Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
My prediction is that that movie will be fine, baseline competent in a way that hollywood films increasingly aren't, and have an absolutely soul rending ending that absolutely deserved to be in a better movie. That's been my experience with South Korean action films.

gently caress, page snipe. Sorry friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Snowman_McK posted:

My prediction is that that movie will be fine, baseline competent in a way that hollywood films increasingly aren't, and have an absolutely soul rending ending that absolutely deserved to be in a better movie. That's been my experience with South Korean action films.

gently caress, page snipe. Sorry friends.

Sounds like I'm gonna love it!

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I caught The Gray Man on Netflix last night and woof, that's a miss. I'm thinking the Russo bros were talking about streaming and how cinemas are elitist because they kinda knew if this was a traditional theatrical release it would sink without a trace. It's basically a subpar Bourne film, with bad imitation Michael Bay action.

Best thing about the film is the cast, Chris Evans clearly just said gently caress it and went for it, but the action scenes are poor, the only exceptions being the two fight scenes with Dhanush's character. The plane crash and the tram scene could have been done well by better filmmakers, but they are extremely badly filmed here, camera too close and too much movement. It's like they studied Michael Bay's filmmaking and decided to do that, but to be honest, without any of Bay's skill or energy. They even do drone shots here like the ones in AmbuLAnce, but they just pale in comparison. It's just really hard for action this pedestrian to get a pass in the same year we all saw Top Gun: Maverick.

And the story doesn't even pretend to end, just trying to set up sequels I guess, the movie basically just stops rather than climaxing. Hard pass.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27EF723ZDmI

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i remember when john wick 3 released in theaters. i was excited to see it, and wanted to hype myself up more by rewatching 1 + 2 before. what an absolute mistake that was bc by the time i was 1/4 into 2 i already had way too much point blank gunshots to the chest and face. maybe now that it's been a few years i might care to see 4 when it drops.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Gray Man is real bad and seemingly confirms that the Russos and/or Markus/McFeely are responsible for the non-stop quips in the Marvel movies. Gosling might not have a sincere line in the entire movie. Evans definitely doesn't. It's also a big point in favor of Marvel's previs team cause the action is awful.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 23, 2022

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Looks fantastic! 2 is the only “weak” film out of the 3 but it’s still got some great set pieces.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I do appreciate that every new John Wick trailer onboards the action gimmicks that will be added to the franchise. We now have swordfights and bow murder to look forward to!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Watched the action scenes of The Grey Man and was underwhelmed. I guess swooping drone shots are going to be the next overused-to-the-point-of-irritation gimmick after strobing shutter/bullet time/shaky-cam/17-cuts-per-event to cover unexciting choreography.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Disappointed that the big trailer sell for the next John Wick is another fight in a neon lit room of glass (the climax of the last two films). Hopefully they have more up their sleeve for the actual movie.

Also, Gray Man is bad in all the ways 6 Underground (Netflix's last attempt at a 100+ million bux action movie) is bad but much much worse.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

garycoleisgod posted:

I caught The Gray Man on Netflix last night and woof, that's a miss. I'm thinking the Russo bros were talking about streaming and how cinemas are elitist because they kinda knew if this was a traditional theatrical release it would sink without a trace. It's basically a subpar Bourne film, with bad imitation Michael Bay action.

Best thing about the film is the cast, Chris Evans clearly just said gently caress it and went for it, but the action scenes are poor, the only exceptions being the two fight scenes with Dhanush's character. The plane crash and the tram scene could have been done well by better filmmakers, but they are extremely badly filmed here, camera too close and too much movement. It's like they studied Michael Bay's filmmaking and decided to do that, but to be honest, without any of Bay's skill or energy. They even do drone shots here like the ones in AmbuLAnce, but they just pale in comparison. It's just really hard for action this pedestrian to get a pass in the same year we all saw Top Gun: Maverick.

And the story doesn't even pretend to end, just trying to set up sequels I guess, the movie basically just stops rather than climaxing. Hard pass.

I was gonna say Top Gun Maverick is the best action movie I've seen this year. And you know what the secret is? I never knew who or if anyone was gonna die! That never happens in a movie.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Payndz posted:

Watched the action scenes of The Grey Man and was underwhelmed. I guess swooping drone shots are going to be the next overused-to-the-point-of-irritation gimmick after strobing shutter/bullet time/shaky-cam/17-cuts-per-event to cover unexciting choreography.

I watched the new resident evil series and the second to last/last episode used drones in a cool way.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

I was gonna say Top Gun Maverick is the best action movie I've seen this year. And you know what the secret is? I never knew who or if anyone was gonna die! That never happens in a movie.
Top Gun is amazing and this is one of the reasons too, I remember thinking that it would be unlikely, but not inconceivable for Maverick to bite it and "pass on" the torch of an rear end in a top hat hotshot pilot.

