Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Is having both guards walk away from the truck for half an hour normal procedure?

Short answer, probably not.

Long answer

Ahahahahahahahahahaha Brinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The rear doors have a pair of padlocks and that’s it. A buzzer informs the front cab that the doors are open(if it’s not busted). Won’t do poo poo if the drivers aren’t inside the truck. This is for the class B style truck for moving pallets.
Inside job 100%.

Standard truck side and rear door only open from switches from inside the cab so you would have to break in to the front first. Takes more time unless a door is conveniently left ajar.

Leaving a truck without a person in the driver seat is a termination for both at Loomis.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 23, 2022

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

The rear doors have a pair of padlocks and that’s it. A buzzer informs the front cab that the doors are open(if it’s not busted). Won’t do poo poo if the drivers aren’t inside the truck.
Inside job 100%.

Ehhhh, not necessarily, our fed trucks had Kaba Mas locks on the trailers in Dunbar. Also the trailers had scheduled alarm systems.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Depends on their cut of the 10-100 million

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

Ehhhh, not necessarily, our fed trucks had Kaba Mas locks on the trailers in Dunbar. Also the trailers had scheduled alarm systems.

poo poo that’s a decent upgrade to what Loomis was rocking. Still doesn’t change my opinion since it was done so fast and “bypassed”.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

M_Gargantua posted:

Life sucks but we don't have overflowing ERs with people dying at this point.

lol

https://mynorthwest.com/3566921/hospitals-sound-alarm-patient-capacity-wa-ba-5-wave/

lmao

https://www.king5.com/article/news/health/washington-hospitals-overcapacity/281-248b30b2-4ae2-4d2e-9b55-f46c007b91cd

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

poo poo that’s a decent upgrade to what Loomis was rocking. Still doesn’t change my opinion since it was done so fast and “bypassed”.

Well, did they even use the door or just cut in to the trailer? easy quick and probably bypassing all of the alarm/locking systems.

Should have had a chase vehicle.

All of my responses will have LOL Brinks attached to them, to anything related to this story.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

Well, did they even use the door or just cut in to the trailer? easy quick and probably bypassing all of the alarm/locking systems.

Should have had a chase vehicle.

All of my responses will have LOL Brinks attached to them, to anything related to this story.

This happened about 20 years ago when some dudes got on a roof of a class-b going to vegas-bakerfield and cut a hole in the roof. Crew never noticed until they arrived.

Loomis stopped doing chase vehicles around 2014 due to cost. That poo poo was so much fun!

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
So WHO has officially declared monkeypox a public health emergency but are continuing to insist it's a gay disease.

Don't believe it: it only looks like one because that's the only population they're testing. The virus can spread with everything from cuddling to textile contact to, hooray, breathing air. That it's being peddled as a gay disease is going to look worse and worse as more and more kids start to contract it, as has already happened in CA w/ I believe two toddlers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwtRPz8aDNE&t=1s

We have learned nothing.

If you hear anyone mouthing off about it please shut it down, we're in real dangerous territory w/ this messaging happening right at this moment. And if you suspect you might be infected, and a doctor is refusing to test, insist.

EDIT: Also yes you will hear right: a case of paralytic poliomyelitis has been diagnosed in NY.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

maffew buildings posted:

I forgot anecdotes start with a definitive statement such as defining how much of a risk something is, thanks

You're right, I did mean to say the perceived risk. My bad

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah the term “bypassed” made me think it was an inside job. Every lock has vulnerabilities, and if you know what kind of lock you’re dealing with, you can learn what methods of attack to which it could be vulnerable and go from there. Some locks you can get through with a thin piece of metal cut out of a soda can in a matter of seconds- usually pretty low security ones, so I’m surprised that a lock on an armored truck could be bypassed. If I had to guess I’d say one or both guards picked a window to leave the truck unguarded and let the robbers themselves know what locks were on the truck and let them figure it out from there.

There’s a saying that locks are only good at keeping honest men honest, and well…

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Any lock can be "bypassed" with a plasma torch and an angle grinder.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Presidential health update

The sequencing result is as expected. BA.5 comprised more than three‐quarters of specimens sequenced nationwide in the week for which most recent data was available and had been on a continuous rise since it was first detected in the U.S..

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I don't give a poo poo about that, is Big Boy Joe in the clean plate club again today??

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Old Boot posted:

Don't believe it: it only looks like one because that's the only population they're testing. The virus can spread with everything from cuddling to textile contact to, hooray, breathing air. That it's being peddled as a gay disease is going to look worse and worse as more and more kids start to contract it, as has already happened in CA w/ I believe two toddlers.

[…]

If you hear anyone mouthing off about it please shut it down, we're in real dangerous territory w/ this messaging happening right at this moment. And if you suspect you might be infected, and a doctor is refusing to test, insist.

CDC Director Walensky’s interview yesterday with the Washington Post had this awful, awful statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/washington-post-live/2022/07/22/transcript-coronavirus-new-variants-with-rochelle-walensky/ posted:

We do–have seen now two cases that have occurred in children. Both of those children are traced back to individuals who come from the men who have sex with men community, the gay men community.

