Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It's been a couple years since I messed with Skyrim, but started playing again, am now thinking about getting anniversary edition, which means re-modding because it's loving Skyrim so of course.

But like I said, it's been a couple years. My computer skill level is complete amateur computer user who fixes world-shattering problems like "the internet is gone" for the fam and friends because I know the difference between a browser and The Internet, know what a "program" is, the difference between a folder and a file, how to google for answers, etc. Can follow instructions well, when they are well written.

In the past, I set myself up with SKSE, ModOrgainzer, all the associated stuff, with the use of good guides. I even wrestled with the DynDOLOD angel and won. But like I said, it's been a couple years. (I'm currently playing un-updated SSE with my old mod list since I never un-installed anything, just didn't play for awhile.)

What's the go-to really good, well written, current guide to (re-)start modding Skyrim these days? I prefer any written guide to watching a bunch of videos, and I don't wanna Wabbajack or anything where you're really just expected to use someone else's curated mod list. I'd rather pick and choose every little thing, even though it takes longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I still can't get over what a needy, co-dependant, petulant program DynDOLOD is. It does amazing work when it works, but if it doesn't like one tiny error in one plugin that doesn't even have a drat thing to do with LODs most of the time, it throws a screeching shitfit and refuses to do anything.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

nine-gear crow posted:

I still can't get over what a needy, co-dependant, petulant program DynDOLOD is. It does amazing work when it works, but if it doesn't like one tiny error in one plugin that doesn't even have a drat thing to do with LODs most of the time, it throws a screeching shitfit and refuses to do anything.

It's definitely one of those things where after you set it up, even if you get it all to work, you think "well let's never do that again"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pontificating rear end posted:

It's definitely one of those things where after you set it up, even if you get it all to work, you think "well let's never do that again"

It's the weirdest thing, because Sesshon is a real chill and cool dude who's super helpful on the STEP forums, yet DynDOLOD somehow manages to have a personality that makes loving Arthmoor look like Mr. Rogers in comparison.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

While I appreciate a lot of what DynDoLOD and similar programs do, I feel like they have an unfortunate tendency to ruin the illusion of scale that Bethesda spent a lot of time working on, particularly in regards to the mountains. Like they're designed to look vastly bigger than they are, but when you can see the staircase of High Hrothgar from the plains of Whiterun, that doesn't really work. Then you've got the secret Blades base in the Reach, which is supposed to be hidden in the clouds, but with modded LODs you can see it right up close by just wandering one of the hold's main roads. It feels like it might be a good idea to exclude certain assets from the LOD-generation process.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

This helps to make stuff in the distance feel like is further apart.

Volumatric mists:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/29273?tab=description

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ThaumPenguin posted:

While I appreciate a lot of what DynDoLOD and similar programs do, I feel like they have an unfortunate tendency to ruin the illusion of scale that Bethesda spent a lot of time working on, particularly in regards to the mountains. Like they're designed to look vastly bigger than they are, but when you can see the staircase of High Hrothgar from the plains of Whiterun, that doesn't really work. Then you've got the secret Blades base in the Reach, which is supposed to be hidden in the clouds, but with modded LODs you can see it right up close by just wandering one of the hold's main roads. It feels like it might be a good idea to exclude certain assets from the LOD-generation process.

Yes. For me it was being able to tell at a distance that a mountain was only like ten times taller than one of the trees on it. Like that's just a hill, it doesn't need a snowline.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Midig posted:

This helps to make stuff in the distance feel like is further apart.

Volumatric mists:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/29273?tab=description

I would add the Simply Bigger Trees mod, that helps a lot too.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Been playing the Elysium mod list now that I have a 3080. Can't believe how good this game can look.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

I would add the Simply Bigger Trees mod, that helps a lot too.

