Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

AceClown posted:

it's racism

I don't know about this specific case but in general it comes up a lot as whitebread or racism for a having limited food pallet.

I have travelled a fair chunk of the world and I can tell you in all cultures I have experienced, there are plenty of people that pretty much refuse to want to taste other food except to that which they are accustomed. It's not money and it's not age because this applies from five year olds to 90 year olds. Some people just only want familiar food. I really really love different foods (we cook authentic Korean, Filipino, W. African, Aussie, Vietnamese and Chinese dishes, go to restaurants for other cuisines) so it baffles and frustrates me when you (for eg) take a filipino to an awesome korean restaurant and they can only eat rice and the egg omlette or Korean BBQ (which is admittedly a good hit out anyway) and then go outside for streetfood balut to tide them over until a proper meal. Filipinos as a group are among the least racist people I have interacted with worldwide experience as a nation through their millions of overseas workers.

I organised to send a Tanzanian engineer (that taught himself the local languages where we were working to get along better) to Bordeaux along with a couple of Senegalese for a conference. We organised a few thousand euros on top of the normal petty cash and the travellers amongst us coached them on how to find the best food, best places to see etc. When he got back, I asked him about the food in France and he said emphatically he just could not wait to get back to Africa to have normal food.

A plane was brought down because Indians on board didn't want to eat the airplane food and were cooking their own on an open flame down the back of the 747.

TL DR, limited food pallet is frustrating but not a mid west specialty or anything, despite common misconception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I don't know about this specific case but in general it comes up a lot as whitebread or racism for a having limited food pallet.

I have travelled a fair chunk of the world and I can tell you in all cultures I have experienced, there are plenty of people that pretty much refuse to want to taste other food except to that which they are accustomed. It's not money and it's not age because this applies from five year olds to 90 year olds. Some people just only want familiar food. I really really love different foods (we cook authentic Korean, Filipino, W. African, Aussie, Vietnamese and Chinese dishes, go to restaurants for other cuisines) so it baffles and frustrates me when you (for eg) take a filipino to an awesome korean restaurant and they can only eat rice and the egg omlette or Korean BBQ (which is admittedly a good hit out anyway) and then go outside for streetfood balut to tide them over until a proper meal. Filipinos as a group are among the least racist people I have interacted with worldwide experience as a nation through their millions of overseas workers.

I organised to send a Tanzanian engineer (that taught himself the local languages where we were working to get along better) to Bordeaux along with a couple of Senegalese for a conference. We organised a few thousand euros on top of the normal petty cash and the travellers amongst us coached them on how to find the best food, best places to see etc. When he got back, I asked him about the food in France and he said emphatically he just could not wait to get back to Africa to have normal food.

A plane was brought down because Indians on board didn't want to eat the airplane food and were cooking their own on an open flame down the back of the 747.

TL DR, limited food pallet is frustrating but not a mid west specialty or anything, despite common misconception.

There's a lot of stories of Chinese/Korean tourists who bring entire suitcases full of instant noodles because they don't believe they can get noodles in overseas countries.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mx. posted:

I (22F) want to break up with my BF (25M) because he wants to be friends with his childhood friend (28M) again. He thinks it’s not a big deal.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for taking my daughter and leaving the wedding after her stepbrother pulled her wig?

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for letting my dad comment on my gfs body

So many examples of "You can't judge someone by their words and actions! You don't know what's in their heart!"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

So many examples of "You can't judge someone by their words and actions! You don't know what's in their heart!"

You know what they say - you can't judge a book!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for blowing up my friend over her allergies before her wedding?

Oh no, not our long term friendship that turned out to be years of accommodating their stupid lie, I'll get right on that :effort:

It's probably shallow of me, but I would have boxed a baby to get to be friends with someone who could have fed me delicious homecooked Indian food when i was a kid.

I grew up on hairy bacon and cabbage, terrible carbonara (we called it eggy blurk, it was so bad I used to retch when I smelled it coming home), weird casseroles involving tins of mushroom soup and breadcrumbs, and pork chops so overcooked you could have cut a guy with the edge of them.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

pentyne posted:

There's a lot of stories of Chinese/Korean tourists who bring entire suitcases full of instant noodles because they don't believe they can get noodles in overseas countries.

