Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

PT6A posted:

He really is just the most unfunny, gormless motherfucker. How he got a TV show is beyond me.

Useful idiot.

he gives the elites a friendly place to go when their PR firm tells them they need to appear more “relatable.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Chieves posted:

This is a better litmus test than a lot of people realize. What's fascinating is that here in Texas there's still a ton of Trump poo poo at these places but nothing for Abbott. We'll see if that actually matters in November one way or the other.

I'm not a Florida native and have only a passing knowledge of the 2022 Gubernatorial election. I'm assuming he's going to be reelected because Dems are lovely at coming out for midterms. But let's take that to 2024 when Dems are slightly less lovely about voting. Is that gap in voter passion enough to shift Florida from Red to Blue? Are there enough anti-DeSantis people in the state to create a shift?

It's anecdotal and I realize that but I think there's something to be gleaned from the things I see and hear. It's rather rare for ANY politician to generate an industry of flags, t-shirts and banners. In my lifetime, I've only ever really seen it with Trump, now DeSantis and, to a lesser extent, Barrack Obama.

Ron will absolutely win re-election. Easily. There may be more registered democrats in FL than Republicans but the party itself may as well not even exist and are remarkably invisible and ineffectual. They don't do poo poo. They have no organization, coherent message or really anything resembling a platform, let alone a presence. I've tried to get involved with the party here and it's a loving joke.

The guy that DeSantis beat is being charged with election finance crimes and, before that, the biggest name on a Democratic ticket here in this poo poo hole state was former Republican Charlie Crist, who lost. Florida is a solid red state for the foreseeable future and I don't see any names on the Dem bench that are going to inspire anyone.

The state loves DeSantis right now mainly for his unorthodox approach to handling COVID, for better or worse.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

The state loves DeSantis right now mainly for his unorthodox approach to handling COVID, for better or worse.

Pretending COVID doesn't exist, falsifying data, and going after people who try to actually do their job isn't exactly unorthodox for Republicans.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PT6A posted:

He really is just the most unfunny, gormless motherfucker. How he got a TV show is beyond me.

Lorne Michaels. Lorne used his massive pull at NBC to get Fallon slotted into Late Night after Conan O'Brien took over the Tonight Show because Fallon was Lorne's SNL golden boy. And then after Jay Leno blew up the Tonight Show by running back into the room and detonating a C4 vest right in Conan's face, Jimmy Fallon eventually inherited the wreckage because he'd gone from being "that unfunny pube who comes on at midnight" to being the heir apparent in like a year and a half after Leno got bored with his stolen prize and retired a second time and hosed off to CNBC.

The happy ending here is that Stephen Colbert came along about a year later and just ruthlessly poo poo down Fallon's neck with The Late Show and Fallon has been a late night after thought behind him and Jimmy Kimmel ever since, largely because of how he patted Trump on the head like a good little doggy.

Seth Meyers is a far better host anyway.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'll die mad about what they did to Conan.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mdemone posted:

I'll die mad about what they did to Conan.

This remains an extremely hosed up thing to have done to a TV personality and their crew

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

This remains an extremely hosed up thing to have done to a TV personality and their crew

AND HE WAS SO GOOD AT IT

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
OTOH, who knows if we would have gotten Clueless Gamer in that timeline, so who's to say if it's good or bad actually.

Wait, what thread is this?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

All because Conan used to make fun of Jeff Zucker in college, so Zucker got back at him by destroying his dream job because he was a tiny, grudge holding cocksmear.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm sorry, not to exacerbate a derail, but what happened to Conan?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Mostly wrestled giant snakes, some of which used to be wizards.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

He was promised the Tonight Show publicly by Jay Leno as a part of an orderly succession plan in advance of Leno's retirement. Only Leno didn't want to retire from late night TV so NBC gave him a token half hour show at 10:30 as a lead in to Conan on the Tonight Show. Only Leno's show sucked and was a ratings drag on both the Tonight Show and local NBC affiliate 11PM news, so Jeff Zucker, who was the head of NBC at the time decided he was going to kill the Tonight Show to save Jay Leno and stick it to his old college rival Conan. Conan went "gently caress this, I have too much respect for the Tonight Show to see all of you pricks do this to it, I quit" and left NBC after like 20 years as a mainstay on the network.

