Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Got a good start with Steel Jodoku. First island is perfected and I get a warp for the Gravity Mech (the passive bonus friendly fire-bonus is moved to the cluster artillery mech). Power cell on the ranged one so I don't hurt buidings with the bombs. Oh and a loving spear for the Grapple Mech and my pilot makes him fly.

Go to sand-landia, try to protect the renfield bombs and...oh hello there new antlion beetle (gently caress if I know) enemy that summons exploding rocks. Only two of them appear but they drop two rocks next to the bombs.

Did my best but the last turn ended up with 6 grid and both bombs lost. Yeah, gently caress you game.

The rocks don't explode on their own, just when they get hit. If you knock the beetles out of position, you can stop the detonation.

I know it's a little late now, and you might have figured it out already, but it helped me when I found out, so I figured I should pass it on.

Got to the final mission with four of the five teams, and won with three, including finishing the achievements for one of them. Not loving all the teams, and the randomization for getting the new pilots is annoying, but it's nice to be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Managed to finish an Unfair run with the Heat Sinkers after a few tries. Getting push on the quick-fire mech first thing seems to be a good way to give them that extra damage boost they need. Otherwise, they really scale well in the endgame, although my run may have been skewed by finding a conservative Chen plus missile barrage just before the final island.

Alkydere posted:

Go to sand-landia, try to protect the renfield bombs and...oh hello there new antlion beetle (gently caress if I know) enemy that summons exploding rocks. Only two of them appear but they drop two rocks next to the bombs.

Did my best but the last turn ended up with 6 grid and both bombs lost. Yeah, gently caress you game.

Yeah, this update has really made me reevaluate which missions I'm willing to take thanks to the new enemies, to the point that I'll even take up missions that only reward one star or grid power over certain missions like the Renfield bombs or preserving the volatile vek.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Only the sandlions will attack the rocks...intentionally. Others will gladly target them as part of an AOE attack. It's just really frustrating when they're both placed next to the objectives (which are also bombs). Objectives that the AI is attacking.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

It also pushed, I'm not sure if that was an additional thing or not now. But yeah it was Archimedes

It doesn’t normally push but archimedes can kill a guy and then move into his square

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Fire eating squad start awful but progress to utterly wrecking poo poo once you feed them some cores. First order should be the 1 core to give the ranged guys piss weak 1x2 attack some push effect. Then some additional range for the artillery then flame to fill up the the sad flamethrower guys empty flamethrower when you can afford it. This plus the boost he gets from standing in fire makes for a 3 damage attack on that turn + afterburn damage. Piss weak artillery guys 1x2 effect becomes potentially 8 damage(gaining an achievement) if you can knock gem into poo poo. Always be laying down fire tiles even when nothing in particular is happening in a turn just in case you want it later.

Every member of the squad has push, two members can coat the map in invigorating fire. They own. If you can get a weapon that gives pull to shore up that weakness even more so.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 23, 2022

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Finisher was a really cool ability to discover but then I tried the Mist Walkers and discovered the +1 damage boost also applies to self damage, which lead to the Jet not being able to attack without dying on the last turn and ruined a mission for me.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Darox posted:

but then I tried the Mist Walkers and discovered the +1 damage boost also applies to self damage

oh THAT'S why that poo poo was happening, man that was annoying.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I never got the impression that ITB was anywhere near as big a hit as FTL, so I'm amazed that they still made an advanced edition for it, four years later, and provided it for free to everyone.

I've played the Heat Sinkers and Arachnophiles so far, and hard mode seems easier than I remember, probably due to the new pilot skills. Looking forward to Unfair.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Hannibal Rex posted:

I never got the impression that ITB was anywhere near as big a hit as FTL, so I'm amazed that they still made an advanced edition for it, four years later, and provided it for free to everyone.

I'm not basing it on any inside knowledge or anything but I kind of think Netflix gave them a big pile of money to port it to phones and that prompted them to start thinking about the game again and they ended up making bonus content.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Is Netflix the publisher on this? Im confused why it keeps coming up

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's free to play on Android and iOs if you have a Netflix subscription. Apparently, they funded the Advanced Edition because someone there is a fan.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's free to play on Android and iOs if you have a Netflix subscription. Apparently, they funded the Advanced Edition because someone there is a fan.

99.95% of corporate sponsorships and games and poo poo: absolute garbage.
The 0.05% of the time: this beauty and Chex Quest.

