Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

In Create 0.5, what blocks can you interact with as part of a train/contraption? Seats and doors and ofc the Train Controls block all are okay, but barrels (and presumably chests) and beds both are not. Furnaces and Crafting Benches both are also no-go. It would be neat to have a mobile mini-base of sorts-- or even just provide a place to sleep through the night would be nice-- even if these things could only be accessed at a station, but if it has to be disassembled/reassembled every time it kind of kills the mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

I haven't played since omnifactory and I never got very far but I think I did oxygen with sugar cane or or sugar? Once I moved on to numismatic dynamos there wasn't much need for my snad setup so it slotted right in

Got to crush the sugar cane. Ive been thinking about anotehr simulation chamber and loot fab, with a witch to get the sugar, mainly for the o2 and carbon dust

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I was not having a fun time with limited item filters. I found that EnderIO crafters didn't need them since they only take stuff in the slots corresponding to the recipe, but all the GregTech machines just suck in whatever-what-the-heck.

I know the Discord folks really leaned into mechanical crafters, but I was at the end game before I got the memo.

From the Discord, I saw a funny dynamic with people actively doing a second playthrough and how they advise people on the first playthrough. There wasn't really a good way on your own to tell what was going to particularly be important in the first playthrough and having some tips on that is one thing, but then you get people doing some other nutty thing on their second round as a general pattern and they're just running into a completely different set of problems.
I wrote up a whole bunch of suggestions in bullet form of suggested text/quest changes to introduce using lessons learned from the discord wisdom and forwarded it to the dev but it went nowhere, things introduced in git also get shot down like the completely reasonable addition of ghast tears -> chlorine to cover that massive gap that everyone runs into but the dev doesn't even acknowledge as a problem. minecraft dev is still a minecraft dev

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

Think I'm gonna retry Nomifactory and just straight up replace the mining stuff every time I run into it and see if I stay away from burnout longer.

At least early game I went in and hit some massive cheats to make things less awful. Namely; gave myself darmstadium tools and some creative drawers with various ores, and hey, suddenly I don't find the game to be nearly as much of a chore.

(YMMV of course, but if anyone is just dreading Nomifactory stuff, just remember cheating in single player is a choice you make, there's no leaderboards.)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh I guess what we do is fork Nomifactory with QoL improvements and call it Normiefactory.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Falcon2001 posted:

At least early game I went in and hit some massive cheats to make things less awful. Namely; gave myself darmstadium tools and some creative drawers with various ores, and hey, suddenly I don't find the game to be nearly as much of a chore.

(YMMV of course, but if anyone is just dreading Nomifactory stuff, just remember cheating in single player is a choice you make, there's no leaderboards.)

God I wish I had been smart enough to give myself those tools.

In other I wish I had been smart enough news I ground my factory to a halt twice in the last day by forgetting to do the setting on a conduit that was supposed to filter the matter from half my DML setup so those all backed up and I ran out of aluminum and gold. Then I discovered I had forgotten to void apples from my tree farm and it finally overflowed and filled my ME system.

I've been on a push to autocraft things into dedicated drawers and while its taken a ton of time to set up it been working a lot better than my old system so thanks for that tip.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Man, y'all got me wanting to play Nomifactory now but I still got one more night before I move into my new place and can re-assemble my desk and PC. Will early game murder a mostly lovely Windows 7 laptop?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Probably, yes. In my experience modded Minecraft is unreasonably CPU-heavy, and Nomifactory isn't super well optimized, though better than most I guess considering how many simultaneous machines can be running.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you're looking for building type things you'd be better off with a DSP/Factorio/Satisfactory for the laptop; otherwise you'd be in for a bad time with big modpacks.

Comedy answer would be setting up a free oracle server and connecting to that to offload a bunch of the processing then turning off particles/animations until you get playable speeds.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 20, 2022

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I grinded out glitches for hours to make the glitch armour for creative flight.

Then discovered creative flight is disabled for the ender dragon fight......

But, i now have a few set and forget drawers up for stuff i was always running out of.

I nearly have rocket fuel too. lol

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Comedy answer would be setting up a free oracle server and connecting to that to offload a bunch of the processing then turning off particles/animations until you get playable speeds.

