Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Gaius Marius posted:

Playing an MMO should be seen as a warning sign for mental illness and dealt with accordingly

Post a popular opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The internet hasn't been a net bad for society, but I think Silicon Valley/the internet/tech in general has done at least as much harm as it has done good.

the tech industry is going to destroy us all.

Also I think the intenet has been a net bad for society tbh.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Jul 21, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

These wondrous devices in our pockets make us very easy to track, because we've traded privacy for convenience so that megacorporations probably know more about us and our habits than we know ourselves. Rather than using those devices to access a collective wealth of human knowledge, the massive amount of information has led people to cling even more tightly to stupid conspiracy theories and tribalism. Rather than amplifying truth, the internet has served only to provide a way for weirdos (e.g: flat-earthers, chuds, incels) to get together and feed their persecution complexes.

It's because we are just animals op and not some mystic flawless deity species

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
People at large could do great things for themselves and society but would rather game/stream/scroll

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Instead of working people seek entertainment?!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Let's just accelerate to judge dredd dystopia already

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

On one hand accelerationism is stupid and never makes anything better for anyone and never has.

On the other all of you should be forced to work in Gray office cubicles.

So this is, as they say, a mixed bag.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Irregardless posted:

People at large could do great things for themselves and society but would rather game/stream/scroll

This was true before the internet. People lack money, energy, and time, for the most part, and prefer entertainment to working. Especially when they have to work to not die, be it in capitalism or subsistence agriculture.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

poo poo I can't even think of a great thing I'd want to do even assuming infinite motivation

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

alienated as hell

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Aramek posted:

On one hand accelerationism is stupid and never makes anything better for anyone and never has.

On the other all of you should be forced to work in Gray office cubicles.

So this is, as they say, a mixed bag.

I don't understand arguing about accelerationism anymore. It happened, we accelerated. The acceleration is here and locked in.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Accelerationism isn't "things got bad" it's "I intentionally support things getting worse because that'll suddenly wake everyone up and then we'll have our utopia."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Aramek posted:

Accelerationism isn't "things got bad" it's "I intentionally support things getting worse because that'll suddenly wake everyone up and then we'll have our utopia."

yeah there are only bad options. The buttons available to us all make things worse on purpose. For gently caress's sake, the last US election was between Donald Trump and Joe Biden. And there's a good chance the next one will be too. All available paths for the immediate future are ones where things get worse.

Hell, hoping that at some point there will be an upswing and one of those paths will arrive at something better is the closest you can get to utopianism nowadays. The accelerationists have become the optimists.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i have never seen or read "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy". nevertheless i am of the opinion that it sucks and is lame

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

i have never seen or read "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy". nevertheless i am of the opinion that it sucks and is lame

I am going to allow this

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

"I'm the everyman seeing something ridiculous and I feel slightly put out by it!"

"Oh yes well I am the straight-faced voice of experience and I confirm quippishly that the ridiculous situation is how something works"

Those are the cliffsnotes for all british humor novels and radio plays from 1970-1995

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

This is how I feel about Doctor Who

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

I've bounced off it. Douglas Adams is fine, but seems to be something you have to come to at ~14, or it comes off a bit "the world ended because there was too many teabags in the sink, only smart engineers like me can see how stupid everyone is"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

See above.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Makes sense given Adams worked on Doctor Who for several years and one of the Hitchhiker's books is based on one of his unmade Doctor Who stories.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I will never stop lmaoing at being concerned at people liking the bad guys in star wars, like that's a political statement. "Took my kid to the store and they picked the darth vader lightsaber, had to put him down." "I keep trying to get games with my rebel fleet for Armada, but all my opponents pick empire. Is this game full of nazis??"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Shibawanko posted:

Ah, but have you LISTENED to it? It was originally a radio series and was pretty cutting edge at the time for its sound effects and production.

