Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Chest freezers go in the garage and store meat.

I don't disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Even the expensive ones break stupidly easy. Samsungs have notorious ice maker overflows and failures. LGs have compressor issues. KitchenAid is stupid expensive and puts the water dispenser inside which is a deal breaker for many.
While repairing our 1980s driers heating element, the repair man glanced at our existing appliance menagerie and told me straight up not to call him for LG or Samsung appliances.

So what did I do when our five year old bottom freezer Samsung fridge started building footprint sized ice on the bottom? That's right, I paid $25 for the repair manual and figured out on my own how to fix/clear the defrost drain that was clogged.

On one hand, I can understand modern unreasonable customer expectations being a huge pain in the rear end causing grief. I've also heard many stories of "had to replace the computer" and maybe there is very little mechanically in common with appliances between the 80s and now to make professional repair an always moving target and therefore financially unfeasible.

On the other hand, my amateur appliance sleuthing turned out to be the exact solution and three years later the problem hasnt returned. While I "only" spent $25 for the manual pdf, for the time I spent searching for it and the actual time disassembling, diagnosing, fixing, reassembling, verifying the fix, it would have been worth it to me to have an expert fix it for a couple hundred dollars.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

And homemade bread. And chili.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cheesus posted:

While repairing our 1980s driers heating element, the repair man glanced at our existing appliance menagerie and told me straight up not to call him for LG or Samsung appliances.

So what did I do when our five year old bottom freezer Samsung fridge started building footprint sized ice on the bottom? That's right, I paid $25 for the repair manual and figured out on my own how to fix/clear the defrost drain that was clogged.

On one hand, I can understand modern unreasonable customer expectations being a huge pain in the rear end causing grief. I've also heard many stories of "had to replace the computer" and maybe there is very little mechanically in common with appliances between the 80s and now to make professional repair an always moving target and therefore financially unfeasible.

On the other hand, my amateur appliance sleuthing turned out to be the exact solution and three years later the problem hasnt returned. While I "only" spent $25 for the manual pdf, for the time I spent searching for it and the actual time disassembling, diagnosing, fixing, reassembling, verifying the fix, it would have been worth it to me to have an expert fix it for a couple hundred dollars.

LG maeks a good washer and drier but their kitchen appliances suck.

Samsung just sucks at appliances across the board last I checked on consumer ratings sites and review sites. And the refrigerator I own, which also sucks but apparently retailed at 3k(came with the house). It's a French door model which places the icemaker in the refrigerator part, so it's a fundamentally bad idea and breaks a lot.

Bosch dishwashers loving own though.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Jaxyon posted:

:hmmyes:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Cheesus posted:

The economics are hard to make work for skilled appliance repairwork. I'd put the amount of knowledge you'd need to work on a useful variety of appliances as comparable to a plumber, and a plumber charges ~$150/hr (or way more depending on the area). Plus plumbing jobs are usually bigger so travel time doesn't matter as much.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:dadsay:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jaxyon posted:

LG maeks a good washer and drier but their kitchen appliances suck.

Samsung just sucks at appliances across the board last I checked on consumer ratings sites and review sites. And the refrigerator I own, which also sucks but apparently retailed at 3k(came with the house). It's a French door model which places the icemaker in the refrigerator part, so it's a fundamentally bad idea and breaks a lot.

Samsung actually has a pretty good reliability if you go by stats. Their reputation has come from their success, they make everything and sell tons, and we know people mostly only review stuff when they are unhappy. Bosch are the best for dish washers though.

The only thing Samsung actually does poorly is the kitchen stove.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And homemade bread. And chili.

They store the years harvest of berries.

Orio
May 16, 2022

Foxfire_ posted:

The economics are hard to make work for skilled appliance repairwork. I'd put the amount of knowledge you'd need to work on a useful variety of appliances as comparable to a plumber, and a plumber charges ~$150/hr (or way more depending on the area). Plus plumbing jobs are usually bigger so travel time doesn't matter as much.

This is pretty much it. A family member used to work as a electronics repairman, mainly fixing TV's and radios. It was good work in the nineties, but over the years the products became dramatically cheaper, while at the same time becoming much more complicated to repair. Appearantly manufacturers also became much more stingy about sharing technical details and schematics.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
from the shad thread

https://newsbeezer.com/czechrepubliceng/a-chess-robot-in-moscow-has-broken-the-finger-of-its-human-opponent/

According to the organizers of the tournament in the Russian capital, it was an “accidental” attack by the robot. A seven-year-old boy named Christopher, who, by the way, according to them, is among the top 30 chess players in Moscow under the age of nine, moved a piece on the chessboard earlier than he should, which led to the non-standard behavior of the robot.