Not really a bad option anyway, if only to avoid "leave computer on overnight to grind out production". :shrug:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

I grinded out glitches for hours to make the glitch armour for creative flight.
oh noooo don't grind for hours nooo if you use a uh self-aware enderman(?) plus kill them with a looting enchant weap they drop them fast. I think that's the trick, or maybe it was something else. I watched a youtuber do it and just did what they did

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Bhodi posted:

oh noooo don't grind for hours nooo if you use a uh self-aware enderman(?) plus kill them with a looting enchant weap they drop them fast. I think that's the trick, or maybe it was something else. I watched a youtuber do it and just did what they did

I was under geared (and killed way more than i needed)

Fun fact -

Dont swap out a self aware module from the simulation chamber by hotswapping a lower tier one.

Game crashes and the self aware (one being taken from the machine) disappears on restart,

So i kinda had to grind a bit.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Gave Vault Hunters a try and made it to level 30 before I quit. Reminded me of why I don't play combat-heavy packs - MC might have the worst combat in gaming history. I don't mind fights here and there, especially if the mobs are interesting, but VH arenas just rubbed me the wrong way.

Playing Rustic Waters 2 right now and having a lot of fun with it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Meskhenet posted:

I was under geared (and killed way more than i needed)

Fun fact -

Dont swap out a self aware module from the simulation chamber by hotswapping a lower tier one.

Game crashes and the self aware (one being taken from the machine) disappears on restart,

So i kinda had to grind a bit.

This is when you just cheat back in the items that disappeared.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah allowing cheats in MC is pretty much expected with the weird things that can happen.

But i didnt see the self aware one :/

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
For those you'd probably have to use either use console commands or if that doesn't work then nbtexplorer.

f3 + h will make items show all their ids for arguments for the console route while for nbt you're best off just putting a different self-aware in your inventory as well as a basic you want to edit and comparing the two to see what you need to change.

E: Here you go, console works fine for it.
/give <player> deepmoblearning:data_model_zombie 1 0 {tier:4}
will give you a self-aware zombie module. Replace zombie with the name of any other one and you're golden.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 21, 2022

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

I've run into a weird issue. I've got an enderIO farming station setup for canola to make canola oil and its working. But it keeps trying to replant a few of the blocks so it uproots the existing plant and leaves a pile of seeds. Its only happening in about 5 to 15 blocks. Some will grow normally for a while and then get messed up for a while. A few of the blocks never seem to grow right. Any idea what's going on or how to fix it? Its not a huge impact on production but I have a feeling an ever growing pile of seeds won't be great for performance.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

LtSmash posted:

I've run into a weird issue. I've got an enderIO farming station setup for canola to make canola oil and its working. But it keeps trying to replant a few of the blocks so it uproots the existing plant and leaves a pile of seeds. Its only happening in about 5 to 15 blocks. Some will grow normally for a while and then get messed up for a while. A few of the blocks never seem to grow right. Any idea what's going on or how to fix it? Its not a huge impact on production but I have a feeling an ever growing pile of seeds won't be great for performance.

Check the light levels? Looks dark in the patchy area. Day/night cycle would explain why some work normally and then break for a while.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

central dogma posted:

Gave Vault Hunters a try and made it to level 30 before I quit. Reminded me of why I don't play combat-heavy packs - MC might have the worst combat in gaming history. I don't mind fights here and there, especially if the mobs are interesting, but VH arenas just rubbed me the wrong way.

Playing Rustic Waters 2 right now and having a lot of fun with it.
Yeah, I gave it a shot but got turned off pretty quick. Expecting you to go through the entire game vanilla before the real meat of the pack even begins was a real roadblock, but then the whole gimmick revolves around MC's terrible combat. More than that, though, because of the way resources are distributed in Minecraft, modded packs have a hard time adding new, desirable items. What do you put at the end of a difficult challenge that the player can't get already? Netherite, diamonds, elytra, books of mending, stuff like that tend to be the main gifts on offer that a player would actually want, and those run out fast. And you don't really need even better weapons, most times, since mobs cap out at a fairly weak level. So most mods tend to invent new problems and that way they can add their own solutions to it. I wonder if that's why so many modpacks have simple quality of life improvements gated behind ridiculous costs and challenges, because they're one of the only things players will really want that they can't just get already.
Anyway all that was to say that for as big as the dungeons are the loot in them isn't that interesting, there's a lot of high tier, powerful stuff, but almost all of it felt like it existed only for its own sake.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, I gave it a shot but got turned off pretty quick. Expecting you to go through the entire game vanilla before the real meat of the pack even begins was a real roadblock, but then the whole gimmick revolves around MC's terrible combat. More than that, though, because of the way resources are distributed in Minecraft, modded packs have a hard time adding new, desirable items. What do you put at the end of a difficult challenge that the player can't get already? Netherite, diamonds, elytra, books of mending, stuff like that tend to be the main gifts on offer that a player would actually want, and those run out fast. And you don't really need even better weapons, most times, since mobs cap out at a fairly weak level. So most mods tend to invent new problems and that way they can add their own solutions to it. I wonder if that's why so many modpacks have simple quality of life improvements gated behind ridiculous costs and challenges, because they're one of the only things players will really want that they can't just get already.
Anyway all that was to say that for as big as the dungeons are the loot in them isn't that interesting, there's a lot of high tier, powerful stuff, but almost all of it felt like it existed only for its own sake.

