Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's popular and all the child torture stuff doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary to anyone in hollywood. why wouldn't they go for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

you couldn't even try to pass it off as 'Lord of the Flies meets Annihilation'

Blue Lagoon meets 127 Hours

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

An anime adaptation of Annihilation would probably be cool

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

i love the idea of someone unironically having to pitch this poo poo to a hollywood studio exec

"okay so then the little girl character is in so much pain she pisses herself"

just :stare: all around the boardroom

I don't think the pitch got that into the details.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Annihilation was just cool in general

More exploring wrong places media

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I like old Eva but I really hate that the new movies made asuka a permanent child just to satisfy perverts and she hooks up with a grown man

Then you have that new girl who is just there for the fans who aren't into kids
Then she reveals she's even older than she appears and hooks up with a kid

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I want to gently caress the mom robots

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's popular and all the child torture stuff doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary to anyone in hollywood. why wouldn't they go for it?
Wont help allay the adrenochrome conspiracy theories

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

tokin opposition posted:

I want to gently caress the mom robots

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

I like old Eva but I really hate that the new movies made asuka a permanent child just to satisfy perverts and she hooks up with a grown man

shinji is anno's self insert the rebuilds are even more explicitly about his experiences than the original eva mari is based off his wife

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I can’t believe anno married best girl

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

i love the idea of someone unironically having to pitch this poo poo to a hollywood studio exec

"okay so then the little girl character is in so much pain she pisses herself"

just :stare: all around the boardroom

hollywood producers? I’d believe they all got excited and wondered if Polanski could come back to america to direct it more than that

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

I mean, the main theme of the movies is for people to let go of their childhood obsessions. They're not randomly stuck looking like they did 25 years ago, they are thematically stuck looking like they did 25 years ago.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Mari never is implied to be with Shinji until the conclusion part when the timeline has clearly been broken and Shinji’s an adult.

Asuka’s relationship in Rebuild with the one guy didn’t read as sexual or romantic with me. And the whole bit about not being able to grow up was treated as a horrible thing that was done to the pilots (and what the ending freed them from). None of that feels like a detail thrown in for the perverts as much as a negative comment on them.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asuka & Rei never grow up in the movies because they're clones. Asuka Langley Soryu is still hanging out on the beach in the world that Shinji destroyed in End of Eva, which is why you see her outgrowing the plug suit towards the end. But that's still too literal of a reading - Rei & Asuka can't grow up because they're not allowed to. Eva was stuck for ages in a suspended state where the story was constantly being retold in different media formats to make money, but never allowed to reach an actual conclusion. The Rebuild Movies are Evangelion commenting on itself, and you're going to misread them by watching them straight instead of being aware of the vast extent of Eva as a franchise. The entire theme is about being trapped in suspended adolescence and learning how to grow up.

Mari being close friends with Shinji's parents isn't supposed to be taken literally either. Mari was originally a side character introduced in a manga spinoff before they reworked her for the movies. It's not at all clear that the adult Mari we see in the movies is even from the Rebuild timeline, because Gendo could be recalling memories from outside of the Rebuilds.

An interesting tidbit I found out while doing the bare minimum research is that Evangelion was always a metatextual multimedia franchise from its inception. The original Evangelion manga ends up diverging from the tv show into doing its own thing, but the manga also started publishing before the tv show aired as a tie-in. So from the beginning Evangelion was retelling its own story.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Jul 23, 2022

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There is a manga that takes place in the School Anime setting shown in the last episode of the show, which I've been endlessly fascinated by the concept of since I found out about it, since its like the merchandising of the franchise belongs to a reality where that was what the main version of the story.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the rebuild making of features can get pretty savage. the staff all complain about what a pain in the rear end it is to deal with Anno’s perfectionism & indecisiveness. then the thing they’re most impressed with is how he’s finally turned into an adult at age 60.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Anno made a whole four movie finale just so he could get the just word in that his wife has great tits.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Shiroc posted:

There is a manga that takes place in the School Anime setting shown in the last episode of the show, which I've been endlessly fascinated by the concept of since I found out about it, since its like the merchandising of the franchise belongs to a reality where that was what the main version of the story.

it's not good, it's just a pretty mediocre harem romcom manga with occasional panty shots where the only interesting thing is that since it essentially follows the 1 asuka focused chapter/1 rei focused chapter pattern over and over you only need to read one half of it if you're set on who is best girl. Literally read one chapter at random to see what it is about then use your intuition to imagine the rest, it will save you time and money.