I saw a comedy band once who had a song called "Giant Illegal Stew" about such tourists going to Australia and getting fined for bringing food in.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My region has a waystation system of mediocre chinese restaurants along rural highways that exist almost exclusively to feed chinese tour buses since they're physically incapable of eating anything else.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Refusing to try food from other cultures is definitely not just a white people thing but it's still rooted in racism/xenophobia in most cases, I would think.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bobstar posted:

I saw a comedy band once who had a song called "Giant Illegal Stew" about such tourists going to Australia and getting fined for bringing food in.

Giant Illegal Stew is also a good name for a thrash song. Giant Illegal Stu is a good name for a large Stuart who also has impulse control problems.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pookah posted:

It's probably shallow of me, but I would have boxed a baby to get to be friends with someone who could have fed me delicious homecooked Indian food when i was a kid.

Is this, like, punching a baby until it's knocked out or more like an Omelas situation?

Edit: could go for some bacon and cabbage, as to me it's different. Or maybe make some haluski...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

To clarify, I would have (gently) punched a baby to get access to that amazing homecooked Indian food.
I would not have been proud to do so, but it would 100% have seemed justified.

Edit: bacon and cabbage can be very nice. It's really good if you cook the cabbage in the bacony water, but hairy bacon is just plain nasty, and only hardcore boggers defend the eating of hairy bacon.
If you have to shave the drat meat you may have an image problem

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 23, 2022

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beachcomber posted:

Is this, like, punching a baby until it's knocked out or more like an Omelas situation?

Edit: could go for some bacon and cabbage, as to me it's different. Or maybe make some haluski...

the ref would step in way before the baby was knocked out

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What the gently caress is hairy bacon

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

pentyne posted:

And why did I search for it with filters off :negative:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

pentyne posted:

Yeah that's the big question

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
As a fat lady, there is no greater turnoff than someone who won’t try new food. I understand a few squeamishness (like, strange cuts of meat or texture aversion), but if it’s “YUCKYYY I CANT PRONOUNCE THIS” nonsense, hit da bricks

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
It's annoying even with people who are focused on really good food as their starting place. I know Italian-Americans who logically revel in their own cuisine, but look funny at even other Mediterranean foods like Greek/Turkish/Lebanese.

Fucks sake that isn't even far away.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

run on sentience posted:

Refusing to try food from other cultures is definitely not just a white people thing but it's still rooted in racism/xenophobia in most cases, I would think.

Food's a very fundamental thing, and some people just can't handle flavors they didn't grow up with. A lot of Chinese people don't like chocolate, which even the pickiest white people eat, because they didn't grow up with it. Or try getting a white bread american to try some nice stinky french cheese sometime.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

teen witch posted:

As a fat lady, there is no greater turnoff than someone who won’t try new food. I understand a few squeamishness (like, strange cuts of meat or texture aversion), but if it’s “YUCKYYY I CANT PRONOUNCE THIS” nonsense, hit da bricks

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I wish I didn’t have severe texture issues because so much food smells delicious :(

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for letting my dad comment on my gfs body

huh, weird that the people your dad creeps on don't see the humor in it. maybe you're not explaining the joke right

I don’t get it unless he thinks she’s really ugly and is doing that ironically it’s not a joke. It’s just a statement

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Kitfox88 posted:

I wish I didn’t have severe texture issues because so much food smells delicious :(

you could chuck it into a blender until it's just a delicious slurry

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Foo Diddley posted:

you could chuck it into a blender until it's just a delicious slurry

:barf:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hairy bacon is horrible boiled lumps of salted bacon that have been so casually prepared that they are still loving hairy. The outer skin is literally still covered in hair.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pope Corky the IX posted:

People in my family used to tell me to lighten up about the poo poo my father would say to my ex-wife, and that it was nothing to worry about.

