Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Unperson_47 posted:

Does anyone remember when using IngDirect (an online-only bank) was a big thing? I remember reading about it on this forum. I always wonder if people using that ever got screwed over/robbed in some way.
I used them for a while. There were no problems and I actually got a small but welcome rate of return on a life insurance settlement that mostly paid for grad school. Then they sold to Capital One and the interest rate went down to basically zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I used to really like the ING direct commercial guy for some reason. In Canada, they are now Tangerine, which is a subsidiary of Scotiabank.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Unperson_47 posted:

Does anyone remember when using IngDirect (an online-only bank) was a big thing? I remember reading about it on this forum. I always wonder if people using that ever got screwed over/robbed in some way.

Yeah, back in the days where interest rates on savings accounts had a digit to the left of the decimal point, it was great. I think I was getting like 3.5% at one point? After the 2008 crash and fed rate going way down, it went to like 0.5%. During Occupy I closed all my major bank accounts and moved everything to the local credit union, which is a pretty useless protest move, but whatever.

The only problem I had with it was that it took like 2 business days to move funds to an external account, and I couldn't use debit with it or anything, so having checking/savings at the same institution just makes life easier. But as far as I can tell, it wasn't a scam at all.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Unperson_47 posted:

That's a legit banking conglomerate from the Netherlands, in Canada they were fully insured like a regular bank. They just didn't have branches. They got bought by Scotiabank and then became Tangerine.

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I love these "I did my research/due diligence" posts. They should all be saying "I didn't read the agreement that said Celsius can have all my money when they lose a bet."

"I did my research" = I watched youtube videos made by promoters paid to shill the website.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
This is my first time seeing this comparison, and suddenly everything makes complete and total sense.

And now I'm wondering how we could make a comparable "Hero's Journey" framework for conspiracy theories that could easily apply to 90% of what's out there.

Shifty Pony posted:

radio shack, etc brands have all been picked up by get rich quick grifters of various types
I'm still chuckling that Tai Lopez owns RadioShack in 2022.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

kw0134 posted:

Oh yeah, clearly the stuff that purport to be something besides itself are securities or securities adjacent (when's the stablecoin crackdown, you assholes). They've already missed the boat on ICOs so we'll see how far this new commitment to a facial reading of the statute leads them.

going back a couple of pages to this point - good thread here from a Georgetown law professor who points out that the SEC clearly applied the Howey test to all 9 of those coins/tokens in the Coinbase insider trading suit. This thread walks through it for one of the tokens, and then points out that for all the whining from Coinbase and certain CFTC commissioners, nobody has bothered to put forward any kind of coherent rebuttal to this application of the Howey test:

https://twitter.com/AdamLevitin/status/1550984952820416512

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Blotto_Otter posted:

going back a couple of pages to this point - good thread here from a Georgetown law professor who points out that the SEC clearly applied the Howey test to all 9 of those coins/tokens in the Coinbase insider trading suit. This thread walks through it for one of the tokens, and then points out that for all the whining from Coinbase and certain CFTC commissioners, nobody has bothered to put forward any kind of coherent rebuttal to this application of the Howey test:

https://twitter.com/AdamLevitin/status/1550984952820416512

This will never get old

https://twitter.com/masrama817/status/1550985242588200960

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

priznat posted:

That's a legit banking conglomerate from the Netherlands, in Canada they were fully insured like a regular bank. They just didn't have branches. They got bought by Scotiabank and then became Tangerine.

She don't use bitcoin
She don't use eth
She don't use ripple, or any of these
she uses Tangerine.
Tangerine.
Tangerine.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Unperson_47 posted:

In the late 1990s I remember wingspan bank. Online/mail only. Kind makes sense you dont have a retail foot print so lower over head.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

seems legit

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

seems legit

I am really surprised it isn't 14 words.

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.

Foo Diddley posted:

seems legit

Anytime I see the word "kindly" in an email or social media DM, I immediately assume scam.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Agents are GO! posted:

Counterpoint: "well, we've already got three Democrats on the council. Time to nominate a DSA councilor."

