Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Hadlock posted:

Is there a write up somewhere with the technical details on why they're switching engines?

Looks like the visual on screen rendering engine has stayed the same though (I guess it's just an STL viewer at the end of the day)

Just the slicing engine for perimeters. Cura came out with Arachne last year. As far as I understand it, it handles details by changing extrusion width when necessary. Older slicers have always just skipped lines that are too small, only printing things that are 2+ walls thick. The "print thin lines" options tried to force single wall extrusions, but the joint between a single wall extrusion and the rest of the print has always been awful. That's also how you get those really weird infill sections on prints that are ~2.5 ish walls thick. It does more things, here's Prusa's post and one of Cura's posts about it.

https://ultimaker.com/learn/3d-printing-revolution-continues-second-beta-for-ultimaker-cura-arachne
https://forum.prusa3d.com/forum/prusaslicer/prusaslicer-2-5-0-alpha2-is-out/

It's also hilarious to me that they're finally implementing something like Kisslicer's preload, about 5 years later.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Arachne is baller as gently caress and works especially well if you have pressure advance tuned. It basically eliminates gap fill. I'm thrilled it's in prusaslicer, I've been using the alpha since it was added and it just straight up makes faster, cleaner prints.

e: just anecdotally, it allowed me to switch from a .4 to .6 nozzle with zero loss in detail for what i'm printing, which i could not say for the previous version.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 23, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretty neat, I have been printing some highly scaled down car/truck frame/chassis recently and was noticing prusaslicer making some questionable choices on the thin narrow delicate sections. Last winter I attempted to make some holiday cookie cutters and yeah it does all sorts of wonky things with long wispy thin delicate structures, so this is very welcomed.

Thanks for the links

Also on the prusa link they talk about "lightning infill" which looks pretty cool, seems to generate just enough infill to support the top of the print, also drops print time enormously + cut down on filament usage dramatically

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

This is colored by line width so you can see how it's varying permieter width to eliminate the gap/fill:

W/ my .8 nozzle it shaved a couple of mins off of my benchy and improved quality in every way except for that cylinder in the very back of the boat, which winds up with a very thin wall and probably needs better cooling. I wouldn't have believed it was printed on a nozzle > .4 if I didn't know better, based on the definition of the text on the back (still unreadable, but trying to be letters again)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 23, 2022

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Hadlock posted:

Is there a write up somewhere with the technical details on why they're switching engines?

Looks like the visual on screen rendering engine has stayed the same though (I guess it's just an STL viewer at the end of the day)

My knowledge is that Arachne really chops off a ton of time when dealing with thin gaps etc. It's a new way of handling thin walls etc and dodging a lot of the zig zag crap you see on prints sometimes

This is a pretty solid summary of things, and I'm going to switching to Arachne and a 0.6mm nozzle asap on a few of my printers. Specifically my big Kobra max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgXM2zPusXo

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i would have called that title bullshit clickbait until i tried it.

it's still a little wrong, it's just that you can get nearly .2 details with a .4 now if you need it, and .6 will work for everything else like .4 does except much faster

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Honestly, unless you need really fine detail like legible text for a given print you probably could have been using .6 or .8 all along. This just improves quality a bit on fine details. It annoys the poo poo out of me when anything takes longer than an hour or two to print. Good riddance to .4.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’ve been using a 0.6 for a long time now and it has never really been a noticeable problem, except for prints with thin walls that PrusaSlicer just absolutely could not print

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

Fysetc is selling a superpinda clone now. I wonder how it compares to the genuine one.

Well, I've ordered 3 now so I'll see if I can figure out how to test them vs a genuine

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
This looks awesome. After just rebuilding my printer again for the second time after a second time a nozzle change caused a mishap I told myself I need to stop doing that, and was considering either a extruder upgrade to something like a revo - or buying a SLA printer and keeping my FDM one on a large nozzle.