He waited less than a month after our separation to ask her out on a date.

but did he get head?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

run on sentience posted:

More like neophobia. One of the axes of personality is neophobic/neotropic (sue me, I forget the psychological terms). Some people's reaction to new things is "Weird! I have to try it!" and some people's reaction is "Why would I try that, it's not what I'm used to."

I had a college housemate who said, in tones of horror, "Plums? We never ate plums." She wasn't being racist, she just didn't want to eat things her mother hadn't cooked. Her mother, btw, had one meal she cooked for each day of the week, every week. Housemate used to make Teen Bean Bake regularly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Housemate used to make Teen Bean Bake regularly.

Oh barf.

quote:

3/4 cup ketchup (Hunts)

....for when any other brand just doesn't have enough sugar for your recipe.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not giving my sister's best friend a gift for her wedding

quote:

My sister's best friend got married last week. My fiancé and I have attended many weddings of our loved ones this summer and we still have some upcoming ones. Due to the fact that we have to attend around 10 weddings total we obviously can't afford gifts and expenses for every single one of them so we prioritise the people we are closer to.

My sister's best friend is not somebody we are close to at all. We have a good typical relationship with her but we barely even see her once or twice a year and even then it's on my sister's bday or at some random party/Event. She had invited us to her wedding and my sis was a MOH there but we simply couldn't afford it so we rsvp'd no. When you skip a wedding, unless you're very close to the couple and you're skipping for serious reasons, you're not obliged to send a gift. If you are more close to the couple and you skip the wedding for any reason you just send a gift only because of the tight relationship you might have. In that case we didn't even know the groom and we barely see the bride in our lives.

Two days ago my sister texted me that she'd like to visit us that afternoon. I said of course. When she arrived her best friend was with her. I was shocked as I was not warned and her best friend has never visited my house. I knew something was up but I waited to see.

After couple random convos, the best friend mentioned that my sister brought her to my house so I can give her her gift. Which would be money (very common to give money as a gift and most couples prefer it). I was shocked because I was not warned and I didn't plan to give a gift at all. I was so taken aback and I simply said "what?". My sister repeated that I'm supposed to give money to her friend as a gift. I then explained honestly that the reason I skipped the wedding was financial because I can't afford to get that many gifts for all the weddings I have to attend so I'm skipping the ones who I'm not as close to. I was open and honest. I said I don't have nor do I plan to have a monetary gift or a gift at all. I simply can't afford it.

The friend was uncomfortable but also offended because she expected a gift from me and my sister got mad and keeps calling me tacky and disrespectful for what I did and said I am obligated to give a gift to her best friend because she's her best friend and invited us and whether we attended or not it would be the right thing to do. I told her I don't remember her sending gifts to weddings she doesn't attend so why do I have to. She said because its her best friend and its the principle and that I was disrespectful for this. I don't think I am TA but I want an unbiased view on this. AITA?

"you're tacky", i say, as i demand a cash payment for a wedding you didn't attend

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for not giving my sister's best friend a gift for her wedding

"you're tacky", i say, as i demand a cash payment for a wedding you didn't attend

Man, weddings generate an insane amount of really dumb drama, jesus christ. How do they know enough people for TEN loving weddings in one summer?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mustang posted:

Man, weddings generate an insane amount of really dumb drama, jesus christ. How do they know enough people for TEN loving weddings in one summer?

if they're the right age and everyone in their social circle was waiting until they could pretend that covid was over, it doesn't seem too far fetched

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If your sister is the MOH and you're invited a small token gift would probably be a good idea, not doing so is low-grade rude at worst. Asking specifically for cash is a little more rude, showing up at someone's house and demanding a gift is super duper rude.

edit I wonder if bringing the bride over and the expectation of a gift was entirely the sister's doing, like she said "of course she meant to give you a gift she was going to give cash, here just come over and she'd be happy to give you cash" and just expected the OP to know that was what was going on

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mustang posted:

In fairness, there has been a pandemic. Wedding venues are loving booked solid for this year and next year.

(covid isn't over but since everyone else is pretending it is you kinda gotta go with it)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

Oh barf.

