Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kwolok posted:

What are poeple's go to games? For me its just beat saber really, I've played the good experiences like alyx but beat saber is the only thign I keep going back to. What about you guys?

Yea, Beat Saber is my go-to. I would probably play Pistol Whip more, but while BS has N good songs PW only has 1 good song :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Agent355 posted:

Does any 3.1 usb A to usb C work or do is there some proprietary horseshit that makes the more expensive oculus branded one required?

There's nothing proprietary, other than you want "good quality."

You do not have to use the oculus branded one and with any other good quality USB3 cable (like, don't use your phone charger cable I guess) it will likely be no different from the Oculus one.

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020
VR is dead cos no one did a proper large-fov headset, like another 20-30 degrees over the index with solid overlap and no stupid distortions like pimax or lens blur or eyestrain also like Pimax. Prove me wrong.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You don't even need 3.0, I've used 2.0 cables without issue. I think before the Q1 was discontinued Link was updated to work with the Q1's nice long charging cable. You probably still want a 3.0 cable but anything that has a USB-C connector on the end will work.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

BrainDance posted:

There's nothing proprietary, other than you want "good quality."

You do not have to use the oculus branded one and with any other good quality USB3 cable (like, don't use your phone charger cable I guess) it will likely be no different from the Oculus one.

There is a slight difference - it's fibre-optic so it's a lot lighter and more flexible than a standard cable. But it should perform the same as a decent quality USB3 cable as you say.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Agent355 posted:

For the wireless option:

I'm not a madman so my PC is wired into the router, but I guess all I need is to have the wireless router in the first place and the quest can hook up through that with no more issues? I know wireless is always going to have some degree of delay that a cable wouldn't but does it work out fine for most games that aren't too finicky? Like I'd imagine the precision needed for a rhythm game like beat saber might matter, but do most of y'all just use the wireless function?

Yes, that is the most simple option. It can work fine, depending on how many other wireless devices you and your neighbours have. Try to use a 5 GHz channel that none of your neighbours use. The next step up is to get a second router and cofigure it as access point for the Quest alone. You can also wire your PC to this access point and wire the AP to your internet router.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

DoctorRobert posted:

VR is dead cos no one did a proper large-fov headset, like another 20-30 degrees over the index with solid overlap and no stupid distortions like pimax or lens blur or eyestrain also like Pimax. Prove me wrong.

Super wide fov is absolutely a cool feature. It's just not a particularly important one to nail up front in terms of VR development despite what some naively think

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If we’re listing reasons why VR is dead it’s because no one has come up with a killer app besides beatsaber.

By “killer app” I mean something people want to play so badly that they will buy the hardware to do it. Alyx maybe got close, gorilla tag too possibly, but I feel like those were more killer apps for people who already had bought in. I know people who know zero about VR and have heard of beat saber.

So people keep cloning beatsaber and shoving VR into 2D games and it’s not working.

Sims (flying and driving) are the only thing where throwing VR on top of the 2D game actually works and adds to the experience.

But I also don’t think VR is dead.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 24, 2022

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

DoctorRobert posted:

VR is dead because facebook bought up all the developers and engineers, and everyone else is just waiting for them to crash.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kwolok posted:

What are poeple's go to games? For me its just beat saber really, I've played the good experiences like alyx but beat saber is the only thign I keep going back to. What about you guys?

Elite: Dangerous, No Man's Sky, Skyrim VR, VRChat, Pokerstars VR would be the things I have the most time on. I just got it, but I could see adding Vermillion to the bunch since I've been enjoying it a lot. I don't know if there's any connective tissue between all of those other than they are more of experiences or worlds that I can stay immersed in for a long time, rather than arcade games or games that you quickly beat and move on from. Well, I guess technically Skyrim is a game you can beat, but who ever does?

If the truck simulator games didn't make me immensely car sick, they'd probably be on the list.

Oh and Supernatural but that really doesn't count since its more of a regular workout thing and less of just a game.

boloney
May 29, 2021
I'm amazed that Beat Saber is so popular, considering how bad the song selection is. Yes, I want to dance to... dubstep?? And Green Day?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why wouldn't a subgenre of EDM be used for "dancing" to :confused:

Green Day's definitely trash though :smugdog:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Yea, Beat Saber is my go-to. I would probably play Pistol Whip more, but while BS has N good songs PW only has 1 good song :(

That is the wrongest opinion I have seen in this entire thread.

... it has 2 good songs :negative:

boloney
May 29, 2021

Sab669 posted:

Why wouldn't a subgenre of EDM be used for "dancing" to :confused:

Green Day's definitely trash though :smugdog:

I guess you could argue that dubstep is technically EDM but it kinda seems like the worst possible subgenre of EDM for this game? And I actually like Green Day, but it's also not dance music. It's just weird they didn't go for catchy/poppy stuff

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Does revive still work for the index? I really don't want to support Oculus but there are some titles that are only there.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Perestroika posted:

That is the wrongest opinion I have seen in this entire thread.

