Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

who was asking for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That one guy who stalked Tress MacNeille, probably.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If we can’t even get Tress back I don’t think there’s any point hoping for the other surviving actors to return either (also it’s weird they seem to be making Buster and Babs siblings in this one when they were literally dating in the old show).

Looking it up, the latter’s new VA apparently had roles in stuff like Craig of the Creek and (somewhat ironically for this particular thread) The Loud House

As mentioned in one of the tweets, Spielberg seems pretty confident in the new show at least but we’ll see how it goes

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 22, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Every time I flick onto CN, it’s advertising Bugs Bunny Builders.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I AM GRANDO posted:

That one guy who stalked Tress MacNeille, probably.
Talk about a monkey's paw wish since the voice actress is replaced.
Now how is he supposed to get off???

Speaking of, someone actually dug into that whole story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crgHPztPVzc

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

who was asking for this

The same people who wanted an Animaniacs reboot and a Ducktales reboot and every other loving cartoon from the 90s to get a reboot

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

The same people who wanted an Animaniacs reboot and a Ducktales reboot and every other loving cartoon from the 90s to get a reboot

The Ducktales reboot was good at least (in fact I kind of liked it better than the 80’s show) and while the new Animaniacs can be sort of hit or miss (but then again you could probably say the same about the original to a degree) I’ve had fun with it so far.

I’m not holding my breath or anything but maybe they could possibly get something decent out of this reboot as well (Sweetie already looks more visually distinct in this one for example as opposed to just “pink Tweety with a bow”)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

The Ducktales reboot was good at least (in fact I kind of liked it better than the 80’s show) and while the new Animaniacs can be sort of hit or miss (but then again you could probably say the same about the original to a degree) I’ve had fun with it so far.

A lot of folks do forget - and this isn't a slight - how weird the Animaniacs show was when you tell them about it now. One regular sequence being an extended Goodfellas parody (the kids love Marty!) is wild. I remember one bit that the 'joke' was the Warners were annoyed at being pestered to take a survey about George Wendt, also a bit hit with the youth of the 90's.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
From what I remember, Tiny Toons is full of impenetrable references to 1950's celebrities (Morey Amsterdam? Really?) and Animaniacs will do something like an episode that's just Heart of Darkness, the documentary about making Apocalypse Now. I've probably mentioned them both before but they imprinted on my play-doughy child brain.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YggiDee posted:

From what I remember, Tiny Toons is full of impenetrable references to 1950's celebrities (Morey Amsterdam? Really?) and Animaniacs will do something like an episode that's just Heart of Darkness, the documentary about making Apocalypse Now. I've probably mentioned them both before but they imprinted on my play-doughy child brain.

I remember Tiny Toons once had an entire episode devoted to songs older than the target audience (and another similar one devoted to They Might Be Giants songs)

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Kids next door did an episode with Gwar songs(re written lyrics obviously)

I think animation studios like sharing their favorite music

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always thought that Animaniacs was the episode dedicated to a lot of old and mature references that most kids wouldn't get. Lotta references to classic hollywood, also an episode about Ross Perot and a couple episodes dedicated to the "viral videos" of the day.

Tiny Toons was more focused on trying to work with the characters for self-contained stories, but also it tended to focus its bigger references on "teen" things, rather than things that only 50 year olds would get. Its deepest pull was the "two-tones", but that relied more on audiences not knowing what the deal with Bosko and Honey was rather than wanting them to get the reference.

Larryb posted:

I remember Tiny Toons once had an entire episode devoted to songs older than the target audience (and another similar one devoted to They Might Be Giants songs)

The one with MTV references was probably downright relevant for its day.

YggiDee posted:

That episode was also a reference to The Day the Clown Cried, the infamous movie that Jerry Lewis made, but decided to bur so it was never released because he decided he did it very wrong.

(and when you look at the script premise, it definitely seems like something Jerry Lewis, in his classic style, would get wrong)

kidcoelacanth posted:

who was asking for this

I wouldn't be surprised if there were people ready to do some kind of comeback for the last 15 years, just this is the time when Steven Spielberg finally gave the green light. Both Tiny Toons and Animaniacs made a comeback, and Freakazoid got a guest episode on Teen Titans Go (it wasn't very good). Maybe he's gotten to be the age to be thinking about grandkids.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The Freakazoid episode of TTG wasn't amazing, but it did tickle me a little that they got David Warner back to play The Lobe rather than Ra's al Ghul.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nameless Pete posted:

The Freakazoid episode of TTG wasn't amazing, but it did tickle me a little that they got David Warner back to play The Lobe rather than Ra's al Ghul.

Did Paul Rugg reprise his role as the titular character as well?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

Did Paul Rugg reprise his role as the titular character as well?

