today there was a fellow walking around with a blue and gold macaw on the front of his shirt

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
to be clear the bird is gay and the guy carrying him around is an ally

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

to be clear the bird is gay and the guy carrying him around is an ally

i fully believe it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

also i appreciate you all knowing i mean an actual bird

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

mediaphage posted:

at pride today there was a fellow walking around with a blue and gold macaw on the front of his shirt

How many cities have a Bird Guy? Here in Richmond there's a guy known for taking his (super friendly, well-mannered) macaw out on walks with him around the neighborhood when the weather's nice.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I posted that picture of Serra on a Facebook group called something like, "This Borb is Chonky." There are 100k plus members, but most posts on there get 50ish likes with some breaking a hundred or two.

So far, the Serra picture has over 1,100k likes.

:stare:

If only she made a silly noise.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

It is an incredibly cute picture of her tho.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Captain Log posted:

Never thought I'd see a tiel pic that's also intimidating but here we are.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
THIS WILL END IN TEARS

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/4L8furN.mp4

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I actually love her so much. I never would have thought I could love a creature this badly. And she isn't even this sweet to me half the time! Even when she's bitey and nesty and territorial, I can't help but adore her. My green one is also a big cutie but she's not as tame these days, I think the trauma of her childhood and how much medicine I had to give her has scared her off of hands entirely. Ultimately though, she's a happy little bird who likes to sing and sit by the window, so as long as she's content, I'm okay whether she's close to me or not.

This guy ain't bad either, drat adorable dinosaur. I love when he'll break out into his song and dance and hop about, I've started jamming with him these past few days and we'll just go to town with our whistling. I really can't wait for his quarantine to be over, cause I wanna get him in the living room with everyone. He's the perfect companion bird as he'll just sit on my shoulder for hours and switch between preening, cuddling and sleeping. So it suits my lifestyle perfectly as my rear end is either sat at the PC or on the couch.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 30, 2022

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

My wife's budgies are getting more friendly with me, happened to get this video, too bad my phone was focused on wtvr was outside.

https://youtu.be/GCEjDPRh7p0

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

THIS WILL END IN TEARS

Perfect

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh my god, Pookie has a foot fetish.
Wee were having a perfectly ordinary afternoon of me playing a game and her sitting on my knee, being intermittently cuddled, when she jumped down, ran down the sofa, and spent the next 10 minutes trying to feed my toes.

OH NO, she's making that weird snuffy noise that always means I am crazy in love with a thing.

This never ends well :(

Last time she got crazy hormonal I got bitten to hell and back.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
After a long morning destroying my desk mat Sunny discovered a new place to nap.

https://youtube.com/shorts/YT-FzVLP3uQ?feature=share

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I love her

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

bee posted:

After a long morning destroying my desk mat Sunny discovered a new place to nap.

https://youtube.com/shorts/YT-FzVLP3uQ?feature=share

Subscribed! :kimchi:

I'm envious of all you with normal acting cockatiels. Serra, with the exception of being on my bed which gets treated as a couch by me come my couple of video gaming hours at night, absolutely cannot sit still. It's unfortunate, but her inability to be a still little potato cuts into her out-of-cage time. I don't feel too bad about it, though, because she quite literally has a human in the room with her for 99% of her life.

I keep thinking, "She will calm down..." Then I realize she just turned five.

:stare:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

:swoon:

:vince:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
The only time Sunny is still is when she's napping. If she's awake, she's either eating or trying to destroy/dismantle whatever is within her immediate vicinity. I too, delude myself with the idea that she's still a baby and she's still got some settling down to do. :aaaaa:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Pesto is a bit over 3 and he is lacking in chill... although if it's night time

https://i.imgur.com/Baek9ld.mp4

he doesn't like it but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Every day when I leave for work in the morning, Peanut makes the saddest little chirps and every day it breaks my loving heart to go.