Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s driving me absolutely insane about this whole thing is that I came across the video being shared as an embedded Twitter video and decided to flip on the sound about half way through once I realized it wasn’t some mock-up fight scene thing. The person who uploaded it had for some reason mixed in a remix version ABBA’s Lay All Your Love On Me and god drat it, it super worked. That musical
choice was so wild that I clicked through and immediately watched the actual video through only later realizing that the song wasn’t there. Now I can’t find the drat tweet because Twitter search is a nightmare and it’s driving me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Animation is such a loving awesome medium that does not get the respect it deserves.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love the name plates flashing behind the characters like it's an Imaishi joint, the whole thing is Imaishi as hell and I love it.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPNDoKP6d4

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Excellent--it has been too long since our last dose of Conan + dinosaurs

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is there a term for “we got too much money and now things look wrong”? I got around to watching the Bob’s Burgers movie and all the shadows on the characters that aren’t usually there are super goddamn distracting.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The “Rugrats” effect

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I get what you mean but I really liked the increased budget, particularly with the "vista" shots that moved around the town.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/JGQuintel/status/1548088598997528579
That sucks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

That really sucks, it was such a fun show.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Getting this news sucks on the day Farzar comes out, possibly the worst adult cartoon I've ever seen

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bummer but that Halloween episode was a hell of a way to cap it off.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Getting this news sucks on the day Farzar comes out, possibly the worst adult cartoon I've ever seen

That looks like it was done by the Paraside PD people :catstare:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

That looks like it was done by the Paraside PD people :catstare:

That’s because it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1r6IDby3IE

They use the same animation style and the same voice actors in all of their shows (Brickleberry, Paradise PD, and now Farzar).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I only watched the preview and at least it doesn't look as bad as their other stuff? :shrug:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

That’s because it is.

They use the same animation style and the same voice actors in all of their shows (Brickleberry, Paradise PD, and now Farzar).

You know, I was trying avoid the Rick and Morty/Futurama comparisons but then they just went and made that comment for me. I was going ask if this show was also super gross to the point of being unreasonable, but that would also seem to be the case.

Looks like Jay Exci won't be hurting for content for a while

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

socialsecurity posted:

That show has a pickle rick reference in the preview slides, that's all I needed to know about it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.etonline.com/jak-knight-comedian-and-voice-in-netflixs-animated-series-big-mouth-dead-at-28-187455

The voice actor for DeVon from Big Mouth, Jak Knight, died yesterday.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Man I hate Big Mouth but I'm pretty sure I've seen some of his standup and he was a talented guy. Tragic news.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ThermoPhysical posted:

That’s because it is.

I tried to watch that trailer last night and the art style just pulled me right out of it, then the jokes came and made it even worse. Why do all adult animated comedies insist on having the most boring character design possible?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The dull designs I think are inspired by the successes of Family Guy and The Simpsons, but I think there's also a whole conceptual thing where if the people working on it come from more traditional, younger cartoon backgrounds, then they're already experienced in working with simplistic designs, bit kids' cartoons tend to cover up their simplicity with cuter stylization that the adult cartoons either feel compelled to willfully differentiate themselves to prove their maturity or they worry about people complaining if they mistake it for a kids' show. I think there's also a tendency for the "adult" comedians who end up spearheading a lot of these shows to lack artistic inspiration of their own, maybe even just being a writer rather than drawing anything, so the visual design is by far an afterthought.

I prefer it to the classic "ugly as sin" aesthetic for adult shows that comes out of a similar lack of artistic aesthetics as well as just generally being part of the whole counterculture thing, so being repugnant is like some kind of joke on its own. I guess that was also the days when it was even more crucial to not be confused for a children's cartoon.

There are a few shows that earnestly try to look nice, but that turns out either expensive, or needs a real animation expert to cut costs and still look nice, and it's only pretty recently that adult animation became more popular and started getting bigger budgets. I think that is also slowly making more top animators hope to work in adult animation as opposed to the days when it was a lot more unreliable as a career move. I guess more mature superhero shows are probably the biggest throughline.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

in addition to being easier to hire artists that are already familiar with the style, it's also a style that overseas studios are familiar with as well so there's less of an onramp and probably fewer retakes

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

New season of Tuca and Bertie is really good so far!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Happy Landfill posted:

You know, I was trying avoid the Rick and Morty/Futurama comparisons but then they just went and made that comment for me. I was going ask if this show was also super gross to the point of being unreasonable, but that would also seem to be the case.