... it has 2 good songs :negative:

What's the other good one? Only track I recall really enjoying was the first

And also I mean plenty of the songs in Beat Saber aren't even dubstep. It's been quite a while since I played but skimming the list of tracks - Be There For You, Elixia, I Need You, Reason For Living, Full Charge are all definitely not dubstep.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
God this heavy bass 4 on the floor music is so bad for dancing

Lmao goons.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I think a ton of the appeal of stuff like Guitar Hero was it had songs practically everyone knew. I listen to a ton of music and had never heard of any of the artists on the base game of BeatSaber.

I get that it’s not Activision and can’t spring for Rush or Metallica but it really cut my time with the game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sab669 posted:

What's the other good one? Only track I recall really enjoying was the first

And also I mean plenty of the songs in Beat Saber aren't even dubstep. It's been quite a while since I played but skimming the list of tracks - Be There For You, Elixia, I Need You, Reason For Living, Full Charge are all definitely not dubstep.

For me it's the two from the Western DLC: Short Change Hero and Not Dead Yet. They also feel way better for getting you to stick to the rhythm with your shots.

But yeah, I really wish Pistol Whip had a larger variety of genres, and also preferably also somewhat less abstract levels.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea unfortunately the recording industry just makes it prohibitively expensive to make a game with a wide reaching library.

I never got into DDR but didn't that also largely have much less popular music?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Audica doesn't get much love as it's not as much of a workout as most music games in VR but it's a very tight experience that is really similar to learning a whole new skill in Guitar Hero rather than doing physical movements. Learning the 'language' of the game is just about as hard as actually hitting the shots.

But once you get there the hard mode songs are very very well mapped and a ton of fun to, if not dance , still really get into physically with bobs and shoulder shimmys.

Audica also has by FAR the best selection of built in music of any VR game. Like by far. I really wonder about the licensing deals Harmonix got vs the titles' sales

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The Walrus posted:

Audica doesn't get much love as it's not as much of a workout as most music games in VR but it's a very tight experience that is really similar to learning a whole new skill in Guitar Hero rather than doing physical movements. Learning the 'language' of the game is just about as hard as actually hitting the shots.

But once you get there the hard mode songs are very very well mapped and a ton of fun to, if not dance , still really get into physically with bobs and shoulder shimmys.

Audica also has by FAR the best selection of built in music of any VR game. Like by far. I really wonder about the licensing deals Harmonix got vs the titles' sales

Agreed! Better than beat saber.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Perestroika posted:

For me it's the two from the Western DLC: Short Change Hero and Not Dead Yet. They also feel way better for getting you to stick to the rhythm with your shots.

But yeah, I really wish Pistol Whip had a larger variety of genres, and also preferably also somewhat less abstract levels.

not dead yet kicks rear end. Really feels like the creators learned all the right lessons from the base game if the western dlc is anything to go by

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

If I'm only going to get one of these, which should it be: Tempestfall or Master Bladesmith or Boneworks?

Kwolok posted:

Pistolwhip.
Soundboxing.
I still boot up Space Pirate Trainer and the bow-based castle defense Lab mini-game every so often. They're really well done and fun to go back to.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 25, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Beat Saber only gets really good when you get into custom songs and have access to all the kpop and anime songs you could ever want.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

LLSix posted:

If I'm only going to get one of these, which should it be: Tempestfall or Master Bladesmith or Boneworks?

The only one of those I've played is Boneworks. Many people love it but it felt like an ill-conceived tech demo to me.

I love the idea of a fully physical simulated world in VR but I hate many of the decisions they made in regards to player's body physics.

I have pretty strong VR legs but having my head randomly jerked around by unexpected physics interactions and having rubber arms while I climb made me sicker than anything else I've ever played. I had to take a month or two off VR after refunding it because just the thought of my headset made me want to puke.

So my suggestion is that if you do get Boneworks set yourself a timer and stop before 2 hours to decide whether you want to refund it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Sab669 posted:

Trap Requiem is an absolute banger and I will gunfight anyone who disagrees.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

njsykora posted:

Beat Saber only gets really good when you get into custom songs and have access to all the kpop and anime songs you could ever want.

Which is none, in my case!

This is one of the things I like about Synth Riders, the custom scene is much more heavily skewed to western rock and pop, which suits my tastes more.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

boloney posted:

I'm amazed that Beat Saber is so popular, considering how bad the song selection is. Yes, I want to dance to... dubstep?? And Green Day?

