Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Friend of mine's had a Shockbyte server for a while that was doing just fine with several people at a time on the lowest tier (1GB) back in 1.16, now with 1.19 he's beefed it up to the third tier (3GB) which is supposed to support up to 30 people, but having added nothing more than the usual Fabric optimizations, Origins, and Tom's Simple Storage (which is barely in use) it is semiregularly making GBS threads itself and dying from running out of memory and timing out with 3-6 people. I'm terrified of trying to introduce Create to this loadout once that updates given how much it's already struggling, and I'm not sure what to blame in this situation.

3GB is still pretty low, if you plan on having decent view distance and a few mods you'll very easily end up at 5-6GB. Make sure you have the right optimization mods (lithium) to reduce memory load, and have the server restart on a regular schedule. I have mine restart and back up every 6 hours. Also be aware that some optimization mods increase memory consumption, notably c2me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Taffer posted:

3GB is still pretty low, if you plan on having decent view distance and a few mods you'll very easily end up at 5-6GB. Make sure you have the right optimization mods (lithium) to reduce memory load, and have the server restart on a regular schedule. I have mine restart and back up every 6 hours. Also be aware that some optimization mods increase memory consumption, notably c2me.

Got Lithium and Starlight on the server side (thinking ahead because Sodium does weird poo poo with Create), that's it. Server restart every 6 hours is a little redundant when it already crashes and has to restart itself at least once an hour whenever anyone's playing. Never heard of c2me, though I've just discovered FerriteCore and Memory Leak Fix which both claim to help with memory issues though they're both pretty opaque as to how and MLF specifically recommends you use it in conjunction with an "optimization" mod that has a big fat upfront disclaimer that it introduces a memory leak :pseudo:

I really start to wonder how deep one can get into the rabbit hole of chasing optimizations before the strain of the stack of optimization mods is worse than the problem they're trying to fix, not to mention what some of these mod makers consider "optimization" in the first place.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

What's a reasonable memory size for an All The Mods 7 server to run smoothly with a couple of players (occasionally three)?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Got Lithium and Starlight on the server side (thinking ahead because Sodium does weird poo poo with Create), that's it. Server restart every 6 hours is a little redundant when it already crashes and has to restart itself at least once an hour whenever anyone's playing. Never heard of c2me, though I've just discovered FerriteCore and Memory Leak Fix which both claim to help with memory issues though they're both pretty opaque as to how and MLF specifically recommends you use it in conjunction with an "optimization" mod that has a big fat upfront disclaimer that it introduces a memory leak :pseudo:

I really start to wonder how deep one can get into the rabbit hole of chasing optimizations before the strain of the stack of optimization mods is worse than the problem they're trying to fix, not to mention what some of these mod makers consider "optimization" in the first place.

What are the errors when it crashes? Even with low memory crashes that frequent are very unusual, something else is going on. Post the latest crash-report, or if there isn't one, the latest.log from after a crash.

Also you should definitely be using Sodium - it's more client focused but it does still help on the server side, and it should cause no problems with create. I use both on Progress with lots of players and those mods have never clashed.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Taffer posted:

What are the errors when it crashes? Even with low memory crashes that frequent are very unusual, something else is going on. Post the latest crash-report, or if there isn't one, the latest.log from after a crash.

Also you should definitely be using Sodium - it's more client focused but it does still help on the server side, and it should cause no problems with create. I use both on Progress with lots of players and those mods have never clashed.

I don't have the proper files on hand atm, but the snippets I've been privy to are basically just a bunch of "Can't keep up! [...] Running 2006 - 4623 ticks behind" followed by disconnect notifications for everyone leaving as the server implodes.