Looks like Jay Exci won't be hurting for content for a while

The difference is I think that with Rick and Morty it feels like... genuine? While this show seems like they just went "What can do we that's really hosed UP and PUSHING THE BAR. Like I think Rick and Morty does have hosed up things and does push the bar sometimes but it seems like it comes from a place of "we just want to make a funny show" and then these ideas naturally happen. This show looks like they're trying on purpose to do what Rick and Morty does and so everything ends up feeling forced and meant to be gross or crossing the line for no other reason than to do so. Like Rick and Morty doesn't feel like they're TRYING to push any boundaries, they're just doing what makes them laugh, where as this show feels like it's not going for what makes the writers laugh but what they think people who like Rick and Morty would laugh at. If that makes sense.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Macaluso posted:

The difference is I think that with Rick and Morty it feels like... genuine? While this show seems like they just went "What can do we that's really hosed UP and PUSHING THE BAR. Like I think Rick and Morty does have hosed up things and does push the bar sometimes but it seems like it comes from a place of "we just want to make a funny show"

Have you seen the short they originally tried the idea with? Rick's time machine is powered by Morty sucking him off. It's really hosed up. Oh yeah it's a time machine in the short.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

pixaal posted:

Have you seen the short they originally tried the idea with? Rick's time machine is powered by Morty sucking him off. It's really hosed up. Oh yeah it's a time machine in the short.

Sure, but even that kind of feels like Justin Roiland was like "lol this funny" and then just had it animated. Like I can't imagine he put much thought into that. This show feels like they saw that short and were like "let's actually try really hard to do that"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1550188142065598466
More Smiling Friends to tide people over until season 2.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

In the context that's a pretty low-key menacing title right there, can't wait to see where it goes.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Primal is back, and 2 new episodes so far are streaming on HBO. Thought they were great.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fritzler posted:

Primal is back, and 2 new episodes so far are streaming on HBO. Thought they were great.

If people are on the fence about this series, note that season 1 won five Emmy awards.

Madurai posted:

Excellent--it has been too long since our last dose of Conan + dinosaurs
Speaking of .....
(This is a promo poster for season 2 but I'll put it spoiler tags just on case anyone wanted to go into the season blind)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Watched Primal's first two episodes. It has not lost a step.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Watched Primal's first two episodes. It has not lost a step.

The 1st episode was beautiful.

The 2nd was a kick in the balls, even by the standards of this show.

I was scared there might be a drop in quality but those showed me they have only gotten better, somehow.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

The 2nd was a kick in the balls, even by the standards of this show.

It takes the show's best feature, Spear & Fang's unbreakable bond, and uses it to twist the knife in both of them.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It takes the show's best feature, Spear & Fang's unbreakable bond, and uses it to twist the knife in both of them.

I spent the entire last fight knowing how it was going to end but praying I was wrong. I wonder if next episode will deal with the fallout of it. Fang was looking like she wasn't doing well.

The romance between Fang and the male was one of the sweetest I've ever seen. How is this show so good at showing emotion without dialog.

The best part of that was them getting drunk off of fermented fruit and flirting. Then falling asleep next to each other under the stats. loving romantic as all hell.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I feel Primal is a big enough deal to get its own thread (which I forgot to set the tag for properly)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008145

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Trailer for season 3 of the Netflix DOTA series is out. Looks interesting, definitely a lot more conflict out of the gate than the previous ones. Hopefully the CGI for that powered up Dragon Knight transformation gets a little more love before the release, it looks really rough.

https://youtu.be/1Knp3OA3bUw

I guess season 2 wasn't well received, which is kind of surprising. I thought it was great and progressed the story while also bringing in more of the lore. Given everything else going on at Netflix seems like this will be the last season, barring the show suddenly becoming a breakout hit.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

https://www.bubbleblabber.com/gary-and-his-demons-season-two-premiering-this-fall-for-prime-video/

HELL YES :dance:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

OH HELL YEAH!

I could have sworn this would be a one and done, so called it's continuing.

Shadowstone Park is also continuing BTW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnMVzVHrvlc&t=9s

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1552321600371965953?s=20&t=ekDEPGPWj-IEzKjWxwxjuw

I don't know who the gently caress has AMC+, but eeeey! I worked on this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gently caress yes! :holy:

Gary and His Demons was pretty much the only reason I ever went on VRV. (Well, that and Harmontown.) So glad to see it come back.