As bad as Trump’s “China Flu” was, this may be worse. This is like saying not just that the disease can be traced back to China as a country, but that certain Chinese nationals are responsible for sickening American children.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Meanwhile, in The Guardian,

‘Nobody’s acting like this is an emergency’: Act Up veteran Peter Staley condemns US monkeypox response

quote:

He regularly emails with the National Security Council’s pandemic chief, Raj Panjabi. And he has become close friends with Dr Anthony Fauci, who he says frequently turned to him for advice during the coronavirus pandemic.

Those friendships are now being tested as Staley sounds the alarm on the federal government’s response to monkeypox, which he calls a “loving mess”.
“We’re close to the point where we’re wanting to call for the resignations of people we consider friends,” he told me by phone on Wednesday. “Unlike what a lot of people are saying, it’s not Aids 2.0, where we have a government filled with homophobes who don’t care about us. But it is Covid 2.0. It’s basically a copy and paste.”

quote:

“The CDC, the FDA, and all of it – they haven’t learned a single lesson from Covid. They haven’t spent the time to make sure that they don’t repeat those mistakes, because all of them have been repeated.”

quote:

Staley says he’s still looking for clear answers, and that he has noticed his communication is “beginning to degrade with people at the top” as he’s stepped up his criticism. But if he has one regret, it’s that he and other activists didn’t blast them sooner.
“We dropped the ball,” he tells me. “We just should have stayed in screaming mode every step of the way.”

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Platystemon posted:

CDC Director Walensky’s interview yesterday with the Washington Post had this awful, awful statement.

As bad as Trump’s “China Flu” was, this may be worse. This is like saying not just that the disease can be traced back to China as a country, but that certain Chinese nationals are responsible for sickening American children.

Yeah IDK what the gently caress the Biden admin and CDC thinks they're doing, but AP, WHO, everyone is running with this and it's frankly scaring the poo poo out of me :]

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Old Boot posted:

Yeah IDK what the gently caress the Biden admin and CDC thinks they're doing, but AP, WHO, everyone is running with this and it's frankly scaring the poo poo out of me :]

Biden is going to make sure police get 39b more in funding I don't know what else you could want his admin to do???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

maffew buildings posted:

Biden is going to make sure police get 39b more in funding I don't know what else you could want his admin to do???

Sometimes the world gives you the thinnest of silver linings.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1550149689110036480

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

You think COVID (not a real problem, just talking point of far left to try and destroy economy) is going to stop Crime Fightin' Joe from ensuring our Brave Boys get the funding they need?? Biden cleaned his plate twice yesterday (per doctor), COVID doesn't stand a chance and neither does opposition to this bill!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
To continue my anecdotal self-immolation here are the informal survey results of an ER Doctor, ER nurse, and Travel nurse: Fucks given about Covid - 3/10, 4/10, and 4/10. Worry's about monkeypox - 6/10, 8/10, and 9/10.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m less worried about monkeypox myself.

Yeah it’s a shame that we’re repeating all the mistakes, and it’s concerning that this strain of the virus is behaving in previously unseen ways.

Still doesn’t spread as readily as COVID (no human pathogen does) and immunity to its entire genus is far more durable. Many in this forum have already received a vaccine that is something like eighty‐five percent effective, though you may need a booster.

That said, immunocompromized people are in a bad position here. There’s is vaccine you can take. It’s called Jynneos and it’s the one currently offered on a strictly limited basis in a handful of cities in the U.S.. The problem is that U.S. stockpile is tiny. There’s over a hundred times more ACAM2000, but that’s vaccine contains replication-competent (vaccinia) virus and many millions of people cannot safely take it.

I wasn’t going to post this particular finding, but I may as well while on the subject: monkeypox has been detected in air inside patient rooms in a hospital in Leeds. This isn’t surprising; we know that smallpox could spread through the air. It’s a good thing that someone is looking at the right lines of inquiry and that the UK government is already taking the results into account.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

M_Gargantua posted:

To continue my anecdotal self-immolation here are the informal survey results of an ER Doctor, ER nurse, and Travel nurse: Fucks given about Covid - 3/10, 4/10, and 4/10. Worry's about monkeypox - 6/10, 8/10, and 9/10.

I'm curious about this.

I was under the assumption that monkey pox, while extremely lovely to have, is survivable.

Is it worse than I believe? Is the 2-4 weeks of being out that is the problem?

Why are some getting freaked out, and why now?

Edit after reading above: is the fear more along how much it can/will change, like we see with COVID?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Crab Dad posted:

This happened about 20 years ago when some dudes got on a roof of a class-b going to vegas-bakerfield and cut a hole in the roof. Crew never noticed until they arrived.

Loomis stopped doing chase vehicles around 2014 due to cost. That poo poo was so much fun!