As for Sodium, sorry, I misspoke, I'm using Starlight instead of Phosphor because Phosphor does this with Create:

That said we don't have Sodium on the serverside because its Modrinth page pretty clearly states that it only affects clientside rendering optimization, is that incorrect?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
"Can't keep up" means the CPU is being overloaded with whatever is going on. For that to be happening with 'just a couple of mods including Fabric optimisations and Origins' is extremely suspect. Something is making lots of stuff happen.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Full list of serverside mods:

• Appleskin
  • Fabric API
  • Fabric Homes
  • Fabric TPA
  • FallingTree
  • Freedom of Insomnia
  • Lithium
  • Origins
  • Starlight
  • Tom's Simple Storage

:shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
A mod list that short should make it easy to just tear things out one at a time to see what is causing problems. My wild rear end guess would be either FallingTree (because calculating the size of a tree can be computationally expensive and players might have a tree farm with overlapping leaves) or the storage mod (because who knows how they implemented it).

How much exploration have the players been doing? Because Minecraft always eats poo poo when you start generating new chunks too quickly in my experience, and I can see six players spreading out causing that easily.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Full list of serverside mods:

• Appleskin
  • Fabric API
  • Fabric Homes
  • Fabric TPA
  • FallingTree
  • Freedom of Insomnia
  • Lithium
  • Origins
  • Starlight
  • Tom's Simple Storage

:shrug:

You said you have Create. That should be in that list.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A quick thing to check for any storage mod is to make sure a player hasn't connected multiple separate networks together somehow. Especially if whatever pipe/mover does a bunch of chunk updates it can bring even the beefiest servers down.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

isndl posted:

How much exploration have the players been doing? Because Minecraft always eats poo poo when you start generating new chunks too quickly in my experience, and I can see six players spreading out causing that easily.

Yeah, this. Pregenerate the world with chunky pregenerator and set a world border so nothing new can be generated. May be worth doing the same thing in the nether too.

On Sodium, yes it is client focused and mostly changes rendering, but it also does some memory and multithreading stuff that helps on servers too.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

isndl posted:

FallingTree (because calculating the size of a tree can be computationally expensive and players might have a tree farm with overlapping leaves)
Probably not, since I'm fairly certain no one else is even aware it's installed (it's on crouch to activate and I don't use it much)

isndl posted:

The world's already been generated out to 2k-3k blocks in all directions and it still has lag issues sometimes even when it's just two of us chilling in our base.

McFrugal posted:

You said you have Create. That should be in that list.

I said I'm futureproofing for Create so I'm trying to sort out the memory issues now, Create isn't on 1.19 yet.

Rynoto posted:

A quick thing to check for any storage mod is to make sure a player hasn't connected multiple separate networks together somehow. Especially if whatever pipe/mover does a bunch of chunk updates it can bring even the beefiest servers down.

You know, one of the new guys who hopped on was loving around with Tom's, I wouldn't be surprised if this is what's doing it. Gonna look into it.

Taffer posted:

Yeah, this. Pregenerate the world with chunky pregenerator and set a world border so nothing new can be generated. May be worth doing the same thing in the nether too.

On Sodium, yes it is client focused and mostly changes rendering, but it also does some memory and multithreading stuff that helps on servers too.

Might look into doing this too. Also good to know that Sodium has any serverside application, thanks.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Okay, coming back to this, I found The New Guy ran a length of Tom's Storage cables a few hundred blocks long/deep to a terminal at a strip mining operation so he could just offload everything back to his central vault via long distance. Oh boy. It's... not really a second network, but it is reaching several chunks away to send items. I'm not sure how likely it is that this is the culprit, and if I should just remove a couple cable pieces to sever the connection for testing performance or if I should gut the whole line to be sure. Any experts on this able to weigh in?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Okay, coming back to this, I found The New Guy ran a length of Tom's Storage cables a few hundred blocks long/deep to a terminal at a strip mining operation so he could just offload everything back to his central vault via long distance. Oh boy. It's... not really a second network, but it is reaching several chunks away to send items. I'm not sure how likely it is that this is the culprit, and if I should just remove a couple cable pieces to sever the connection for testing performance or if I should gut the whole line to be sure. Any experts on this able to weigh in?