There's a part of me that's half tempted to get Netflix so I can play the game on my phone at work. The issue is I'm pretty sure the game disappears if you cancel Netflix so I can't just pay for 1-2 months and then quit because Netflix has nothing else I want. But the fact that it gets this close is saying something.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love whatever person put the armored trains in. It's just so cathartic to see them smash through vek on the rails rather than crashing.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

FoolyCharged posted:

I love whatever person put the armored trains in. It's just so cathartic to see them smash through vek on the rails rather than crashing.

Yeah. It's a super fun, easy, badass mission. A nice breather..

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Now I just need Caves of Qud and Invisible Inc on my phone and I'm set.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Sticking Silica in the Bombling mech is unbelievably broken once you have the cores to activate it. Who gives a crap about moving when you're spewing four walking bombs onto the map every turn. Most of them you won't even detonate, they're just there to block shots, block spawns, and enable your other two mechs to do their thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Detonating bomblings is usually a bad play even when you're only summoning 2.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Holy poo poo, PITCHBOT! Why can't Steel Joduko's Grapple Bot be like you. Seriously, the fact that you can SELECT WHERE THE VEK LANDS makes its pitch 1,000 times more effective than Grapplebot's "No can do boss, no clear throw zone".

loving hell, wish the Grapple Bot's attack was upgraded with that ability. It allows so much flexibility.

As a side note: avoid fighting on islands with Armor Psions first with Cataclysm since all their starting weapons do piddly damage.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is the Switch version of Into the Breach a good port? I wish I did not have to ask but it is a bit of a crapshoot with this system.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the Switch version of Into the Breach a good port? I wish I did not have to ask but it is a bit of a crapshoot with this system.

It's perfect.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

It almost feels like it was built for the Switch originally. Switch version is rock solid and makes me wish there was a Switch version for FTL.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
how do y'all prioritise and plan around the incredibly limited number of power cores you get? you get so few of them that both saving and spending them is painful

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

redleader posted:

how do y'all prioritise and plan around the incredibly limited number of power cores you get? you get so few of them that both saving and spending them is painful

Three or four an island is a tight budget, but it's not too painful, especially if you luck into a reactor bonus on a pilot.

Spending depends on what you have, really. Every team has different demands. Still, getting a two or three damage weapon early helps a lot.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

always use your power cores asap. throw them on move/hp if you don't have enough for a 2/3 core upgrade you wanna get.

adding to move is highly underrated. the board is 12x12. if your mech are in the middle of the board (which they should almost always be) you can reach almost half the board. with a 1 move upgrade you can reach almost 3/4 of the board. 5 move is OP. My math is extremely off here, but it's the thought that counts.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

crabrock posted:

always use your power cores asap. throw them on move/hp if you don't have enough for a 2/3 core upgrade you wanna get.

adding to move is highly underrated. the board is 12x12. if your mech are in the middle of the board (which they should almost always be) you can reach almost half the board. with a 1 move upgrade you can reach almost 3/4 of the board. 5 move is OP. My math is extremely off here, but it's the thought that counts.

Isn't the board 8x8?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah

Movement is still king, though. It’s hard to give it a mathematical value, but it’s crucial for avoiding situations where you just can’t do the attack you want. I usually put it on all my mechs eventually, whereas health is optional (unless there’s some self-damage weapon).

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Of course I found one of the new pilots just after asking about it (as well as a cracked, glowing mountain)! I then had a mech wrecked and the pilot killed, only for me to accidentally repair it by stepping next to it with a pilot with a repairing trait. I thought that mechs were out for the mission if reduced to zero hp! Even better, the pilot survived the ordeal too!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I ought to stop thinking I should play Normal when trying a new squad for the first time because it's ended up being too easy so far with Bombermechs and Mist Eaters... but thinking I might have a harder time with the gimmickier sounding new squads like arachnophiles and cataclysm so don't really want to change it. New squads have been awesome so far though
How big is the gap between Hard and Unfair?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Got my first post-AE win with Cataclysm. 3x islands, Normal. The secret to getting them started was focusing on an island that comes with 1 HP enemies so you can get your drill going. First power core goes onto the drill for damage which opens up 2 HP enemies (psions are suddenly extra juicy targets when your drill can 1-shot them) and suddenly you've got a whole bunch of cracked tiles and death pits spawning everywhere.

It doesn't matter how much HP an enemy has if you yeet it into a bottomless pit, at least if it doesn't have flying. Managed to lob a boss into a pit first turn on one island that way. After that it's playing cleanup and defense with your pitcher bot (range upgrade on that is juicy) and giggling like an idiot as more and more bugs fall down holes.