And make sure to grab the moss fix here: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/42649

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

The mods that change the Reach trees invariably ignore the moss. I don't get it.... you changed the Reach tree mesh, did you not play the game and see all the floating moss? I had this problem with Nature of the Wild Lands, which is gorgeous, but floating moss all over the Reach. Dang it

I'm fooling around with modding, and I was wondering if there was any basic guides to creating new scars? Bound to be a whole bunch of things you could learn, creating and implementing a new scar

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Moreau posted:

I'm fooling around with modding, and I was wondering if there was any basic guides to creating new scars? Bound to be a whole bunch of things you could learn, creating and implementing a new scar

Scars should be easy enough for an early mod. I don't know about adding them to the base character editing options, but it's easy to do with mods. Check out Racemenu if you're unfamiliar with it. Outside of adding more sliders and stuff for character customization, it also supports graphical overlays - tattoos, scars, etc.

Creating a new mod with your custom overlays is a pretty simple process as well - it just takes a simple esp file, with a small amount of scripting and image work. Here's a guide I messed around with that walked through the process: http://winkingskeever.com/how-to-create-new-body-paints-and-overlays-for-racemenu-part-1/

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
My buddies and I tried out Skyrim Together Reborn tonight along with some extra mods and it worked surprisingly well. Especially since on of my friends didn't actually activate half of his mods. I had some glitches where npcs would just be naked for no reason and SkyUI was a little weird but overall, fun time.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone made a mod to fix the chopping block outside the Bannered Mare? Every time I use it, I notice my character is sinking ankle deep in the turf.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Scars should be easy enough for an early mod. I don't know about adding them to the base character editing options, but it's easy to do with mods. Check out Racemenu if you're unfamiliar with it. Outside of adding more sliders and stuff for character customization, it also supports graphical overlays - tattoos, scars, etc.

Creating a new mod with your custom overlays is a pretty simple process as well - it just takes a simple esp file, with a small amount of scripting and image work. Here's a guide I messed around with that walked through the process: http://winkingskeever.com/how-to-create-new-body-paints-and-overlays-for-racemenu-part-1/

Thanks for the link, I'm looking forward to playing around with this, this weekend. One of the frustrating things about attempting to mod Skyrim is the lack of decent, easily located documentation. Or maybe I just haven't found the super-obvious central website/discord that hosts all the Skyrim modders and guides. Well, I have fun playing around with things anyway, so Ill slowly and surely figure it out.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Filox posted:

Has anyone made a mod to fix the chopping block outside the Bannered Mare? Every time I use it, I notice my character is sinking ankle deep in the turf.

that's such a low stakes fix compared to turning into a chair so Lydia can sit on you :laffo:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

that's such a low stakes fix compared to turning into a chair so Lydia can sit on you :laffo:

So uh... is this actually real?

And does it work in VR?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Okay I know I said I am sworn to carry your burdens but gently caress this, you can figure this one out by yourself.

Your follower has left your service.

...is someone there?

Never should've come here...

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rainbow Knight posted:

I don't really care, I was just watching the sinking action and got curious.

What I really want is the mod that makes Lydia explode (and never come back) the second you meet her.

There's probably a Lydia replacer, I ought to look into that.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

What are some good mod lists for completely overhauling Skyrim everything from gameplay to graphics to UI? I see Septimus recommended a lot over the last few pages but it seems to be vanilla plus and I want the opposite. I also saw Wildlands which seems similar except with a gritty survival focus and I'd rather something looser. I don't think my 2080 is good enough for Elysium.

I really liked the vortex collection called Constellations which overhauls the combat to an incredible degree. I've always preferred first person but third person actually feels pretty great and even does things like animation lock your movement so it feels mildly Souls-y. This wasn't anywhere near possible the last time I looked at Skyrim modding years ago so I'm really impressed. My two big problems are that its progression is still fairly vanilla. It's still skill use and I'd rather xp and level ups like I've seen in some mods. It also doesn't add that many perks and I'd like some crazy build variety over stock. I'd try to change that myself but 'collections' seem way more temperamental than the wabbajack MO2 installs. Just trying to add in an ultrawide UI mod somehow completely borked everything and I had to kill my Skyrim install and reinstall the collection to get it back and escape the hell of vortex error messages. I'd rather stick with wabbajack.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the Requiem base or the tweaks the collection made but the difficulty is spiky as gently caress. I like the idea of the Requiem mod, but the first character I created started somewhere that had an enemy outside its door that one shot him every single time I opened the door. No chance to do anything just dead so stuck without god mode. The second got a little further but eventually a thief would always show up that'd run me down and one shot me. This was on the easiest difficulty even.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

What are some good mod lists for completely overhauling Skyrim everything from gameplay to graphics to UI? I see Septimus recommended a lot over the last few pages but it seems to be vanilla plus and I want the opposite. I also saw Wildlands which seems similar except with a gritty survival focus and I'd rather something looser. I don't think my 2080 is good enough for Elysium.