Unless there's something else automatically feeding into the storage system it shouldn't be chunk updating, but a quick cut just to see will never hurt. Tick lag will go away instantly once you find the source.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
With a super long run like that I'd also worry about weird interactions with chunk loading, maybe the storage network is trying to access chests in unloaded chunks. Comes down to how the mod is implemented and how careful the modder was about handling weird edge cases.

Presumably there's a root node block somewhere and if you pop that out that should give you immediate feedback if it's the problem mod, and from there you can see what kind of trimming is necessary.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I learned you can overclock an EBF by using a higher tier energy input but also that it will count the total energy if you use two and I am mad with power being able to smelt aluminum in under 3 seconds with 2 HV inputs.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok, so i finally hit signalum and lumium.

AAANNnnnnd power is the problem.

So i just doubled my numistics. Which is way more than my end steel conduits can actually move.

Not a problem, lumium is the next tier.

So my question. How do i swap out my endsteel conduits with my new ones i just made. (as it seems different tiers dont join, meraning ill have no power while i swap out

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

enderio? don't you just right-click with the higher tier conduit?

also you can just do more connections

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

enderio? don't you just right-click with the higher tier conduit?

also you can just do more connections

Thats a few hundred individual conduits i need to replace.

It was ok going from vibrant to endsteel. But now the sheer amount of conduit i have..... and i have some ive probably forgotten about

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

Ok, so i finally hit signalum and lumium.

AAANNnnnnd power is the problem.

So i just doubled my numistics. Which is way more than my end steel conduits can actually move.

Not a problem, lumium is the next tier.

So my question. How do i swap out my endsteel conduits with my new ones i just made. (as it seems different tiers dont join, meraning ill have no power while i swap out
This is a problem for sure and there's no easy answer. I had to right click them all. I skipped lumium since I believe the next tier (or the tier after that?) uses different materials from a different process (I can't remember exactly) and so I stocked up on them instead. I think they were maybe superconducting and I was able to feed hoarded dragon scales/dust that had been collecting in my DML farm into making a whole bunch, while lumium/signalum were rarer because I didn't have that much dust?

Remember how cables work; only the end points matter so you can double up. What I ended up doing is just attaching cables to multiple sides of my HV/EV breakouts and high energy users until I was able to climb to the next tier. It looks silly but you can input power from all 5 other sides if needed.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 26, 2022

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

You can also only replace your main trunk lines and then use capacitor blocks as a junction between the different tiers of conduits. It also means the next time you upgrade you won't run into the same problem with all the conduits, only the new ones that have the higher tier.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think once I hit end steel that I went signalum->superconducting. I also used power buffers instead of capacitors for junctions. I think it was because of supply issues from the individual capacitor blocks. Ultimately, you'd have to rclick every conduit you want to upgrade, so I did as most did and only hit my trunk lines . . . and then random bits here and there that got starved later in the game from perpetual use.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Played a bunch of rustic waters 2. I have to give it an overall thumbs down.

A bunch of the early game of this pack centers around base stuff, roughly create->thermal/mekanism. Materials are provided through sieves and later ore seeds. Digital storage is (of course) gated way into the pack, though you do get drawers and a mod that lets you look at all adjacent inventories which is real nice. There's an expandable underwater base, and of course an entire underwater world is a nice gimmick.

Unfortunately, then you hit midgame where you need 'hearts' from dungeons to progress. That's where the problem lies. Combat in minecraft isn't great as we all know; Apparently the various mod's damage has been buffed/balanced to make them all viable, you've got tech, magic, and normal weapons and really killing creatures isn't that much of a problem...

The problem is defense. There are absolutely no quests centered around tips/tricks, what you should wear, good enchants or items from the various mods, just a few tips that "Hey if you are having trouble, enchant your armor!" Like, gently caress you man. I go into an area and creatures teleport on top of me, I get insta-blinded and then die in three hits, even with full steel armor.