I'm fairly certain it's hard coded in law as "Republicans and Democrats", otherwise you get around it way too easy

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I mean, how many more Enrons are going to come out of this crypto crash? There won't be any cool coffee mugs to collect on these fallouts I can drink my slurp juice from.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Foo Diddley posted:

seems legit

I got Moon Moon

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

And everyone of them deserved what they got.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

letters to the judge are so funny

"dear you're honor,
i'm a huge moron who ignored every warning sign in the book, but please feel bad for me.
i don't realize that the money i put into the ponzi box has already been vaporized, please materialize it for me specifically because of how sad i sound."

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AutismVaccine posted:

And everyone of them deserved what they got.

yeah, i have zero sympathy for any of these assholes, especially since they all spent so much time calling everyone else stupid for not buying into their favorite ponzis

i do feel kind of bad for their families, though. sorry kids, you can't go to college because your dad was too stupid to realize that 20% returns were too good to be true. hope he didn't gamble away the house as well

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I mean it does highlight the difference between a dull dishwater dummy trying to beat the system and a real evil piece of poo poo running the scam.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Salt Fish posted:

I mean it does highlight the difference between a dull dishwater dummy trying to beat the system and a real evil piece of poo poo running the scam.

ain't none of these chumps gettin their money back, but one thing these letters might do is convince someone in authority that people need to do some prison time over this. i'm not holding my breath waiting, though

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Can you imagine how nice it would be if the DoJ just slowly went down the easily-traced blockchain sending people to jail?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Talking to a coworker about their bitcoin investments and they explain casually "well this was before you had to pay taxes on crypto of course".

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Talking to a coworker about their bitcoin investments and they explain casually "well this was before you had to pay taxes on crypto of course".

LMAO

bitcoin people want so badly to be drug dealers but aren't brave enough.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
:doh:

quote:

I'm an idiot and I sent ETH to a general address owned by Coinbase instead of my individual CB account. Any chance of recovery?

I wanted to test how transactions work so I sent a small amount of ETH (minus fees) from my Coinbase account to another wallet I created. Then I returned the transaction with the intent to have it back in CB. I immediately realized I'm an idiot and I wasn't supposed to do that, since it's been sent to one of general Coinbase addresses instead of my own Coinbase account. I know it's not a huge sum, but is there any chance to recover it?

:doh:

quote:

yeah it's one of hot wallets owned by Coinbase but I'm not holding my breath. Oh well, it was not a lot. I sent a ticket to their support but if that doesn't work, I guess I'll just assume it's lost. I hope they have a nice pizza for that amount.

Coinbase support :geno:

quote:

We're sorry to hear about this

We understand that situations like this can be really frustrating. When sending or receiving cryptocurrency, if you don't select the correct network, your funds will be lost. You can find more information about this here: https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/trading-and-funding/cryptocurrency-trading-pairs/how-to-send-and-receive-cryptocurrency

If you reach out to our team here: https://help.coinbase.com/en/contact-us they will look into this as soon as possible, and will be happy to help you if at all possible. This will also create a case and a case number.

When you have a case number, get back to us here with it, so we can take a closer look.

Thank you!

Can you imagine accidentally transferring your bank money to the bank itself in an error, and just going 'Wow I hope they can buy pizza' when told the bank will not return it? If you can, coinbase is for you!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

coolusername posted:

Can you imagine accidentally transferring your bank money to the bank itself in an error, and just going 'Wow I hope they can buy pizza' when told the bank will not return it? If you can, coinbase is for you!

lmao that these dumbfucks think this is better than using a bank

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Just further evidence that having too much money makes people lose their minds.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

buglord posted:

This thread taught me that margin trading and margin calling was a thing and god the thought of me being in that position makes me feel ill. Being not just broke but also newly, deeply indebted like these fools would likely make me stress barf

you don't have to imagine, they livestream it from their car.

https://youtu.be/NpsOmeFy0Lo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Unperson_47 posted:

they got rolled into CapitalOne and are just fine. Their banking interest rates have been much lower the past decade for obvious reasons but still among the best in the industry.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Basics of speculative investment is to have both a profit and a loss point where you realize your gains or cut your losses.