I really liked the vortex collection called Constellations which overhauls the combat to an incredible degree. I've always preferred first person but third person actually feels pretty great and even does things like animation lock your movement so it feels mildly Souls-y. This wasn't anywhere near possible the last time I looked at Skyrim modding years ago so I'm really impressed. My two big problems are that its progression is still fairly vanilla. It's still skill use and I'd rather xp and level ups like I've seen in some mods. It also doesn't add that many perks and I'd like some crazy build variety over stock. I'd try to change that myself but 'collections' seem way more temperamental than the wabbajack MO2 installs. Just trying to add in an ultrawide UI mod somehow completely borked everything and I had to kill my Skyrim install and reinstall the collection to get it back and escape the hell of vortex error messages. I'd rather stick with wabbajack.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the Requiem base or the tweaks the collection made but the difficulty is spiky as gently caress. I like the idea of the Requiem mod, but the first character I created started somewhere that had an enemy outside its door that one shot him every single time I opened the door. No chance to do anything just dead so stuck without god mode. The second got a little further but eventually a thief would always show up that'd run me down and one shot me. This was on the easiest difficulty even.

Try Lost Legacy, which just went live like last week. Has perk changes and Experience like you want.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Try Licentia, come to the dark side (you can turn off the stuff that you aren't into).

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Do you guys ever do silly things like playing Skyrim as the Predator

Not saying I do, or not saying I don’t. If I did, and this is entirely theoretical mind you, talking to Jarl Balgruff or walking into the Riverwood Trader and talking to Lucan about it might make for some great screenshots

Another thing that I think you’d have to be crazy to do would be to play the game as Darth Maul and max out Unrelenting Force, Whirlwind Sprint, and Unrelenting Force from the beginning

I have never done these things, because it’s so stupid, why would you?!?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Not saying I do, or not saying I don’t. If I did, and this is entirely theoretical mind you, talking to Jarl Balgruff or walking into the Riverwood Trader and talking to Lucan about it might make for some great screenshots

Another thing that I think you’d have to be crazy to do would be to play the game as Darth Maul and max out Unrelenting Force, Whirlwind Sprint, and Unrelenting Force from the beginning

What sexy furry follower mods do you not have installed? Just as a matter of curiosity.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

What sexy furry follower mods do you not have installed? Just as a matter of curiosity.

I use the Inigo follower mod, and also another one that tells me you're a total oval office in every thread you post in

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

MrMojok posted:

I use the Inigo follower mod, and also another one that tells me you're a total **** in every thread you post in

So you use Brhuce Hammar too?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Ain’t nothing wrong with fun gimmick runs. Might want to check this out for your darth maul character https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/24

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrMojok posted:

I use the Inigo follower mod, and also another one that tells me you're a total oval office in every thread you post in

Well that's a weirdly specific role play mod...

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Well that's a weirdly specific role play mod...

It was originally uploaded to the Nexus as the threadshitter mod, better known today as its SE version, the Killjoy mod

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Just gently caress already

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

Just gently caress already

Eh, it's fine. I get like one random person I've never seen before on SA a year emerging from the mist and swearing posting vengeance on me. It's a very appropriately Skyrim thing.

Anyway, modding. Why do we keep shoving weird poo poo into this broken game that Todd poo poo out a decade ago?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

"alright hand over your posts or I'll gut you like a fish"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, it's fine. I get like one random person I've never seen before on SA a year emerging from the mist and swearing posting vengeance on me. It's a very appropriately Skyrim thing.

Anyway, modding. Why do we keep shoving weird poo poo into this broken game that Todd poo poo out a decade ago?

Because Skyrim has decent but not amazing* base gameplay while being an almost perfect neutral environment to mod into completely different shapes.

