Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

kw0134 posted:

A strong state is a necessary condition of being a successful imperialist, so this argument means the trappings of any decently powerful state is imperialistic. Sometimes a thing is done not because it lets a state dominate its neighbors but because it is also inherently a useful project.

Napoleon defining what a kilo is had more to do with reducing physical variance of cannonfire to simplify the problem of "where will cannonball go?" into one more purely mathematical though. Maths which had been solved at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Marge, just about everything is imperialism. You ever sat down and read this thing? Technically, we're not allowed to go to the bathroom.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 23, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Takanago posted:

Marge, just about everything is imperialism. You ever sat down and read this thing? Technically, we're not allowed to go to the bathroom.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
universal measures mean that you have less need for someone familiar with local customs to measure (and, thus, tax, regulate, or redirect) the local commerce. it is one of many ways of stamping out and standardizing idiosyncratic local customs to make it easier to rule an area from afar. it's a part of a larger tendency on the part of states to render all people and activity in their territory legible to its rulers, so that those people can be directed to benefit either the rulers or the state as a whole. often, this process of making people and activity legible is a detriment to the people being measured.

if that sounds like a statement made by someone who is inherently suspicious of centralized power, you're right, it is. it's the premise of Seeing Like A State, which was written by an anarchist.

kw0134 posted:

An overly broad term that encompasses everything from the subjugation of the Belgian Congo to the fact American kids of immigrants prefer jeans to the traditional clothing of their parents makes it worthless as a descriptor then. Everything becomes an act of imperialism, so we may as well discard the term to get the granularity needed to discuss it any detail.

weird how this game about the subjugation of the belgian congo is also going to put so much emphasis on immigrants assimilating to the dominant culture.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Wiz is in this thread making fun of the tedious Imperialism derail so probably not in the way you would hope

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a meme in stellaris from the last time we had a pointless never-ending pedantic debate over the meaning of terms.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

There's a meme in stellaris from the last time we had a pointless never-ending pedantic debate over the meaning of terms.

And yet collectivism vs individualism was indeed renamed to authoritarianism vs egalitarianism, so goons won the debate :colbert:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Enjoy posted:

And yet collectivism vs individualism was indeed renamed to authoritarianism vs egalitarianism, so goons won the debate :colbert:

lmao i remember that

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The worst crime imperialism caused was this particular debate.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
So... are all colonial acts also imperialistic acts?

Probably not. Best example I can think of is that poople fleeing Napoleonic Europe probably weren't in it for the glory of empire.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Imperialism is being treated as a synonym for bad but I'm not sure that the world is worse off for the existence of the Roman empire.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Raenir Salazar posted:

Imperialism is being treated as a synonym for bad but I'm not sure that the world is worse off for the existence of the Roman empire.

Given enough time, any conquest, no matter how brutal, turns into an inevitable civilizing force of history allowing girls to transport pots of gold over long distances.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well the problem with treating old school imperialism as exactly the same as more modern versions, is that most civilizations would do it in a heartbeat if given the option. The very idea it could be bad would just be confusing

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

What's actually being debated? Is it just semantics?

If we're talking about systems that ease the imposition of state control over it's own people, I think you could call that "imperialism" in the original "command" sense of the word.

Or you could say "imperialism" has strong enough connotations with one group imposing on another group that you're not comfortable using that word in the context of centralization.

Who cares?

It's interesting to point out how state control works, but I find the idea of insisting on particular meanings of words to be pointless.

If that's all that's going on this whole conversation is imperialism.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Raenir Salazar posted:

It resulted in people posting stuff like this.

But seriously, what did the Romans even do that justifies their reign of terror?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They don’t need to justify it it happened and their neighbors did it and their successors did it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But seriously, what did the Romans even do that justifies their reign of terror?

Cool aesthetic

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The aqueduct?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ilitarist posted:

The aqueduct?
Not their idea.

Gaius Marius posted:

Cool aesthetic
For a fascist to use.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Though caring about imperialism in the distant past is self indulgent nonsense anyway

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though caring about imperialism in the distant past is self indulgent nonsense anyway

this is the victoria 3 thread my dude

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think it was a reign of terror for many of the peoples living within the borders or tribes who sought refuge within. But yeah as someone else implies you're literally doing that Monty Python skit.