I don't think most BS songs are designed to be 'danceable'. Beat Saber is just a well designed rhythm video game, with specific rules for getting high scores, and clear game over conditions. You play because the flow of the game, and try to get good scores, and so some exercise, not because it allows you to dance with the songs.

boloney posted:

And I actually like Green Day, but it's also not dance music. It's just weird they didn't go for catchy/poppy stuff

A reminder that Beat Saber wasn't always a big game. It was developed by a small, unknown team, and only got popular as years passed. And then FB bought them. So when they started, they didn't have money to pay licenses for popular music.

It's only now that they are rich and popular that they have licensed music in DLCs.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I play rhythm games and competitive online shooters over wireless with no issue

Only thing I'd mention here is higher end saber stuff specifically. When things get above 7-8nps ive found that no amount of tweaking can get my quest "smooth enough" to play that level of saber and actually compete. I can fumble through things, but theres lots of poo poo misses where you cut through a block but it dont cut kinda poo poo.

Otherwise, yeah wireless owns bones on the quest

Turin Turambar posted:

A reminder that Beat Saber wasn't always a big game. It was developed by a small, unknown team, and only got popular as years passed. And then FB bought them. So when they started, they didn't have money to pay licenses for popular music.

It's only now that they are rich and popular that they have licensed music in DLCs.

FB bought them a billion years ago at this point in VR time. The OG quest ad they were already owned at that point and that was what, 3 years ago?

They got big and kept player numbers because a community held them up. If it wasn't for the mod scene and custom map scene saber would have died 12/24 months in tops.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Which is none, in my case!

This is one of the things I like about Synth Riders, the custom scene is much more heavily skewed to western rock and pop, which suits my tastes more.

So get out of your own head and explore more. Music games tend to lean to digital/weeb poo poo. I love SR but there isn't enough content to keep me interested for sure on the custom scene.

njsykora posted:

This is so true its not even funny. Weeb shits way more fun than anythign else

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

The Walrus posted:

God this heavy bass 4 on the floor music is so bad for dancing

Lmao goons.

literally the white guys from RRR.

Flamenco!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
The end parts of Alex are loving incredible. Just played through the trippy bit where gravity's all fucky and everything is all Escher like and then sadly my drat Quest battery ran out a few minutes into the energy ball throwing. poo poo the bed, what a finale.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Man that energy ball throwing at the end of Alyx was something that just did not work for me. Maybe I was doing it wrong (game doesn't give much guidance) but I remember it being a real pain in the rear end to get it to work right and I gave myself a super sore wrist.

There was also that part near the end where you had to operate some big turret and for all the talk of Valve's polish and testing I couldn't believe how bad controlling that thing was.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

TIP posted:

Man that energy ball throwing at the end of Alyx was something that just did not work for me. Maybe I was doing it wrong (game doesn't give much guidance) but I remember it being a real pain in the rear end to get it to work right and I gave myself a super sore wrist.

There was also that part near the end where you had to operate some big turret and for all the talk of Valve's polish and testing I couldn't believe how bad controlling that thing was.

I'm actually struggling with that a little bit too. It's a cool concept but I am having trouble with aiming it. Keeps seeming to auto-aim to random bits of scenery and stuff instead of the guards I'm trying to hit with it. I think you're suppose to do a sort of hadouken action with them rather than throwing them like a grenade. I had kind of assumed the fault was with me since it's not like Valve to have something like that not work so it's good to hear I'm not the only one.

I didn't have too much trouble with the turret though, presuming you mean the one that you use to kill the strider.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

chippy posted:

I didn't have too much trouble with the turret though, presuming you mean the one that you use to kill the strider.

Yeah, that's the one, part of my issue may have come from the fact that I had covid but was determined to play the game despite being unable to stand. It kept requiring to my put my hand through my own torso to move the turret into the positions I needed, if I'd been standing then repositioning my body might have been a bit easier.

Also possible that they've patched that part, I remember seeing other people complain at the time.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

TIP posted:

Yeah, that's the one, part of my issue may have come from the fact that I had covid but was determined to play the game despite being unable to stand. It kept requiring to my put my hand through my own torso to move the turret into the positions I needed, if I'd been standing then repositioning my body might have been a bit easier.

Also possible that they've patched that part, I remember seeing other people complain at the time.

Honestly the covid sounds like the real problem lol. I had zero issues with either part.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just finished Alyx and holy moly what an experience that was. I had little trouble with the turret and energy blasts, thanks to the insight above.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Just finished Alyx and holy moly what an experience that was. I had little trouble with the turret and energy blasts, thanks to the insight above.

I’ve been slowly making my way through Alyx because I’ve heard it’s just phenomenal, but I cannot do more than an hour at a time unless I want to lie on the ground for hours afterwards due to the nausea. Might have to just prescribe myself some Scopolamine and Zofran and go for it.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
My go-to games are still usually Space Pirate Trainer, H3VR, and In Death, though I’ve been playing Davigo a ton lately against my kiddo and it’s been a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Did that laser tag mode ever come out for Space Pirate Trainer?