Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I say lean into the duck billed N95s and paint 'em yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1550162158255751171

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Bidens tested positive.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sure, why not, let's bring polio back. What's the worst that could happen?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Sure, why not, let's bring polio back. What's the worst that could happen?

There already was a spate of polio-like illnesses among children in California before the pandemic kicked off IIRC...

Yeah, 2014.Interesting line...

quote:

“In the past decade, newly identified strains of enterovirus have been linked to polio-like outbreaks among children in Asia and Australia,” he said in a statement. “These five new cases highlight the possibility of an emerging infectious polio-like syndrome in California.”
All of the children affected were vaccinated against polio, and two tested positive for the enterovirus-68, a rare virus known to cause polio-like symptoms. No cause was given for the other three children, the researchers said.
They later found enterovirus-68 and 71 in 70% ofl the affected kids. That last line, oof....

quote:

“Public health education is important, but it’s not enough to prevent AFM,” Bove said. “The virus is too common to avoid. A vaccine is the only way to meaningfully prevent the disease.”

For now, there’s no way to prevent or treat AFM. But if it follows the biennial pattern first established after the 2012 outbreak, AFM cases may spike again next year.

“We’re all holding our breath for 2020,” Schubert said.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Platystemon posted:

You can get a bag of fifty for under twenty bucks shipped.

Different branding, but it’s the same NIOSH approval as the Kimtech product (84A-9042), so it’s the same thing.

Is this the same mask? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NVDFB3R/

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder that Mexico and many other countries that Tuck doesnt like have a higher polio vax rate than some of those rich wine mommy gated communities.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That’s a listing for the same item, yes.

Be wary of counterfeits on Amazon. At this time, that there are no listed third party sellers using Amazon fulfilment, so it’s one of the less sketchy ones, but it’s a perennial problem with Amazon.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Platystemon posted:

That’s a listing for the same item, yes.

Be wary of counterfeits on Amazon. At this time, that there are no listed third party sellers using Amazon fulfilment, so it’s one of the less sketchy ones, but it’s a perennial problem with Amazon.

For sure. Just wanted to say I've purchased from this listing, and it's a great mask. Thank you for linking it for less than a quarter of Amazon price, and thanks to whoever posted the original link.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/WHCOS/status/1550231171816103937?t=S-p5KUADlwjJdhQyXnDvSw&s=19

The official white House message on Rona is we're all gonna get it once a year or more.

They're just so friggin stupid.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/WHCOS/status/1550231171816103937?t=S-p5KUADlwjJdhQyXnDvSw&s=19

The official white House message on Rona is we're all gonna get it once a year or more.

They're just so friggin stupid.

Funny, I've managed to go two and a half years without getting it...

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

jetz0r posted:

My wife and I got back into road cycling this year. So far we have about 700 miles on the bike, with our longest ride being 75 miles. All of those miles have been with Auras on. It's a bit harder to breathe, but I can do max effort sprints, climbing, and long high effort pulls while masked. It does get really swampy in there, and snacks/water can be annoying with waiting to find a section clear of other cyclists. But no COVID, wildfire smoke, or air pollution is nice.

Smoke/pollution, OK. But do you really think you're at risk of contracting COVID while riding a bicycle through the countryside, presumably at some speed?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Fuschia tude posted:

Funny, I've managed to go two and a half years without getting it...

I am currently dealing with COVID for the first time after having successfully avoided it for 2.5+ years. I tested + on Wednesday. My exposure was my nephew....me and my son drove to visit my sister and her kids for a day last weekend and a few hours after we left (on a Sunday) she got a call for her daycare that her son was a COVID close contact. He tested + on Monday, I started feeling like poo poo Tuesday. He had COVID in March already, no one had any symptoms while we visited.

