Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Numbers are merely a fiction we invented to better understand our reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Numbers are merely a fiction we invented to better understand our reality.

And I will never forgive them for it.

Integers...more like intejerks.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
"Real" numbers? More like imaginary numbers amirite lol

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
wait gently caress

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The reason you don't want 1 as a prime is because you want prime factorisations to be unique and making 1 a prime destroys that.

But it's a ultimately a choice in definitions rather than some innate quality.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The only good thing math has ever given humanity is the "take a penny leave a penny" trays at gas stations. And even that is just a means to avoid more terrible no good math stuff.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

There will be permanent human habitats outside of Earth in my lifetime. I'd say two three generations and we'll have gotten the galaxy colonized.

I agree, assuming that some hyper-advanced godlike aliens stumble across us and take pity.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Byzantine posted:

I agree, assuming that some hyper-advanced godlike aliens stumble across us and take pity.

Maybe martians would do better than we done.

We'd make great pets!

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

But it's a ultimately a choice in definitions rather than some innate quality.

Exactly. Just start calling them exquisite-tea-primes and include one. No one can stop you.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

i have never seen or read "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy". nevertheless i am of the opinion that it sucks and is lame
I don't think this is an unpopular opinion, even among people who like it. Unless you just mean the first book, which is the best one. But of you mean the entire series/franchise, in aggregate, yeah it's loving terrible.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Makes sense given Adams worked on Doctor Who for several years and one of the Hitchhiker's books is based on one of his unmade Doctor Who stories.
Shada. It's the first Dirk Gently book, not a Hitchhiker's book.

Gaius Marius posted:

I'd say two three generations and we'll have gotten the galaxy colonized.
It takes light (ie. the fastest thing there is) over 100,000 years to cross the galaxy. Humans can barely even get to the moon, which is only 400,000 km away. Light can get there and back in under three seconds. Even the nearest star is an absurdly large distance away and we have absolutely no way of getting there, assuming there was even anything worth going for in the first place.

Byzantine posted:

It's an extreme long shot, but it's probably the best hope we have. We're not going to dig ourselves out of this pit. The people with the shovels are still digging us deeper, with no sign of ever slowing down.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tiggum posted:

Shada. It's the first Dirk Gently book, not a Hitchhiker's book.
Life, the Universe and Everything was based on Doctor Who and the Krikkitmen.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Square cafeteria pizza sucks. Even as a kid I didn't like it because the ingredients tasted off, probably because they were all artificial poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That seems like far from an unpopular opinion

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Japanese onomatopoeia for cat noises, nya, makes no sense. I’ve heard cats make all sorts of noises but nya ain’t one of them

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

That seems like far from an unpopular opinion

That honestly comes as a bit of a surprise, because I thought there was near unanimous love for cafeteria pizza. I thought I was one of the only '90s kids who didn't like it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess in the context of the school cafeteria kids like it but it’s all relative. I think even kids know it’s poo poo pizza but the other options are also gross.

The gross school cafeteria thing I always loved as a kid was the insanely overcooked spaghetti. Once every 5 years or so I’ll basically slow cook some spaghetti noodles in sauce even though I know it’s disgusting it reminds me of being 10 years old.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That honestly comes as a bit of a surprise, because I thought there was near unanimous love for cafeteria pizza. I thought I was one of the only '90s kids who didn't like it.

lovely or not, people tend to enjoy the foods they ate as a kid. You didn't get the pizza so you never acquired the taste but for someone for whom it was a regular meal, it's got a familiar flavor that "real" food typically doesn't. It's the reason why McDonalds pushed so hard in the 80s/90s to be a kid's paradise with happy meal toys and playgrounds. Get them used to cheap food early enough and you've got a generation who not only accept subpar food but demand it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

School pizza is fine. The BBQ beef Ribette is the Goat

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We had two different kinds of school pizza, for reasons I don't understand. One was the cardboard prison food squares, called "sausage pizza," one was circular and an absolute grease monster, called "pepperoni pizza." The second was as wet and greasy as the first was dry. The names were technically correct in that those were the toppings but like... they were so obviously not the same pizza supplier and I want to know why

Gaius Marius posted:

School pizza is fine. The BBQ beef Ribette is the Goat

if we're thinking of the same thing, that poo poo knocks McRib off the map.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Jul 24, 2022

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
There used to be this really crummy short order place by my work that sold those school lunch McRibs for like $2 each. They went out of business in like a year, but what a great year it was.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The traffic light song (and everyone's impression of what traffic lights mean) is wrong.

quote:

Stop says the red light
Go says the green
Wait says the yellow light
Coming in between
The red light is wait, the yellow light is stop. If you're approaching the lights and they're yellow, you should stop. If you're at the lights and they're red, you need to wait. Obviously you also need to stop if you're approaching and the light is red, but what does "wait on yellow" even mean? Wait for what? The only thing that's going to happen is it'll turn red and you'll need to keep waiting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've never heard this song. But in America after like midnight the lights turn to flashing red or yellow. Red is a stop sign and yellow a yield. So you would wait on yellow. More traffic spots are brining in flashing yellow turns to where you can go if it's clear

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

in America after like midnight the lights turn to flashing red or yellow.
Why? :confused:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

So you don't have to wait forever when nobody is driving

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also it's not every light like some universal rule. It's traffic lights in areas where there's practically no traffic late night.