Leno comes strutting back into the now utterly tarnished Tonight Show like "Eeeey, so what did I miss? Nuhhuhuhu!" and Conan had to spend a year in exile doing sold out stage shows because Zucker forced him into an insane non-compete contract as a part of his severance payout from NBC. Conan then got his show on TBS, who bent over backwards to accommodate him after he got screwed by NBC, and then like two years later Leno decided he was bored with doing late night TV and retired from the Tonight Show for real, leaving Jimmy Fallon to gormlessly trip into the smoking crater Leno walked away from.

Hopefully that explains it well enough to sew up this derail. Anyway, BACK TO TRUMP

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

https://www.hollywoodinsider.com/conan-o-brien-the-tonight-show/

I haven't read that article but I'm sure it covers the highlights. Fuckin' shameful behavior.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Apparently on the Sunday talk shows, four 1/6 committee members (including both Republicans) say that the DOJ should open a criminal investigation into Trump. So, I think a criminal referral when they are done is pretty likely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nine-gear crow posted:

Lorne Michaels. Lorne used his massive pull at NBC to get Fallon slotted into Late Night after Conan O'Brien took over the Tonight Show because Fallon was Lorne's SNL golden boy. And then after Jay Leno blew up the Tonight Show by running back into the room and detonating a C4 vest right in Conan's face, Jimmy Fallon eventually inherited the wreckage because he'd gone from being "that unfunny pube who comes on at midnight" to being the heir apparent in like a year and a half after Leno got bored with his stolen prize and retired a second time and hosed off to CNBC.

The happy ending here is that Stephen Colbert came along about a year later and just ruthlessly poo poo down Fallon's neck with The Late Show and Fallon has been a late night after thought behind him and Jimmy Kimmel ever since, largely because of how he patted Trump on the head like a good little doggy.

Seth Meyers is a far better host anyway.

Fallon is by far the worst and in addition to Conan getting hosed over, I'm incredibly disappointed that Craig Ferguson never really got his due, because his show was amazing. From the robot cohost to Sid the Cursing Bunny and other puppets, to making explicit fun of how loving stupid Twitter is, he was so loving far ahead of everyone else.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rigel posted:

Apparently on the Sunday talk shows, four 1/6 committee members (including both Republicans) say that the DOJ should open a criminal investigation into Trump. So, I think a criminal referral when they are done is pretty likely.

There are currently 12 criminal investigations on going around the events of J06.

https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1547093929513742337

I say 12 because since that thread we know that there is an investigation opened into the USSS.

A formal criminal referral that lays everything out over a few hundred pages of testimony and evidence would be nice too though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'll believe it when I see it.

And will not hold my breath.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Steve Bannon talks a lot of poo poo about what a hardass he is. He still has I suppose three-six months before he actually has to serve his sentence, whatever that might be. Thirty days to two years, depending. Maybe he thinks he can handle it but I suspect he's only delaying the inevitable as long as possible in the hopes he'll luck out somehow on a technicality, or only have to do a quick stint before he is pardoned.

Virginia Thomas, on the other hand, is a mentally ill church lady fascist.

I'm pretty sure she has no illusions about her ability to survive in prison. I bet her mind has been occupied with questions about whether her marriage to a SCOTUS judge is enough to keep her out. I would expect it is enough, but poo poo. That's never been tested, has it? She does not strike me as tough. She's as smart as granite and as loving as Susan Smith. How is she going to handle a subpoena vs. criminal contempt? Because she has no plausible claim to the protections Mark Meadows has been granted. Best case for her is to go like Flynn and just plead the fifth, right?

She's got to be the type to do whatever she must to avoid prison. I wonder what that leaves her. She's publicly doubled-down about her actions since being mentioned by the committee, but does that mean she'll talk under oath? I doubt that. But what is she left?

She's a real inconvenience.

And typing that sentence just now lit a light bulb over my head that makes me feel gross, and afraid.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Fart Amplifier posted:

I don't think Trump voters care about CNNs coverage

Good number of Obama voters switched to Trump in 2016.

Coverage matters.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Good number of Obama voters switched to Trump in 2016.

Coverage matters.

