Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Shemp the Stooge posted:

It was the same for me. Specifically HL: Alyx

Huh, interesting. It's Alyx I'm seeing it in. That's pretty much all I've played on Steam so far, I'll have to check something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Anything cool to grab on this steam vr sale?
Got alyx, boneworks, walking dead saints, pavlov vr and beat saber

hear skyrim vr is pretty good if you install mods

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nuts and Gum posted:

Between this and Steams 'VR Fest', VR seems dead. We now need sony or apple to save it :cry:
Lol. I had like 2000 posts unread in this thread and that's why I jump to.

The last game I played was Alyx and sadly there doesn't seem to be anything major happening since then. Still it seems there's a decent stream of indie stuff coming out: https://www.roadtovr.com/vr-games-2022-quest-2-steam-psvr/

Other than maybe the Flight Sim VR but my PC struggles with it on a flat screen so that'll have to wait until 40 series.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sefal posted:

Pistolwhip is great. Into the Radius is basically Stalker VR and rules. Until You Fall is good.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Pistolwhip is great. Into the Radius is basically Stalker VR and rules. Until You Fall is good.

How is Red Matter?

genericnick fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 23, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

genericnick posted:

How is Red Matter?

Haven't played it, but from what I hear it's good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sefal posted:

The whole Skyrim mod thing is fantastic but can take a little while to set up (though it is automated.)
It's a game-changer and absolutely worth it.

Pick up Blade & Sorcery. Currently the best melee combat around.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Broose posted:

This VR fest is weird. Half the games are not on sale and a lot of them are years old already. Even the Index is still full price. Was there an announcement of something VR related that lead to this "Fest"? What the hell was the point of this?

For me it's just reassurance that I have most of the VR games worth owning already.

Not so reassuring is that the few games I don't have never, ever go on sale. I mean they're $30 already, but I don't always feel like dropping full price on any game unless I really, really need to have it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

The whole Skyrim mod thing is fantastic but can take a little while to set up (though it is automated.)
It's a game-changer and absolutely worth it.

Pick up Blade & Sorcery. Currently the best melee combat around.

The best "complex" melee combat. Until You Fall is also very good and fun, but in a totally different way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you aren't already, you should sub to Habie.
He's one of the most positive people in the VR community and I think deserves more love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-1jl1FrAOI

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Also since I'm getting my first VR thingy, how gpu intensive is the stuff usually? I've been pretty OK with my 2070 up till now and there doesn't seem to have been any big jumps in graphic requirements since Alyx came out. Will I have reason to curse crypto miners even more than usually?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You should be fine with the 2070, there's not much out there pushing the boundaries and I played more Alyx back when I had a 1070

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Some of the sims can really benefit from better GPUs, but other than that you should be fine at anywhere between medium and max settings. Depends on what resolution and framerate your headset supports.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

1060 6GB is pretty much the floor, maaaaaybe a 1050 for real lightweight stuff at garbo resolution, so a 2070 will be fine. I'm on a 3060 and it's doing me just fine.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

genericnick posted:

Also since I'm getting my first VR thingy, how gpu intensive is the stuff usually? I've been pretty OK with my 2070 up till now and there doesn't seem to have been any big jumps in graphic requirements since Alyx came out. Will I have reason to curse crypto miners even more than usually?

with a 2070S i can usually max graphics out and throw some supersampling on top just for the hell of it. you should be fine

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

genericnick posted:

I got by perfectly fine with a 2060 Super for a good two years, only just upgraded to a 3070. A 2070 should be fine for like 90% of VR experiences unless you really want to max out Half Life: Alyx or try some of the more demanding Skyrim VR prebuilt mod packs.

Also keep in mind that some poo poo is just poorly optimized, especially if you dive into mods for existing, non-VR games. You wouldn't get good framerates with some of that stuff even you had a 3080.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

chippy posted:

I only have it with AirLlink and SteamVR specifically. Oculus runtime stuff over AirLink is perfectly smooth, as is SteamVR over VD.