Because basically right now it kinda seems like for some people "convincing people to do things the way I want to do them" is apparently Imperialism.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

this is the victoria 3 thread my dude

Vicky 3 is set less than 300 years ago and many of the systems are still a thing. That’s not ancient. Getting mad at the Romans or the Caliphate for stuff that is over a thousand years old is

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takanago posted:

Eiba posted:

The Napoleonic Ogre wanted the Anglo to have reasonable measuring rules but the brave people of Worcesteroshire-upon-the-thane still measure their potatoes in stones and their apartment heights in feet length or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eiba posted:

Its beyond semantics by now, I think. I'm completely lost and would like to hear more about Victoria 3 the videogame that I look forward to playing and less about goons and their opinions on "bad" and "imperialism".

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

imperialposting, the highest stage of shitposting

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

in the future anarchist utopia we have abolished imperialist measurements and i immediately die by overdosing on painkillers

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Being invaded by a foreign country is good, actually, because all the people that don't get murdered in the initial invasion now get to enjoy the benefits of a foreign, efficient administrative system siphoning all their wealth to the metropole.

The only ethical way to play Victoria is (obviously) to play a country that got invaded irl and beat up the country that invaded you. If you do some fictional imperialism along the way, it's then morally justified by your underdog status. Turn that Isle-de-france into the Isle-de-Vietnam, baby.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think it was a reign of terror for many of the peoples living within the borders or tribes who sought refuge within. But yeah as someone else implies you're literally doing that Monty Python skit.
The Romans took credit for a lot of poo poo that was already in place when they came in an murdered a bunch of people.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh this is more you having a weird vendetta against the Romans like an edgy teenager

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
...edgy teenagers have vendettas against the Romans???

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah because the Romans in western society are seen as important. No one is talking about how brutal and overrated the Caliphate is, because in the west no one cares even a little bit about the Caliphate

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

can't wait to play victoria 3

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
cleveland is the capital of ohio in previous victoria games, will this be fixed??

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

...edgy teenagers have vendettas against the Romans???
Never heard of the goths?

Red Bones posted:

The only ethical way to play Victoria is (obviously) to play a country that got invaded irl and beat up the country that invaded you.
That's a thing I really enjoy to do in EU4. :shobon:

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the importance of the corpus iuris civilis cannot be denied

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Being a citizen of Rome meant having a higher standard of living on average than anyone in the Western world would see until the Enlightenment era. During the Pax Romana most people in most provinces would never even see a soldier, let alone the flames of war. Hard to argue that wasn't an improvement on what came before. And as a Marxist, I must salute the Caesars for advancing the dialectic and developing the means of production, thereby bringing tribal societies of Western Europe out of the primitive communist stage of history and into the classical or slavery based stage of history, the next step on mankind's path to freedom.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah because the Romans in western society are seen as important. No one is talking about how brutal and overrated the Caliphate is, because in the west no one cares even a little bit about the Caliphate
It's actually because the Caliphate started as a liberation movement.

Mantis42 posted:

Being a citizen of Rome meant having a higher standard of living on average than anyone in the Western world would see until the Enlightenment era. During the Pax Romana most people in most provinces would never even see a soldier, let alone the flames of war. Hard to argue that wasn't an improvement on what came before. And as a Marxist, I must salute the Caesars for advancing the dialectic and developing the means of production, thereby bringing tribal societies of Western Europe out of the primitive communist stage of history and into the classical or slavery based stage of history, the next step on mankind's path to freedom.
Gaul wasn't meaningfully less developed than Rome when Caesar conquered it, it just got conquered and genocided. Rome didn't advance poo poo either, it caused the entire region to stagnate until it finally fell apart. The pre-Roman interstate anarchy would've developed much more rapidly, as seen when Europe finally picked up the pieces after the failure of Roman society.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Take it to the Imperator thread you loving dorks :anarchists:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Dreissi posted:

Take it to the Imperator thread you loving dorks :anarchists: