Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

thekeeshman posted:

Do you think keeping kids home from school has no negative consequences? Do you want to guess which kids suffer the most from the lack of a safe place, lack of school meals, lack of supportive adults? I'll give you a hint, it's not rich kids from two-parent families.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8909310/

thousands of kids (and this is a generously low estimate) now have long covid and will never enjoy the full quality of life they should have enjoyed

but it was super important that they go do their spelling worksheet in person so their mommies and daddies could get back to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well my grandparents died of covid i gave to them after i got it at school but thank goodness the schools stayed open, it would have been detrimental otherwise

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
there's also still just no loving telling what long term impact covid will have aside from the raw damage the first infection(s) might do to a child's health, they'll find out in 20 years when 40% of them get rear end cancer or whatever

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If you decided to have or keep a kid but can't wait to ship them off to school for most of the day maybe you're just a bad parent

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

300,000 kids lost a parent or guardian to covid. If we actually cared about kids, the government would have reopened schools while keeping bars and restaurants closed to make schools somewhat safe. But they didn't, because kids are only ever used as an excuse for doing whatever we wanted to do anyway.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Where did Corbyn’s vibes come from? Everyone just simultaneously decided he was a jew-hater as some quirk of their psychology?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

The schools had to close for covid and probably should've been closed even longer, but the resources and support that systemically deprived kids get at in-person school are very real. For a lot of kids that's their even-somewhat-a-little-healthy meal for the day, it's where they get an adult who pays attention to them, it's where they see other kids their age and get some social and emotional development, it's where they get out of a house that could be dangerous or unhealthy in any number of ways etc

It was super important they they do their spelling worksheets in person, and you're not a bad parent if you want your kids to have a normal school experience - but it was more important that they not get covid, and you're probably a bad parent if you'd risk your kid getting covid to have a normal school experience

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The schools had to close for covid and probably should've been closed even longer, but the resources and support that systemically deprived kids get at in-person school are very real. For a lot of kids that's their even-somewhat-a-little-healthy meal for the day, it's where they get an adult who pays attention to them, it's where they see other kids their age and get some social and emotional development, it's where they get out of a house that could be dangerous or unhealthy in any number of ways etc

It was super important they they do their spelling worksheets in person, and you're not a bad parent if you want your kids to have a normal school experience - but it was more important that they not get covid, and you're probably a bad parent if you'd risk your kid getting covid to have a normal school experience

You have a very rosy view of poor people schools op

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

I AM GRANDO posted:

Where did Corbyn’s vibes come from? Everyone just simultaneously decided he was a jew-hater as some quirk of their psychology?
It was the only thing that really stuck in their attempts to undermine him, so they hammered it. Plus being antisemitic underlined the fact that he was "pro-Muslim", and thus anti-British.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

You have a very rosy view of poor people schools op

I teach at a "poor people school" and I think you have a rosy view of the homes that some kids were stuck in while the school was closed.

The school closures were catastrophic on the educational, social, and emotional development of my students, of most students in most schools. Of course they were necessary to prevent greater catastrophe, like nuking New York to kill the cloverfield monster

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It was super important they they do their spelling worksheets in person

no, not really

people need to start adapting to the pandemic world we live in, since we refuse to take actual steps to stop the pandemic

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

WampaLord posted:

no, not really

people need to start adapting to the pandemic world we live in, since we refuse to take actual steps to stop the pandemic

It's bad for adults to be at home all day without in-person interaction with each other, and it's much worse for kids who are still learning how to be people, especially when they come from unsafe or unhealthy homes.

The horribleness of school shutdowns is part of why we need to take those actual steps to stop the pandemic instead of letting it ebb and flow endemically

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

It's bad for adults to be at home all day without in-person interaction with each other,

Nah.

quote:

and it's much worse for kids who are still learning how to be people, especially when they come from unsafe or unhealthy homes.

Need to spread :theroni: to stop the problem of bad homes rather than improving the powers of Child Protection Services - got it. :thumbsup:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Horseshoe theory posted:

Nah.

Need to spread :theroni: to stop the problem of bad homes rather than improving the powers of Child Protection Services - got it. :thumbsup:

c'mon I keep saying we had to close the schools because of covid. I just don't agree with downplaying how much that sucked for the kids

"Improving child protective services," i.e. making it easier for the government to take kids and put them in foster care, wouldn't solve the fact that kids benefit from growing up around each other. If I wanted to improve my students' lives while they were stuck at home because of covid (as they should have been), I would choose stuff like universal basic income, ending the war on drugs and dramatically expanding public addiction treatment and harm reduction, mass public housing and food banks etc

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Jul 23, 2022

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

c'mon I keep saying we had to close the schools because of covid. I just don't agree with downplaying how much that sucked for the kids

I don't agree with downplaying how loving bad covid is but here we are, in the hot takes thread, having this discussion

Like, oh no, their social development was slightly affected! Thousands of kids died. Your priorities are hosed up.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

we also didn't even try to develop and accommodate alternate ways of fostering social growth for kids kept out of school because that would mean Changing Our Way Of Life (also it would cost money)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

He said public services should be primarily concerned with providing services to the public, and that austerity and grinding the poor into dust for no reason at all is bad so he became the biggest enemy of both parties and all media. The rest of Labour was holding events where they'd go over all the social media and public appearances of everybody left of Blair and ringing a bell whenever they found something extremely minor they could purge them over. It was a lot of people who built a statue to Nazi collaborators whose day job was purging Jews from Labour rolls being allowed to decide who is a good ally lol.

They should be destroyed, but it's an extremely instructive thing because post-Corbyn Labour is 1:1 what would have happened with the Dems if Bernie had won the nom

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think the question of whether it’s good or bad to send children back to school masks the larger reality that nobody had any choice at all because the bourgeoisie decided that it must be done to keep the current system running, so there was a reactionary version of encouraging it and a left-liberal version and here we are. Nobody had any control over what happened because our institutions don’t serve or care about us.

This is, incidentally, the same reason it’s stupid and wrong to blame “vibes” for people’s political enthusiasm, because their affect and beliefs are handed down to them, either directly through mass media or indirectly through a constant pruning of unacceptable thoughts and space given to desirable ones.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I don't agree with downplaying how loving bad covid is but here we are, in the hot takes thread, having this discussion

Like, oh no, their social development was slightly affected! Thousands of kids died. Your priorities are hosed up.

I'm glad the schools closed, they should've closed earlier and been closed longer.

I'm just someone-is-wrong-on-the-internet mad at takes like "if you wish your kid could go to school you're actually a bad parent" and "underfunded schools suck so hard that that kids don't even benefit from being there"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm glad the schools closed, they should've closed earlier and been closed longer.

I'm just someone-is-wrong-on-the-internet mad at takes like "if you wish your kid could go to school you're actually a bad parent" and "underfunded schools suck so hard that that kids don't even benefit from being there"

dont sleep on "human interaction is entirely unnecessary"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A thing that makes me cross about the school-closing argument is that it always focused on "well, the children are/aren't safe". A school is full of adults. The lives of teachers, teachers' aides, social workers, janitors, and so on are also at risk, and nobody sane ever claimed adults couldn't catch COVID.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

dont sleep on "human interaction is entirely unnecessary"

if people in this thread said any of those things you put in quotation marks, that sure would be embarrassing and wrong. fortunately, no one did.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I was one of the poor school kids, none of my teachers did poo poo when I was actively being abused. Don't have kids unless you're willing to care for them.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

WampaLord posted:

if people in this thread said any of those things you put in quotation marks, that sure would be embarrassing and wrong. fortunately, no one did.

"underfunded schools suck so hard that that kids don't even benefit from being there"

tokin opposition posted:

You think the schools those kids go to are better?

"if you wish your kid could go to school you're actually a bad parent"

tokin opposition posted:

If you decided to have or keep a kid but can't wait to ship them off to school for most of the day maybe you're just a bad parent

"human interaction is entirely unnecessary"

Horseshoe theory posted:

It's bad for adults to be at home all day without in-person interaction with each other,
Nah.

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Jul 23, 2022

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

those words aren't the same words that are in your quotations, stop fighting strawmen

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

I was one of the poor school kids, none of my teachers did poo poo when I was actively being abused. Don't have kids unless you're willing to care for them.

That's terrible, I'm sorry your school didn't more for you, I hope it was at least a place where you weren't being actively abused while you were there. For a lot of students it has that role, and for many students it does much more for them.

