Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Leathal posted:

Tonally, the first couple hours of the game have been almost universally grim. Reminds me more of the first bit of Xenogears more than anything from the Blade series. The party members are all traumatized child soldiers that feel like anime Janissaries. Instead of “hey MC, why are you wasting time delivering flowers to a kindly old lady” it’s “hey MC, why are you wasting time ‘burying’ the enemy corpses we literally walked over in the previous cutscene”.

The bathhouse scene in particular felt almost like a subversion of the typical anime trope: it’s a utilitarian army shower tent, zero cleavage or any innuendo stuff at all, the entire cutscene is just the party members talking about wanting to stay alive so they can ritualistically commit suicide, and the only girl specifically says she wants to shower to wash off blood, sweat, and guts.

Not that I recommend it, but if you check out the XB3 threads on /v/ there’s a ton of bitching about “SJW censoring” which should tell you all you need to know.

Edit: I’m being very careful with the spoiler tags but there’s nothing particularly spoilery in them.

If you spend time looking at 4chan for any reason you have only yourself to blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Steel reeling at that image

does that mean Pyra and Mythra are groomers

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ok time to unbookmark, later everyone

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Leathal posted:

Not that I recommend it, but if you check out the XB3 threads on /v/ there’s a ton of bitching about “SJW censoring” which should tell you all you need to know.

If this isn't a ringing endorsement in the game's favor then I don't know what is.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I'm probably not even going to look up the OST ahead of time even though I do that for 90% of games I'm excited about; seems like an easy way for Youtube to be like "instructions unclear, recommending Boss Battle Database's video titled "FINAL BOSS OF XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3 - [NAME OF BOSS]"

But if anything in this game is getting chuds at 4chan in an uproar, I think this game will be alright

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MechaX posted:

I'm probably not even going to look up the OST ahead of time even though I do that for 90% of games I'm excited about; seems like an easy way for Youtube to be like "instructions unclear, recommending Boss Battle Database's video titled "FINAL BOSS OF XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3 - [NAME OF BOSS]"

But if anything in this game is getting chuds at 4chan in an uproar, I think this game will be alright

I'm not even going to touch YouTube.

I should probably also avoid this thread, but I trust the people here to at least use tags.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Does that mean Rex is a true playa since he's practicing polygamy?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Would it be better to have a potentially-temporary spoiler thread for this game now that spoilers have leaked, or are people happy with spoiler tags? Pre-release spoilers are kind of a big deal so I want to get feedback on how to best handle it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m gonna do NG+ in XC2, should I do Bringer of Chaos difficulty? I do value my sanity, if that helps.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Unless you're going to deliberately underlevel your characters or something, you'll have an easy time throughout the story regardless of whether you use Normal or Bringer of Chaos.

(I also think you can change at any time?)

Mega64 posted:

Would it be better to have a potentially-temporary spoiler thread for this game now that spoilers have leaked, or are people happy with spoiler tags? Pre-release spoilers are kind of a big deal so I want to get feedback on how to best handle it.

Normally I'd say a separate spoiler thread is best (similar to what was done when FF14 Endwalker came out), but I'm not sure if there are enough posters discussing spoilers for that to make sense.

I think it's probably best to avoid any content beyond the preview material (which I believe is all of Chapter 1), and for spoiler tags to have descriptions when used (so people know the nature of what's being spoiled in them). I don't imagine there will be more than a couple posters with access to any content beyond that pre-release, and I don't see any good reason for someone to be discussing major plot spoilers days before the game is released.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

And yet, people are doing that, right?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Mega64 posted:

The early game stuff is already chock full of really cool conjecture-bait linking back to the previous games so maybe a spoiler thread could be helpful to avoid pages full of giant black bars where you’re rolling the dice on if something is a spoiler or speculation

Honestly maybe just straight up banning pre-release talk might be the better option for now? Seems more fair to people who either can’t or don’t want to play the leak.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

VanillaGorilla posted:

Lol leaks from the cutscenes are out. I’m sorry, I can’t not post this poo poo but heavy spoiler for XC2 and kind of minor spoiler for XC3 (because it’s already been heavily inferred by the community to an extent):

LMAO Xenoblade Chronicles confirmed most horny game series on main 2022

huh

I can't actually think of another remotely mainstream game that actually was like 'yeah, our protagonist got in a long term relationship with and had kids with 3 different women'. Like there's a ton of games that tease harem poo poo but they almost always end before anything actually happens or have a single couple break out of it.