...I might specifically have to do an Easy run to get the 20 mountains flattened with that squad though. Such a weird achievement.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Item Getter posted:

I ought to stop thinking I should play Normal when trying a new squad for the first time because it's ended up being too easy so far with Bombermechs and Mist Eaters... but thinking I might have a harder time with the gimmickier sounding new squads like arachnophiles and cataclysm so don't really want to change it. New squads have been awesome so far though
How big is the gap between Hard and Unfair?

Bombermech is gimmickier than Arachnophile, imo. They have a similar spawning mechanic, but the bomblings really almost entirely on swapping shenanigans while the spiders are more straightforward to use (just get a kill and earn a free pusher). Like, swapping shenanigans are so powerful that the team is probably better, but it's also by far the gimmickier of the two.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

redleader posted:

I think a major part why the game seems easier to me now is that they've rebalanced the power cost of weapons so you need fewer cores for a fully capable mech.

I just do as many 2-star or better missions per island as possible. Do all objectives for the extra reward at the end, even if you take some grid damage. There's no way to tell in advance whether or not a mission will have a drop pod, but collect all of them too. Try to unlock both perks on your islander pilots, because if they get the Popular Hero perk, you can trade them for 4 reputation instead of one. I rarely buy anything other than power cores with reputation, at least on the first two islands.

I also second crabrock, spend your cores ASAP. Figure out which unlocks are most essential for your current team, and if you can't buy that in one go, put the power into movement/health for now.

Another tip is to figure out which of your mechs will kill the most veks, and put pilots you want to train up in them. Especially earlier on, it can make more sense to stick your fully trained time traveler into the support mech.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alkydere posted:

...I might specifically have to do an Easy run to get the 20 mountains flattened with that squad though. Such a weird achievement.

I admit I did easy runs to clean up the achievements. That one is easier if you luck into the acid launcher mission. Basically gives you half the mountains you need to destroy for free if you get the reputation bonus.

Got the whole set, so now I can just do runs for the fun of it and/or high scores. Might even see what unfair is like.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

ovenboy posted:

Of course I found one of the new pilots just after asking about it (as well as a cracked, glowing mountain)! I then had a mech wrecked and the pilot killed, only for me to accidentally repair it by stepping next to it with a pilot with a repairing trait. I thought that mechs were out for the mission if reduced to zero hp! Even better, the pilot survived the ordeal too!

Wait until you try the hazard mechs. They love that trick.

The guy who thought they were weak made a lot more sense when I realized they might not know that dead mechs revive on heal. It would be a pretty bad team if you had to repair them up to nonlethal hp between attacks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Getting to the middle of island four doing the no deaths run on hazardous mechs and not seeing the lightning storm square :ferrari:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Clarste posted:

Bombermech is gimmickier than Arachnophile, imo. They have a similar spawning mechanic, but the bomblings really almost entirely on swapping shenanigans while the spiders are more straightforward to use (just get a kill and earn a free pusher). Like, swapping shenanigans are so powerful that the team is probably better, but it's also by far the gimmickier of the two.

Some other stuff like the science mech and that ricochet gun seem a little weird but will see when I get there.

Just started Cataclysm and it's a blast so far, love dunking Vek into bottomless pits

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Getting to the middle of island four doing the no deaths run on hazardous mechs and not seeing the lightning storm square :ferrari:

That achievement feels like it should be really easy, but then all it takes is losing focus for one move like that and then bam, runs over. That wonderful feeling when you go, "wait. poo poo. This won't kill!" while the jump mech sails through the air to its doom...

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Unsurprisingly, getting the item that causes smoke to damage Vek on the Mist eaters is really good. I was only playing on easy as I'm a coward though.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

unfair mode is actually loving hard.

i got to the fourth island on unfair riftwalkers but had a particularly bad map :(

ilmucche posted:

Isn't the board 8x8?

look here you little poo poo

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Got the passive which prevents all damage to your mechs during the player phase while I was running Hazard Mechs.

It was absolutely obscene. Dealing like 4 damage to a Vek and pushing them into one of my mechs, then having the blowback push my Brute into another Vek, causing no damage whatsoever to any of my mechs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Got the passive which prevents all damage to your mechs during the player phase while I was running Hazard Mechs.

It was absolutely obscene. Dealing like 4 damage to a Vek and pushing them into one of my mechs, then having the blowback push my Brute into another Vek, causing no damage whatsoever to any of my mechs...

I picked it up on Blitzkrieg and it lead me to my first Unfair win

the lightning mech was being piloted by that new pilot who get Boosted for free and I was just emperor palpatining my way through every map