Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll be hitting up Hiroshima, Ehime, and Kochi this summer. About half our accomodationa are campsites, so it should be good times drinking cold beer and eating grilled meat amidst the early evening din of the cicadas.

I also wanna go hike Mt Fuji before the foreign tourist crowds return, and especially since the last time I did it 14 years ago I was a fat gently caress. It will necessitate a separate trip, but I can bang that out in two days since I live a couple hours drive away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mister Chief posted:

What?

What’s wrong with Ueno?

Nothing, Ueno is great. He's just a yamanote samurai looking down on the shitamachi scrubs.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Would also suggest Shinagawa station area for hotels, there's a couple nice ones walking distance from a fairly simple station with plenty of JR lines and it's not the dungeon that Shinjuku Station area is.

also yeah double check your Saitama day on Google Maps, I think some of those things may be spread out, and the Railway Museum is a good half-day on its own. if your rail fan friend also likes planes, the Tokorozawa Aviation Museum is another good stop.

One note for Odaiba is that one of the big shopping malls/tourist spots there is getting demolished soon, and that's where TeamLab Borderless currently is. Borderless is closing in its current location on August 31, and they're moving to "somewhere central in the city" though I haven't heard where, but imagine Shibuya/Ginza/etc. and you're probably correct. Planets will still be open in Toyosu.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when i first went to japan as a tourist i didnt plan anything except for booking hotels. worked out fine and i saw plenty of stuff anyway

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Nothing is wrong with Ueno, it's just dingy and grimy and old. This is established fact. I'll still hit the kebab stand down the shopping street if I'm in the area, though I try to avoid it.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

Mostly basic bitch tourist stuff, I think; when we were initially planning for a few less days, I had the following listed:

Ghibli Museum, Mitaka
Teamlab Borderless/Planets
Saitama Railway Museum
Saitama - Hikawa Shrine
Saitama - Omiya Bonsai Art Museum/Village
Saitama - Prefectural Museum
Tokyo National Museum
Odaiba
Distillery Day
Akhibara
Imperial Palace

I like history a lot, one of the friends I'm going with really likes infrastructure stuff (trains, dams, that sort of thing). We all like food & drinking, definitely going to do at least a couple of nice meals, and a lot of street food, for sure trying fugu.

Just a heads up Teamlab borderless closes permanently at the end of August.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sup, if you're interested, I'll be at home in Niihama in August but not July.
I'm on the train rn and the view from the bridge between Shikoku and Okayama is still amazing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

teddust posted:

Just a heads up Teamlab borderless closes permanently at the end of August.

Like I said, they’re moving it, but where the “city center” location will be hasn’t been announced.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

harperdc posted:

Like I said, they’re moving it, but where the “city center” location will be hasn’t been announced.
I'm just dumb and assumed I was on the last page of the thread when I posted that, so I didn't see that you'd already given the heads up.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

peanut posted:

Sup, if you're interested, I'll be at home in Niihama in August but not July.
I'm on the train rn and the view from the bridge between Shikoku and Okayama is still amazing.

Alas, I'll be doing my trip the last week of July. We'll be driving from Onomichi into Shikoku.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Lyndon LaRouche posted:

Alas, I'll be doing my trip the last week of July. We'll be driving from Onomichi into Shikoku.

Are you in Line chat Lyndon?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

I like history a lot, one of the friends I'm going with really likes infrastructure stuff (trains, dams, that sort of thing). We all like food & drinking, definitely going to do at least a couple of nice meals, and a lot of street food, for sure trying fugu.

Street food isn’t really a thing in the Tokyo area outside of festivals. At least, not in the same way as somewhere like Taipei.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Bofast posted:

If any of you are rather good at Japanese (for the sake of safety in emergencies, I imagine) they might still be doing tours in those huge underground rainwater drainage systems around Tokyo for your infrastructure happy friend.

Looks like they recently restarted. I went like 10 years ago, it was pretty awesome.
https://gaikaku.jp/

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Mister Chief posted:

Are you in Line chat Lyndon?

I am not. You can DM me the deets.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

who's down for some gun control

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I figure I’ll be fine on my trip as long as I’m not an ex-PM, so I’ll take my chances with what you got.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

who's down for some gun control

There’s a very good chance this is the first attempted assault or murder with a gun in Japan in 2022, so I think the control is probably pretty fine.