This should do nicely to speed up prints and keep detail.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it's still a little wrong, it's just that you can get nearly .2 details with a .4 now if you need it, and .6 will work for everything else like .4 does except much faster

As someone who became aware of this today - is this default functionality or do I have to enable it somewhere?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Javid posted:

As someone who became aware of this today - is this default functionality or do I have to enable it somewhere?

Green the new prusaslicer 2.5 Alpha

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What are the odds it's coming to superslicer anytime soon or should I just up and change slicers again

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Problems with uploading files to Thingiverse and Printables are resolved today. :toot:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
On a resin printing note: a long while back, I sang the praises of using 3-in-1 oil/PTFE lube on the FEP sheet of whatever resin printer one might use. I'd seen other people on YouTube and elsewhere sing the praises of using PTFE lube on their FEPs and never having any failures after that, and like a lot of people I thought I'd give it a shot, with mostly decent results (but still quite a few failures as well).

Recently, I had an opportunity to re-examine and re-evaluate this step, and I've come to the conclusion that it is most likely just snake oil/a placebo.

The first thing that made me re-think this was changing the FEP on my Saturn. On a whim, I decided to grab some nFEP (either Siraya Tech or Phrozen brand, I forget which) and replace the FEP on the Saturn with that. I then decider not to put any PTFE lube on it after doing so.

The second thing was that, even after previously lubing the FEP on my Sonic Mighty with PTFE oil, it was still experiencing failures where the prints stuck to the FEP. On another whim, I decided to level the Mighty (and also the Saturn, too) using the "Flint Read method" of leveling the build plate with the resin vat in place (search for it on YouTube if you've not heard of it before), so that when you are leveling your printer, you're leveling it "to the FEP" rather than the screen with a piece of paper covering it. I thusly drained the Mighty's vat and thoroughly cleaned it out, without adding any PTFE lube afterwards, in preparation for trying this method out.

Thus far, it's been a resounding success; I just did a 12-hour print of a dragon on the Mighty last night that came out perfectly. Ditto for some WH40K stuff on the Saturn. Of course now I say this, my next print will probably fail, but oh well. :v: Figured I would share this with anyone having similar issues, trying the Flint Read method might be worth a shot (and you won't need to fool around with 3-in-1 oil on your FEP, either).

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've never used lube on the FEP. I don't see how it would stay on there to make a difference. If the resin solidifying didn't take it off, the mechanics of the plate seem like they would. All of which is also assuming it doesn't screw with the process of curing.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
A friend handed me a gear, I believe from a car power window driver, and asked me if it was something I could 3D print.

Spent a little bit of time reverse engineering this gear and came up with this using Blender.

Note one of the images is upside down (to show underneath) and the green is some mild supports I added, though I'm thinking I might not need them.

Curious to any printing advice when it comes to functional parts like this. I have access to PLA+ and PETG - I presumed I'd print it in the PETG and he can try that out in the car.

You can see the gears in the original part got worn down over the decades. I don't expect this one to hold up quite as well - but if it works he can probably send the file to someone else to print.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Isometric Bacon posted:

A friend handed me a gear, I believe from a car power window driver, and asked me if it was something I could 3D print.

Spent a little bit of time reverse engineering this gear and came up with this using Blender.

Note one of the images is upside down (to show underneath) and the green is some mild supports I added, though I'm thinking I might not need them.

Curious to any printing advice when it comes to functional parts like this. I have access to PLA+ and PETG - I presumed I'd print it in the PETG and he can try that out in the car.

You can see the gears in the original part got worn down over the decades. I don't expect this one to hold up quite as well - but if it works he can probably send the file to someone else to print.

You're going to have problem with them using a FDM process. Resin would be way better. Definitely prototype it in FDM if it's what you've got, and then send it off for SLS or resin.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Isometric Bacon posted:

I have printed quite a few gears like this in FDM and they work fine. I have some that have been stronger than the original gears as other parts of the gear train failed instead of the printed parts.

