Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Rot posted:

Also, ya'll should grab this glider:

https://flightsim.to/file/25518/discus-2c-glider

And the free version of Kinetic Assistant:

https://msfs.touching.cloud/mods/kinetic-assistant/

It's crazy fun.

Soaring is something I've never done IRL so I'm having a great time.

Aaaah poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I finally got my Warthog throttle fixed, and aside from the process of getting Thrustmaster to sell me the replacement part being supremely annoying, the actual repair was easy.

Disassembling the throttle is a cinch, but Thrustmaster hot-glues the connectors to the board, so it took me about 20 minutes, some alcohol, and a hobby knife to get those unplugged, but once that's done, swapping the PCB out is easy.

According to the internet, the PCB in those throttles seems to fail because Thrustmaster didn't install any kind of protection against voltage spikes, so it's now plugged in via a USB hub I can turn off when I shut down and boot my PC.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
This weekend was SimVenture on PilotEdge where they bring in the controllers from AirVenture and encourage all the pilots on the network to land at Oshkosh at the same time: https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/simventure

I’ve been trying to use PilotEdge to get comfortable talking with ATC, so I made a point of participating, and it was a radically different experience, flying in a very long line with other pilots and occasionally being directed by ATC with the simulated equivalent of binoculars.

The very first attempt went badly wrong right away when I deployed flaps too fast (in my defence, I fly a Cirrus SR20 G6 in real life, but the sim version is a G3 with more fragile flaps). But I didn’t want to miss out, or, cheat and fix the plane with the config menu. So I flew the whole approach missing the left flap.

Was hella fun in the end.

https://youtu.be/2cru6KID4Nk

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got the Logitech throttle quadrant & rudder pedals. First impressions:

Throttle quadrant feels cheap, but it's not bad clamped to the desk. There's gotta be an aftermarket for replacing the caps ... that alone would make a huge difference. Otherwise it's a great set of options, and I like that it comes with an optional bar to replace the caps, so that you can use all three levers as one if that makes sense for your setup. As well it's modular and designed to nest against multiple quadrants if you need more. It was also pretty drat cheap all things considered, $50 CAD on sale from Logitech's online store.

The rudders feel really good and grip my floor well. I can still reach them from my standing desk stool, but I should really figure out some way to raise them without losing grip. My desk is not practically adjustable.

Probably because I'm using them from an awkward angle, I found the toe brakes extremely sensitive, but it was pretty easy to fix in the standard Windows Game Controller control panel, adjusting the deadzones. Only trick was to unlock "Link Deadzones" by right-clicking on the axis. Otherwise it made them practically digital.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just got a 4K monitor, and goddamn, this game looks nice at that resolution. But DLSS really can't come soon enough. I'm just getting 45 - 50fps at maxed-out settings on a 3080 Ti.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

When is the patch due to be officially released?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ll admit I haven’t tried it in MSFS and maybe it’s better, but everytime I’ve tried DLSS in games people rave about how good it is, it basically feels like mushing and fudging any hard to render scene into a blurry mess, especially at long distance. It’s certainly annoying and requires a really dull half hour or more of benchmarking, but I still find “tweaking settings to get the frames I want without DLSS” gives me a better overall quality without moments of distant fudgey visuals.

Idk, maybe I’m insane. I’d rather have 40fps with an infrequent dip than a blurred visual and a consistent 50+ even if that means annoyingly fastidious tweaking.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’ll admit I haven’t tried it in MSFS and maybe it’s better, but everytime I’ve tried DLSS in games people rave about how good it is, it basically feels like mushing and fudging any hard to render scene into a blurry mess, especially at long distance. It’s certainly annoying and requires a really dull half hour or more of benchmarking, but I still find “tweaking settings to get the frames I want without DLSS” gives me a better overall quality without moments of distant fudgey visuals.

Idk, maybe I’m insane. I’d rather have 40fps with an infrequent dip than a blurred visual and a consistent 50+ even if that means annoyingly fastidious tweaking.