High Warlord Zog posted:

Disappointed that the big trailer sell for the next John Wick is another fight in a neon lit room of glass (the climax of the last two films). Hopefully they have more up their sleeve for the actual movie.

Also, Gray Man is bad in all the ways 6 Underground (Netflix's last attempt at a 100+ million bux action movie) is bad but much much worse.
Yeah but I'm gonna watch the poo poo out of it anyway. It would be 4 years since the last one so even if it's a shot by shot remake, I'd be all for it.

Haven't seen the Gray Man but it's interesting that it's at 50% critic and 90% audience score on RT. Wonder what's up with that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I was going to mock The Grey Man's ludicrously OTT "US intelligence will happily send small armies of heavily-armed agents to engage in open warfare on the streets of an allied nation and slaughter cops and civilians just to get one guy", but then I checked the Amazon reviews of the book it's based on and apparently it's exactly as ridiculous, so :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
No surprise with the Russo Bros but The Gray Man suffers from the same thing as every Netflix action movie and also most blockbusters these days in general, which is the overuse of greenscreen. It feels like every other scene is just actors floating around in front of a full greenscreened setting and it just makes it impossible to get immersed in a movie.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

mobby_6kl posted:

Haven't seen the Gray Man but it's interesting that it's at 50% critic and 90% audience score on RT. Wonder what's up with that.

captain america and mr mold your personality after shoot guns and go boom. average movie watcher happy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you're disappointed in The Grey Man's green screen nonsense I must once again recommend Hulu's The Princess, in which the lead actresses and the stuntmen clearly busted their collective asses to give you fun and exciting action scenes. It doesn't have the budget and sometimes overreaches but at least it's trying hard.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also John Wick 4, they better do something on this one 'cuz I'm ready to tap out of the franchise. Quite simply Gangs of London did it better in every way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Y’all fair weather wickers.

:blastback:John wick ride or die mother Fuckers :blaster:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's strange how John Wick 3 is the only one in a series of four with a subtitle.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

live with fruit posted:

It's strange how John Wick 3 is the only one in a series of four with a subtitle.

They also weirdly seem to be advertising John Wick 4 as just John Wick

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They might not have a title yet

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The John Wick

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

John Wick$

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I never really got into John Wick and i just really cant express what doesnt click...i saw the first one, liked it okay, think i watched one other sequel, but for some reason they all pass thru me leaving no memory. Compared to say, Collateral, which I cherish and remember well.
I know it's a premier action franchise tho and I do sometimes look up some of the sequel fights and think "that looks cool but im still not watching this movie". Dunno what it is, I'll just force myself at some point.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
3 is the only one I think is really excellent though the first two are kind of charming and Keanu is great

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Speaking of Netflix, I recently watched Extraction, which was so-so but I was quite struck by the twelve-minute one-shot action scene.

Which isn’t really done in a single take of course. But it was done cleverly enough to make me rewind and watch the whole thing like 3x in a row. It goes from car chase with the camera inside and immediately outside the protagonist’s car, to shootout/hand-to-hand to falling off balconies and ending in a car again.

Did anyone else see this? I thought it was a nice effort to do something different in an action film. I can’t find the whole twelve minute clip on YouTube but there are a couple of videos about how they did it. This one shows much of it, spoilers obviously

https://youtu.be/arJ8ojvmoUg

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Rewatching the big action centrepiece of Grey Man (the square shootout and tram chase), I realised why it didn't work for me - it was like a late 80s/early 90s big OTT actioner, the kind of movie that Last Action Hero satirised where every vehicle has a pop-up minigun inside and legions of faceless goons will mow down everyone but the hero, done with 2020s slatherings of CG, 'we can put the camera anywhere moving as fast as we want' cinematography and Bay-style machinegun editing. So it was one layer of unreality on top of another, and it made it impossible to connect to.

Hell, at least a 90s movie would have had squibs and bloodpacks in its 15 rating, but all the supposed carnage here was sterile and impactless. Gosling gets a riot shield at one point which takes dozens of rounds, but it might as well be being hit by spitballs. No dents, no hefty CLONK-CLONK-CLONK sound effects, just puffs of CGI smoke. At no point did I ever think "gee, this guy is in danger!" because there was zero weight behind anything supposedly threatening him.

