Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait you can look up license plates?

You can in DC. Go to the link below, then type in dc license plate GG5973 to find the details of the guy I was talking about. Almost 6k in tickets due, including repeatedly running the same stop sign and regularly going over the speed limit in the same area. No wonder he doesn't feel like he has to stop for a stroller in a crosswalk - he doesn't! Nothing is going to happen to him!

https://prodpci.etimspayments.com/pbw/include/dc_parking/input.jsp?ticketType=P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Canadians are obsessed with drive-through parks and with screaming Ableism every time they are asked to use their lard-riddled corpses to actually shamble somewhere

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Epic High Five posted:

We need more pictures of cars hosed up by bollards imho

https://twitter.com/michellecyca/status/1549404928786980868

Lots of primo poo poo in this one as well

I don't even know what fast fashion is but I'm quite certain it's bad because it's an extremely deplorable industry top to bottom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6R_WTDdx7I

Here you go. Depressing facts, delivered in an entertaining fashion.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

mortons stork posted:

fast fashion is poo poo like h&m, zara, a bunch of other brands that i guess are only popular in europe but surely there are equivalents in america as well. basically trash tier clothing that sells for a pittance and unravels within 6 months so you have the insane pollution and waste of the fashion industry combined with 1 year turnover forcing you to buy more more more. landfills in africa and south east asia, in countries unlucky enough to sign agreements with the west are now brimming with discarded fast fashion poo poo and we are wasting untold resources, esp. scarce water, to make clothing another yearly update service

H&M has bins where you can sustainably drop your month-old discard clothes. So you can feel good about shopping there, at least.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mameluke posted:

Canadians are obsessed with drive-through parks and with screaming Ableism every time they are asked to use their lard-riddled corpses to actually shamble somewhere

It’s incredible how much the Canadian identity circles around not being American when functionally there is zero difference and if you removed the border most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Apr 7, 2003

Canadian carbrain in action

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

cool av posted:

H&M has bins where you can sustainably drop your month-old discard clothes. So you can feel good about shopping there, at least.

Lol, there is no way that those garments don’t just end up in a cube in some underdeveloped nation.

Convenience is poo poo. I’ve started to realize that in the last couple years. If something is convenient, it has a cost that we just ignore. Rideshare, fast fashion, cars, whatever it is.

My GF’s sis’s ex has started to go down an overpopulation hole. That is such a bullshit cause, because it’s primarily because first world assholes just go hog wild on resources. Think about how many varieties and sizes of ketchup there are in your local grocery store. loving stupid!

I can’t wait to bike after a week of not having the opportunity between health and heat.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Canadian carbrain in action

I have a client that’s a sweet old lady that’s had some tough breaks. They’ve been doing Uber and apparently their weekly bonuses for completing so many rides have dropped from $200 to $10-$15. It is officially car-brained/poor financial sense to even consider Uber’ing, even if you own the loving car.

Just makes me think of the countless failings of government that led to this point between infrastructure, checks on corporate power, checks on finance, etc.

Sorry for the double post.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Riflen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6R_WTDdx7I&t=317s

Go to 5:17 for something relevant..

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I live directly next to a city park that I can't actually walk to because of this poo poo, so I never go there.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if i could safely bike to my local grocery store, or even walk, i would simply bring a backpack or wagon, or, buy less/make more trips. but also i like going to the grocery store lol.

just not driving there.

Apr 7, 2003

The "Atlanta" Braves just built a new stadium in Cobb County and the entire complex it's in is a shining example of 1988-era shopping center design

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

also i used to live in an idiotically designed suburb where you could see a target from the buildings parking lot but it was two miles to drive there, and that was the only way to get there because the apartment and target were both completely fenced off. as the crow flies it was like 1500 feet or something.

Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

also i used to live in an idiotically designed suburb where you could see a target from the buildings parking lot but it was two miles to drive there, and that was the only way to get there because the apartment and target were both completely fenced off. as the crow flies it was like 1500 feet or something.

Ain't just suburbs either. There's a bicycle trail that runs from here to Weirton, WV. First time I rode out there I wanted to hop off the end of the trail and visit Tudor's Biscuit World, a West Virginia Institution.

Whoops, can't do it even though Tudor's is less than 600 feet from the end of the trail because they never bothered to build a foot bridge over that creek. You have to go back a bit and ride ~2.1 miles over West Virginia highway to get there.

In the five years since they haven't bothered finishing a pedestrian route across that stream.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Get a pruning saw and make a path through that treeline IMO.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I live directly next to a city park that I can't actually walk to because of this poo poo, so I never go there.

Be the change you want to be and make your own ramshackle pedestrian bridge from 2x4. Or cut through the woods that are blocking your way like Paul Bunyan.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Be the change you want to be and make your own ramshackle pedestrian bridge from 2x4. Or cut through the woods that are blocking your way like Paul Bunyan.

You have to cut through someone's property to get down there because our street wasn't designed in a way that connects to the obvious public amenity right next to it. However the city did just clear an easement by someone's house, so maybe I could cut through there. It's not technically private property!