Are you setting DLSS to the Quality setting in whatever game? DLSS on Quality setting looks better than native res in most games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DLSS looks kinda bad when done on a 1080p display, though. At that point, the source resolution it's using is 720p on quality mode, and that's not enough pixels to work with to produce a perfectly sharp image. DLSS on 1440p looks a lot better, and at 4K even the balanced and performance modes can look quite good. If your game has a sharpness slider after enabling DLSS, set it to 20 or 30 or so, and can often reverse any softening effect without introducing oversharpening artifacts.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
For most games, being pixel-perfect doesn’t matter. The graphics are just an abstraction layer for the gameplay. In a flight sim, being pixel-perfect frequently does matter. When you’re reading small EFIS displays on your screen, the fonts are relatively tiny and absolutely need to be sharp. For combat flight sims, being able to see an enemy aircraft when it’s a single pixel against the sky, and distinguish a Bf-109 from a Spitfire when it’s 8 pixels big really does matter. For these cases it’s not enough to “interpolate” or “have the AI make poo poo up”, rendering at native 1:1 is a necessity.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Are you setting DLSS to the Quality setting in whatever game? DLSS on Quality setting looks better than native res in most games.

My best example was playing Cyberpunk a few months after launch on a 3080. DLSS Quality vs “Futz with settings until you don’t get too many bad frame dips” meant that I had a consistently more clear picture without using DLSS. DLSS was a much easier way to get consistent frames if I didn’t really worry about fine details. Honestly, for Cyberpunk I wouldn’t have even noticed had I not been really critical about it because I was exploring the feature. If I just turned on DLSS and played, I’d be fine. For MSFS I’m more critical though, because so much of the game is literally enjoying distant landscape detail, which is what I found DLSS to struggle with.

Again, I’m willing to concede I’m being a grognard about some weird blurry bits, but I don’t understand “Actually, rendering lower resolution with some interpolation is better than native resolution.”

Idk, maybe I just have a really weird eye combined with some latent “Im being tricked” bias that makes me not like DLSS upscaling but I’ve never found it as amazing as folks say. I really like sharp and smooth graphics and DLSS seems like it trades sharpness for a more murky scene but with more consistent fps.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

DLSS can do some really impressive stuff (something like Minecrat RTX is as perfect a use-case as I've seen, if you're looking for one), but it's not a universal silver bullet like some folks make it out to be.

It's worlds better than any non-temporal upscaling solution I've seen, though. Easily good enough that most people wouldn't know it wasn't native in most cases if you didn't tell them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DLSS is better than native rendering at representing fine details in the distance, such as thin wires or tree branches. A lot of fine details grouped together though can trick it and you end up with stuff like moire patterns.

It does this by taking data from multiple frames and using it to have a better idea of what's supposed to be at any given pixel. For example, when you see a tiny cable that's failing to render in full because it's smaller than one pixel wide or is caught between pixels, you still know it's there because you can see other parts of it and you've previously seen the parts that are currently hidden. DLSS sees this too and takes advantage of that knowledge to draw it in properly. That's the temporal aspect of the upscaler. The AI aspect isn't really "AI making poo poo up." DLSS is kind of a black box and we don't really know what's going on under the hood, but it's likely that there's very little actual AI decision making happening in the active upscaling part. It's more that they just use Nvidia's tensor cores because it's really good at doing the particular math required. If there is AI involved, then it may be really simple stuff like deciding which past frames have relevant information for the current one. It's not like you're running dalle for your game. You can see an example of finer details being rendered more cleanly in DLSS here:

From that terrible marvel avengers game I think.

It's far from a perfect technology, though. It can definitely produce a softer image, especially at 1080p where it is often quite a bit softer than native rendering. This is less of a problem at higher resolutions though, and it's especially not a problem when they give you a sharpening slider to use. It's also prone to ghosting on particle effects and other objects that don't have proper motion vectors. And MSFS's current beta implementation doesn't include any of the HTML-driven interface stuff in the pipeline, so that's all especially blurry. I would still like to use it, though. I personally would prefer it over having to turn down most of MSFS's graphics settings.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

DLSS is better than native rendering at representing fine details in the distance, such as thin wires or tree branches. A lot of fine details grouped together though can trick it and you end up with stuff like moire patterns.