Yeah, but it wasn't really a good performance, but that could've been on the writing side. In the original show, he was zany from constantly shifting his voice around, up and down, but in TTG he just chose one slightly silly voice and stuck at that one level for the whole thing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dragon Ball references are to modern cartoons what specific Star Trek episode references are to cartoons from the late 90s-early 2000s.

Twibbit posted:

Apparently the original plan was to use instrumental versions of the GWAR songs but the original masters of those songs were unusable so they called up GWAR to just straight re-record them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Apparently the original plan was to use instrumental versions of the GWAR songs but the original masters of those songs were unusable so they called up GWAR to just straight re-record them.

That is both hilarious and on brand for GWAR.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Twibbit posted:

I think animation studios like sharing their favorite music

Arent musical episode reward bait and some weird tax loophole thing?

also like half the people in any creative art industry having a band or threater kid background.

Also being siblings never stopped the internet so good job making it worse and making there be competing canons.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
You ok?

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Writing songs and new characters is an extra paycheck

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

I'll never forgive them for what they did to ThunderCats.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Thundercats Roar was really good, though.

Seriously, "Panthro Plagiarized" has one of the best animated battle sequences I've ever seen.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Roar is the only good version of ThunderCats there's ever been

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I liked the vaguely Airbender-inspired reboot. Got cancelled because of that drastic turn away from action cartoons, sadly.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So I finished re-watching Star vs. the Forces of Evil along with my girlfriend who was watching for the first time, and honestly I think the show is still Real Good. It certainly has its ups and downs, but ultimately it's still a great story about two kids finding themselves and maturing in an uncertain and imperfect world.

As for the ending... I get why people don't like it, but honestly after watching the show again I think it's great. The show starts with Star as a young, irresponsible girl getting access to immense power she can barely control—and it ends with her as a young adult making the to give up that power and sacrifice her own happiness because it's the right thing to do. One can quibble with the execution, but imo it's a fantastic climax to Star's growth as a character.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I liked the vaguely Airbender-inspired reboot. Got cancelled because of that drastic turn away from action cartoons, sadly.

It didn't help that it was slow as gently caress and then dumping all sorts of lore at the very end.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Too lazy to dig up a link but apparently Dynamite Comics has picked up the comic rights to Gargoyles with Greg Weisman to helm writing and supervising these new comics, they'll apparently also be republishing the prior comics that Marvel and Slave Labor Graphics had done

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I know there was A Big Plan for Gargoyles but it's really hard to think how you top the original.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

I know there was A Big Plan for Gargoyles but it's really hard to think how you top the original.

The number of spinoffs Weisman had for the show are mind-boggling. I'm not super high on what he's done with Young Justice but I do enjoy the franchise so I'm sure I'll give it a look.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently Buster and Babs will in fact be siblings in the new Tiny Toons show according to the character design supervisor (which is an odd choice to say the least):

https://twitter.com/Lentendo/status/1551132205774098432

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ehh it’s not that big a change.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ehh it’s not that big a change.

Mostly in the sense that “no relation” was one of the show’s longest running gags and the original series mentioned the two of them were dating more than once

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
No more talking about good shows! We're discussing The Loud House now.

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 12B: It's a Loud, Loud, Loud, Loud, House

Season 1, Episode 13A: Overnight Success
Written by Kevin Sullivan
Storyboard by Darin McGowan
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: After much begging Lincoln is allowed to have a sleepover with Clyde and he has every second planned. However his schedule is almost immediately thrown out of whack when his sisters start taking up Clyde's time their own activities. Licoln blows up at Clyde and decides to have a new sleepover with random kids from school. He quickly finds that none of them can handle his sister's intensity and one after another they are all scared away. Lincoln realizes that Clyde actually thrives on spending time with his sisters and goes to apologize. They make up and Lincoln decides to pick up where they left off only this time scrapping the itinerary and doing what Clyde wants to do. Lincoln, Clyde, and his sisters all do the sleepover together and the night is a success.

Thoughts: Oh, hey, it's the first appearance of Clyde's dads! Credit where it's due it couldn't have been easy to get that decision greenlit at Nickelodeon of all places. But more on that in the next section, let's discuss the episode itself.

It's fine I guess?

Honestly, I found the most remarkable thing about the episode (aside from Clyde's dads) to be the animation which feels more energetic than normal. It's hard to describe but it kind of feels like this episode was fueled by Red Bull and tight deadlines. Not even in a bad way necessarily, I just noticed that characters move and shift between expressions and poses more than usual and it was a bit distracting.

That aside everything is pretty inoffensive. The jokes aren't incredible but they aren't painful either and the writers somehow manage to make Clyde less insufferable than normal thanks to this new character trait of being game for whatever his sisters are willing to throw down. It's a bit heavy-handed in it's execution but at least it's something likeable to latch onto. I'll take it over his sole defining character trait being that he's horny about Lori 24/7. Which is still a problem in this episode to be clear and I still hate him. I just hate him less than than in other episodes.