Same here, Space Sense gives me no end of issues on Airlink SteamVR stuff but VD is fine.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Same here, Space Sense gives me no end of issues on Airlink SteamVR stuff but VD is fine.

Sadly, turning off Space Sense makes no difference to me :/

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Alyx is also crazy optimisated for how good it looks

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Inzombiac posted:

If you aren't already, you should sub to Habie.
He's one of the most positive people in the VR community and I think deserves more love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-1jl1FrAOI

Habie is so funny, cos half of his stuff is him discovering something really well known for the first time ever and being SO IMPRESSED.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Finally got round to trying a cable and it does improve the jitter quite a lot, so that bodes well for a router upgrade improving it it I guess. It doesn't eliminate it all together which I found surprising, but probably gets it down to the point where you have to look for it to see it. It's like, if you look at something close up and move your head side to side, the edge is almost kind of vibrating. I put Alyx down on Low fidelity just to make absolutely sure if wasn't my GPU missing frames and it's consistent from Low to Ultra, it makes no real difference. So I still reckon it is at least in part due how to tracking information gets relayed through Oculus to SteamVR, but who knows. It certainly isn't present in Oculus runtime stuff. Tried out a couple of other SteamVR demos too and it certainly seems like it's worse in Alyx than anything else.

Anyway I'll probably shut up about it now, at least until I get a new router.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
What are poeple's go to games? For me its just beat saber really, I've played the good experiences like alyx but beat saber is the only thign I keep going back to. What about you guys?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Kwolok posted:

What are poeple's go to games? For me its just beat saber really, I've played the good experiences like alyx but beat saber is the only thign I keep going back to. What about you guys?

Pistol Whip for me. With all the different modifiers, scoreboards for each, daily challenges, it had a lot of replay value.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

HL:Alyx is the most "silent judder" game for me too, where I'm not seeing frame drops with the debug tool performance overlay but they're still definitely there when I'm spinning around just to test stuff.

It always would get fixed by clearing/disabling the guardian (I wish I understood what was actually going on with that bug, it effects me a lot) but last time I was testing things out even that didn't seem to actually help 100%. But just HL:Alyx, so I dunno if we're just on buggy versions of steamvr/the oculus software right now.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I also took the thread's advice and got myself a WiFi 6 router. I went from an an expensive D-Link AC router to the Asus RT-AX55 (I think it's the same as the AX1800) which was recommended by VD.

All my streaming issues went away. Very happy I can now play multiplayer games without that weird 5 second freeze/stutter at the worst possible times.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I've also been playing Serious Sam 2 VR. Such a blast from the past, translates very well to VR. :hellyeah:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Mostly Pistol Whip, followed by Synth Riders. I like my light cardio! :shrug:

Ran into an amusing frustrating bug today after I reinstalled and booted up Hitman in VR. My left arm was just kinda gone, and my right hand hung down like my wrist was broken. I couldn't take anything out of my inventory or pick up anything, just slap people around, and every single door was flapping open and closed. The broken arms I could kind of understand, like an animation glitch or something, but the flapping doors bug was really baffling. Hopefully it's nothing permanent.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Kwolok posted:

For me it's Echo Arena, I have the advantage of a big play space so that is a bonus. On the weekend I'll get 20 games in

Had Pistol Whip for about a week and I will play that every day on lunch break

And finally KingsprayVR it's a Graffiti sim that is a nice chill way for me to be creative and listen to podcasts

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I still love pokerstarsvr and rec room after all these years.