Adding to the Conan thread, Zuckerberg had moved to CNN by this time. Zuckerberg enabled Trump and his game show on NBC and he enabled Trump by covering his rallies on CNN.

e: Less Zuckerberg more Zucker

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 25, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Automatic Slim posted:

Adding to the Conan thread, Zuckerberg had moved to CNN by this time. Zuckerberg enabled Trump and his game show on NBC and he enabled Trump by covering his rallies on CNN.

Zucker was also famous quoted on the matter of whether Trump was bad for the United States and the world if he gained the power of the presidency as basically saying "Oh yes, of course he is. But it'll be great for CNN's ratings!"

Just the worst level of scumbag imaginable, even worse than Trump somehow.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Virginia Thomas, on the other hand, is a mentally ill church lady fascist.

I'm pretty sure she has no illusions about her ability to survive in prison. I bet her mind has been occupied with questions about whether her marriage to a SCOTUS judge is enough to keep her out.

She’s a true believer, that she could be failed by her god is not something that has crossed her mind.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

There was a twitter thread detailing all of the possible charges that may or may not be brought as a result of the hearings. I could have sworn it was in here, and I could have sworn it was from @MuellerSheWrote, but I can't seem to find it in either. Does anyone happen to have it?

edit - lol never mind it's on this loving page sorry

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

InsertPotPun posted:

mmmmeh. you need a cult of personality to get trump numbers, desantis isn't going to gather a trump cult of personality because he's a grumpy dickhead who isn't entertaining in the least. chuds need trump's "humor" to hide behind, "it's just a joke, bro" is a gigantic part of the chud playbook and trump, being objectively funny either on purpose or by accident, is a lot of what makes him bulletproof. they used to refer to nixon as "charming" and "funny" too despite the fact that he was a bitter old toad who took pleasure in other people's pain....hey that sounds like trump!

With the way the Republican party is now, DeSantis could run on a platform of entirely "Own the libs" and "all our problems are caused by (group of people Chuds don't like)" and cakewalk to the nomination

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

With the way the Republican party is now, DeSantis could run on a platform of entirely "Own the libs" and "all our problems are caused by (group of people Chuds don't like)" and cakewalk to the nomination

This is basically the entirety of the RNC platform and literally whomever their candidate is will run on these pillars.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
American politics feels more and more like Green Street Hooligans everyday. Wonder what our version of Prime Minister's Questions would look like.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1551583450553090050

in lighter news. lol/

-Blackadder- posted:

American politics feels more and more like Green Street Hooligans everyday. Wonder what our version of Prime Minister's Questions would look like.

i think your giving the UK too much credit. i feel like the UK media would defend this poo poo way way more and louder then the US media. US media sucks/etc but UK is all different stripes of fox news from what here.

i mean yeah but he also has not charisma and if trump runs, desantis is hosed because he is a really shitt pale reflection of trump with none of the hosed up charms.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

You're all still trying to prognosticate beyond the event horizon that is "whatever happens with Trump".

Book title: We need to talk about Donald.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

Zucker was also famous quoted on the matter of whether Trump was bad for the United States and the world if he gained the power of the presidency as basically saying "Oh yes, of course he is. But it'll be great for CNN's ratings!"

Just the worst level of scumbag imaginable, even worse than Trump somehow.

So he acknowledges that Trump generates tons of content, what's so bad about that?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mdemone posted:

You're all still trying to prognosticate beyond the event horizon that is "whatever happens with Trump".

Book title: We need to talk about Donald.

yeah trump is running if he can no matter what and that election is still a year and half or so out. i suspect he announce before labor day and mid terms. anyway we will have a month to get weird and poo poo about this before more hearings start again

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think your giving the UK too much credit. i feel like the UK media would defend this poo poo way way more and louder then the US media. US media sucks/etc but UK is all different stripes of fox news from what here.
Oh it wasn't my intention to suggest anything one way or the other on that point. Despite my avatar I have to defer on the quality of UK media as I know nothing about it, I just think Blackadder is a gangster. All I meant was that the increasingly refined factionalism of American politics feels like it's starting to reach its boiling point.

