Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GTD Aquitaine posted:

The dark forest idea has always rubbed me the wrong way because it starts with the whole "aliens will obliterate potentially-threatening technological civilizations" bit. An earlier post that cited Atomic Rockets touched on this, but consider - we're already close to being able to detect biosignatures on exoplanets while being far, far away from being able to build relativistic kill vehicles. If you've got a society that's so paranoid and terrified that they'll genocide other civilizations sight unseen, why would they even wait to introduce the possibility of a threat emerging? Far better to regularly bombard any planet that displays the capacity to support life, before it develops a technological civilization.

That way they don't even have to worry about the ethics of genocide: "we're not killing a civilization, it's only a few critters!"

Earth's current existence, to me, is a huge mark against the dark forest.

One of the premises of Dark Forest theory is that the galaxy has finite resources to compete for, so taking it as face value it makes sense they wouldn't burn every world they come across because if it is uninhabited, they're just wasting precious matter and energy they could be using for themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Tezer posted:

The first three are great. I didn't read the second set of three which were written decades later, I liked the way the third book ended.

I really, really enjoyed Tehanu, when reading it a few years back (closing on 40), straight after re-reading the first three books the first time after school years. It is obviously different, about 18 years different than the earlier books, but the theme and mood just spoke to me in a way that it really wouldn't have to 90's me, I think.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Lunsku posted:

I really, really enjoyed Tehanu, when reading it a few years back (closing on 40), straight after re-reading the first three books the first time after school years. It is obviously different, about 18 years different than the earlier books, but the theme and mood just spoke to me in a way that it really wouldn't have to 90's me, I think.

Tehanowns

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

World Fantasy Award shortlists, if someone is fishing for reading suggestions:
https://www.wfc2022.org/world-fantasy-award

Novel:
Black Water Sister by Zen Cho (Ace Books/Macmillan)
A Master of Djinn by P. Djèlí Clark (Tordotcom/Orbit UK)
The City Beautiful by Aden Polydoros (Inkyard Press)
The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri (Orbit US/Orbit UK)
The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward (Nightfire/Viper UK)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Lunsku posted:

I don't think I liked Tehanu all that much when I read it aaaages ago, but I recently reread them all and now Tehanu is great. It's definitely more of an old person book than the first three.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Lunsku posted:

I'll have to give Tehanu a shot. I think what turned me away was finding out that the second 'trilogy' wasn't a 'trilogy' but like one book that seemed related (Tehanu) and then the second book was short stories? And I just moved on at that point. Not my most coherent decision making.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

No Dignity posted:

One of the premises of Dark Forest theory is that the galaxy has finite resources to compete for, so taking it as face value it makes sense they wouldn't burn every world they come across because if it is uninhabited, they're just wasting precious matter and energy they could be using for themselves

I don't really buy that - bombarding a world to destroy a potential enemy civilization doesn't mean you still can't get its resources. Unless the aggressors are specifically looking for organic resources or elements such as uranium that are concentrated by planetary water cycles, it'd be easier to get them from uninhabitable bodies with very low surface gravities. Beyond that, the sheer scale of the galaxy meaning that its resources are effectively infinite anyway.

But then so much of the Dark Forest hypothesis is down to ideology anyway, rather than "would this actually make sense."

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

GTD Aquitaine posted:

I don't really buy that - bombarding a world to destroy a potential enemy civilization doesn't mean you still can't get its resources. Unless the aggressors are specifically looking for organic resources or elements such as uranium that are concentrated by planetary water cycles, it'd be easier to get them from uninhabitable bodies with very low surface gravities. Beyond that, the sheer scale of the galaxy meaning that its resources are effectively infinite anyway.

But then so much of the Dark Forest hypothesis is down to ideology anyway, rather than "would this actually make sense."

