Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

cool av posted:

why do multiple people touch (and taste?) the car blood that spilled on the ground in the 2nd one???

if youve never done it you wouldnt understand i recommend trying it yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cool av posted:

why do multiple people touch (and taste?) the car blood that spilled on the ground in the 2nd one???

you've never exhulted in a fresh kill? it's the appeal of hunting, to revel in victory

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/CathyTuttle/status/1549999526408175617

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

i hope nobody doesn't see this guy when he's outside his car giving somebody a ticket

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

America is a perfect synthesis of cop brain and car brain

ACAB

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lobster shirt posted:

definitely posted this before but it's extremely disheartening how many people don't slow down or even give me very much space when i am pushing my son around on his stroller in my neighborhood. we don't have sidewalks (houston is hell, even relatively central neighborhoods) so i am walking around on residential streets, but people still zoom by at like 30 mph with barely a foot of clearance. that kind of hostility to adult pedestrians is normal but it shocks me every time that people seem to not even care about a kid young enough to be in a stroller. i hate this place sometimes lol

the thing that keeps getting me is that we have no mechanism for addressing this. you can have a million close calls every day in american cities where a driver totally loving blows a stop sign or red light and comes within a foot of hitting someone and even if you have perfectly clear go-pro footage of it or something like that, there is no system of accountability. if you show it to cops they'll shrug and say they didnt hit you so who cares, and if you show it to the dmv they would shrug even harder and say it's out of their hands. and of course if they do hit you, the cops will say yes they did hit and kill someone but driving is hard so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it's a perfect feedback loop where lovely driving is so omnipresent and constant that people can't even imagine doing something about it, and drivers pick up on that and drive even worse, which just makes the scale of the problem even more unmanageable. i looked up the license plate of the last guy to drive within a foot of my kid's stroller in a crosswalk and he has thousands of dollars of tickets from speeding and running red lights and there's just no plan to get him off the road

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Greatbacon posted:

America is a perfect synthesis of cop brain and car brain

ACAB

All cars are brains?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

the thing that keeps getting me is that we have no mechanism for addressing this. you can have a million close calls every day in american cities where a driver totally loving blows a stop sign or red light and comes within a foot of hitting someone and even if you have perfectly clear go-pro footage of it or something like that, there is no system of accountability. if you show it to cops they'll shrug and say they didnt hit you so who cares, and if you show it to the dmv they would shrug even harder and say it's out of their hands. and of course if they do hit you, the cops will say yes they did hit and kill someone but driving is hard so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it's a perfect feedback loop where lovely driving is so omnipresent and constant that people can't even imagine doing something about it, and drivers pick up on that and drive even worse, which just makes the scale of the problem even more unmanageable. i looked up the license plate of the last guy to drive within a foot of my kid's stroller in a crosswalk and he has thousands of dollars of tickets from speeding and running red lights and there's just no plan to get him off the road

Wait you can look up license plates?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait you can look up license plates?

In some places yes

https://twitter.com/HowsMyDrivingNY/status/1550283795840094208?t=BiA085ws14PtKUvWWMtVTg&s=19

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lol this merc is averaging two speeding in a school zone fines a month (with obviously defaced plates!)

https://twitter.com/HowsMyDrivingNY/status/1549953866443419648?t=_IFZiqxuFecuEqde2FzA5w&s=19

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

distortion park posted:

lol this merc is averaging two speeding in a school zone fines a month (with obviously defaced plates!)

https://twitter.com/HowsMyDrivingNY/status/1549953866443419648?t=_IFZiqxuFecuEqde2FzA5w&s=19
Infuriating. This system presents a veneer of Doing Something, but achieves absolutely nothing. 37 infractions!

Meanwhile, in eurocommie land, you lose your license after 12 points

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

article posted:

“He all of the sudden appeared in front of her car, and she was unable to stop,” Reyer said.

Yeah, people tend to "all of the sudden appear" in lit crosswalks. It's like magic!

It's not like its that broad of a street. This looks really narrow, traffic had stopped both directions to let the kid pass, she went around a stopped car and ran the kid over and nothing will happen to her!

Of course, if you want to make it safer for people to cross, why isn't this an actual stop light instead of whatever that bullshit is?