Also don’t be Abe, I guess.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Also the gun appears to be homemade.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Abe just wanted to break one more record before he went.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
https://twitter.com/bnofeed/status/1549747104075206656?s=21&t=CMGUcAJADnMMA0_7k6MAoA

Can someone on the ground there please reassure me that this is some bad luck and that y'all haven't lost your drat minds and started emulating America's response to this

olives black fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 21, 2022

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's mainly because there's been comparatively less cases in previous waves.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Oh no. That's terrible. Guess we will need to keep out tourists for another few years. Sorry guys.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

olives black posted:

https://twitter.com/bnofeed/status/1549747104075206656?s=21&t=CMGUcAJADnMMA0_7k6MAoA

Can someone on the ground there please reassure me that this is some bad luck and that y'all haven't lost your drat minds and started emulating America's response to this

Goons stop worrying about Covid difficulty: impossible.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

olives black posted:

There have been some large public events, and a small but growing number of people are foregoing masks because of the heat. But I mainly think it's just that the current variant is so transmissable.

Fortunately hospitalizations are still pretty low.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Gabriel Grub posted:

There have been some large public events, and a small but growing number of people are foregoing masks because of the heat. But I mainly think it's just that the current variant is so transmissable.

Fortunately hospitalizations are still pretty low.

I have seen zero change in mask wearing in this heat outside.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Good thing no one ITT's been madly F5ing their travel plans and decided to buy tickets for this year while the pandemic is still very much in progress instead of choosing another country to visit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Frankly I kinda expected this to happen. My dad’s gonna be upset if the borders close again.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Lyndon LaRouche posted:

I've had a deathwish for years so I ain't worrying

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

They should wait until there's no more waves anywhere. Shouldn't be too long now...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

I’ve seen a few more dipshits going bare-faced but nothing substantial, still well above 75% at minimum.

I think it’s that more people are “going back to normal” and that means travel, dining out, more in the office etc and that doesn’t work well with this variant.

For context, about a month ago Tokyo was in the hundreds of cases a day. Two days ago was 11,000 cases, yesterday was 24,000. Now even if you don’t believe the numbers 100%, that’s what is being reported and is an insane trend.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Lyndon LaRouche posted:

You should see the GBS thread these days lmao

edit:

Also:

AHH F/UGH posted:

Looking forward to jackal's "well I went ahead and booked my ticket for October 20th 2024" post in the coming months

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

As you know, I'm on the train every day. It's definitely less than the near 100% it was before.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nice we're 4x the levels during the Olympics last year :krad:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Japan’s catching up to where the entire rest of the world has been for a while. Frankly it’s not a bad idea to blame every country but Japan cause my god did humanity gently caress this up.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Probably not the worst time to "catch up" as opposed to before most of the population being vaccinated.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hah, plans for October are definitely in peril now. My dad’s talking about a pilgrimage walk in Scotland/England. Second half of that is a downgrade for sure, but I’m not gonna lie, Scotland sounds pretty cool.

The government should poo poo or get off the pot with the guided tour restriction. They’re getting the worst of both worlds right now - no experienced and familiar tourists, no expat family visits, no immigrant labor, no independent or cultural event business, few corporate business travelers, yes rando American and British dopes on leashes making loud noise and stuffing trains at commute hours.

Drop it, or go full 鎖国. Either works for me.

Lyndon LaRouche posted:

my dude it killed people

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s way too early to say that my May plans are in peril, but I also don’t think they’re as “slam dunk” as they were a week or two ago. I really do miss visiting this stupid island, but I’ve got a trip planned to England in November myself, so hopefully I can sate my travel lust with a somewhat stupider island instead.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They’ve been giving out temporary visas for family visits and business, etc. for a while now. I think it’s just tourists who still can’t get in.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
one of my japanese friends from college brought his entire family over to LA as of a few days ago so the reverse is eminently doable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

The government should poo poo or get off the pot with the guided tour restriction. They’re getting the worst of both worlds right now - no experienced and familiar tourists, no expat family visits, no immigrant labor, no independent or cultural event business,

LyonsLions posted:

They’ve been giving out temporary visas for family visits and business, etc. for a while now. I think it’s just tourists who still can’t get in.

Ding ding ding. People have moved over to Japan finally - including those waiting years for student or work visas to clear. Families can visit - they just have to apply for a visa instead of have the easier visa waiver (aka show up and get stamped). My dad could come visit if he wanted, we could have people come from another office to here on work visits or to move offices.

And it’s not random Brits/Americans on leashes for the tour groups. Think SE Asia. The one that got stopped in June because somebody tested positive was from Thailand, IIRC.