Believing that an upwards trend will continue forever is how you end up holding the bag.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Can’t be left holding the bag if the profits are always to the moon

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The most I could lose on an investment is whatever I pay for it whereas the most I could gain from it is infinity therefor

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

DickParasite posted:

The most I could lose on an investment is whatever I pay for it whereas the most I could gain from it is infinity therefor

drat, you sound like the 10 percent of gamblers that DON'T stop after the big payout. a real maverick. a risk taker but you just got so much style that you're always lucky. Anyway, I need to check your wallet to make sure it's up to code, so hand it over, yes I'm official.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

shame on an IGA posted:

you don't have to imagine, they livestream it from their car.

https://youtu.be/NpsOmeFy0Lo

Did he bet APPL would go down, but instead it went up?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

snotball007 posted:

You really don't understand much at all about the ecosystem. Let me share my knowledge, as I do enjoy using Flexa for poo poo (stablecoins 90% of the time because tax reasons). Also, congrats on giving me the motivation to come back to the forums just for this.

1) CRYPTO PAYMENTS ARE INSTANT THROUGH FLEXA! No confirmation times. That's because it uses $AMP as it's collateral token. (whitepaper and audits here: https://docs.amptoken.org/ )

So, when you go to a merchant that accepts Flexa (Chipotle in this case), you select the crypto you want to use and what merchant. Flexa generates a temporary "Flexcode" (i.e. "gift card"), have merchant scan the code, and done.

Yes, it's still new and real businesses take time to adapt, so at Chipotle I have to say "I want to pay with a gift card" for the cashier to select the gift card option. While places like Dunkin Donuts just go straight through. And there's always the possibility that the store location has outdated PoS hardware or you just don't have cell reception in the store. (Use free wifi at locations if you feel like opening yourself up to that security risk in general.)

Here are videos of me spending at both Chipotle https://twitter.com/LeviTheGiant/status/1533535289146327047 and at Dunkin Donuts https://twitter.com/LeviTheGiant/status/1528087264114401282

2) Flexa isn't taking on all the risk, that's what the staking pools exist. Remember when I stated that "CRYPTO PAYMENTS ARE INSTANT THROUGH FLEXA" part?

So, if you bothered to read the AMP token whitepaper (I don't blame you for not reading it, it's not that entertaining and a thicc boi), you'd know that the entire network operates by a smart contract. When a flexcode is scanned, the PoS hardware/software (no new hardware required) ingests the information on the Flexcode, smart contract checks to see if that wallet has that amount of funds for that merchant. When it is a "Yes, there are funds", then the network allocates the fiat equivalent of the purchase ($ Burrito) in staked $AMP and the merchant fee (less than 1% of $ Burrito, $AMP in merchant fee purchased from open market) and "locks it up" while waiting for the transaction to settle on the blockchain.

IF there is a problem with settling the transaction on the blockchain, then the smart contract liquidates the "locked up" staked $AMP. And funds are then used to make the merchant whole. Aka, MERCHANTS NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT FAILED PAYMENT TRANSACTIONS WITH CRYPTO! Here's a video explaining it if the reader still can't comprehend it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwV_SKLR-Uk

3) Team came from MIT and worked in the payments industry before finally figuring out the problem of crypto and payments in general. Yes, I verified and yes I did pull at least one team member's public record.