Seriously though the evangelion AU mangas are weird, like there is one where they are at a gamer high school training up on how to play video games. And one that is supposedly like a battle shounen? and also one that is a murder mystery with yaoi elements? I don't loving know man it's hosed up.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

January 6 Survivor posted:

it's not good, it's just a pretty mediocre harem romcom manga with occasional panty shots where the only interesting thing is that since it essentially follows the 1 asuka focused chapter/1 rei focused chapter pattern over and over you only need to read one half of it if you're set on who is best girl. Literally read one chapter at random to see what it is about then use your intuition to imagine the rest, it will save you time and money.

Seriously though the evangelion AU mangas are weird, like there is one where they are at a gamer high school training up on how to play video games. And one that is supposedly like a battle shounen? and also one that is a murder mystery with yaoi elements? I don't loving know man it's hosed up.

Huh, that fits. I wasn’t actually interested in reading it. It is just fascinating that there all of these versions that strip out the core of the themes of the main story.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
I mean maybe it turns out to be amazing past the first volume, I just never read farther than that lmao

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are several "what if Eva was a romcom" manga, one of them is alright and the other one is like 15 volumes long and is basically a million chapters of Shinji falling onto boobs. Also Asuka is homophobic in it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Was it even released in English? The Eva wiki said that eventually the Evas did play into the story and it sounded like the main continuity slowly crashing into it but it wasn’t very detailed.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

all the child torture stuff doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary to anyone in hollywood.

:thunk:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

net work error posted:

An anime adaptation of Annihilation would probably be cool

it's funny cuz there's literally a monster in MiA that does does the exact same thing as the ManBearPig monster in Annihilation

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HootTheOwl posted:

Anno made a whole four movie finale just so he could get the just word in that his wife has great tits.

just like Rob Zombie, bragging about your hot wife is the mark of a great director

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Paul W. S. Anderson has built a massive career off how he loves his wife and thinks she’s hot. It’s a good job if you can get it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Srice posted:

Also Asuka is homophobic in it.

shes always been that way

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Can't believe they're doing a sequel to Penguindrum. I don't want it!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't remember much about Penguindrum but I thought it was pretty well wrapped up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

net work error posted:

Can't believe they're doing a sequel to Penguindrum. I don't want it!

I thought it was just a movie compilation

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1408489833329303557?t=WpBLl4HHS-oAilKt5Dkq_Q&s=19

WELL goons whaddya think about that huh?!1!1. You gonna call literally all of Hollywood weird sex perverts?!?!1!1:smuggo:

boy they are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel in terms of film adaptable IP huh:v:
the character designs look like that and people are suprised it's actually creepy?

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

War and Pieces posted:

the character designs look like that and people are suprised it's actually creepy?

dude, Kevin McMullin didn't chose to be born and look like this what the gently caress

edit : oh you mean the picture on the right

January 6 Survivor has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Jul 24, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The fact they all look like Precious Moments figurines is, I think, intentional. I'm maybe a day's trip away from the Precious Moments temple in Carthage, Missouri.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The fact they all look like Precious Moments figurines is, I think, intentional. I'm maybe a day's trip away from the Precious Moments temple in Carthage, Missouri.

poo poo i think I have vague childhood memories of a road trip there. Googling it, I recognized the mural of heaven

NotPerfect
Sep 29, 2021

Shiroc posted:

Was it even released in English? The Eva wiki said that eventually the Evas did play into the story and it sounded like the main continuity slowly crashing into it but it wasn’t very detailed.

It was, and was published by Dark Horse.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

So MAPPA is pretty great with their animation most of the time. But when they cut corners and phone it in its beautifully awful lol

Hope chainsaw man is good

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

which anime characters smoke weed blunts GO

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/0S4rULS.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Very few of them. Mainly villains. The first character to pop into my head is the dreadlocks rear end in a top hat from Eyeshield 21