I tend to avoid f2p games on PC but something about the social aspect in VR I really like

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 24, 2022

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Kwolok posted:

Ragnarock

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Beer_Suitcase posted:

For me it's Echo Arena, I have the advantage of a big play space so that is a bonus. On the weekend I'll get 20 games in

Had Pistol Whip for about a week and I will play that every day on lunch break

And finally KingsprayVR it's a Graffiti sim that is a nice chill way for me to be creative and listen to podcasts

I wanna try echo arena but its not on steam :(

Thanks for all the suggestions, just picked up a few more titles becuase of it!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Alctel posted:

it’s a work of art

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Alctel posted:

Yeah, it's crazy how all it takes is actually having an engine with a VR optimized rendering pipeline. Too bad Valve is keeping it all to themselves.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Thanks everyone. I'll refrain from making GPU-related bad budget decisions for now.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

BrainDance posted:

HL:Alyx is the most "silent judder" game for me too, where I'm not seeing frame drops with the debug tool performance overlay but they're still definitely there when I'm spinning around just to test stuff.

It always would get fixed by clearing/disabling the guardian (I wish I understood what was actually going on with that bug, it effects me a lot) but last time I was testing things out even that didn't seem to actually help 100%. But just HL:Alyx, so I dunno if we're just on buggy versions of steamvr/the oculus software right now.

That's one I haven't tried yet. Disabling the Oculus guardian or the Steam equivalent? I wasn't aware that you could even do that. I'd like to give it a try although it couldn't be a permanent solution for me, I'd definitely run into a wall.

King Vidiot posted:

Ran into an amusing frustrating bug today after I reinstalled and booted up Hitman in VR. My left arm was just kinda gone, and my right hand hung down like my wrist was broken. I couldn't take anything out of my inventory or pick up anything, just slap people around, and every single door was flapping open and closed. The broken arms I could kind of understand, like an animation glitch or something, but the flapping doors bug was really baffling. Hopefully it's nothing permanent.

I have had my left arm disappear twice in Alyx and both times, it seemed to somehow be tied to the game save. Like I actually had to load an earlier save to get my arm back and then if I reloaded the later one it would disappear again..:psyduck:

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 24, 2022

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Kwolok posted:

As someone who just has a Quest 2 stand-alone, Walkabout minigolf and Eleven Table Tennis are great for me to hang out with my friend and just catch up. We both have kids and live about an hour away from each other, so those games are great background activities to shooting the poo poo.

We used to do Golf+ or whatever it’s called now (formerly TopGolf) for the same reason but walkabout is such a better experience if you want more than a driving range

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kwolok posted:

Synth Riders for me. The modding scene is really good as well, I'm currently trying to conquer Fur Elise Nightmare, which is aptly named.

If I'm just chatting with people then either Walkabout or Minecraft, both are nice and chill, assuming you aren't doing anything crazy intense in Minecraft.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Is there any advantage to getting the Steam version of Walkabout instead of the Q2 version?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay so hooking up a quest to a PC for steam games:

I know I can plug it in via cable, or hook up by putting both the PC and the quest on the wireless. A couple of questions tho.

Does any 3.1 usb A to usb C work or do is there some proprietary horseshit that makes the more expensive oculus branded one required?

For the wireless option:

I'm not a madman so my PC is wired into the router, but I guess all I need is to have the wireless router in the first place and the quest can hook up through that with no more issues? I know wireless is always going to have some degree of delay that a cable wouldn't but does it work out fine for most games that aren't too finicky? Like I'd imagine the precision needed for a rhythm game like beat saber might matter, but do most of y'all just use the wireless function?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Okay so hooking up a quest to a PC for steam games:

I know I can plug it in via cable, or hook up by putting both the PC and the quest on the wireless. A couple of questions tho.

Does any 3.1 usb A to usb C work or do is there some proprietary horseshit that makes the more expensive oculus branded one required?

For the wireless option:

I'm not a madman so my PC is wired into the router, but I guess all I need is to have the wireless router in the first place and the quest can hook up through that with no more issues? I know wireless is always going to have some degree of delay that a cable wouldn't but does it work out fine for most games that aren't too finicky? Like I'd imagine the precision needed for a rhythm game like beat saber might matter, but do most of y'all just use the wireless function?

I play rhythm games and competitive online shooters over wireless with no issue