Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LifeSunDeath posted:

My buddy has been going to some "pop up dispensaries" in Houston. Apparently this poo poo gets advertised on apps and they move locations every week, but the weed is straight from CA or CO and good and they sell it like it's a legal situation, even give you free prerolls and edibles. Weed is still mega illegal here but in Harris county it's nearly decriminalized for under 2 ounces.

Per state law, under 2oz is a misdemeanor in Texas. Where people get hemmed up in Texas is the county and city levels, who can impose stricter poo poo.

Concentrates and edibles are straight felonies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm so glad Michigan loves vices

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Per state law, under 2oz is a misdemeanor in Texas. Where people get hemmed up in Texas is the county and city levels, who can impose stricter poo poo.

Concentrates and edibles are straight felonies though.

I just made an incredibly strong tincture batch in the magic butter machine and it blows my mind that, should I take this a state or two over, I could do a lot of time for that bucket of everclear and green stuff

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
what I am saying is america is a dumb hell nation and everyone just migrate to washington where I can smoke a giant doink on my dog walks and at worst I get NIMBYs giving me side eye lol

let's start sneaking people into train cars that's still a thing yeah?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Riding the rails is the leading cause of people being chopped in half at the waist in North America.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Riding the rails is the leading cause of people being chopped in half at the waist in North America.

yes but then I have twice the friend

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

I just made an incredibly strong tincture batch in the magic butter machine and it blows my mind that, should I take this a state or two over, I could do a lot of time for that bucket of everclear and green stuff

can't wait till i move to a fully legal state in a couple months and can do stuff like this and grow my own weed and whatnot, super hyped

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

WampaLord posted:

can't wait till i move to a fully legal state in a couple months and can do stuff like this and grow my own weed and whatnot, super hyped

I wish Washington would let me grow, but my ultimate goal is to move to Oregon at some point in the future, and get property. And then do things with it. :)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

what I am saying is america is a dumb hell nation and everyone just migrate to washington where I can smoke a giant doink on my dog walks and at worst I get NIMBYs giving me side eye lol

if you move to my part of LA you dont even get that, smoking weed in public has been normalized here since well before legalization

of course the tradeoff is that its a billion degrees and constantly on fire. but that will apply to the rest of the earth soon enough

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

ReelBigLizard posted:

weed update - finally got approved for prescription weed
:frogc00l:

Update: I got my weed. It was surreal going to the co-op* and just picking up my weed and giving them my share number and buying some fishermen's friends** at the same like a regular purchase.

* like a british sam's club
** like altoids but cursed/blessed with licorice

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ReelBigLizard posted:

Update: I got my weed. It was surreal going to the co-op* and just picking up my weed and giving them my share number and buying some fishermen's friends** at the same like a regular purchase.

* like a british sam's club
** like altoids but cursed/blessed with licorice

what a minute, you got legal weed in England? if true that's amazing.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm not in England, but yes, Britain as a whole has medical weed. I now have a monthly subscription for 10g a month, South African Birthday Cake, and I pick it up from my grocery store pharmacy. I have nerve damage in my arm and some back trouble as well as anxiety.

My wife gets 10g of Pink Kush too, so it's looking like a really good summer

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 23, 2022

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ReelBigLizard posted:

Do they actually tell you you can only get *this* or *that* strain, or do you get to choose from a handful of different ones?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LifeSunDeath posted:

Dude, fuctifino has been getting med weed in england for a while. They've had medical for a few years, their hoops are just harder to jump through than a lot of places in the US.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LifeSunDeath posted:

We have since 2018, though not many people seem to be aware. To qualify, you have to have an official diagnosis of a condition where cannabis is beneficial, and have tried at least two conventional treatments. It's all done online, and it's a surprisingly easy process. I have CFS/ME and went via the chronic pain route. It's £50 for the online zoom consultation with my clinic (Sapphire Medical), and the prescribed cannabis is anything from £5/g to £13.75/g delivered to your door.

The system is a pharmaceutical controlled monopoly, but it's working for me. I've been legal since May last year, and it still feels novel to openly vape in public. My medicine is literally that: prescribed medicine, and as such is protected under the 2010 Equality Act. Employers, venue owners and landlords etc. cannot discriminate against people using legally prescribed medicine.

:420:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Do they actually tell you you can only get *this* or *that* strain, or do you get to choose from a handful of different ones?

If it's anything like our system, the cannabis is actually prescribed, as in the amount and the specific strain/manufacturer just like any other medical prescription. They all have whacky names. I'm currently prescribed the following in up to 1g a day amounts, so on paper I can vape up to 4g a day, though in reality I total ~1g most days.

