Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

NtotheTC posted:

I was horrified the first time I set up a rest API that would 404 if a resource wasn't found and had the SPA team complain that "none of the other API end points do this". They were right too, the API responses returned 200 with {"error": "<error code>"} as the body.

I thought it was unique to that place, but I've seen it in several other REST APIs out there so hell, maybe I'm the idiot.

200 for everything is definitely an extant pattern. Honestly I think it's fine if it's documented and consistent and the responses are machine-readable (i.e. you don't need to parse error strings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deffon
Mar 28, 2010

raminasi posted:

200 for everything is definitely an extant pattern. Honestly I think it's fine if it's documented and consistent and the responses are machine-readable (i.e. you don't need to parse error strings).

The HTTP status code conventions are somewhat ambigious, but while it can be helpful to define errors that matter to your application, there are a lot of tools and libraries that work best when the application follows the HTTP conventions.
The tools doesn't have to know about a bespoke JSON field, or try to parse the response body.

In my experience, there are always some framework errors that have not been converted to 200 correctly, so the client still always has to deal with HTTP-level 500 errors and application-level 200 errors.

The best solution I've found is to use HTTP status codes, but include a response body if the code could refer to different scenarios that the client has to handle.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I think 400 and 404 are pretty much the only error codes which cover both business level errors ("you sent the wrong thing / you asked for a thing that doesn't exist") and protocol-level errors ("the json is not valid / the path is not valid").

So for those two types of errors, I can see a very good argument for returning 200 with a well-defined and potentially more detailed response object in the event of business-level errors, and reserving the actual 400 and 404 codes for protocol-level fuckups.

(You can also make a case for 403 as being a dual error code, but I think it's an anti-pattern if you have to implement a business-level authz layer that's totally separate from the standard claims system. Also there's 409 which is weird because it's pretty much only a business-level error code.)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I dunno, I find the idea of the same URL sometimes returning 404 and sometimes 200 very, very, weird.
403 a lot less so.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
"The path is not valid" and "you asked for a thing that doesn't exist" are the same thing, and the only way for them to be different are if you're leaking implementation details to the client.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

raminasi posted:

If

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Plorkyeran posted:

"The path is not valid" and "you asked for a thing that doesn't exist" are the same thing, and the only way for them to be different are if you're leaking implementation details to the client.
"/users/9783457" returning a 404 represents a different result than "/adsfojareff" returning a 404, and that's not an implementation detail unless your API is completely undocumented.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
API clients should not be constructing URLs to make requests to your API. Rather than telling clients "this user's ID is 123 and you can get the profile for a user at /users/$id", you should be telling them "the profile URL for this user is /users/123". The fact that /users/3236436456 and /dfsgkjhdfskgj probably hit different code paths in your application is an implementation detail.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

OddObserver posted:

I dunno, I find the idea of the same URL sometimes returning 404 and sometimes 200 very, very, weird.
403 a lot less so.

I'd expect the same behavior whether it's /product/123 or /product?id=123 or /product with "id=123" as a header. Which is that some numbers 200 and some 404. So if the same URL with different parameters is sometimes 404, that doesn't seem weird to me.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Plorkyeran posted:

API clients should not be constructing URLs to make requests to your API. Rather than telling clients "this user's ID is 123 and you can get the profile for a user at /users/$id", you should be telling them "the profile URL for this user is /users/123". The fact that /users/3236436456 and /dfsgkjhdfskgj probably hit different code paths in your application is an implementation detail.
What you're referring to is REST and what you're saying is "all APIs should be RESTful" which some might call a hot take

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Volte posted:

"/users/9783457" returning a 404 represents a different result than "/adsfojareff" returning a 404, and that's not an implementation detail unless your API is completely undocumented.

Plorkyoren is correct imo. “/users/93762” and “/adsfohdvx” are both valid paths. If your server doesn’t have a resource for “/adsfohdvx” then that is not different from a client perspective than the server not having a resource at “/users/93762”.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Plorkyeran posted:

yeah ok, roy fielding

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The real question is which status codes does Unity use?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

pokeyman posted:

The real question is which status codes does Unity use?

418 seems highly relevant to computer graphics?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Based on their recent acquisitions, 402 and 409, possibly 417

Of course that had to happen just as we were going into a Unity-based project..

hyphz fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 16, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OddObserver posted:

418 seems highly relevant to computer graphics?

Relevant if you're going to be putting the result on Steam

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Volte posted:

What you're referring to is REST and what you're saying is "all APIs should be RESTful" which some might call a hot take

More of HATEOAS (which is such a hilariously bad name) than just REST, but HATEOAS is just "use hypertext semantics for everything". If your API isn't trying to be hypertext then just use whatever status codes you want. If you're doing something like GraphQL or RPC tunneled over HTTP then the HTTP status codes are obviously only applicable to the HTTP layer and a 200 {"error": "not found"} response is perfectly sensible.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Plorkyeran posted:

More of HATEOAS (which is such a hilariously bad name)

Would you say that you hate the name? :v:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Plorkyeran posted:

Not really. The number of 4xx results you're producing isn't a particularly useful thing to measure in the first place, since that's by definition not something under your control.