With how contagious and apparently immune evading the new variants are it's going to get a lot harder to avoid. It sucks.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

I got COVID a month ago after avoiding it for 2.5 years even though I wore an N95 100% of the time when I went to work and my only exposure to other people was walking in the hallway to and from my (single person) office. Me and another guy (who also wore N95s) got it on the same day, presumably from an asymptomatic superspreader in our corner of the building. My friend in NY just got it after avoiding it for 2.5 years from walking outside without a mask. These new variants are something else.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Anecdotally, people all over the place in my slice of the country are getting it. I made it 2.5 years without, got it a few months ago, and it was very mild and easy to deal with. I got lucky with that outcome, but I have also lost some of the fear that I had prior to dealing with an infection.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
My mom came back from a girls' trip to Atlanta with her HS buds and one of her friends is now COVID+ and sick. Mom's feeling slightly under the weather, did a RAT that came back negative and is like "welp I'm good to go!"

noooooo

(I told her to isolate no matter what and also call doc about Paxlovid, do a throat swab RAT a few more days)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Insurrectum posted:

I got COVID a month ago after avoiding it for 2.5 years even though I wore an N95 100% of the time when I went to work and my only exposure to other people was walking in the hallway to and from my (single person) office. Me and another guy (who also wore N95s) got it on the same day, presumably from an asymptomatic superspreader in our corner of the building. My friend in NY just got it after avoiding it for 2.5 years from walking outside without a mask. These new variants are something else.

I keep reading stories like this and feel like finally catching it is going to be inevitable.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There was a CEO lunch I was supposed to attend but I didn't want to spend an hour in a conference room with a dozen maskless people so I came up with an excuse to avoid all but the last 15 minutes. The windows open in that room but nope, all those people were happy to sit in there with the windows and door closed and huff their combined breath for an hour.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Spacebump posted:

I keep reading stories like this and feel like finally catching it is going to be inevitable.

Don't feel that way. I ain't caught it yet. My parents haven't caught it yet. My two best friends haven't caught it yet.

Might our luck run out? Yeah, of course, but that's no reason to simply give up.

As a parallel example: I'm a flight instructor. The longer I fly, the more I know people who've crashed or had very near misses. I know my number might come up eventually, but it certainly doesn't mean I would stop doing whatever I reasonably can do to prevent it.

There's also three specific "hazardous attitudes" we always talk about because... they keep killing people. And they're all applicable to the COVID situation:

1) Invincibility, a.k.a. "It Won't Happen to Me!": People like to think bad poo poo won't happen to them personally. Combined with a few situations where they hosed up and didn't suffer any consequences, people can end up doing really stupid crap.

2) Resignation: this is the biggie right now. Everyone is saying "well, what good is it going to do to even try, we're all hosed." Well, yeah, I can't say we're in a great situation right now, but that doesn't mean you should simply stop trying. You might as well keep fighting until the very end and doing your best, even if you've already hosed up. If you're gonna die, die with your boots on.

3) Anti-Authority/Machismo: "gently caress them, I know better, I can handle it." Well, no, you can't. You can get lucky pretty drat often, but you can't outrun the odds forever. Follow the advice even if it's a pain in the rear end, even if it's not completely perfect.

I'd say there's a fourth one that's not officially recognized, but it fits into the others: faulty pattern recognition. Either "I took a risk, it was fine!" or "I/someone else did everything right, and it didn't matter!" It's a numbers game. Did you take a risk and it went okay? Well, that's good for you. Judge future risks without looking at that one anecdote. Did you catch incredible bad luck? Well, that can happen too; don't give up entirely as a result.

The management of the pandemic is, at this point, on a personal and on a societal level, rooted in psychology. Do your best to understand and consider it, and factor that into the decisions you choose to make. I'm not going to say you have to wear a mask all the time or shut yourself at home, but whatever choices you make, do what you can to understand them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Remember that COVID infections are often asymptomatic. Unless you're testing daily, it's entirely possible that you've already caught it and didn't even notice.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

jetz0r posted:

As I was typing that, I realized I was describing the quick latch mask. Gonna watch a few videos and probably give it a shot. At worst it's $40 to add another respirator and filters to my collection.

The latch system would work with a bike helmet and some big sunglasses, right?

I think so but ymmv, it's not a super low profile setup like an Envo.