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I like carrying groceries back and lugging them up the stairs. you can feel the ab burn

Apr 7, 2003

I admire the average American’s dedication to never exert any physical effort ever

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Superyachts are bad in more obvious ways than cars but this para felt familiar

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/07/25/the-haves-and-the-have-yachts posted:

At the Palm Beach show, I lingered in front of a gracious vessel called Namasté, until I was dissuaded by a wooden placard: “Private yacht, no boarding, no paparazzi.” In a nearby berth was a two-hundred-and-eighty-foot superyacht called Bold, which was styled like a warship, with its own helicopter hangar, three Sea-Doos, two sailboats, and a color scheme of gunmetal gray. The rugged look is a trend; “explorer” vessels, equipped to handle remote journeys, are the sport-utility vehicles of yachting.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

distortion park posted:

Superyachts are bad in more obvious ways than cars but this para felt familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZ-RgkjmdA

There's actually a walkthrough of that yacht

Neat

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

walking with groceries leads to healthier buying habits too, you start to question if carrying litres of sugar water is worth the effort

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Riflen posted:

5-6 new clothing items a week? wtf

since covid started I've gotten two really nice polo shirts (as a gift), one pair of shorts, some socks, and one pair of shoes after the previous ones finally disintegrated.

I do have several pairs of nice selvedge denim, but I have someone that repairs them for me every so often, so I haven't bought a new pair in like 5-6 years

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mortons stork posted:

fast fashion is poo poo like h&m, zara, a bunch of other brands that i guess are only popular in europe but surely there are equivalents in america as well. basically trash tier clothing that sells for a pittance and unravels within 6 months so you have the insane pollution and waste of the fashion industry combined with 1 year turnover forcing you to buy more more more. landfills in africa and south east asia, in countries unlucky enough to sign agreements with the west are now brimming with discarded fast fashion poo poo and we are wasting untold resources, esp. scarce water, to make clothing another yearly update service

there are things I have from h&m and Zara in my closet right now I’ve been wearing since 2013. please don’t disparage the brands if you don’t know. it’s very unfair to the brands!!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Won't someone please think of the brands!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

withak posted:

Won't someone please think of the brands!

I think Americans just like running over their clothes with cars or something. I’ve never had clothing really fall apart.

Apr 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I think Americans just like running over their clothes with cars or something. I’ve never had clothing really fall apart.

I take pretty good care of my clothes, I've had a few pairs of shoes for over a decade. Some stuff just falls apart because it's cheap poo poo.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I take pretty good care of my clothes, I've had a few pairs of shoes for over a decade. Some stuff just falls apart because it's cheap poo poo.

it’s possible the world sends garbage clothes to America and keeps the good stuff for themselves

Apr 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

it’s possible the world sends garbage clothes to America and keeps the good stuff for themselves

That or Americans just aren't willing to pay what good clothes cost anymore (or can't). The direct Lands End Supima Cotton men's shirts are $50+ MSRP and they've been fine for me, anything mass market from Kohls or Macy's or the like either loses buttons or rips in a perpendicular line at the elbows after a month.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

mortons stork posted:

My brain is so broken by fast fashion I don't even have an idea of how long a pair of pants *should* last, 1~2 years is just what I expect. What (north american) stores sell something better? Besides Dickies. I cannot sell myself as a guy who wears pants with a hammer loop.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

I am european fwiw and i have never had any fast fashion clothes endure more than a year or two. They are just made of flimsy stuff, and its quite noticeable feeling them and then comparing to better clothes

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

dryers gently caress up clothes pretty bad, even cheap stuff can last a bit longer if you air dry it

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

mawarannahr posted:

there are things I have from h&m and Zara in my closet right now I’ve been wearing since 2013. please don’t disparage the brands if you don’t know. it’s very unfair to the brands!!

Congrats those were made by actual slaves. H&M had a whole "we don't use slaves any more" thing specifically because they got called out for using slaves

Apr 7, 2003

Samuel Glompers posted:

My brain is so broken by fast fashion I don't even have an idea of how long a pair of pants *should* last, 1~2 years is just what I expect. What (north american) stores sell something better? Besides Dickies. I cannot sell myself as a guy who wears pants with a hammer loop.

Decent cotton or wool pants will last a very long time if, as said above, you hang them to dry (or dry-clean for wool).

IME what blasted my work pants out fast was lovely work chairs, turns out coarse material eats the fabric off your waistband and belt loops pretty fast.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Ain't just suburbs either. There's a bicycle trail that runs from here to Weirton, WV. First time I rode out there I wanted to hop off the end of the trail and visit Tudor's Biscuit World, a West Virginia Institution.

Whoops, can't do it even though Tudor's is less than 600 feet from the end of the trail because they never bothered to build a foot bridge over that creek. You have to go back a bit and ride ~2.1 miles over West Virginia highway to get there.

In the five years since they haven't bothered finishing a pedestrian route across that stream.

just ford that crick like in oregan trail, them biscuits are worth it

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Samuel Glompers posted:

There's some high tech stuff that'll last forever like https://outlier.nyc/ but it's expensive as hell. I have one pair of pants from them that are the softest things I've ever worn, are waterproof, and are still working great after 5 years. No idea what their tshirts are like because lol $80 tshirt but maybe they are the best thing ever idk

Apr 7, 2003

Maed posted:

There's some high tech stuff that'll last forever like https://outlier.nyc/ but it's expensive as hell. I have one pair of pants from them that are the softest things I've ever worn, are waterproof, and are still working great after 5 years. No idea what their tshirts are like because lol $80 tshirt but maybe they are the best thing ever idk

I worry about clothes lasting a while when it's important what they look like and the cost of acquisition is high and that's almost entirely work poo poo for me

and a good pair of wool work pants will always set you back $100+

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dog Case posted:

Congrats those were made by actual slaves. H&M had a whole "we don't use slaves any more" thing specifically because they got called out for using slaves

they’re made in the country where I was living :shrug:

larper
Apr 9, 2019

I bet you can sneak through that train yard, there's what looks like a car bridge into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

larper posted:

I bet you can sneak through that train yard, there's what looks like a car bridge into it.

You can't see it on the map but it's got a concertina wire fence, it's a ArcelorMittal yard.