I run outages for a living, and the number of bizarre and hard to troubleshoot outages perpetuated by this idea is high enough to be irritating.

To be clear, you're not fully wrong, but teams that just throw 4xx into a bucket and ignore it are missing the point that you can still cause 4xx errors through code. "Whoops, we put a bad link on our frontpage and suddenly 404s spike up' is something worth investigating, you just have to be more subtle about monitoring than simply 'error bad, cut ticket'.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I never learned how to pronounce HATEOAS. I normally go for something that sounds like “Hate O/S”.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

lifg posted:

I never learned how to pronounce HATEOAS. I normally go for something that sounds like “Hate O/S”.

If you want to make everyone mad, you could say "hat-e-o's"

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

leper khan posted:

If you want to make everyone mad, you could say "hat-e-o's"

Ooh, I'm definitely stealing that.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

YanniRotten posted:

Just add password fuzzing, it logs you in if you're PRETTY close.

I know you're joking, but I really do want some kind of 'eh, close enough' hashing algo for many applications.

Falcon2001 posted:

To be clear, you're not fully wrong, but teams that just throw 4xx into a bucket and ignore it are missing the point that you can still cause 4xx errors through code. "Whoops, we put a bad link on our frontpage and suddenly 404s spike up' is something worth investigating, you just have to be more subtle about monitoring than simply 'error bad, cut ticket'.

Just to expand on this, 4xx errors tell me something is wrong with my hideous chain of balancing servers and proxy passing in my backend (or a 503 if something local to but behind haproxy is down). An error in the API itself can be for many reasons including the client sending bad requests and shouldn't fall into any 4xx code but something that needs to be described internally, but in almost any case still involves telling the client 'hey, that request went through, but something is fucky' with a 200.

It works great until PHP decides to throw a wrench into the whole works with a bare 500 and buries the error in a log dir it maliciously changes the permissions on every restart...

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 16, 2022

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i don't get why "use uri from response to find other thing" is such a big deal for apis

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

lifg posted:

Hatechoass

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

I run outages for a living, and the number of bizarre and hard to troubleshoot outages perpetuated by this idea is high enough to be irritating.

Yeah, I think "measure" was the wrong word there. Large changes in the number of 4xx responses are interesting and worth monitoring, but the base rate mostly isn't. A dashboard which shows what percentage of your incoming requests are producing 4xx errors is just showing a meaningless number, but a dashboard which reports that your 4xx errors doubled in the last 24 hours is useful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/sheevink/status/1550997140280860673

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That's way less clunky than other ways to detect those languages, this is unequivocal progress!

Also lol.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
does C really default to int for auto when passed a very clearly not-int

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

AFAIK C will always try to compile things as ints if it can't figure out their type. A good compiler will throw a warning but it won't actually error out if the program can be compiled.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
iirc "auto" means something entirely different in C. In that particular case the statement is effectively "num = 9.5", which, missing a declarator, defaults to int.

But I'm pretty sure that's been invalid syntax for a while.

edit: C99 supposedly made it illegal to leave off the type declarator ("auto" is a STORAGE declarator in this case, akin to "static" or "const", not a TYPE declarator) so that means you have to compile as C89 OR C++11 (or higher).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah C++ repurposed the 'auto' keyword because nobody ever used it with the original meaning so it didn't really break anything.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I built it using x86-64 gcc (trunk) on godbolt and got a warning plus the described behavior.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

UraniumAnchor posted:

iirc "auto" means something entirely different in C. In that particular case the statement is effectively "num = 9.5", which, missing a declarator, defaults to int.

But I'm pretty sure that's been invalid syntax for a while.

edit: C99 supposedly made it illegal to leave off the type declarator ("auto" is a STORAGE declarator in this case, akin to "static" or "const", not a TYPE declarator) so that means you have to compile as C89 OR C++11 (or higher).

Yeah.

The real horror here is in the story not tweeted, about how a computer toucher copy-pasted some C++ code from stackoverflow into a C library and then spent 3 months trying to figure out why the library wasn't behaving correctly

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I mean, what is 19 but 18++? Sounds like C++ is doing its job, at least if you assume C = 18.

:pseudo:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

pokeyman posted:

That's way less clunky than other ways to detect those languages, this is unequivocal progress!

Also lol.

Nah, that's one of the worse ones. The best one (e.g. because it hasn't been deprecated, nor does it rely on compiler backcompat support) is taking sizeof 'a'.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Oh I thought I saw something about C23 changing auto to do proper type inference, so I assumed the tweet was about that.

Xarn posted:

Nah, that's one of the worse ones. The best one (e.g. because it hasn't been deprecated, nor does it rely on compiler backcompat support) is taking sizeof 'a'.

Ok that one is better.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Wait, in which language is sizeof('a') not 1?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

more falafel please posted:

Wait, in which language is sizeof('a') not 1?
In C, a char literal is an integer, not a char.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That's kinda hosed imo