It does this by taking data from multiple frames and using it to have a better idea of what's supposed to be at any given pixel. For example, when you see a tiny cable that's failing to render in full because it's smaller than one pixel wide or is caught between pixels, you still know it's there because you can see other parts of it and you've previously seen the parts that are currently hidden. DLSS sees this too and takes advantage of that knowledge to draw it in properly. That's the temporal aspect of the upscaler. The AI aspect isn't really "AI making poo poo up." DLSS is kind of a black box and we don't really know what's going on under the hood, but it's likely that there's very little actual AI decision making happening in the active upscaling part. It's more that they just use Nvidia's tensor cores because it's really good at doing the particular math required. If there is AI involved, then it may be really simple stuff like deciding which past frames have relevant information for the current one. It's not like you're running dalle for your game. You can see an example of finer details being rendered more cleanly in DLSS here:

It's far from a perfect technology, though. It can definitely produce a softer image, especially at 1080p where it is often quite a bit softer than native rendering. This is less of a problem at higher resolutions though, and it's especially not a problem when they give you a sharpening slider to use. It's also prone to ghosting on particle effects and other objects that don't have proper motion vectors. And MSFS's current beta implementation doesn't include any of the HTML-driven interface stuff in the pipeline, so that's all especially blurry. I would still like to use it, though. I personally would prefer it over having to turn down most of MSFS's graphics settings.

This helps me understand it a lot more, thanks. I suppose I aught to give it more of a chance instead of flicking it on, noticing a blurry bit or a Ghosty bit, and then turning it off and insisting it sucks.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Another tweak, especially for older titles, is you can go in the file directory and replace the older DLSS .dll file with newer versions, and the game will take advantage of the latest revisions in the new file. Many games that had ghosting or poor detail with older implementations of DLSS will work perfectly with newer versions. You can get the latest DLL at the link below, as well as instructions on what to do.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Another tweak, especially for older titles, is you can go in the file directory and replace the older DLSS .dll file with newer versions, and the game will take advantage of the latest revisions in the new file. Many games that had ghosting or poor detail with older implementations of DLSS will work perfectly with newer versions. You can get the latest DLL at the link below, as well as instructions on what to do.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/
Also, DLSS Swapper on the Microsoft Store is a handy tool for quickly swapping DLSS files on ultiple titles. At the moment it only detects games from your Steam library.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Interesting detail in the DLSS example is that everything else looks fine, but the smoke on the bridge is super sharply pixelated.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I can accept that for Sims, DLSS isn't as useful as it is for most other games. I'm used to reprojection from VR, which is essentially also an interpolation technique, and while it looks good for outside, the inside of the cockpit can become odd.

I'm wondering whether it'll be possible to build special cases for specific games into these algorithms at some point. By that I mean: Fred the DLSS algorithm information that it is looking at a specific thing (like a spitfire, or text), and that it should handle these objects in a specific way supplied by the game.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

How scary and/or beginner friendly is vatsim? Is the community friendly enough to learn with?

I kind of want to try it but I'm scared.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

How scary and/or beginner friendly is vatsim? Is the community friendly enough to learn with?

It's usually beginner friendly except for large events.
When you sign up for vatsim they give you an intro training module followed by a test. That training module has pages for the structure and types of expected communications at each phase of flight which are very helpful. I kept pulling them back up for my first few flights. I'd at least sign up and take a look.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lord Stimperor posted:

I can accept that for Sims, DLSS isn't as useful as it is for most other games. I'm used to reprojection from VR, which is essentially also an interpolation technique, and while it looks good for outside, the inside of the cockpit can become odd.

I'm wondering whether it'll be possible to build special cases for specific games into these algorithms at some point. By that I mean: Fred the DLSS algorithm information that it is looking at a specific thing (like a spitfire, or text), and that it should handle these objects in a specific way supplied by the game.
The AI part of DLSS is expected to be something like a special case library. There is an AI model required for DLSS or we'd just turn on it in every game. Oversimplifying but the extent of the model is probably just stuff like "this is a spitfire so you know a little more when identifying it and rebuilding it."

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

FebrezeNinja posted:

It's usually beginner friendly except for large events.
When you sign up for vatsim they give you an intro training module followed by a test. That training module has pages for the structure and types of expected communications at each phase of flight which are very helpful. I kept pulling them back up for my first few flights. I'd at least sign up and take a look.

Are there any tools that help for vr? It seems like a pen and paper is really needed to write things down, but obviously if you're in vr that's a problem.

If not it doesn't really matter. Can always put vr on in flight or at the takeoff.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Is there a setting to adjust the colors in MSFS? I feel like the colors in mine are incredibly washed out when compared to videos/streamers.

I'm running a 6800xt so the NVIDA color correction filters are obviously a no go.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Communist Bear posted:

Are there any tools that help for vr? It seems like a pen and paper is really needed to write things down, but obviously if you're in vr that's a problem.