Scuffy_1989 has issued a correction as of 00:44 on Jul 24, 2022

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
sincere question to our american friends, not trying to do A Bit here, but how common are actually-stops-traffic-with-a-real-rear end-red-light crossings on roads like these, outside of 'intersections'?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm not gonna say I've never seen one but I can't recall one. Then again I live in the south and we take a huge pride in pedestrian fatalities because generally poor people walk and the perception, right or wrong, is that disproportionately includes you know who so it'll likely never be addressed and indeed will probably be made worse

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

an actual frog posted:

sincere question to our american friends, not trying to do A Bit here, but how common are actually-stops-traffic-with-a-real-rear end-red-light crossings on roads like these, outside of 'intersections'?

some exist but quite rare. especially on streets like that where no one would want to walk, so none but the poor (and occasional foot brained sickos) do

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mid-block crosswalks are rare enough. I don't think I've ever seen one with a red light. You're lucky if it has a signal at all, or an island.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’ve had people refuse to yield right of way at a crosswalk at the end of a block that wasn’t signaled. One of them drove into opposing traffic to go around me.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Edit; didn't really read the question very well. Anyway cars are bad and we should hold the operators accountable for their errors.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

IAMKOREA posted:

All cars are brains?

I'm pretty sure he's just calling for a cab.

mystes
May 31, 2006

an actual frog posted:

In some places they're pretty common and in other places they basically don't exist at all.

I'm not sure if it's just a difference in levels of car brain, local policies, or if the normal lights predate rrfbs becoming widespread or what.

I think rrfbs and hawk lights may kind of be a fad among traffic engineers and I think there are alleged reasons they're supposed to be good for pedestrians like not having to wait but Im hoping they eventually just get removed from the codes.

mystes has issued a correction as of 03:17 on Jul 24, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Yeah, people tend to "all of the sudden appear" in lit crosswalks. It's like magic!

It's not like its that broad of a street. This looks really narrow, traffic had stopped both directions to let the kid pass, she went around a stopped car and ran the kid over and nothing will happen to her!

Of course, if you want to make it safer for people to cross, why isn't this an actual stop light instead of whatever that bullshit is?

I keep wondering how vehicular manslaughter doesn’t count. You killed someone w your vehicle. You didn’t intend to but you did so through negligent action.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Living in Chicago I never understand cities that DON'T have thier airports connected to their transit systems. It's just the most natural obviousl place to extend the train to. This includes DC, NYC, DFW etc. major metor area's that have either had mass transit for years, or are finally building it out, and they still can't seem to connect their airports. It's bizarre.

If I recall right, this has to do with the Aviation Safety and Capacity Expansion Act in 1990. Airports were allowed to use surcharges on tickets to pay for rail, but they could not be used for rail lines extending past the airport property. Many cities can't justify the cost of paying for the rail to the airport (not without heavy fees), and the airport couldn't assist them in the cost. There's more to it, but the regulations were insane and a big factor of why many airports aren't connected to the regional rail line. Some of the worst regulations were changed recently though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

RockWhisperer posted:

If I recall right, this has to do with the Aviation Safety and Capacity Expansion Act in 1990. Airports were allowed to use surcharges on tickets to pay for rail, but they could not be used for rail lines extending past the airport property. Many cities can't justify the cost of paying for the rail to the airport (not without heavy fees), and the airport couldn't assist them in the cost. There's more to it, but the regulations were insane and a big factor of why many airports aren't connected to the regional rail line. Some of the worst regulations were changed recently though.

I absolutely believe that it was some dumbass rider on some omnibus bill that was designed intentionally to encourage driving to the airport, or just incompetency because city/regional public transit doesn't have an army of lobbyist to craft legislation for it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Boywhiz88 posted:

I keep wondering how vehicular manslaughter doesn’t count. You killed someone w your vehicle. You didn’t intend to but you did so through negligent action.

