Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
did the 10 billion dollar satellite actually take colour pics, or are they photo shopped like usual

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The brighter one is webb, and the darker one is hubble. Lol

lmfao

ten billion dollar wallpaper generator

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Smythe posted:

id love to meet an alien

the first thing they say when they meet you is "take me to your dealer"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

exmarx posted:

did the 10 billion dollar satellite actually take colour pics, or are they photo shopped like usual

its photoshopped because space is fake, and a conspiracy created by NASA so they could ask for more money

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It is NOT photoshopped, I can tell from the pixels. They use practical effects.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the first thing they say when they meet you is "take me to your dealer"

LOL yea they LOVe to SMOKE WEED!! Aliens come to earth for the WEED! hahaha. I love WEED. 420 bro! gently caress off.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that’s not chill. you aren’t being a stone cold chiller right now dude.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
weed people and weed culture is loving fail

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its photoshopped because space is fake, and a conspiracy created by NASA so they could ask for more money

I tried to find something about the benefits conferred by Hubble research unto society and the only thing I found was pages and pages of posts on Reddit about its importance to the human spirit and its modest budget relative to all government spending.

i couldn’t find any concrete examples of better lenses or whatever doing things for working people. i assume anything good will be patented and sold to Jeff Bezos or whatever. i assume it’s a jobs program for the children of high earners, like most science these days. I hope I’m wrong.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

mawarannahr posted:

I tried to find something about the benefits conferred by Hubble research unto society and the only thing I found was pages and pages of posts on Reddit about its importance to the human spirit and its modest budget relative to all government spending.

i couldn’t find any concrete examples of better lenses or whatever doing things for working people. i assume anything good will be patented and sold to Jeff Bezos or whatever. i assume it’s a jobs program for the children of high earners, like most science these days. I hope I’m wrong.

space telescopes are cool and cost like $5

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Smythe posted:

space telescopes are cool and cost like $5

most people would rather have half life 3

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

mawarannahr posted:

most people would rather have half life 3

no relation to one another

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Smythe posted:

no relation to one another

the government should take it over and finish it!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Smythe posted:

i think i agree tbh, stoners are the modern-day reactionary hippies of the 60's.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Smythe posted:

LOL yea they LOVe to SMOKE WEED!! Aliens come to earth for the WEED! hahaha. I love WEED. 420 bro! gently caress off.

u okay?

uve been on edge since your zoomer gf left u

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

mawarannahr posted:

There's very little in space telescopes that's remotely useful to non-space/science applications. Precision optics, efficient, reliable cryocoolers, sensitive IR detectors...yeah, not really valuable there. If you're talking about Hubble astro research, that's science and its contribution to society is just generating culture.

In general, the past decade of spaceflight has been kind of the opposite of the past. Big VC money comes in and puts money down on commercializing "higher risk" (off-the-shelf) products for spaceflight. It lowers everyone's costs, resulting in more spaceflight opportunities.

In some cross-cutting tech areas, like autonomy, industry has a clear lead but NASA is investing in applications that aren't really business-viable but can help develop new products in the long-run.

At this point, government civil spaceflight is hemorrhaging engineers to other industries. I think that might be the best benefit.

e: it's pretty safe to say that NASA piggybacks on technology investments made by DoD when it comes to space telescopes (the work of L3/Harris, spacecraft vendors). The story of WFIRST/Roman is a good example of that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Grace_Roman_Space_Telescope#Development_of_mission

guidoanselmi has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Jul 23, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

weed people are like 00s atheist people. they’ve got a point but it’s buried under a mountain of bullshit and they’re probably racist

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

indigi posted:

weed people are like 00s atheist people. they’ve got a point but it’s buried under a mountain of bullshit and they’re probably racist

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

We need to destroy space

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Karl Barks posted:

We need to destroy space

this earth supremacist hate speech will be bannable in 50 years. just you wait

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
ITT leftists don't like space because it has a poor short-term return on investment, also something about rocks being colonized peoples.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

unwantedplatypus posted:

ITT leftists don't like space because it has a poor short-term return on investment, also something about rocks being colonized peoples.

space is gay

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why do you think we want to go so badly

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mawarannahr posted:

the government should take it over and finish it!

They can't finish... what hasn't yet been started

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I for one think we should cover the sun in a dyson sphere in order to power our Communist utopia.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Danann posted:

I for one think we should cover the sun in a dyson sphere in order to power our Communist utopia.

The other advantage is to hide our star from the von neuman berserkers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hello, Neuman

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i like space pictures, bc i can look at the billions of stars out there and think, lol, look at all these timid lurkers too scared to post

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Breakfast All Day posted:

i like space pictures, bc i can look at the billions of stars out there and think, lol, look at all these timid lurkers too scared to post

our military is definitely not equipped to handle lurkers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

every time i try to play an otherworldly civilization in war thunder they bitch about ping

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

time for a forums invasion of the ET SA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

500 good dogs posted:

our military is definitely not equipped to handle lurkers

All our defensive matrices do is give the wearer cancer

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

mawarannahr posted:

There is no actual physical benefit to any laborer if that is what you are asking, it's mostly just cultural/human advancement stuff. There is a lot we don't know about the universe, and most of our theories always break when you try to explain something like a black hole. It's just stuff that is fun to think about/explore e.g. one of the theories about the center of a black hole is that it's an extremely small star.

It was only this year that we actually confirmed there was a black hole in the center of our galaxy.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Smythe posted:

nobody said weed maybe tje aliens want to smoke crystal meth

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

space telescopes are cool and compared to a lot of other boondoggle space bullshit pretty cheap and simple so i think its good they are taking cool pictures of ancient galaxies and such

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tbh I'm surprised we haven't gone whole hog into asteroid mining because that solves a lot of problems

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Tbh I'm surprised we haven't gone whole hog into asteroid mining because that solves a lot of problems

like what?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

too far away
too hard to get the good stuff up there down here
too hard to use the stuff up there if you don't want to bring it down here

asteroid mining and space industry would solve a lot of problems but it'd have to be done the right way and, more importantly, would take generations to really get going to the point where you'd see a significant return on your investment and for these reasons is impossible under capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

indigi posted:

like what?