I use OpenKneeboard to view PDFs that I put together before each flight with charts and flight plan notes - and it actually supports writing handwritten notes during flight if you have a graphics tablet + pen. I don't have one, so I havent tried that feature, but as just a VR PDF viewer it's pretty handy - and free.

https://github.com/OpenKneeboard/OpenKneeboard

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I quit gaming a billion years ago but I can't scratch that flight sim itch off of me. Does MSFS work well on linux (steam edition)? Is there anything else worth trying to learn how to pilot civilian planes from cessna to airliners, vfr and ifr?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

froody guy posted:

I quit gaming a billion years ago but I can't scratch that flight sim itch off of me. Does MSFS work well on linux (steam edition)? Is there anything else worth trying to learn how to pilot civilian planes from cessna to airliners, vfr and ifr?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/269950/XPlane_11/

X-Plane has a native Linux version so that is guaranteed to work. And it's a good sim even if it doesn't have quite the same level of graphics.

ProtonDB shows that MSFS apparently runs ok for people on Linux via Proton. (Proton is a compatibility layer inside Steam that simulates a Windows environment, kinda like or possibly based on Wine).

https://www.protondb.com/app/1250410

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Apparently Xplane 12 is just around the corner and Aerofly FS4 has just launched. Can't really compare them to MSFS from a technical pov but I heard good things about both. Thing is if they want to steal some market shares off MSFS they should come at a substantially lower price, instead they all costs pretty much the same while offering about the same if not less in terms of contents of the base package (airplanes and airports mainly but not only).

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Communist Bear posted:

Best thing I can suggest is strapping into a GA plane like the 182 or the SR22 and do VFR flights as you learn. You’re flying slower and it’s easier for both you and the controller. As you get better at it, start doing IFR flights and move into faster planes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Communist Bear posted:

https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/cat-ratings

There’s no reason you can’t take these and just do them on Vatsim. Laartcc launched them many many years ago and usually is staffed up.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I find Boston is also pretty well staffed most nights if the LA area is dead.

Overall vatsim is normally quite friendly and welcoming of new players. Be sure you can fly your plane by hand, I've seen a lot of new pilots who only fly with their autopilot/FMS and when a controller throws a wrench into their plans they have no idea how to react.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yep and that link has a literal transcript to help know what to start with and how to reply.

If you get on freq and they reply differently you’ll definitely get help because you’re trying and most folks just do the ifr tube liner

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

One of my favorite things to do is wing my way under and around controlled airspace in VFR while listening to the controllers, and watching how badly some pilots handle altitude hold restrictions.

Me: At 4000'
Class B Shelf: 4500'
ATC Command: Hold at or above 5500' until established.
These guys:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I was downloading this 95Gb monster from a 10Mb connection, I had about 40Gb done when for some reason it lost the connection and there was nothing I could do but stop the game and restart it again. Apparently the launcher decided to delete all them 40Gb and started downloading from scratch again :vince:

So, dosn't Microsoft have a torrenting system for such a huge download??? Is there a way to download it from torrent and move it in the steam folder maybe?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

froody guy posted:

I was downloading this 95Gb monster from a 10Mb connection, I had about 40Gb done when for some reason it lost the connection and there was nothing I could do but stop the game and restart it again. Apparently the launcher decided to delete all them 40Gb and started downloading from scratch again :vince:

So, dosn't Microsoft have a torrenting system for such a huge download??? Is there a way to download it from torrent and move it in the steam folder maybe?

No and no. This has been an issue since day one. Their download system is the worst that has even been conceived by man. And I have downloaded a Linux install with a 14.4k modem.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

lobsterminator posted:

And I have downloaded a Linux install with a 14.4k modem.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Okay it wasn't that scary. The person I got was really nice and patient. I'll try again once I understand importing flight plans and understanding where the gently caress i'm going.

Think i'll try aiports I know, will make life easier for learning.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

froody guy posted:

Haha jesus. :rip:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020: download will finish in 2023.

Glad this is not that thread :shepface:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Communist Bear posted:

Okay it wasn't that scary. The person I got was really nice and patient. I'll try again once I understand importing flight plans and understanding where the gently caress i'm going.

Yeah, my normal first flight for a light GA plane is something around Boston to KIZG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Communist Bear posted:

That’s good to hear! It’s VFR so find a super small towered airport and just putter around without worrying about airspace too much.