The AI ​​robotic arm grabbed the young player’s index finger and squeezed his finger firmly. The people around the boy immediately rushed to help, but did not prevent the consequences in the form of a broken finger.

https://twitter.com/xakpc/status/1550224137041371144

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There's a term for this chess move

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mega Comrade posted:

Samsung actually has a pretty good reliability if you go by stats.
Samsung has a bad reputation because if your Samsung breaks you will discover that Samsung doesn't export repair parts to the US in significant quantities, Samsung certified repair people are scarce and also have trouble getting parts, and you are SOL.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Why does a chess playing robot need the strength of 3 people

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

Yeah, it's been a long while since I played around with one of those, but I'm pretty sure they generally have sensors telling you how much force/torque they're currently exerting, and consequently let you limit the maximum force you want to use.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AvesPKS posted:

It's to stop people from cheating.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

You think a robot should be as weak as a puny human?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Pretty much the number 1 thing that you learn about industrial robots is that they are not supposed to move when there are humans around and you need to control the area where the robot operates so that humans can't get there when they are not supposed to

So it seems to me that this thing was built by a moron

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 24, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Orio posted:

This is pretty much it. A family member used to work as a electronics repairman, mainly fixing TV's and radios. It was good work in the nineties, but over the years the products became dramatically cheaper, while at the same time becoming much more complicated to repair. Appearantly manufacturers also became much more stingy about sharing technical details and schematics.

And parts. There are very common tiny things that go bad (think individual chips) in a lot of stuff that are not commodity electronic components. They are worth a dollar or two at the most, so at $20 you'd think they could make money on selling them as repair parts. But often they don't, and you have to buy the assembly which is typically a board and usually the MAIN board. So now you're left with a $250 repair part for a TV that only cost $400 three years ago.

You have to think hard about it to even repair that yourself. There is literally zero profit left for an actual repair service to be able to perform this service.

How did we get here? It's not just that electronics have gotten inexpensive to purchase: they're being built disposable on purpose.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Motronic posted:

And parts. There are very common tiny things that go bad (think individual chips) in a lot of stuff that are not commodity electronic components. They are worth a dollar or two at the most, so at $20 you'd think they could make money on selling them as repair parts. But often they don't, and you have to buy the assembly which is typically a board and usually the MAIN board. So now you're left with a $250 repair part for a TV that only cost $400 three years ago.

You have to think hard about it to even repair that yourself. There is literally zero profit left for an actual repair service to be able to perform this service.

How did we get here? It's not just that electronics have gotten inexpensive to purchase: they're being built disposable on purpose.

While I don't disagree. I fix all my own stuff all the time. I also run a small manufacturer and even though our products are simple, to allow every component its own sellable sku within modern engineering and sales distribution is nuts. "The way things work" would have to change significantly to allow companies to do this easily. Most of the cost of products to consumers is the logistics chain itself, not the physical part.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlueBlazer posted:

While I don't disagree. I fix all my own stuff all the time. I also run a small manufacturer and even though our products are simple, to allow every component its own sellable sku within modern engineering and sales distribution is nuts. "The way things work" would have to change significantly to allow companies to do this easily. Most of the cost of products to consumers is the logistics chain itself, not the physical part.

I'm not suggesting everything on the BOM should be sold. But when you have a single chip that is taking out all of your 2+ year old TVs that you had made in some factory that nobody else can get there's no "stealing parts from another one that's broken a different way" because they're all broken the same way.

The logistics of this supply chain do not cost $249. Maybe they do for "small manufacturer", but economies of scale absolutely apply to this and LG, Sony, etc have that scale. It's also not a novel concept. It's been done before. All the way back in the 50s and probable before that. Back in those days is wasn't chips but things like hand rolled capacitors made on nerly a per product basis. RCA used to be just lousy with that. It's the exact same concept.

Yes, I'm using a very specific example here, but only because it's a very middle of the road common one that I've seen over and over again in the last decade or so.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Things have gotten a lot difficult to fix by yourself, even with the aid of YT videos and poo poo like that. It can be very tough to disassemble things and GET to the part you need to replace, especially with cars, and so often the faulty element is a computer part so unless you have knowledge dealing with things like that, then good loving luck.

I always TRY to repair my broken things first before I call a repair person and, typically, the cost of the repair brushes right up next to the cost of just buying a new __________. Nine times out of ten, even with the guides I look up, I wind up somehow making poo poo worse.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Things have gotten a lot difficult to fix by yourself, even with the aid of YT videos and poo poo like that. It can be very tough to disassemble things and GET to the part you need to replace, especially with cars, and so often the faulty element is a computer part so unless you have knowledge dealing with things like that, then good loving luck.

I always TRY to repair my broken things first before I call a repair person and, typically, the cost of the repair brushes right up next to the cost of just buying a new __________. Nine times out of ten, even with the guides I look up, I wind up somehow making poo poo worse.