Adven EMT1: White Widow x Amnesia Haze
Adven EMT3: Dosidos(???) (people aren't sure)
Spectrum Therapeutics Red2: Lemon Skunk
Khiron: Hindu Kush

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 23, 2022

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fuctifino posted:

They all have whacky names

the single worst part of weed culture imo

tho I am a sucker for anything named after Star Wars stuff, like when I was living in CA I would end up getting stuff like Skywalker OG or Yoda Kush

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I avoid themed strains. Trying to tie poo poo to pop culture might be good for sales but there's often better weed right next to it on the shelf that doesn't invoke a disney property and is sometimes cheaper.

Though if I was going to go through the trouble of making a new strain, I'd probably name it something like Leia's Bush.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

WampaLord posted:

the single worst part of weed culture imo

tho I am a sucker for anything named after Star Wars stuff, like when I was living in CA I would end up getting stuff like Skywalker OG or Yoda Kush

I'm pretty sure a local place carries a brand that's all star wars themed poo poo? Anyway who would have thought a pre-roll with Chewbacca on the packaging would have been one of the worst pre-rolls I've had by far.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I hate pre-rolls, personally. It's usually the weed closest to test expiration outside of shake, well after it's been picked over on the shelf for a month. And they're usually rolled/packed like poo poo, develop runs, that kind of thing.

Cones burn faster, too. Larger surface area of a cone burns the weed faster than a normal joint with a consistent diameter over the length.

So no, I'm not surprised a Chewbacca pre-roll sucked, and I wouldn't be surprised if you overpaid for it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't seek them out normally, it's usually on super discount or a rewards freebie. To which I say, a free joint? I don't care how bad it is. (He says after having bitched about it online)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh, if it's free, gently caress it, smoke that poo poo.

All too often I see dispensaries trying to sell pre-rolls for $10+ and I just glaze over while the middle finger in my mind reaches for new heights.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The only strain I ever actually preferred was Agent Orange, it had a slight orange taste when I vaped it, everything else just tasted like weed. That was neat.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

fuctifino posted:

:420:

If it's anything like our system, the cannabis is actually prescribed

We followed the UK (I live on an island which is british but we have our own legal system) with medical in 2020, initially you had to do it by video call and post with the UK, but now we have a few doctors who run little dedicated clinics for diagnosis, and then essentially create you a personal import license that they handle. Technically I am Licensed to Import Cannabis by the state. We can apparently travel to any other country with equivalent exceptions for medical cannabis, so I can hop on a plane with my weed and vape and go to the UK or europe no problem, I guess maybe the US too?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

fuctifino already answered but yea, at the end of my consulation the doctor was like "ok, we'll get you on 10g/mo of indica" and showed me a list of like 10, with different strengths and prices. They have a commercial name but you can just look up what they are on a wiki - https://medbud.wiki/strains/

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

WampaLord posted:

The only strain I ever actually preferred was Agent Orange, it had a slight orange taste when I vaped it, everything else just tasted like weed. That was neat.

Try to get your hands on girl scout cookies or one of the offshoots, it's got a rad mint flavour.

Grapefruit romulan also tasted amazing, and I'm not wild about grapefruit.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

fuctifino posted:

Adven EMT3: Dosidos(???) (people aren't sure)

Dosidos is also spelled do-si-dos and is actually a type of Girl Scout cookie. It's from the vein of strains like GSC and Thin Mints and whatnot. These names are ridiculous tbh

I will try to seek out Blue Dream or Headband or Sunset Sherbert if I can find it. Besides those three, the strain names mean nothing to me and I don't even feel consistent effects across large batches of the same strain these days lol

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I did get some Cherry Garcia a couple of months back that's super stony and been pretty good to smoke on. It's a local grow in Detroit and I have zero clue how to find their poo poo regularly, no website, no contact info, nothin'

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

bagmonkey posted:

Dosidos is also spelled do-si-dos and is actually a type of Girl Scout cookie. It's from the vein of strains like GSC and Thin Mints and whatnot. These names are ridiculous tbh

Yeah, I've had Dosidos from black market sources in the past, and it's been great. My point was that nobody is 100% sure that Adven EMT3 is Dosidos, as the pharm companies often like to keep that info secret.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Depending on where you are, the strain names don't matter. Companies have to rename strains all the time because regulatory groups won't allow the original name.