No Fault accidents pushed by car insurance companies so that they never have to pay out for anything ever. No Fault meaning that the outcome of whatever happened was equally split between the kid that was run over and the poor driver who didn't do anything wrong.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Mid-block crosswalks are rare enough. I don't think I've ever seen one with a red light. You're lucky if it has a signal at all, or an island.

i know of exactly one, in downtown seattle and I’m pretty sure it existed to make travel between two large related businesses easier but those corps have long since moved out and the traffic patterns have made it pointless

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

https://twitter.com/s0ymalia/status/1550491970824536064

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Some people played oregan trail way too much I think

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

RockWhisperer posted:

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/z3v5j3/us-airports-no-longer-have-to-build-their-own-crappy-trains

lol america does some real dumb poo poo sometimes

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Xaris posted:

naw the worst are those but using disabled people as a cudgel for advocating for more cars.

ya'll🤞 it's 2022 👏 folx we need to have a serious discusion about everyone showing their asses with spect to the disabled and infirm loved ones. lets get it out now and face it, bikes and pedestrianism is ableism. cars ain't all that bad ya'll and its time you did some growing up ✔. it's vital for the lived experiences of disabled people to drive an suv and park it infront of every store at any time they need to. bike lanes hurt disabled people because they take away their important street parking. don't marginalize the disabled 🙏. it's not my job to educate you 👏👏

thanks ablebodied online twitter lib for protecting car culture :911:

lol ran into this in the wild

https://twitter.com/BradWal50838347/status/1549960517967659008

the issue in question? letting cars drive through a park

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

an actual frog posted:

not american, but i can think of only two intersections i've come across in the montréal area that are:

push the button: cars get a red, you get a walk signal

kind of things, and they're both in the suburbs.

there are several roundabouts where vehicular traffic "has to" yield to cyclists, and honestly i've never had problem there, but you can never take it for granted because otherwise you will be dead lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

And MTL is probably one of the better pedestrian cities in NA

e: actually idk about walking I meant more public transportation. woops

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

an actual frog posted:

there's one here in Berkeley, midblock crossing even, but i think the reason it's there is because they built a new senior village recently and did some bike lane poo poo at the same time as part of this "revitalization" of albany village region. tbf i don't see it being used very much, there's way more dangerous intersections so i have to figure it was done for the senior village hotel thingy exclusively

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Living in Chicago I never understand cities that DON'T have thier airports connected to their transit systems. It's just the most natural obviousl place to extend the train to. This includes DC, NYC, DFW etc. major metor area's that have either had mass transit for years, or are finally building it out, and they still can't seem to connect their airports. It's bizarre.

Airports are real transport like the car and need not be sullied with Poor People Movers

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

an actual frog posted:

no joke I can think of like 10-15 here in Chicago suburbs. Solar powered, you press a button and a flashing red light appears. Usually associated w parks and/or forest preserves

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Scuffy_1989 posted:

this is so dangerous. my country is almost as car brained as they come but the standard here is zebra crossings only appear on roads with a single lane each way. if there's two or more lanes in each direction you get a traffic light style crossing instead of zebra one

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

today while wheeling around my 4 month old in her pram multiple drivers appeared to speed up (towards stop signs) when they noticed me crossing. or happily made us wait in the middle of the road because they tore around a corner and had 'right of way' and therefore why would they let us finish crossing. never mind we were already well on our way before they even sighted us

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We need more pictures of cars hosed up by bollards imho

mila kunis posted:

lol ran into this in the wild

https://twitter.com/BradWal50838347/status/1549960517967659008

the issue in question? letting cars drive through a park

https://twitter.com/michellecyca/status/1549404928786980868

Lots of primo poo poo in this one as well

I don't even know what fast fashion is but I'm quite certain it's bad because it's an extremely deplorable industry top to bottom

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

cowboy beepboop posted:

today while wheeling around my 4 month old in her pram multiple drivers appeared to speed up (towards stop signs) when they noticed me crossing. or happily made us wait in the middle of the road because they tore around a corner and had 'right of way' and therefore why would they let us finish crossing. never mind we were already well on our way before they even sighted us

this doesn't really happen in the US thanks to our 2nd amendment. An armed society is a polite society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

We need more pictures of cars hosed up by bollards imho

https://twitter.com/michellecyca/status/1549404928786980868

Lots of primo poo poo in this one as well

I don't even know what fast fashion is but I'm quite certain it's bad because it's an extremely deplorable industry top to bottom

fast fashion is poo poo like h&m, zara, a bunch of other brands that i guess are only popular in europe but surely there are equivalents in america as well. basically trash tier clothing that sells for a pittance and unravels within 6 months so you have the insane pollution and waste of the fashion industry combined with 1 year turnover forcing you to buy more more more. landfills in africa and south east asia, in countries unlucky enough to sign agreements with the west are now brimming with discarded fast fashion poo poo and we are wasting untold resources, esp. scarce water, to make clothing another yearly update service