Notice how I said that "less than 1% merchant fee" bit earlier? Guess what... That all goes to the stakers. Stakers "earn all the fees" and AMP "is the glue that holds the Flexa Network together", those are the words of Tyler Spalding the "face" of Flexa. MIT grad (2011), worked for NASA/LM, and has been in Bitcoin since 2011, 6 months before his graduation from MIT. Oh, and they undercut VISA / MasterCard / Discover by a factor of 2-6x on fees, with a network that doesn't suffer from attacks (phishing, skimming) like current payment rails. And guess what? They are partnered and invested heavily in zkSync for zero knowledge rollups.

They've got a dozen pools up ("transformers") and even run quite a few Lightning Nodes in El Salvador (Flexa is how the largest financial institution in El Salvador accepts bitcoin payments). Here's where to stake and to see stats https://app.flexa.network/

4) Currently, only 2 wallets compatible but others have been announced by the actual projects involved (i.e. Solana Pay). The wallets are Spedn and Gemini...yes, that Gemini with the Winklevii.

So, if you are a Gemini user, what you do is open up the app and look at the top right hand corner right. It's the thing that looks like it's either a switch or a sideways credit card. That takes you to Flexa on Gemini. Select a wallet of which supported crypto you want to use from the drop down, then select a merchant. Same rules apply as before.

For Spedn, it's less obvious and I don't recommend it to new users. As it blatantly has a warning "not to deposit more than you are willing to spend" and telling people that they can't transfer funds out of it. Newer wallets won't have to worry about this, and honestly it's a non-issue for us who keep around $150 and less on Spedn at any given time.

5) You haven't heard of them before because crypto technology is just NOW getting ready for mass adoption (i.e. scaling, privacy, etc).

You see, the team is actually smart and not eating paste with crappy airdrops. They understand that the real world requires actual licensing and legitimacy. So they pooled in all their resources/connections and have partnerships with the major players in payments. NCR, Incomm Payments, GKSoftware, BlackHawk Network, etc. Turns out, it's actually smart to make your stuff work with other people's hardware/training/budget limitations.

It's getting more interesting this year. From filming a commercial to all expenses paid trips to Consensus 2022. Consensus 2022 is where Flexa will have a "Store of Value", one of many places at the conference where attendees can spend the new DESK loyalty token from CoinDesk (developed and made possible by Flexa).

Now, think about it, over 60% of the supply is staked to Flexa Capacity, they have yet to even lose $1 while operating, and the smart contract literally purchases tokens via the merchant fee. Oh, and they undercut Visa/MC along with offering far better security than any plastic card could offer.

https://twitter.com/AdamLevitin/status/1550985594444152834?s=20&t=BfNR9lRV8oIO4WndtvvKAQ

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

The most important area people gently caress up in crypto is right here, from the same thread in the last sentence. These people gargle more propaganda in an echo chamber than they ever realize. You can have an interest in technology and cryptocurrency even without drinking koolaid and being absolutely pants on head stupid thinking the government is the problem, and yet that's what we get.

https://twitter.com/AdamLevitin/status/1550988255197364224?t=ca2mt75QAvzPcYBhaAjeZA&s=19

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Did he bet APPL would go down, but instead it went up?

yes, after exploiting a weakness in Robinhood's risk controls that allowed him to use put options he had just bought on credit as collateral to buy more put options on credit, and then use those as collateral and so on and so forth, he managed to turn an initial investment of $2k into a $50,000 debt because the underlying moved *checks notes* 0.056%

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 24, 2022

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The main propaganda that the crypto evangelicals are immersed in is that everything even remotely related to crypto is new.

Crypto can't be a security because those already existed. A century old test can't apply because that's an old thing and crypto isn't.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

The main propaganda that the crypto evangelicals are immersed in is that everything even remotely related to crypto is new.

Crypto can't be a security because those already existed. A century old test can't apply because that's an old thing and crypto isn't.

And yet they keep copying every old scam in the book within their supposed new concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LifeSunDeath posted:

And yet they keep copying every old scam in the book within their supposed new concept.

That's just the price they're willing to pay for "innovation."

I actually saw a coiner unironically saying BTC's extreme power draw is a necessary evil for its adoption. Absolutely nuts