Uglycat posted:

Get the 650X-QL. The "quick latch." You'll loving love it. I have a 6000 with the MasterVlad mod, a Secure Clique, and a QL.

QL I'd my go-to. So easy (and fast) to don/doff without stretching the elastic or tearing the cradle plastic. I work in a kitchen, and have to be tasting things all day. The QL has kept me safe so far.

:hellyeah:

Every food service worker who doesn't end up turbo hosed is a win.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

sheri posted:

I am currently dealing with COVID for the first time after having successfully avoided it for 2.5+ years. I tested + on Wednesday. My exposure was my nephew....me and my son drove to visit my sister and her kids for a day last weekend and a few hours after we left (on a Sunday) she got a call for her daycare that her son was a COVID close contact. He tested + on Monday, I started feeling like poo poo Tuesday. He had COVID in March already, no one had any symptoms while we visited.

With how contagious and apparently immune evading the new variants are it's going to get a lot harder to avoid. It sucks.
I also popped positive on Wednesday; caught it from my younger son, who felt like crap and tested positive on Monday.

Prior omicron exposure does indeed seem to help - the two family members who had it, don't have it now. That's despite me having less close contact with my younger son than either of them.

As for me, paxlovid is a loving miracle drug. Holy poo poo. I would not know I was sick if I didn't have a positive test.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PT6A posted:

If you're gonna die, die with your mask on.

FTFY

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lol.

But tbh it does feel inevitable to me unless you just self-isolate forever. No measure is 100% effective so far so the probability of getting it at some point approaches 100% if you live long enough.

Doesn't mean you have to just give up of course, considering you can get it more than once...

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

freebooter posted:

Smoke/pollution, OK. But do you really think you're at risk of contracting COVID while riding a bicycle through the countryside, presumably at some speed?

What a loving joke of a probe.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

I also popped positive on Wednesday; caught it from my younger son, who felt like crap and tested positive on Monday.

Prior omicron exposure does indeed seem to help - the two family members who had it, don't have it now. That's despite me having less close contact with my younger son than either of them.

As for me, paxlovid is a loving miracle drug. Holy poo poo. I would not know I was sick if I didn't have a positive test.

My husband and our son, both who got COVID in the omicron wave (and I did not), are a week out now from the same exposure and living in the same house as me (although I've been doing my best to isolate) and haven't had any symptoms and haven't tested positive on any tests.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Quote is not edit

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

sheri posted:

My husband and our son, both who got COVID in the omicron wave (and I did not), are a week out now from the same exposure and living in the same house as me (although I've been doing my best to isolate) and haven't had any symptoms and haven't tested positive on any tests.

Anecdotes, data, all that. But this would explain why the current bump is still a bump and not an absolute skyrocketing of cases like with OG omicron

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Riptor posted:

Anecdotes, data, all that. But this would explain why the current bump is still a bump and not an absolute skyrocketing of cases like with OG omicron
Well at least here it looks like business as usual, just for the first time in the summer and still a few weeks from the cool zone.

Left axis is #cases, right axis is cumulative cases

The cool thing is that we're up to like 40% of the population infected, though it could be re-infections of course. But hopefully with some immunity and vaccinations, the deaths won't get as bad as previous waves.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Riptor posted:

Yeah there's some evidence for this:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4165630

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MadJackal posted:

What a loving joke of a probe.

I am pretty sure point of the post they quoted was that you can adapt to exercising with masks on, not that you need to wear a mask on a rural bike trail to avoid COVID. Not sure I would have probed freebooter for that, but it seems like kind of a poo poo stirring misinterpretation of the post on second read.

e: Also Koos's inbox is open if you want to complain about one of his probes, appreciate people not doing it in the thread.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Well at least here it looks like business as usual, just for the first time in the summer and still a few weeks from the cool zone.

Left axis is #cases, right axis is cumulative cases

The cool thing is that we're up to like 40% of the population infected, though it could be re-infections of course. But hopefully with some immunity and vaccinations, the deaths won't get as bad as previous waves.