Your judgement upon parents whose kids benefit from being at school (pretty much all of them) doesn't change that the kids benefit from being at school. You can believe those parents shouldn't've had the kids, but the kids are here now and it's a shame that the pandemic means they shouldn't be going to school in person

WampaLord posted:

those words aren't the same words that are in your quotations, stop fighting strawmen

:psyduck:

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Jul 23, 2022

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kids benefit from being at school

and we're trying to convince you that, no, they don't, not while a pandemic is ongoing. they get sick. they come home and give it to mom and dad and maybe a parent dies. maybe someone in the household has long covid now. their entire loving world is now upside down because it's not safe to have in person school during a pandemic

the risk calculus doesn't make sense and you're over here going "but sometimes school helps them!"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Libs are big on appeals to their authority and their approved experts. So if the lib CDC had said "masks on" they'd have done it.
Policy wise I don't really see president D doing much different than Trump.
Rhetorically though, where Trump just double and tripled down on the virus getting no big deal they'd have twisted themselves into knots trying to convince us that actually they were correct to downplay early and upplay now because that's what "the science" told them. And as an institution "the science" is always correct.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

3 months from now monkeypox is going to be running rampant through the school system, but kIDS BEnEFit fROm BeinG at sCHOoL

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

WampaLord posted:

and we're trying to convince you that, no, they don't, not while a pandemic is ongoing. they get sick. they come home and give it to mom and dad and maybe a parent dies. maybe someone in the household has long covid now. their entire loving world is now upside down because it's not safe to have in person school during a pandemic

You're trying to convince me of the thing I keep saying?

The schools had to close for covid and probably should've been closed even longer,

it was more important that they not get covid, and you're probably a bad parent if you'd risk your kid getting covid to have a normal school experience

Of course they were necessary to prevent greater catastrophe, like nuking New York to kill the cloverfield monster

c'mon I keep saying we had to close the schools because of covid

the pandemic means they shouldn't be going to school in person

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
stop arguing past each other like this is dnd

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Libs are big on appeals to their authority and their approved experts. So if the lib CDC had said "masks on" they'd have done it.
Policy wise I don't really see president D doing much different than Trump.
Rhetorically though, where Trump just double and tripled down on the virus getting no big deal they'd have twisted themselves into knots trying to convince us that actually they were correct to downplay early and upplay now because that's what "the science" told them. And as an institution "the science" is always correct.

the big differences would have been like, the federal government probably wouldn't have seized and literally stolen shipments of supplies bought by states; the issue of mask wearing/not mask wearing would very likely not have been as bad (trump was pretty personally responsible for a lot of this); fair chance that Ds would have tried to insert some dumbfuck "means testing" in free vaccinations to unnecessarily complicate it; but yeah the overall strategy would have been (and is) the same, absolute rejection of anything that might Change Our Way Of Life / interfere even slightly with capital

e: Important to remember that a lot of the federal government's early covid response was very literally to rely on trump's magical brain powers to alter reality and make the virus go away

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

You're trying to convince me of the thing I keep saying?

it's insanely funny. some sort of drive to be the most right and maligned

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

If you don't have children we can eliminate the human race by 2122

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tokin opposition posted:

Why do we blame the parents. What if the kid just has bad vibes?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

lol :getout:

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

yeah imagine if we had a pandemic virus constantly mutating, an exciting -pox variant spreading and nobody knowing how bad it actually is, AND the triumphant return of polio and we couldn't go to brunch because there was a dang ol cheeto in the white house keeping our kids outta school

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Jul 23, 2022

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

on why more women don’t get into tabletop gaming:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

yeah imagine if we had a pandemic virus constantly mutating, an exciting -pox variant spreading and nobody knowing how bad it actually is, AND the triumphant return of polio and we couldn't go to brunch because there was a dang ol cheeto in the white house keeping our kids outta school
oh poo poo is polio back

lmao I missed that we had a case a day ago (for the first time in almost ten years! we really did almost have it gone!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

WampaLord posted:

3 months from now monkeypox is going to be running rampant through the school system, but kIDS BEnEFit fROm BeinG at sCHOoL

the children in your school certainly would have benefitted from you staying home