The loot grind treadmill was one that I did not jive with at all, along with the fact that it takes way too long to even access modded stuff and then you have to pick how you get new stuff dripfed to you. It felt bad to me, but I could at least see the type of player who might really enjoy that sort of thing. For me though everything progression-wise just took way too long.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Falcon2001 posted:

Among other mods, I added ProjectE to Nomifactory to make the early game less grindy - all the advanced stuff still requires proper crafting, but ProjectE means it's a lot easier to produce the basics and progress without as much grind. It also means you can essentially create infinite systems for producing certain things like cables and sulfuric acid.

I tend to play a modpack most of the way through in its normal state first, then tinker with its mods and configs to make it a more enjoyable experience for myself. I'm not here to prove myself to other people, I'm just having fun making complex systems and making the questbook go ping. My E2:E install is a pretty big mess because of adding dimension mods and other such things to it, I might pare that down to bring it back from the brink at some point.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

isndl posted:

Check the light levels? Looks dark in the patchy area. Day/night cycle would explain why some work normally and then break for a while.

Yep. I totally forgot that there are vanilla mechanics to farming.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

LtSmash posted:

Yep. I totally forgot that there are vanilla mechanics to farming.

The other thing I could think of would be if you didn't have close enough water - when plants dry out they pop up like that.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

The other thing I could think of would be if you didn't have close enough water - when plants dry out they pop up like that.

That's not true, actually. You can till farmland and plant a crop and the farmland will stay intact as long as the crop is growing on it. It grows slower though, and bare dry farmland turns back into dirt over time.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Falcon2001 posted:

The farmer fortunately takes care of tilling and watering the dirt. If I didn't have my base lit by feral flare lanterns I might have remembered about light levels but they do a good enough job lighting things up that I haven't given light levels a thought in a while. But apparently not a good enough job to grow crops in every square.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I feel like not having cheats on in a pack is just begging for trouble. It's always "Oh, well that just vanished" or "this recipe is literally impossible because they didn't oredict this right" or "I'm not loving making another one of those by hand".

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah; I suppose if you're playing in multiplayer it's a bit different possibly, but at least for solo I always play with cheats on, just so I can recover from dumb bullshit like accidental lava/etc.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

With nomifactory.

DO i want a draw of each ore type in plates and wire?
I am trying to make a stack of the T1 miner and omg did i not have the plates ready. Nor did i have enough circuits. ><

Do i want a draw of circuits ?

lol

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

With nomifactory.

DO i want a draw of each ore type in plates and wire?
I am trying to make a stack of the T1 miner and omg did i not have the plates ready. Nor did i have enough circuits. ><

Do i want a draw of circuits ?

lol

You want 2x2 drawers full of every single intermediary. Autocrafters aren't that expensive, material or power-wise and save you so much headache. Just use long banks of MV machines if you're power starved on that front.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I pretty much had to do every single metal as wires and plates through the early tiers. There started to be a few exceptions later on. The quick check would be if you need plates of the metal to make casings of a tier, and if you need the wire for either cabling or as ingredients for certain machines at certain tiers. I think I had wires and plates of every metal that could come out of DML, along with their alloyed variants (electrum, red alloy, bronze). You'll need plates and wires for every thermal expansion alloy. You'll need wire for most (I don't think soularium or whatever?) EnderIO alloys, and most of the plates.

If you are turning a plate into foil for boards and electronics, consider keeping some space aside for all of that because end game will consume potentially millions of them.