Official reported cases are going to be massively undercounting. I'm not sure exactly where you are, but if it's someplace that faceplanted Omicron wave 1 (which it looks like from the graph), it's pretty much guaranteed that actual prevalence is much, much higher.

The problem is that we're still not sure how exactly that will play out as waves and infections continue. In the US, the CDC estimated >85% prevalence of vaccination or prior infection going into Delta. That means we were probably around 90-95%+ going into Omicron and the first wave still killed about 120k+ in two months. Since then infection fatality rate seems lower* for subsequent Omicron waves, but not necessarily clear if that will continue to hold as the virus continues to mutate and reinfect large swaths of the population. We're also likely undercounting the ongoing disease burden, since several studies have demonstrated that even mild infections while vaccinated increases risk of various related illnesses and death, most of which would be difficult to directly link to COVID otherwise and would not be reported as "COVID-related".

* "Lower" still averaging 110k - 150k deaths per year at the current baseline.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

freebooter posted:

I realize I made this probe in error. At first it seemed as though freebooter was not acknowledging that there were rest stops near other cyclists, but now I realize he was talking specifically about the stretches of the cycling where they were on the road and jetz0r was still wearing a mask.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Stickman posted:

Official reported cases are going to be massively undercounting.

Yep but wastewater isn't skyrocketing

https://www.mwra.com/biobot/biobotdata.htm

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Riptor posted:

Yep but wastewater isn't skyrocketing

https://www.mwra.com/biobot/biobotdata.htm

I'm not saying that in the context of what's happening with infections right now, just

1) for any particular region taking the "official" number of confirmed cases and dividing by the population is almost certainly going to massively underestimate the actual percentage of the population that has been infected so far, even accounting for reinfections, and

2) having a very high % of population already infected doesn't necessarily mean subsequent waves will have less and less total burden, either in total attack rate or in morbidity/mortality burden.

E: The fact that cases aren't increasing as fast as the initial Omicron wave is a good sign, but there's a number of reasons why that might be and it's not necessarily predictive of future waves. Hospitalizations steadily increasing suggests that we probably have steadily increasing prevalence despite relatively flat "official counts" (probably because testing remains low).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 24, 2022

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
E: Nevermind, totally missed the links on the other site.

Are there other networks for waste water monitoring outside of biobot? The county I live in is covered by biobot, but is that the end-all be-all for it nationally?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 24, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

WSJ, two odd weeks ago: US discarding tens of millions of unused vaccine doses.

WSJ, the other day: the CDC wants to approve second booster for all adults, but the FDA is resisting.

quote:

Second booster shots of the coronavirus vaccine for people younger than 50 are on hold as the Biden administration tries to accelerate a fall vaccination campaign using reformulated shots that target the now-dominant omicron subvariants, according to federal health officials.

Officials are hoping vaccine makers — Moderna and Pfizer and its German partner, BioNTech — are able to make the updated shots available as soon as early to mid-September instead of later in the fall, said three officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about the issue.

The retooled boosters will contain components from the omicron subvariants BA.4 and BA.5 as well as the original formula, which was based on the version of the virus that spread globally in early 2020. The hope is that the redesigned boosters will be more effective in dealing with an evolving virus.

In late June, FDA advisers recommended including an omicron component in retooled boosters, and the agency directed the manufacturers to do so. The companies indicated they would probably deliver the new shots in October. But since then, officials have urged the firms to move faster in producing the shots. If the new boosters are available by early to mid-September, the officials said, it is unlikely the administration would authorize a second dose of the current boosters for people younger than 50.

A final decision has not been made; officials are waiting for information from the manufacturers on whether there would be an adequate supply of reformulated shots if the fall campaign began earlier than expected. A decision is expected within days.

The FDA said it is evaluating the current situation, including data showing an increase in hospitalizations, and will make decisions on boosters based on all of the available evidence.

Moderna spokesman Chris Ridley said the company is committed to accelerating the supply of its reformulated vaccines “to meet the needs of regulators and public health demands around the world.” Pfizer declined to comment on administration vaccine decisions.