First, are those recesses in the face of the gear actually needed? Often those are just cosmetic or there for molding reasons. If you can reduce it to a flat face that will simplify things quite a bit.

Second, you don't seem to have modeled the teeth of the gear correctly. You do actually need to model them as the correct involute profile. If this is from an older american car, it is likely a 14.5deg pressure angle diametral pitch gear. A newer or non US car would be a 20deg module gear. I am pretty certain they are not right as your root width is too large. If you don't model the gear teeth correctly it might kind of work but will fail in short order.

Materials wise, PETG is better than PLA+ as it is tougher and less likely to shatter/strip. I prefer nylon for this application and these can be at least as strong as the originals.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

bird food bathtub posted:

I've never used lube on the FEP. I don't see how it would stay on there to make a difference. If the resin solidifying didn't take it off, the mechanics of the plate seem like they would. All of which is also assuming it doesn't screw with the process of curing.

As I recall, the idea was that you apply some to a microfiber cloth (or a shop towel or something similar) and then buff it around on the FEP, with the end result being a FEP that is slick so that prints won't stick to it. Of course, it fogs your FEP up a bit, but usually just bumping the cure time up a bit can fix that. I never noticed any issues with the prints curing as the amount of PTFE lube used wouldn't be enough to affect it (unless someone just left big drops of 3-in-1 oil on their FEP or something).

However, as noted I still had failures that stuck to the FEP even after doing that, but for some reason it never crossed my mind that it wasn't actually solving the problem (I was probably thinking "oh I just didn't use enough" or "I must've buffed it all out" or some such). After trying the Flint Read method of build plate leveling without using the PTFE oil, I basically realized that putting lube on the FEP is just some resin printing-related woo, and not actually a fix for prints sticking to the FEP.

Also I printed some more WH40K stuff on my Sonic Mighty last night, and it looks like it all printed OK, so I didn't jinx myself with my last post :v:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I used the lube a few times :quagmire: but I got lazy and stopped and didn’t have issues after that so I figured it was confirmation bias. Also, if you think about it, the lube would get bonded into the resin on your first layer, so it didn’t really make sense anyway.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sydney Bottocks posted:

As I recall, the idea was that you apply some to a microfiber cloth (or a shop towel or something similar) and then buff it around on the FEP, with the end result being a FEP that is slick so that prints won't stick to it.

Wouldn't the resin in the tank wash it off? Even if it didn't, wouldn't the first layer peel it off?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Wouldn't the resin in the tank wash it off? Even if it didn't, wouldn't the first layer peel it off?

Oh, I'm pretty sure it did; as the post above yours said, using it and not getting a fail was just likely confirmation bias, it very likely has zero impact on subsequent layers of the print.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ZincBoy posted:

Second, you don't seem to have modeled the teeth of the gear correctly. You do actually need to model them as the correct involute profile. If this is from an older american car, it is likely a 14.5deg pressure angle diametral pitch gear. A newer or non US car would be a 20deg module gear. I am pretty certain they are not right as your root width is too large. If you don't model the gear teeth correctly it might kind of work but will fail in short order.

This is correct info, gears are designed in a very specific way so that they mesh correctly with minimal wear

Nylon is the correct material to print these in

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So, trying to print out a status marker for effects during the middle of a game that I keep forgetting.
https://imgur.com/MIBmTH2
The idea had been to print two of these, then glue them back-to-back and sand the edges to make a solid whole with a round base and two faces. Finally worked it to where I want and printed off a test run. As it cures the resin shrinkage is causing the top parts to bow out and away from each other to a significant amount. I'm not sure any kind of glue will be able to overcome that. What are some options or techniques to deal with that and let me glue it together to get the finished product I was hoping for? The angle it ends up at when it's done doesn't make me think I can just sand it down like I thought yesterday, it got a bit more curve before it seems to have settled down.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Roundboy posted:

What are the odds it's coming to superslicer anytime soon or should I just up and change slicers again

It's guaranteed to eventually, since every Superslicer release is merged against a Prusaslicer release, I imagine it'll take a few weeks.
They already mentioned that the last stable release was going to be the last release based on prusaslicer 2.4, so they're working on it.