The repair person is the landlord tho??? Like yeah rent is too much no argument there but repairs are at least included

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I fixed the igniter in my oven with the aid of a YouTube video.

That's the only thing that's gone wrong with any of my appliances. However, whilst waiting for the replacement igniter to arrive, I bought a toaster oven so I could, uh, cook, and the toaster oven is so far superior for everything except cooking things that simply will not fit in the toaster oven, that I haven't used the repaired oven since. I'm not making roast dinners for four.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

The repair person is the landlord tho???

Not if I own the house, no.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Not if I own the house, no.

Sounds like owning a house is a trap

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mandatory lesbian posted:

Sounds like owning a house is a trap

It absolutely is but you at least get equity out of your monthly rent payment.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also depending on when and where you bought your house, your mortgage payment is like half the cost of renting a comparable space, so you can use the money you save to sink into the rest of the poo poo in your house.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah mortgages don't go up like rent does and they're a lot cheaper than renting. my mortgage is around $900 depending on escrow and renting a similar size space in this neighborhood is well over $2000

if you plan on living somewhere for more than a few years, or if you've got kids and want to stay in one school district, then buying is cheaper in the long run. if you're moving frequently or want to retain the flexibility of being able to move, renting has advantages, because you have to throw a lot of money on the table to get a mortgage and it takes like five years before you break even on that compared to renting

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

yeah mortgages don't go up like rent does and they're a lot cheaper than renting. my mortgage is around $900 depending on escrow and renting a similar size space in this neighborhood is well over $2000

if you plan on living somewhere for more than a few years, or if you've got kids and want to stay in one school district, then buying is cheaper in the long run. if you're moving frequently or want to retain the flexibility of being able to move, renting has advantages, because you have to throw a lot of money on the table to get a mortgage and it takes like five years before you break even on that compared to renting

The other thing that a lot of “renting vs buying” cost comparisons frequently gloss over is that even if the rent and mortgage repayments cost the same, the latter has capital repayments which are actual wealth generation, whereas rental payments are just money spent by the renter with no longer term benefit. There’s a ton of these comparisons floating around financial social media accounts, but they seem to at least get called out as bullshit with increasing frequency.

Especially annoying are the ones that go “well one just has money going to the bank which is the same as the landlord” - ok buddy, whatever you need to say to keep your renters thinking like it doesn’t matter in the end.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah, that was the bullshit I extremely bought into when I was younger and literally had no other choice but to rent. And tbh I'd still be renting if I was on my own, only reason we're able to own is because my partner is so much financially smarter than me, a giant idiot.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 25, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Obfuscation posted:

Pretty much the number 1 thing that you learn about industrial robots is that they are not supposed to move when there are humans around and you need to control the area where the robot operates so that humans can't get there when they are not supposed to

So it seems to me that this thing was built by a moron

I think you will find that it is actually the 7-year-old's kid fault for interacting with the robot wrong

quote:

“There are certain safety rules and the child, apparently, violated them. When he made his move, he did not realise he first had to wait,” Smagin said. “This is an extremely rare case, the first I can recall,” he added.
Smagin told RIA Novosti the incident was “a coincidence” and the robot was “absolutely safe”.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Good news everyone: the robot was in no danger.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

withak posted:

Good news everyone: the robot was in no danger.

Hey it's pretty likely the kid would of broken the robots fingers if it tried to cheat.

That's just like how chess is played.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

dr_rat posted:

Hey it's pretty likely the kid would of broken the robots fingers if it tried to cheat.

That's just like how chess is played.

The scene in Darkman where he breaks the carnie's fingers for accusing him of being ahead of the line for the ball throwing game.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/fluepke/status/1549892089181257729

RIP to any sensitive information on Confluence, I guess? And also whoever approved and implemented this not-so-great-sounding idea.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I dont think it applies to their Saas, so all those thinga are true because they do none of them with their on prem solutions

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/fluepke/status/1549892089181257729

RIP to any sensitive information on Confluence, I guess? And also whoever approved and implemented this not-so-great-sounding idea.

This is in a Confluence plugin, not in Confluence itself, so only installations with that plugin installed are vulnerable.

Also, publicly revealing the password on Twitter is absolutely a dick move. The security advisory warning of the issue and the update with fixes had both been released before that tweet. but that person was apparently offended for some reason that the company was trying to keep the actual password itself out of wide circulation, and so they went to some effort to track it down and publicize it, giving users just a single day to update before deciding to pull "information should be free" bullshit on a backdoor password to people's systems.

https://twitter.com/fluepke/status/1550042659238170625

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Posting without comment

https://twitter.com/Spa_Eng/status/1551627809973485573?s=20&t=z9zlfsQWxykrZiXq3RzNFQ

He's totally going to try and do this nonsense