Also trams in this universe don't have dead-man switches and can go 90mph. :laffo:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

MrMojok posted:

Speaking of Netflix, I recently watched Extraction, which was so-so but I was quite struck by the twelve-minute one-shot action scene.

https://youtu.be/arJ8ojvmoUg

I seen to have a much higher opinion of this movie than most, I really enjoyed it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Payndz posted:

Rewatching the big action centrepiece of Grey Man (the square shootout and tram chase), I realised why it didn't work for me - it was like a late 80s/early 90s big OTT actioner, the kind of movie that Last Action Hero satirised where every vehicle has a pop-up minigun inside and legions of faceless goons will mow down everyone but the hero, done with 2020s slatherings of CG, 'we can put the camera anywhere moving as fast as we want' cinematography and Bay-style machinegun editing. So it was one layer of unreality on top of another, and it made it impossible to connect to.

Hell, at least a 90s movie would have had squibs and bloodpacks in its 15 rating, but all the supposed carnage here was sterile and impactless. Gosling gets a riot shield at one point which takes dozens of rounds, but it might as well be being hit by spitballs. No dents, no hefty CLONK-CLONK-CLONK sound effects, just puffs of CGI smoke. At no point did I ever think "gee, this guy is in danger!" because there was zero weight behind anything supposedly threatening him.

Also trams in this universe don't have dead-man switches and can go 90mph. :laffo:

It's almost like a crappy remake of The Winter Soldier except that movie has an in-universe explanation for why its lead can survive what he survives.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

dokmo posted:

I seen to have a much higher opinion of this movie than most, I really enjoyed it.

I liked it a lot, I thought the action was well done and the gunplay had a nice balance between "realistic" and a more "movie friendly" (not sure if I am describing this right) style.

Which I kind of think is one of the issues people have with John Wick, before the first one was released they really made it a point to showcase how Keanu trained with real firearms and how actually skilled he was with them and I think that kind of set it in people's minds that the movies were going to be a little more realistic than they ended up being.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

B-Rock452 posted:

the gunplay had a nice balance between "realistic" and a more "movie friendly" (not sure if I am describing this right) style.

Yeah, I think this is a good way to put it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I never really got into John Wick and i just really cant express what doesnt click...i saw the first one, liked it okay, think i watched one other sequel, but for some reason they all pass thru me leaving no memory. Compared to say, Collateral, which I cherish and remember well.
I know it's a premier action franchise tho and I do sometimes look up some of the sequel fights and think "that looks cool but im still not watching this movie". Dunno what it is, I'll just force myself at some point.

I dont even think of Collateral as a an action movie really. Thriller yeah but I wouldn't consider it in the same genre as Wick

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I thought the Gray man was a lower tier but still pretty decent action movie. I mean it was clearly modeled after Bourne but Gosling and Evil captain America made it work.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Shageletic posted:

I dont even think of Collateral as a an action movie really. Thriller yeah but I wouldn't consider it in the same genre as Wick
Yeah, I wouldnt either. I'm just associating movies with cool nightclub shootouts. It's a film of substance + action.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also John Wick 4, they better do something on this one 'cuz I'm ready to tap out of the franchise. Quite simply Gangs of London did it better in every way.

That's a very odd comparison. I sort of see the superficial resemblance, but Gangs, like the Raid films, veer much more towards "Action as horror movie violence" They're loving great, but they're going for something very different.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought The Gray Man was alright? I mean I didn't hate it but also I like quippy action movies and I thought this was good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I thought The Gray Man was alright? I mean I didn't hate it but also I like quippy action movies and I thought this was good.

I didn't hate it but I thought it was a little too long and really didn't need two mentor sacrifices.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Extraction is a great little action movie and the balcony scene is slick af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Extraction isn't quite as good as the films (well, film, really) that it's imitating but it's at least a pretty good impression.

The Gray Man is just inept. It's got the disease of every camera shot needing movement without that movement ever serving a purpose. The drone shots are the most egregious example but the whole thing has this need to shoot from weird angles or have the camera orbit the subject for no real reason. Whoever described it as a clumsy imitation of Michael Bay was spot on. The action scenes are also just structureless. I know it's really hard to do big action scenes where there's lots of moving pieces in a large area, but I doubt it's as hard as the street shootout made it look. At any given point, it's more or less impossible to know where anyone is or what the space even looks like. The tram that leads into the next scene is 'set up' with one context free shot of its windows exploding in on its passengers. It then vanishes for two minutes until Gosling needs it to escape. The less said about the subsequent chase the better but holy poo poo some of that CGI.

It's a shame since everyone involved is absolutely capable of better. Even the Russos are capable of listening to their stunt coordinators and second unit directors better than they do here. They clearly had the resources to do better, an excellent stunt team and a cast willing to put the work in, but a huge number of very clumsy decisions leaves every scene a shell of what it could have been.