That said, I really like the lightning-infill type they added, a new infill focused on generating infill only to support tops and overhangs, for models that don't otherwise need it.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

The idea had been to print two of these, then glue them back-to-back
I hate it when someone responds to such things with "why do you want to do that" but......why do you want to do that? To make my post at least slightly useful, a photo of your finished print might help, maybe someone knows how to avoid the part being bent.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

I hate it when someone responds to such things with "why do you want to do that" but......why do you want to do that?
Definitely a valid question in this instance.

The idea had been to print two of these, then glue them back-to-back
Why not just print a whole one to begin with?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The front face has text and an icon on it that I really don't see working out very well in any orientation other than the back of each half flat on the build plate. I just don't see any way to support the text and icon if the entire thing is built as one piece so I tried bisecting it and building it flat. That part works great, the text is crisp and I'm happy with the icon, just can't figure out a way to keep the tops from warping.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Unless the text and icon somehow create a truly massive overhang, you shouldn't need to support anything. As long as the details protrude (or recess) 90 degrees from the vertical surface, and don't actually create an undercut that would for sure need supports, you might be surprised at how far out from the surface something can go before it truly needs to be supported. Is this a publicly available model? Maybe I'm just not picturing the thing correctly, I'd like to take a look at if possible.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I swapped out the .4 and .6 nozzles on my hot end heating block. Super easy. Finding where I put the silicone sleeve that goes over the heating block? I have no loving idea. Into thin air.

I am beginning to believe I either have a poltergeist or my brain is in decline.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I ditched the black sock that came with one of my dragons pretty quickly. Not by choice, but because it just disappeared when it got set down and I didn't find it for a month.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Dr. Despair posted:

I ditched the black sock that came with one of my dragons pretty quickly. Not by choice, but because it just disappeared when it got set down and I didn't find it for a month.

Did the lack of a heat shield damage your extruder assemble or gently caress up your prints? That's all I'm worried about. Otherwise, I want to try out this .5mm nozel.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Hypnolobster posted:

The PrusaSlicer 2.5 alpha is out and they've started using Cura's arachne engine. Made a pretty dramatic improvement in the quality of some of the small parts I've been printing lately.

I tried it with a 50% Benchy. I printed one with the regular version, and one with alpha. Definately a difference on small details. Standard version didn't even try to print the flag mount thingy at the back, alpha got it in there. It's niiiiice.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Did the lack of a heat shield damage your extruder assemble or gently caress up your prints? That's all I'm worried about. Otherwise, I want to try out this .5mm nozel.

I think I had a few issues where the heater was having a harder time keeping up with things without the sock, so I reinstalled a sock as soon as I noticed it was missing. I wouldn't run without a sock, especially since they're cheap and can save a lot of things when stuff goes bad (just get em in bright orange or blue or something).

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Dr. Despair posted:

I think I had a few issues where the heater was having a harder time keeping up with things without the sock, so I reinstalled a sock as soon as I noticed it was missing. I wouldn't run without a sock, especially since they're cheap and can save a lot of things when stuff goes bad (just get em in bright orange or blue or something).

I already ordered a 3 pack. That usually end the ritual and summons the lost thing.

edit: And the sock is to keep the head insulated for efficiency? I had not considered that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My sock got torn and I've just kinda shoved it back on as best I can. No issues.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I've really done it this time. It's not the work table, the floor, or the trash. This is happening too much.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Marsupial Ape posted:

I've really done it this time. It's not the work table, the floor, or the trash. This is happening too much.

Found it. I don't want to talk about. Poltergeists might be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Found it. I don't want to talk about. Poltergeists might be real.

Oh now you have to tell us where it was.