In the end game, you'll end up having to ramp up most of the machines that you are using to do this now or just make new ones. If I had known the scaling ahead of time, I would have grouped all wires in one place and all plates in another, and just shat out UV-tier replacements for the final quest. That point you have creative RF power so that's not an issue.

Another common thing is rods.

When you collide with the next tier of motors, you might as well take a pause to extrude a ton of different poo poo, because it'll culminate in pumps and robotic arms that require various extruded stuff. You won't avoid the lathe because you'll need screws from extruded bolts.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

so yes.

lol oh man, this is going to be huge.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Meskhenet posted:

so yes.

LtSmash posted:

I've been on a push to autocraft things into dedicated drawers and while its taken a ton of time to set up it been working a lot better than my old system so thanks for that tip.

Yeah its big and almost certainly mine is far too densely packed and not organized enough. I've done almost nothing but sort out stockpiles of an ever increasing number of parts. The upside is that as I go its gets easier to just grab a ton of machines to poo poo out more. Another tip is plates are far faster to make from cutting up blocks than compacting ingots, even more so if you use lubricant instead of water. You only need a trickle of lubricant and its easy to make.

It'd be really nice if the copy paste tool lets you copy machine or AE2 junk even if not any of the settings. Are there any mods I could add that would help take some of the pure repetition out of that?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

so yes.

You'll get to the point of making machines by the stack just to save time and because it's much easier to grab a pre-made machine out and slap it onto the line whenever you run into a new part you need thousands of.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

All the Nomifactory talk got me interested enough to take a peek and while this is well outside my wheelhouse even as a fan of the factory and automation stuff, it did immediately introduce me to something I've been wanting since forever: Scannable (which was just yesterday updated for 1.19 and has both Forge and Fabric releases). Finally, finally something to make diamond hunting less bullshit without completely trivializing it. ...Now I just need to wait for Create + Crafts & Additions to update for 1.19 to be able to power the thing without resorting to AE2 or some other such nonsense.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So if you want to go with the always-free server from Oracle, be sure to check that region the you're selecting at account creation has more than one availability domain since it can't be changed later. I went for San Jose instead of Phoenix because I thought "hey, a little closer to home has got to be better, right?" Nope. San Jose has exactly one availability domain, and it's already full up on free Ampere servers. Phoenix has three domains, but since I'm locked into San Jose, I'm screwed until Oracle decides to make more availability domains for San Jose.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

taiyoko posted:

So if you want to go with the always-free server from Oracle, be sure to check that region the you're selecting at account creation has more than one availability domain since it can't be changed later. I went for San Jose instead of Phoenix because I thought "hey, a little closer to home has got to be better, right?" Nope. San Jose has exactly one availability domain, and it's already full up on free Ampere servers. Phoenix has three domains, but since I'm locked into San Jose, I'm screwed until Oracle decides to make more availability domains for San Jose.

I haven't been able to even make an account. It rejects my card and then says I'm either behind a vpn (I'm not) or using a prepaid or virtual debit card (Also no). Support told me to email them with the details and then email support sent me back an email that said "Unfortunately, we are unable to resolve this or process the transaction. This is all the information we can provide."

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

LtSmash posted:

I haven't been able to even make an account. It rejects my card and then says I'm either behind a vpn (I'm not) or using a prepaid or virtual debit card (Also no). Support told me to email them with the details and then email support sent me back an email that said "Unfortunately, we are unable to resolve this or process the transaction. This is all the information we can provide."

I turned off my adblock and privacy possum, but even though it put the transaction through on my discover card, I couldn't get it to work until I used my Visa debit card from my credit union. But I was just getting a sort of generic "something went wrong" message after inputting my card details.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Friend of mine's had a Shockbyte server for a while that was doing just fine with several people at a time on the lowest tier (1GB) back in 1.16, now with 1.19 he's beefed it up to the third tier (3GB) which is supposed to support up to 30 people, but having added nothing more than the usual Fabric optimizations, Origins, and Tom's Simple Storage (which is barely in use) it is semiregularly making GBS threads itself and dying from running out of memory and timing out with 3-6 people. I'm terrified of trying to introduce Create to this loadout once that updates given how much it's already struggling, and I'm not sure what to blame in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know about those mods specifically, but mods just raise the requirement naturally due to more stuff = more RAM usage. Unfortunately I also don't really know the effect of 1.18+ on baseline RAM usage on a server either. All I can suggest is bumping it up to 4gb, see if that fixes things.