I'm so sick of defending you from shivan bombers

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GTD Aquitaine posted:

I'm reading these posts while watching an episode of Ancient Aliens. The contrast between the Dark Forest paranoid pessimism and AAs ridiculously humanocentric optimism is kind of fun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The main problem with dark forest, imo, is that it assumes that all hypothetical alien races process transaction and risk identically to human brains.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Lunsku posted:

World Fantasy Award shortlists, if someone is fishing for reading suggestions:
https://www.wfc2022.org/world-fantasy-award

Novel:
Black Water Sister by Zen Cho (Ace Books/Macmillan)
A Master of Djinn by P. Djèlí Clark (Tordotcom/Orbit UK)
The City Beautiful by Aden Polydoros (Inkyard Press)
The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri (Orbit US/Orbit UK)
The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward (Nightfire/Viper UK)

I don't know anything about Catriona Ward, but on the basis of this and the reviews I've taken a punt on Sundial, her latest, which is £1.79 on UK Kindle today.

I have no real opinion about the dark forest, but the fact that humans are earth's second attempt at a globe-dominating, tool-using species after the dinosaurs gives me some slim hope that the worst of the great filter may actually be behind us. I'd say this hope keeps me warm at night but actually that's the climate change.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Tezer posted:

I'll have to give Tehanu a shot. I think what turned me away was finding out that the second 'trilogy' wasn't a 'trilogy' but like one book that seemed related (Tehanu) and then the second book was short stories? And I just moved on at that point. Not my most coherent decision making.

Tehanu is basically LeGuin's feminist response to her own work after she has time to consider some of the implications.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Also I enjoyed Blackwater Sister more than i thought i would.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Danhenge posted:

Tehanu is basically LeGuin's feminist response to her own work after she has time to consider some of the implications.

Maybe also some of the responses: https://ansible.uk/misc/tpspeech.html

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i prefer the inverted dark forest idea behind 'first contact'. there is enough for everyone, and it's humanity's duty to kill everyone who says otherwise

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

zoux posted:

So what do you guys think the answer to the Fermi paradox is I think it's "universe too big" especially after seeing the JWST deep field

Life is fragile and nukes are easy to build and most planets that ever manage to do it take billions of years to evolve sapient life so they end up using planet-sickening fossil fuels instead of fission and fusion like they should. If that’s not the case, it’s that space is too vast, if that’s not the case, I choose to remain hopeful and believe we’re the first :getin:

Basically same as I believed when I learned about the Fermi paradox when I was 7 or 8.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

I have no real opinion about the dark forest, but the fact that humans are earth's second attempt at a globe-dominating, tool-using species after the dinosaurs gives me some slim hope that the worst of the great filter may actually be behind us. I'd say this hope keeps me warm at night but actually that's the climate change.
I don't want to ruin the foundations of your hopes, but as far as I'm aware all known tool usage in dinosaurs is found in contemporary birds and in any case even after the K-Pg boundary dinosaurs are an enormously varied and gigantic clade of animals that can't be conceptualized as a 'species' any more than mammals or deciduous trees.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Alastair Reynolds’ new collection, Belladonna Nights, is really dang good. Three great stories in the Revelation Space universe, but they’re not even the highlight. If you liked the Netflix Love-Death-Robots stories based on his work, the one-shots here are similarly intriguing.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

fritz posted:

Maybe also some of the responses: https://ansible.uk/misc/tpspeech.html

Thanks for sharing that.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Even human brains don't really process transaction or risk dark forest style. That only happens when you get think tank weirdos trying to game history like it's an engineering problem.

Even at the height of the cold war it now emerges that the name of the game was careerist bungling, not some precisely calibrated bingo bongo alpha bravo the president is on board deterrence procedure.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I recently put a bullet in Yukikaze and Good Luck, Yukikaze by Chohei Kambayshi, and they were a weird experience. The series was talked up to me as "a guy who really likes fighter jets wanted to do his own version of Solaris," which is a near-perfect pitch for me. Unfortunately they didn't stick the landing. Part of my issue is that the first book is clearly a set of short stories bundled up with some post-facto edits made to string things together. The localization was fine - nothing to write home about, nothing to complain about, but it also means there's not a lot of artistry in the English version. As such, you're given a big chunk of somewhat bland words that boil down to "what if there were computers?" and that just isn't that exciting in the 2020s. I was left with the strange feeling of wanting to like something more than I actually did.

I also finally got around to reading Children of Ruin. 's alright. It's following in Children of Time's footsteps and it can't be as shiny and new as its predecessor by definition, but it was a perfectly fine read. I hate to admit to reading Warhammer fiction, but I also grabbed Tchaikovsky's Day of Ascension and enjoyed it more than Ruin. Like, it's 40K licensed fiction, but it actually has cogent if not particularly novel things to say about faith and liberation in the plastic army men book.