Also, the TV series, which used most of the original radio cast, is both strangely dated, but also timeless.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Shibawanko posted:

:hmmyes:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Same, except I've actually seen it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The old superman radio show is a great listen.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Manager Hoyden posted:

poo poo I can't even think of a great thing I'd want to do even assuming infinite motivation

Platinum Bloodborne

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Disco Pope posted:

I've bounced off it. Douglas Adams is fine, but seems to be something you have to come to at ~14, or it comes off a bit "the world ended because there was too many teabags in the sink, only smart engineers like me can see how stupid everyone is"

I first read Hitchhiker's Guide at 13 and it was a treasure for me for much of my early years. For one, it was a thing nobody else I knew was doing -- reading. Reading was for queers and poor kids who can't afford cooler poo poo. But that was also in 1997, and I was exposed to the Internet really for the first time, and what I discovered was that there was an entire world of people who all read the same goofy book and for twenty years we would loving reference it.

It's a thing I can't imagine getting into for the first time now. For one, the nonstop referencing, which is not quite as prevalent now, but it's still there. Like, I am sure Scarface is a fine movie, but I still haven't seen it. I've seen enough loving people reference it and quote it that I absolutely have no interest in seeing it. I just don't want to hear a quote from the movie and think, "Oh, that's another thing everyone I know has been saying randomly for my entire life. Oh there's another quote everyone has been saying..."

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

credburn posted:

It's a thing I can't imagine getting into for the first time now. For one, the nonstop referencing, which is not quite as prevalent now, but it's still there. Like, I am sure Scarface is a fine movie, but I still haven't seen it. I've seen enough loving people reference it and quote it that I absolutely have no interest in seeing it. I just don't want to hear a quote from the movie and think, "Oh, that's another thing everyone I know has been saying randomly for my entire life. Oh there's another quote everyone has been saying..."

That was how Casablanca went for me when I finally saw it. Still a good movie, but also I'd seen about half of it from random references before.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

the tech industry is going to destroy us all.

Also I think the intenet has been a net bad for society tbh.

Either destroy us or take total control of our lives. Maybe both!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's because we are just animals op and not some mystic flawless deity species

I used to be more of a humanist. I still say that everyone's basic needs (shelter, health care, water, food, clothing) should be met for free, but I have serious doubts that our useless species of pink apes is going to colonize another planet or manage not to annihilate ourselves.

This is getting pretty dark and cynical, so to lighten the mood: Together Forever > Never Gonna Give You Up (which is still a great song).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yep. 100%

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There will be permanent human habitats outside of Earth in my lifetime. I'd say two three generations and we'll have gotten the galaxy colonized.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The famous feuding clans in the sticks of West Olympus Mons, Bezos and Musk

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

there's no point to colonizing space so it'll never happen. there's nothing to be gained

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wrong.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The famous feuding clans in the sticks of West Olympus Mons, Bezos and Musk

I’m too far into Digimon fandom so I saw this and went “there isn’t a Bezosmon or Muskmon in the Olympos XII (a bunch of Roman deity themed Digimon)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

there's no point to colonizing space so it'll never happen. there's nothing to be gained

Maybe the Moon could be a tourist attraction.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The number 1 should be considered prime. I’ve read all the reasons why mathematicians exclude it from the set of prime numbers, and they are all unconvincing to me. Instead of saying okay okay but 1 doesn’t count for everything, they should invent a better rule. You can’t get much more primal than the number freakin 1! #mopa

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Byzantine posted:

That was how Casablanca went for me when I finally saw it. Still a good movie, but also I'd seen about half of it from random references before.

Same but with Citizen Kane and all the references came from The Simpsons.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Prime numbers are positive integers divisible by precisely two positive integers right? 1 doesn’t meet the requirements

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Get rid of all number honestly

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

Get rid of all number honestly

Your guess about space colonies is starting to make more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

christmas boots posted:

Prime numbers are positive integers divisible by precisely two positive integers right? 1 doesn’t meet the requirements

It must be divisible by 1 and itself. 1 meets both requirements.