So yeah, mid-tier episode but I'm rating it “Good” for introducing Clyde's dads.

Themes and morals: Speaking of which let's talk about the show's attitude towards gay representation. While I think a lot of the standard criticisms of this kind of thing apply here (for example, Clyde's dads are limited to a single scene that can be cut when airing overseas) I think they also do a lot of things right. Clyde's dads are unambiguously in a relationship and are overtly referred to as “Clyde's dads” leaving little room for plausible deniability. These are gay characters and the show isn't trying to hide it. They also aren't written to be stereotypical and come across as normal, if extremely overprotective, parents and everybody treats this as unremarkable, which is exactly how I like representation handled. And while it would be nice to see a more beefy role for gay characters in this world it's worth noting that these aren't random extras but moderately important recurring characters which will appear from time to time again later down the road. By Nickelodeon standards this is pretty progressive.

I know it seems like a small thing but it makes a difference. When a kid is told that somebody is a degenerate goomer or sees some injustice in the wild having characters like this that they can think about and contrast with what they're seeing can be the difference between that kid rejecting a bigoted narrative or accepting it passively. Laugh and call it ridiculous if you like but there's a reason conservatives lose their poo poo every time a minority has the audacity to exist in media. Hell, Will and Grace probably was more instrumental in normalizing gay people to normies than drat near anything else. It's just hard to irrationally hate somebody when you've seen people like them in the wild with no negative consequences.

As for the main theme of the show we have a pretty common cartoon moral about not overplaning things. Lincoln tries to rigidly control every second of what should be a laid back and fun event and ends up ruining it in the process and is only able to salvage the night when he calms down and lets things happen in an unstructured way. It's not the best version of this story (that would be the Gravity Falls episode “Double Dipper”) but it's probably not the worst either. It's tells a simple lesson in a fairly straightforward way and doesn't do anything particularly sus along the way and it pretty much works. Good job TLH, you showed a basic ability to communicate ideas through the medium of storytelling.

Notable moment: Can we stop doing this? Please show, I'll give you money.

Final thoughts: I'm genuinely impressed that Lincoln was able to get like six random kids (that I'm not sure even knew he existed before that day) to come to a sleepover at 9pm with zero prior notice. Little dude's got to have some A+ sales skills.

Also, again we see every kid that isn't Lincoln's family or Clyde ditching him at the earliest opportunity. What is up with that!?

Final Rating: Good

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 25, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a pretty big difference.

Although I guess if they're going to do "college" stories, the intent may be to give them opportunities to date around without a single love interest to predictably return to. Although I'd really not be very interested in a lot of Tiny Toons romance.

Or maybe Spielberg just didn't remember that they weren't related.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Final Rating: Good

This one sort of hit home because I'm an only child and when I'd go spend the night at a friend's who had a lot of siblings they were all inexplicably happy to see me as well.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
i honestly barely remember that much romance between buster and babs, they did a pretty good job of letting babs have her own desires and whims outside of being in a relationship

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe they go on a date in one episode and there’s at least one instance where Babs explicitly refers to Buster as her boyfriend but otherwise yeah, I don’t remember the show doing much in regards to actual romance between the two

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That said, it would be a pretty funny joke if after all of those endless "...no relation" gags in the original show for it to turn out they were in fact related to one another and only found out either after the show went off the air or at the start of the new show. Like Animaniacs, Tiny Toons was also really loving meta, so I could see them pulling a gag like this if the writers were at all familiar with the original material.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

nine-gear crow posted:

That said, it would be a pretty funny joke if after all of those endless "...no relation" gags in the original show for it to turn out they were in fact related to one another and only found out either after the show went off the air or at the start of the new show. Like Animaniacs, Tiny Toons was also really loving meta, so I could see them pulling a gag like this if the writers were at all familiar with the original material.

I think one of my favourite dumb gags in the Animaniacs reboot was in the episode where they are getting bugged by email surveys and at the end Yakko finally relents and enters his email to complete the process, his email being "YakkoWarner2@wb.com". Then this exchange happens:

Dot: Why is your email YakkoWarner2?
Yakko: YakkoWarner was taken...
Wakko: Yeah! BY ME!
Yakko growls at Wakko angrily, clearly not realising before that moment that that was the reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Larryb posted:

So apparently Buster and Babs will in fact be siblings in the new Tiny Toons show according to the character design supervisor (which is an odd choice to say the least):

https://twitter.com/Lentendo/status/1551132205774098432

The thought processes of Homo-sapien-claifornian are completely inscrutable to me. Just alien minds compulsively making the weirdest changes.