You also have companies using genetics they don't have the rights to, so they rename them to avoid any legal issues.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, I've had Dosidos from black market sources in the past, and it's been great. My point was that nobody is 100% sure that Adven EMT3 is Dosidos, as the pharm companies often like to keep that info secret.

tbh I don't even think the growers in Michigan really know if they are growing Dosidos. Only a handful of grows here actually test their bud for the terpenes to make sure it matches the strain they say they are growing, most just buy poo poo from "reputable seed sellers" and do these crazy macro grows. It kinda sucks because I remember almost 10 years ago when I had a black market dealer who grew his own stuff and he had some absolutely amazing stuff and each strain was intensely unique, in smell, in the type of high, length of high, etc. Recreational weed here in the States just feels kinda... muddy now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

bagmonkey posted:

I did get some Cherry Garcia a couple of months back that's super stony and been pretty good to smoke on. It's a local grow in Detroit and I have zero clue how to find their poo poo regularly, no website, no contact info, nothin'

try hannaford's

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm not in England, but yes, Britain as a whole has medical weed. I now have a monthly subscription for 10g a month, South African Birthday Cake, and I pick it up from my grocery store pharmacy. I have nerve damage in my arm and some back trouble as well as anxiety.

that's awesome, glad you're getting meds. wonderful summer indeed.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

tbh I don't even think the growers in Michigan really know if they are growing Dosidos. Only a handful of grows here actually test their bud for the terpenes to make sure it matches the strain they say they are growing, most just buy poo poo from "reputable seed sellers" and do these crazy macro grows. It kinda sucks because I remember almost 10 years ago when I had a black market dealer who grew his own stuff and he had some absolutely amazing stuff and each strain was intensely unique, in smell, in the type of high, length of high, etc. Recreational weed here in the States just feels kinda... muddy now.

I remember when our cut of Charlotte's Web came back with 30% THC lol

There are some good ones, the new "Mac" strains (Mac and cheese, free world mac, I think there's one just called "Mac", etc) that I've seen directly are all excellent. I wonder if being new has something to do with it, like there's been less time for mislabels and competition trying to recreate it to muddy it in the way you're talking about.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

I remember when our cut of Charlotte's Web came back with 30% THC lol

There are some good ones, the new "Mac" strains (Mac and cheese, free world mac, I think there's one just called "Mac", etc) that I've seen directly are all excellent. I wonder if being new has something to do with it, like there's been less time for mislabels and competition trying to recreate it to muddy it in the way you're talking about.

I think that you're on to something with that! I have been noticing that the smaller / micro grows in Michigan will come out with a new strain, it'll get great reviews, then you'll see knock off strains start to come down the pipeline 3-6 months later, all done a lot more cheaply and with way more corners cut, resulting in a worse product. Like, I remember as my last dealer was enjoying his own supply a bit too much and his attention to his grow started to lack, the quality went from best ever to "this is good, I guess", kinda similar to the micro grows vs the macro grows

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
There's also the whole Viridis Labs thing in Michigan where an ex-cop owned testing lab is falsifying results and allowing for brands to sell bunk rear end weed that's fake tested way higher than it's actual potency. That means grows are skipping corners and consumers are ending up with a shittier, even sometimes dangerous w/r/t mold or heavy metals, product.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ReelBigLizard posted:

We can apparently travel to any other country with equivalent exceptions for medical cannabis, so I can hop on a plane with my weed and vape and go to the UK or europe no problem, I guess maybe the US too?

I wouldn't test the waters on this theory, especially given how broken the states are with various laws. No medical shop in the US is likely to honor it, or if it's being mailed it's probable that customs or postal will snag it and it will disappear with only a yellow notice in your mailbox regarding it.

If you're manx there's an odd chance I'm a very distant cousin.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I wouldn't test the waters on this theory, especially given how broken the states are with various laws. No medical shop in the US is likely to honor it, or if it's being mailed it's probable that customs or postal will snag it and it will disappear with only a yellow notice in your mailbox regarding it.

If you're manx there's an odd chance I'm a very distant cousin.

Guernsey

I meant more being able to travel with some of my weed on me if it's prescription with documentation, etc. I know it's possible. I'm not planning on testing it with the US, don't fancy getting shot in Newark arrivals, I'd probably just go to a state where I can just buy it now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ah, good, you're not from cousin-loving island, at least. My understanding is that the IoM was/is basically West Virginia of the UK.

Yeah, if you come stateside you'll just want to hit rec shops. Too many states are wildly stupid about weed and bringing an accent into things can only hurt you in some places.

Also, all the national parks people like to visit are federal property, and state laws don't apply on federal land. So don't openly smoke a joint somewhere like Yellowstone.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Also, all the national parks people like to visit are federal property, and state laws don't apply on federal land. So don't openly smoke a joint somewhere like Yellowstone.

technically right, but also Yellowstone is a massive area containing over three thousand square miles of wilderness and in most of it, running into another human being at all is rare. just don't smoke in the touristy bits.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've heard people quote prices of £40-£50/g for crap street weed on the islands. Having access to clean £5+/g meds must be a blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Technically it's illegal, but legally it's not illegal if you don't get caught.