General Battuta posted:

I'm so sick of defending you from shivan bombers

It's about time someone said it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://twitter.com/QuotesOfJGB/status/1550586488462708738

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fans? Pfft, who needs them?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I have no idea who JG Ballard is.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strategic Tea posted:

Even human brains don't really process transaction or risk dark forest style. That only happens when you get think tank weirdos trying to game history like it's an engineering problem.

Even at the height of the cold war it now emerges that the name of the game was careerist bungling, not some precisely calibrated bingo bongo alpha bravo the president is on board deterrence procedure.

my favorite post-cold war detail is that something hilarious like 80% of espionage against the United States or NATO members was in fact one group of the CIA fighting another one because of inter-officr politics

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
that's great lmao, I really dig Ballard...I still need to read more of his work, but I really liked High-Rise and The Drowned World was fun. Him and Swanwick were some of my favorite voices to discover in genre fiction over the last decade or so

JG posted:

A new social type was being created by the apartment building, a cool, unemotional personality impervious to the psychological pressures of high-rise life, with minimal needs for privacy, who thrived like an advanced species of machine in the neutral atmosphere. This was the sort of resident who was content to do nothing but sit in his over-priced apartment, watch television with the sound turned down, and wait for his neighbours to make a mistake.
Perhaps the recent incidents represented a last attempt by Wilder and the airline pilots to rebel against this unfolding logic? Sadly, they had little chance of success, precisely because their opponents were people who were content with their lives in the high-rise, who felt no particular objection to an impersonal steel and concrete landscape, no qualms about the invasion of their privacy by government agencies and data-processing organizations, and if anything welcomed these invisible intrusions, using them for their own purposes. These people were the first to master a new kind of late twentieth-century life. They thrived on the rapid turnover of acquaintances, the lack of involvement with others, and the total self-sufficiency of lives which, needing nothing, were never disappointed.
Alternatively, their real needs might emerge later. The more arid and affectless life became in the high-rise, the greater the possibilities it offered. By its very efficiency, the high-rise took over the task of maintaining the social structure that supported them all. For the first time it removed the need to repress every kind of anti-social behaviour, and left them free to explore any deviant or wayward impulses. It was precisely in these areas that the most important and most interesting aspects of their lives would take place. Secure within the shell of the high-rise like passengers on board an automatically piloted airliner, they were free to behave in any way they wished, explore the darkest corners they could find. In many ways, the high-rise was a model of all that technology had done to make possible the expression of a truly "free" psychopathology.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

I have no idea who JG Ballard is.

be curious for once. I don't like him or his work but he's undisputedly acclaimed and influential.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ballard is fantastic and has had multiple movies made of his books. Clammy premillennial paranoia and people interacting with machines and systems in deeply hosed up ways.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Punkin Spunkin posted:

that's great lmao, I really dig Ballard...I still need to read more of his work, but I really liked High-Rise and The Drowned World was fun. Him and Swanwick were some of my favorite voices to discover in genre fiction over the last decade or so

i guess high rise apartments are the English version of a subdevelopment with an HOA.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's divisive but I really liked the High Rise movie from a few years back.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

HopperUK posted:

It's divisive but I really liked the High Rise movie from a few years back.

Dredd?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Attack the Block?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
...High-Rise

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

HopperUK posted:

...High-Rise

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close!?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Snowpiercer?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Starship Troopers?

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

HopperUK posted:

...High-Rise

How High?

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
I didn't get past 3BP so I don't know about the rest of the series, but my recollection is that I found 3BP irritating cause I thought the science was lovely. A chaotic system doesn't mean unknowable chaos, just that you have to keep updating your predictions with new observations.

Also the characters were mostly one dimensional.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

RDM posted:

I didn't get past 3BP so I don't know about the rest of the series, but my recollection is that I found 3BP irritating cause I thought the science was lovely. A chaotic system doesn't mean unknowable chaos, just that you have to keep updating your predictions with new observations.

Also the characters were mostly one dimensional.

The characters get even flatter in the last book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

General Battuta posted:

The characters get even flatter in the last book!

Lmao