Also lmao that Nia got with Rex after how brutally he rejected her in XBC2

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leathal posted:

Honestly maybe just straight up banning pre-release talk might be the better option for now? Seems more fair to people who either can’t or don’t want to play the leak.

That's dumb

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
oh are people posting spoilered stuff from leaks

wellp, bye thread. talk to ya in a week.

...That said, can I request that people try to mark when their spoilers take place once the game comes out, so people can talk about stuff they've seen and ignore what they haven't? IE: "Chapter 4 Spoilers: :words: :words: :words:"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

...That said, can I request that people try to mark when their spoilers take place once the game comes out, so people can talk about stuff they've seen and ignore what they haven't? IE: "Chapter 4 Spoilers: :words: :words: :words:"

Yes, I believe this should absolutely be a bare minimum regardless of whatever else is decided. Spoiler tags should always be accompanied by a description of what the spoiled content is from.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Over a decade later and people still follow the unspoken social contract of Seven, I wonder what the equivalent is going to be for this game.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Unless you're going to deliberately underlevel your characters or something, you'll have an easy time throughout the story regardless of whether you use Normal or Bringer of Chaos.

(I also think you can change at any time?)

Even if you drop everyone down to starting levels, you'll steamroll enemies thanks to filled affinity charts, blade trust, and endgame core chips. A few enemies will be strong enough to be a real threat without a level advantage. Challenge mode is a different story, for the fights that can't be trivialized with an evasion setup.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Seven is a pretty unique circumstance tbh. None of the other games really had anything comparable and very few games in general do.

Its hard to hit the intersection of the seventh party member being a spoiler unless you have almost the exact setup XBC1 does

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 24, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

installing now, and im only like 3/4 through game 1.

but i have 0 self control, must play the new thing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
But it’s amazing how even today people still use Seven even though it’s been 12 years and they’ve cameod in other games and crossovers!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Not really spoilers since it's a basic game mechanic in 3 but I guess some people want to go in totally blind: I like that the stupid eavesdropping on NPCs to unlock quests and heart to hearts mechanic is back from X. It's probably going to be a billion times more bearable since the colonies are a fraction of the physical size of NLA so it's not like finding a needle in a haystack. It's sad that the party conversations you get from it aren't voiced but I guess that's JRPGs.

Ytlaya posted:

Yes, I believe this should absolutely be a bare minimum regardless of whatever else is decided. Spoiler tags should always be accompanied by a description of what the spoiled content is from.

It's also very important to know what not to say it's from, as well.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Now that spoilers are going to be a concern, I don't really wanna keep reading the thread, and I definitely don't want to look at youtube for stuff, but there was one song I heard a short bit during the pre-release footage I'm hoping somebody could be kind enough to post a link to the full song.

This is the one I'm talking about if the timecode works right.
https://youtu.be/NZto0rioqDk?t=575

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Zore posted:

huh

I can't actually think of another remotely mainstream game that actually was like 'yeah, our protagonist got in a long term relationship with and had kids with 3 different women'. Like there's a ton of games that tease harem poo poo but they almost always end before anything actually happens or have a single couple break out of it.