*I think a lot of the hate for base Skyrim is contempt borne of familiarity. Playing these games for hundreds of hours will do that.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Arivia posted:

Try Lost Legacy, which just went live like last week. Has perk changes and Experience like you want.

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Try Licentia, come to the dark side (you can turn off the stuff that you aren't into).

Thanks both of these are pretty amazing. Lost Legacy has the same incredible combat animations as the nexus collection. Both look pretty good but also don't run that well (30-40fps outside, 60 inside). I've been tweaking but not sure if I can get it much better at my monitor's native rez (UW 1440p) on a 2080. I think Licentia looks a bit better as it has a more vibrant fantasy look. They have different alternative progression/perk systems but both seem to be good. They both have a ton of quests/additions though LL seems way harder as I get rocked going into random dungeons.

I'm bouncing between them with a melee character on LL playing to its better combat animations and a mage on Licentia. Not sure which I'll stick with but I'm glad wabbajack allows different modlists so easily. I'm really impressed at the state of Skyrim modding compared to when I last played probably 5 or 6 years ago.

I'm shocked at how restrained Licentia is for a modlist that required me to download a mod called dongs of skyrim from a dodgy site. Aside from some jiggle and naked people when you loot there really isn't that much obvious nsfw content so far. Everyone is wearing normal clothes, so it's not wall to wall stripper outfits or anything. I'm sure at some point I'm going to stumble into a fetish dungeon or something but it's about anime level of horny so far.

I've been pretty happy with my 2080 but it's hilarious that Skyrim of all things has me itching to upgrade and checking 3080 prices.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Even my 3080 struggles with Elysium. Some of these city mods bring my PC to its knees lol.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've been spending the last weeks playing Septimus and man I love properly modded Skyrim

Haven't touched a single one of the multiple DLC-sized mods (aside from LOTD) because I still need to do the official DLC, there's just so much stuff

It's nice to be able to just develop my character dynamically, without having to worry about a bolted-on attribute system or anything like that.

By the way, how do people here feel about going "legendary" on a skill, is it worth it? It'd get me loads more perk points overall, but I feel like I'd leave myself pretty vulnerable if I did it with my main skills. Like I rely entirely on Alteration for my armor rating, so if I reset my progression there, wouldn't there be a risk of me becoming a glass cannon? I suppose I'd still have my high tier flesh spells, though I'm not sure I'd be able to cast them consistently with the new requirements.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

I've been spending the last weeks playing Septimus and man I love properly modded Skyrim

Haven't touched a single one of the multiple DLC-sized mods (aside from LOTD) because I still need to do the official DLC, there's just so much stuff

It's nice to be able to just develop my character dynamically, without having to worry about a bolted-on attribute system or anything like that.

By the way, how do people here feel about going "legendary" on a skill, is it worth it? It'd get me loads more perk points overall, but I feel like I'd leave myself pretty vulnerable if I did it with my main skills. Like I rely entirely on Alteration for my armor rating, so if I reset my progression there, wouldn't there be a risk of me becoming a glass cannon? I suppose I'd still have my high tier flesh spells, though I'm not sure I'd be able to cast them consistently with the new requirements.

Septimus changes going legendary in a skill to 40 instead of 15, so you can still cast your high level flesh spells. You should be okay. Also make sure you’re using Ocato’s Recital for your buffs.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Arivia posted:

Septimus changes going legendary in a skill to 40 instead of 15, so you can still cast your high level flesh spells. You should be okay. Also make sure you’re using Ocato’s Recital for your buffs.

Oh wow I'll make sure to go legendary next session, that makes it so much more feasible.

And yeah I've been using Ocato's recital for a good while now, though I'd previously avoided it for a few weeks because I was under the misapprehension that dual-casting improved the intensity of armor/regen/attunement spells rather than just increasing their duration. Could've saved myself a lot of hassle if I'd just double-checked that earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I want to say, I'm sorry. I had a really lovely couple of weeks, and I obviously overreacted. It's no excuse. I shouldn't have said that, and going around on these forums talking to people that way is not what I normally do.

Also sorry to everyone who reads and post in this thread regularly, who are by and large good folks, for making GBS threads up the thread that way.