You'd think for a pack that spent so much time on custom POIs there'd at least be a single quest page breadcrumbing you through it and helping you to get equipped.

Nomifactory it is not.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 27, 2022

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Haven't played with Astral Sorcery since early 1.12. Playing E6E now.

Are we tied to finding a pre-gen altar at high elevation still? I remember searching back in the day for an altar at y=100 or so and don't really feel like spending hours doing that again.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

central dogma posted:

Haven't played with Astral Sorcery since early 1.12. Playing E6E now.

Are we tied to finding a pre-gen altar at high elevation still? I remember searching back in the day for an altar at y=100 or so and don't really feel like spending hours doing that again.

Nah. Any pre-gen with a crystal will work if your pack doesn't gen the ores naturally. If it does spawn the ores you won't even need those. Likewise elevation and 'density' spots can be ignored as the altar can be powered by a single good crystal late and early on with some of those special multiblocks with the lenses.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Under-estimated my conduits by at least 4 stacks and ended up with just enough signalum to do what i needed.

Looks like i need to automate all the dusts that go into crafting these :/

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Meskhenet posted:

Looks like i need to automate all the dusts that go into crafting these :/

Ramping up into Signalum/Lumium production is where I burned out in Omnifactory and where I feel like I'm burning out in Nomi too. It's just so much fiddly little poo poo. :negative:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeap, I had to go nuts on that dust. Lumium was an end-game surprise. I don't remember where I needed it so much but I kept blowing through it (draconium stuff?).

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Modded Minecraft 3.0 - had to go nuts on that dust

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I am 100% wishng i did this sky block.

Even though i didnt want to sky block

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What does it take to make a draconic reactor explode in a way that'll take out a 3x3 chunk tower going from bedrock to Y=255? Can this be done in Nomifactory?

Asking for a server.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Uh. It'll destroy far more than a 3x3 depending on the reactor tier. Looking through the config the explosion is enabled by default so just break the core of a max tier while it's running.

This will probably crash your server.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 29, 2022

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rynoto posted:

Uh. It'll destroy far more than a 3x3 depending on the reactor tier. Looking through the config the explosion is enabled by default so just break the core of a max tier while it's running.

This will probably crash your server.

That's fine. We want it to go out with a bang.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

That's fine. We want it to go out with a bang.

In that case double check to make sure everything is unclaimed and that no server configs disable tile destruction for maximum flare.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Getting extremely back into watching SG1 and I've been really enjoying messing around with the AUNIS Stargate mod.

I want to set up a little survival roleplay scenario with some friends where I premake a large biomes world with Stargates spaced in the overworld or in the nether at 50,000 block distances from each other. Then we'll get a starting gate with no DHD and have to try powering it and interfacing with it using TE3 and Opencomputers and find new addresses that I will scatter around.

The thing I'm lacking is enough interesting locations to add new gates to. Can anyone recommend a dimensions mod that might add some novel "planets" to visit?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
The planets Futurepack has are pretty neat, and if you're on 1.12 you could use Advanced Rocketry to define your own planets (albeit without especially interesting geometry or anything). Otherwise apart from those and the Galacticraft set, actual alien planets (vs just adventure dimensions) are pretty thin on the ground unfortunately.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

What's a good modded minecraft launcher? This is for connecting to a remote ATM7 multiplay server.

Don't say GDLauncher - that's a pile of poo and sticks on 'downloading mods' forever.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
PolyMC has been working well for me.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clarence posted:

What's a good modded minecraft launcher? This is for connecting to a remote ATM7 multiplay server.

Don't say GDLauncher - that's a pile of poo and sticks on 'downloading mods' forever.

GDLauncher works fine, just make sure you're using the latest version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

dragonshardz posted:

GDLauncher works fine, just make sure you're using the latest version.

And to be clear - the back end that serves up all the mod downloads had a sea change a month or two back that required all the third parties to rethink how they download mods

Updates usually don't break the launcher