It used to be an insurance requirement for cargo about X value.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Nobody takes it seriously because it's no more serious than regular risks anymore. I realize that's a heartless thing to say to people who are immunocompromised. Life sucks but we don't have overflowing ERs with people dying at this point. I'm only speaking from anecdotal evidence of places where i'm primarily active, being New England and Spain, but half my family works in medicine and even they're over it. Everybody just seems to pop positive and spend a day or two in bed taking ibuprofen.

It was awful, and we didn't take sufficient steps to mitigate the disaster. But two and a half years later and this is the new normal.

Being mentally exhausted about something doesn't mean the risks are any less severe. Especially in the face of hyper normalization to "get back to normal."

The expectation now that "covid"is over" is that everyone will get recurrent covid infections 2-3 times a year.

Even mild covid infections can suppress immune function. This suppression can and will build upon itself with subsequent infections.

You can get reinfected in as little as 3 weeks.

CDC's own estimate is that 1 in 5 will get some form of "long covid" after an infection, per infection.

The vaccines and Paxlovid have gone a lone way in reducing deaths. No so much on everything else.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ASAPI posted:

Edit after reading above: is the fear more along how much it can/will change, like we see with COVID?

It’s more about the changes it may have already made that we don’t understand the impact of yet.

We would like to be able to say “oh, this is like the 2003 outbreak”, and it’s just not.

In a least one way, knock on wood, this virus is so far less bad than historical observations, that being its case fatality ratio. The West Africa clade has gone for something like one percent in the past (the Congo Basin clade is an order of magnitude deadlier). Well the U.S. is over three thousand cases now and there haven’t been thirty deaths. Some of those currently fighting the infection may yet perish, but the numbers are still in disagreement. Is this a difference in the virus itself, in the patients (few of whom are children or elderly), is it an artefact of testing, or the results of treatment? No one is really sure.

Monkeypox is a neglected tropical disease, and that’s a technical term. We never understood it all that well to begin with.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm not worried about monkeypox because the navy experimented on me with ACAM2000.

Any of the rest of you that got smallpox vaccines post 2007 most likely got ACAM2000 and are good to go. It'll be in your medical record. If you got dryvax prior to that, though, you probably need a new one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think people will only care about monkey pox is because it’s gross.

That’s all.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Old Boot posted:

EDIT: Also yes you will hear right: a case of paralytic poliomyelitis has been diagnosed in NY.

Yes, in an unvaccinated man from a local Orthodox Jewish community that traditionally doesn't get vaccinated. He traveled to Central Europe and caught Polio from someone there who had taken an oral vaccine that is no longer used in the USA, then brought the disease back to the States with him.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Hearty LOL at the idea of the navy having an accurate record of my vaccinations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Hearty LOL at the idea of the navy having an accurate record of my vaccinations.

That just means you get them all 2 or 3 times.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Platystemon posted:

It’s more about the changes it may have already made that we don’t understand the impact of yet.

We would like to be able to say “oh, this is like the 2003 outbreak”, and it’s just not.

In a least one way, knock on wood, this virus is so far less bad than historical observations, that being its case fatality ratio. The West Africa clade has gone for something like one percent in the past (the Congo Basin clade is an order of magnitude deadlier). Well the U.S. is over three thousand cases now and there haven’t been thirty deaths. Some of those currently fighting the infection may yet perish, but the numbers are still in disagreement. Is this a difference in the virus itself, in the patients (few of whom are children or elderly), is it an artefact of testing, or the results of treatment? No one is really sure.

Monkeypox is a neglected tropical disease, and that’s a technical term. We never understood it all that well to begin with.

Thanks for that info!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Old Boot posted:

Really.

You're really shocked by this.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Yes, in an unvaccinated man from a local Orthodox Jewish community that traditionally doesn't get vaccinated. He traveled to Central Europe and caught Polio from someone there who had taken an oral vaccine that is no longer used in the USA, then brought the disease back to the States with him.

Lol. I hadn't read into the polio diagnosis yet, but absolutely none of that is surprising or unexpected.

I would hope the contact tracers are working overtime in that community, but I have a feeling there's going to be a bunch of child size wheel chairs showing up there soon.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I assume it's that these days covid is a know quantity, so it doesn't worry people. While monkey pox is a new major disease on the horizon while the start of the last major epidemic is still in recent memory.

Nobody wants to go through April 2020 again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Marjorie Taylor Greene is Just Asking Questions about monkeypox and kids on Twitter. 😬

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

Marjorie Taylor Greene is Just Asking Questions about monkeypox and kids on Twitter. 😬

poo poo is it Jewish satellites again?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

poo poo is it Jewish satellites again?

Sigh. It was Italian satellites, Jewish space lasers. It's like nobody is even paying attention any more.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Can we use the Jewish space lasers on the Italian Satellites?

This is important for my next novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

bird food bathtub posted:

Sigh. It was Italian satellites, Jewish space lasers. It's like nobody is even paying attention any more.

a jewish space laser is just an italian satellite with a job