Imagine that it's showing up on the supper table once every other week, at least. (We took turns making dinner.)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mustang posted:

Catholics

My friend’s family is Catholic, by like his mid-30s he had been to over forty weddings for his cousins

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Motronic posted:

Oh barf.

Also the nearly 1 full cup of brown sugar as well.

That recipe requires them to sift flour, beat an egg, and chop an onion. If they can do that then they're actually capable of cooking and could branch out with significant ease compared to most inexperience home cooks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

pentyne posted:

Also the nearly 1 full cup of brown sugar as well.

That recipe requires them to sift flour, beat an egg, and chop an onion. If they can do that then they're actually capable of cooking and could branch out with significant ease compared to most inexperience home cooks.
I repeat, this was a woman who refused to try plums.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

If your sister is the MOH and you're invited a small token gift would probably be a good idea, not doing so is low-grade rude at worst. Asking specifically for cash is a little more rude, showing up at someone's house and demanding a gift is super duper rude.

edit I wonder if bringing the bride over and the expectation of a gift was entirely the sister's doing, like she said "of course she meant to give you a gift she was going to give cash, here just come over and she'd be happy to give you cash" and just expected the OP to know that was what was going on

yeah it's like iffy, it might have been nice to send a card at least, but coming over and demanding some cash def flips it back the other way

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Hawkperson posted:

yeah it's like iffy, it might have been nice to send a card at least, but coming over and demanding some cash def flips it back the other way

Eh it's largely dependent on the relationship between the op and the friend, which here sounds pretty nonexistant, and the relationship between the op and the sister

If they aren't close, who cares if their best friend is getting married. If they are close, then yeah, maybe a small token gift or a card at the most.

In this case I think op was not at all an rear end in a top hat for declining the invitation and not buying a gift.

I'm not at all close with my brother and if I declined a wedding invite from his best friend I'd say no and not feel bad at all for not buying a gift either.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for getting mad at my husband for choosing the “Fantasy Football Draft” over me?

quote:

A little of back history, I (31f) not to long ago had an accident to kept me at home over 8m by the end of that time I was spending my weekends hiking and doing little adventures with my husband (38m). At the 8m mark I was available to go back to work and start working weekends so not more fun for us at the moment.

The issue: Yesterday night my boss asked me to cover a shift in exchange I requested to have the weekend off (keeping on mind my husband doesn’t like my job and he always complain about i don’t have weekends off for us). It got approved. I told my husband to have ready some adventure for us for that weekend, he told me “That’s nice but I have the ff draft with the boys and he can’t skip that date” I was taken by surprise and kind upset. He kind started blaming me for request that specific weekend off when I knew it was the draft (for me was mid August). It got me more upset bc honestly I never have issue with him going out with the boys or anything relative to sport. So as a very passive aggressive person I just told him “I will find something to do by myself that specific weekend”.

Now he’s mad at me bc he said I’m trying to guilt tripping him and making him feel bad because I will be alone, but at the same time im mad because he complains all the time I don’t have more time with him. So aita?

AITA for telling my girlfriend that women shouldn't bulk?

quote:

I'm into bodybuilding and very knowledgeable about it. My girlfriend is also interested in lifting weights and said she wants to start and also bulk up. I told her this is a terrible idea. First of all as she is, cute, petite, innocent and childlike, she's much more attractive to me.

Secondly women can't and shouldn't bulk. Bulking only works for men because we gain muscle easily. When women bulk they almost only gain fat. When women lose the weight again they'll also lose the little muscle they gain before. Therefore women should only lift weights to stay a bit fit at most but not to gain muscle and also not bulk.

My girlfriend didn't like my reply and is not believing me. She even claims i should support her wanting to gain muscle and bulk. I'm only trying to discourage her because it doesn't work and is a bad idea. Aita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty creepy way to describe your girlfriend, but he's technically correct that it's nearly impossible for women to gain bulky muscle the same way men do without really specific and strenuous bodybuilding routines (and steroids). Probably would have been better to treat her like an adult rather than a child, but judging by the way he describes her I guess maybe that's how he thinks of her lol