Lmao if you break on yellow instead of gunning it tho

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Round pizzas are for suckers

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

round pizza's is how they getcha

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

The traffic light song (and everyone's impression of what traffic lights mean) is wrong.

The red light is wait, the yellow light is stop. If you're approaching the lights and they're yellow, you should stop. If you're at the lights and they're red, you need to wait. Obviously you also need to stop if you're approaching and the light is red, but what does "wait on yellow" even mean? Wait for what? The only thing that's going to happen is it'll turn red and you'll need to keep waiting.

Red is “traffic may not proceed beyond the stop line”

Yellow is “traffic may not proceed beyond the stop line unless it may not safely stop”

So yeah in theory people should be treating yellows like reds unless it turned yellow right as they got to the intersection

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Shibawanko posted:

i have never seen or read "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy". nevertheless i am of the opinion that it sucks and is lame

I think if you read it as a kid you in particular would like it but it feels like the type of book impossible to get into as an adult.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If you drive a car a lot you’re part of the problem and you’re killing this world

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Read it in elementary school iirc and the sequels later, and it's fine but maybe has too big of a reputation. I picked it out of the scifi library shelf without ever hearing about it so it "works" without any preconceptions.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Collapsing Farts posted:

If you drive a car a lot you’re part of the problem and you’re killing this world

Sure. But the same applies to beef eating or living inside a European or North American nation. It isn't us, but the systems we exist within and, even then, we as citizens have far less power to change things than we should.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Josef bugman posted:

Sure. But the same applies to beef eating or living inside a European or North American nation. It isn't us, but the systems we exist within and, even then, we as citizens have far less power to change things than we should.

The systems won't change in their own. I hate this "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" meme mentality that exonerates the individual Fromm doing anything - yeah it's true that all you do under capitalism has externalities, which is why you have a duty to push back.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The systems won't change in their own. I hate this "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" meme mentality that exonerates the individual Fromm doing anything - yeah it's true that all you do under capitalism has externalities, which is why you have a duty to push back.

Other than violence or the threat of violence systems will not change. The individual may have some responsibility, but people with more power and money have far more responsibility to change things than anyone working a job or driving a car to work.

What can you do to push back against the US military when it is the world's largest polluter? What can you do without money and time to solve things? You can know a great deal but, in a very real way, you cannot truly do anything about it. We are all forced to be casandra as we can do nothing to make others listen or change.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
You can drink and you can gently caress and then you can die.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Bunny ears is how I learned to tie my shoes, and bunny ears is still how I do them. If you think this is childish, or that I need to learn another shoe-tying knot, you can go to Hell!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Josef bugman posted:

Other than violence or the threat of violence systems will not change. The individual may have some responsibility, but people with more power and money have far more responsibility to change things than anyone working a job or driving a car to work.

What can you do to push back against the US military when it is the world's largest polluter? What can you do without money and time to solve things? You can know a great deal but, in a very real way, you cannot truly do anything about it. We are all forced to be casandra as we can do nothing to make others listen or change.

corporations cause 71% of worldwide emissions. obviously that can’t have anything to do with me wanting cheap gas or to not pay taxes on gas, free and abundant parking wherever i go, long and wide streets and highways to zoom up and down, a sizable house in a place where i have to drive everywhere by dint of the community's urban planning, or to drive until i qualify. no, i can't possibly be part of the problem here, why do you ask

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

corporations cause 71% of worldwide emissions. obviously that can’t have anything to do with me wanting cheap gas or to not pay taxes on gas, free and abundant parking wherever i go, long and wide streets and highways to zoom up and down, a sizable house in a place where i have to drive everywhere by dint of the community's urban planning, or to drive until i qualify. no, i can't possibly be part of the problem here, why do you ask

Very few people alive today had any influence on the creation of the suburbs. We have to live inside the systems built by the powerful for the propagation of their continued power.

I live in the UK. I don't have those things, we could have kept our trains going but they were closed down and sold in the mid 1960s. So much of it is bad because of people long dead and the best we can do is try and muddle our way through.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yeah I agree, companies in the global economy do not produce carbon emissions just for fun or because they are James Bond or cartoon villains--they do it to provide products & services for people living in the first world, at levels of service and at prices that people in the first world have become accustomed to. Consumer preferences are a huge driver of the global economy and are way under-rated by SA politics goons.

It looks like your list is a bunch of things for which you disapprove, but I suspect that there are a bunch of things that you like that generate a ton of emissions. For example, it is really hard to imagine how things like supermarkets and 'free' government medicine & healthcare could exist without our supply chain and industrial economy, which currently are heavily reliant on fossil fuels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Josef bugman posted:

Very few people alive today had any influence on the creation of the suburbs. We have to live inside the systems built by the powerful for the propagation of their continued power.

I live in the UK. I don't have those things, we could have kept our trains going but they were closed down and sold in the mid 1960s. So much of it is bad because of people long dead and the best we can do is try and muddle our way through.

People in the first world overwhelmingly want cars, suburbs, free two-day shipping, constant availability and access to almost any kind of consumer product, food, or medicine, etc. and companies are providing these things for them. The 1% didn't hold a gun to their head and force people living in rich countries to want these things or come to expect them.