Also lmao that Nia got with Rex after how brutally he rejected her in XBC2

rex didn't reject nia in xenoblade 2. he thought that she meant in a friendship way, but there's a post-battle dialogue where he actually understands what she meant, sounds awkward, and nia giggles and tells him it's not the time. the spectre version of nia even yells at him and accuses him of loving pyra more than her. in the new game plus title screen pyra even calls over nia to them and she runs to them to hold rex and pyra's hands. in another she jokingly pushes rex out of the way to hold pyra and mythra's hands.

also don't know why we're referring to polyamorous relationships as harems, that seems weird to me

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Whether fake or real this is funny

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god drat the combat in 3 is really neat compared to 1 so far in the first tutorial area.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

queeb posted:

installing now, and im only like 3/4 through game 1.

but i have 0 self control, must play the new thing.

Where in the world are people getting the game so early? Leaks are one thing, but I imagined that'd just be something a handful of people get and then spoilers spread as a result of things they post. Is it using homebrew Switches or something?

Willo567 posted:

also don't know why we're referring to polyamorous relationships as harems, that seems weird to me

I don't think it really counts as polyamorous if everyone just loves the one man, lol. There's zero indication that Nia is romantically in love with Pyra/Mythra or vice versa.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ytlaya posted:

Normally I'd say a separate spoiler thread is best (similar to what was done when FF14 Endwalker came out), but I'm not sure if there are enough posters discussing spoilers for that to make sense.

like 90% of the last three pages is people discussing spoilers or noping out of the thread until they finish 3 (or get far enough in that they feel ok coming back to ask about stuff I guess?) so I have no idea where you got that idea.

I just want to talk about my fun trip around the Bionis in DE but lmao at any chance of that anymore.

Is Futures Connected something I should play before 3 for more context and some scenario setup or is it just fluff for the end of DE? If it's important I'll probably just rush to the end of the story tomorrow so I can try and do it during the week.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't think anyone will know if it's important until we're done with 3, so better safe than sorry!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Very jealous of all the people able to play this game early and similarly full of hate for those who be talking about it in this thread. Just rubbing it in that I still have to wait a week. :negative:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Willo567 posted:

Let's blame Tenchi Muyou

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

IcePhoenix posted:

Is Futures Connected something I should play before 3 for more context and some scenario setup or is it just fluff for the end of DE? If it's important I'll probably just rush to the end of the story tomorrow so I can try and do it during the week.

It was written and developed alongside 3 so it would be weird and kind of disappointing if it doesn't have any connection. FC is also like five hours long if you just do its main story.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

ugh after avoiding it so long i finally accidentally hovered over a spoiler in here

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dackel posted:

ugh after avoiding it so long i finally accidentally hovered over a spoiler in here

I don’t want to get spoiled on this game but I can confidently say looking at the spoilered image somebody posted earlier will only enhance enjoyment of Xenoblade 3

The only thing it seems to meaningfully show is what happened in Xenoblade 2 is somehow connected to 3 which uhh I think we already know

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Ytlaya posted:

Where in the world are people getting the game so early? Leaks are one thing, but I imagined that'd just be something a handful of people get and then spoilers spread as a result of things they post. Is it using homebrew Switches or something?

I don't think it really counts as polyamorous if everyone just loves the one man, lol. There's zero indication that Nia is romantically in love with Pyra/Mythra or vice versa.

there's still a clear bond between pyra, mythra and nia. like i said nia even jokingly pushes rex out of the way in one of the ng+ title screens and holds hands with pyra and mythra

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah the game is dumped so anyone with a hacked switch can just download and boot it up, It's pretty widespread now.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah the game is dumped so anyone with a hacked switch can just download and boot it up, It's pretty widespread now.

Yeah it's been out for 2-3 days now

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also it runs okay on emulators so you don't even need a hacked switch really.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

turn off the TV posted:

It was written and developed alongside 3 so it would be weird and kind of disappointing if it doesn't have any connection. FC is also like five hours long if you just do its main story.

That's good to know, maybe I'll just play it today/tomorrow and then get back to DE after, since I feel like once I finish the story I won't have the motivation to actually go back and do the other stuff I'm working on (even though I am currently farther than I've been before I know how everything goes down because I ended up looking it up at some point)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

It was/is also pretty available on eBay. I grabbed a physical copy at a $20 premium and got it in the mail yesterday.