As far as American PMQs, maybe they'd be more violent given how many American politicians apparently sneak in guns and knives into congress. OTOH it's always been interesting how much more rowdy UK parliament is than US Congress.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
E: conversation moved past it, disregard

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 25, 2022

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
And now in the "I thought Fawni Willis was smarter than this" category, she hosted a fundraiser for the opponent of Burt Jones, who is a) running for GA Lt. Gov. and b) a target of her fake electors special grand jury. I'm sure it is entirely legal but the judge called it a "what were you thinking" moment and all I can do is agree.
The investigation and prosecution of Burt Jones will now have to be moved to another court.

There is no loving margin for this kind of stupidity. This is a slam-dunk and the Nazis are gonna cry foul no matter what happens but for gently caress's sake can we not score every own goal along the way?

quote:

Judge blocks Georgia DA from developing case against Republican state senator in Trump investigation

A Georgia judge on Monday blocked Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis from investigating Burt Jones, a Republican state senator, as part of the investigation into efforts by former President Donald Trump and his allies to overturn the 2020 presidential election in that state.

Jones is one of 16 fake Trump electors who signed on to the “unofficial electorate certificate” in a plan to subvert the Electoral College in the 2020 election.

Jones is currently running for lieutenant governor in Georgia against Democrat Charlie Bailey. Willis hosted a campaign fundraiser for Bailey last month and donated to his primary campaign earlier this year.

In his ruling, Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney said Willis’ office may “ask witnesses about the Senator’s role in the various efforts the State Republican party undertook to call into question the legitimacy of the results of the election. What her office may not do is make sure of any such evidence to develop a case against the Senator.”

Last week, McBurney criticized Willis during a hearing for hosting the fundraiser for the Democratic candidate.

“It’s a ‘What are you thinking’ moment,” McBurney said. “The optics are horrific.”

The Prosecuting Attorney’s Council of Georgia will select a replacement district attorney’s office that can question Jones, according to Georgia law.

Willis’ office and Jones’ spokesperson did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Jones, in a tweet, called the ruling a “HUGE win for our campaign – but more importantly, for due process and the rule of law in Georgia.” His attorneys had argued that Willis’ political actions should disqualify her and suggested asking Georgia’s attorney general to appoint a new district attorney to oversee the case.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

And now in the "I thought Fawni Willis was smarter than this" category, she hosted a fundraiser for the opponent of Burt Jones, who is a) running for GA Lt. Gov. and b) a target of her fake electors special grand jury. I'm sure it is entirely legal but the judge called it a "what were you thinking" moment and all I can do is agree.
The investigation and prosecution of Burt Jones will now have to be moved to another court.

There is no loving margin for this kind of stupidity. This is a slam-dunk and the Nazis are gonna cry foul no matter what happens but for gently caress's sake can we not score every own goal along the way?

I'm not getting all in a panic over this. Having the judge make this ruling that the guy still would be investigated but not by her actually adds to the legitimacy of the process. Had the judge NOT removed her as the DA and let her continue the GOP would have made a lot more noise over this.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Speaking of the investigations:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1551690152736694272

Short was at the Capitol and with Pence, and has previously been shown in video in the congressional hearings. Unclear about what he talked about specifically, but wonder if some discussion of Pence's USSS detail and/or discussion of what they were talking about that day is involved.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mirotic posted:

Speaking of the investigations:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1551690152736694272

Short was at the Capitol and with Pence, and has previously been shown in video in the congressional hearings. Unclear about what he talked about specifically, but wonder if some discussion of Pence's USSS detail and/or discussion of what they were talking about that day is involved.

This is for the OOJ charge, they can collect heaps of evidence for that alone, to begin with.

Or maybe also 1512.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

This is for the OOJ charge, they can collect heaps of evidence for that alone, to begin with.

Or maybe also 1512.
Sorry, I can't place OOJ. Please elaborate what's OOJ and what's 1512? This sounds like possible confirmation of mattering.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry, I can't place OOJ. Please elaborate what's OOJ and what's 1512? This sounds like possible confirmation of mattering.

Obstruction of justice, and tampering with a witness, if I'm not mistaken.

Dark_Adonis
Apr 10, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

Obstruction of Justice and 1512 is likely referring to https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1512 or witness tampering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

1512(c) in this context is "obstructing an official proceeding". Lots of J6 defenders have already been convicted of that.