Currently, the only groups eligible for a second coronavirus booster are people 50 and older and those 12 and older with impaired immune systems.

Earlier this month, administration officials said they were weighing a plan to allow all adults to receive a second booster to blunt a virus surge fueled by ever-more-contagious omicron subvariants such as BA. 5 that evade some immune protections and have increased the risk of reinfections.

Ashish Jha, the White House coronavirus coordinator, and Anthony S. Fauci, the White House chief medical adviser, favored making booster shots more widely available this summer and calling for a quick decision. But Peter Marks, the top FDA vaccine official, had some concerns, officials said.

As the debate dragged into late July, officials have grown increasingly worried that the window is closing to encourage younger adults to receive a second booster shot now and then a reformulated shot later this year.

Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said Friday on Washington Post Live that her agency is talking to the FDA about a second booster for all adults but that it is ultimately the FDA’s decision.

“There would have to be action from the FDA to authorize a fourth dose for people under 50,” Walensky said. “In the meantime, another thing that we are doing is planning for the fall and understanding what the implications are, and where we are going for the fall, which is just about six weeks away.”

Some outside experts endorsed the idea of allowing all adults to get a second dose of the current booster — especially because the protection provided by the first boosters is waning. That would also allow the Biden administration to use vaccine doses that are reaching their expiration dates and would otherwise be discarded.

But other experts warned that a second dose of the current booster would not provide a big benefit and might do some harm. Paul A. Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and an outside adviser to the FDA, said recently that repeatedly administering the same vaccine could lead to a phenomenon known as “imprinting,” in which an individual’s immune system develops a highly targeted response to earlier versions of a virus and fails to adapt as that virus evolves.

The federal government has agreed to purchase 105 million doses of Pfizer-BioNTech’s rebooted vaccine for $3.2 billion. At $30.50 a dose, that is a premium over the initial contracts the government made for the original vaccine in 2020, when the vaccines were $19.50 per dose.

The government is expected to sign a contract with Moderna shortly.

The first bolded bit is slightly infuriating to read, whereas the second bit is the only salient argument against distributing second boosters now... but I still don't quite get it. I don't recall seeing anything suggesting that getting the first booster would be worse in any way than the alternative of doing nothing, besides the small risk of side effects. Some abstracts I skimmed suggest that infection with a variant provides the best protection against subsequent reinfection with the same variant - at least for a month or two afterwards - but that's not the actual dilemma!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What chance do we have of actually getting omicron-targeted boosters by October? That’s only two months from now. It took me like six months from when the original booster was released to actually find an available appointment for one.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Koos Group posted:

I realize I made this probe in error. At first it seemed as though freebooter was not acknowledging that there were rest stops near other cyclists, but now I realize he was talking specifically about the stretches of the cycling where they were on the road and jetz0r was still wearing a mask.

He invented a position that (in his mind) would not require masks, then assumed that was my situation. My local cycling infrastructure is good and popular, so there are plenty of other cyclists and runners around. As i mentioned in my post, it can be difficult for me to find sections clear of other people to take my mask off while riding. Additionally, the nature of road cycling with other road cyclist around involves a lot of impromptu drafting and pace lining with unknown people. I have no control over a paceline passing us, and being able to join those pacelines is an enjoyable part of the sport. Since I have no interest in breathing in the air from the dozens or hundreds of people that we pass or get passed by on our rides, we wear appropriate protective equipment to prevent catching covid from that shared air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I AM GRANDO posted:

What chance do we have of actually getting omicron-targeted boosters by October? That’s only two months from now. It took me like six months from when the original booster was released to actually find an available appointment for one.

I feel like we'd hear a whole lot more from people announcing specific dates for these upcoming timelines if we were actually on track and set to meet them. The FDA just declared they need to target BA.4 and BA.5, too. They've only said they're theoretically approved, but exactly what paperwork and trial data the manufacturers need to submit for new booster types is still up in the air. The total radio silence about when these things would actually become available is not making me feel confident.