Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
e: more found comics

BasicLich has a new favorite as of 08:04 on Jul 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

I love Casey's coloring/shading, and that TV speaker's aggressive speech bubble background texture is a great idea. But the TV speaker character is maybe too confusing/abstract? Is it hovering at height in front of the chalkboard or is that almost a separate panel? And neither arm looks proportionate, or too detailed or not detailed enough, its right forearm/elbow is really odd and lining it up with the background room corner line draws the eye to it

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

"I have the ability to affect people's feelings! I kissed this lesbian and now she's smiling!"

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

B Squad Leader posted:

I love Casey's coloring/shading, and that TV speaker's aggressive speech bubble background texture is a great idea. But the TV speaker character is maybe too confusing/abstract? Is it hovering at height in front of the chalkboard or is that almost a separate panel? And neither arm looks proportionate, or too detailed or not detailed enough, its right forearm/elbow is really odd and lining it up with the background room corner line draws the eye to it

It is hovering entirely, and both arms are both disproportionate, almost falling apart. I think I missed the mark with what I intended, I wanted something that looked "wrong" in every aspect, while being recognizably human-esque. I wanted it to be constantly oozing like an open wound, and covered in teeth and eyes while visibly falling apart. I wanted you to look at him and go "gently caress ew," and then juxtapose that initial feeling with a big cracked LCD smile, and casual clothing, and a relaxed pose, like he knows he looks like a hosed up fun house mirror of a person, but he has a job to do, and he likes doing it so he'll try his best. I even made his fingers these square hosed up lore olympus sausages because I find them grotesque and off-putting.

Elfface posted:

"I have the ability to affect people's feelings! I kissed this lesbian and now she's smiling!"

lmao.

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

It is hovering entirely, and both arms are both disproportionate, almost falling apart. I think I missed the mark with what I intended, I wanted something that looked "wrong" in every aspect, while being recognizably human-esque. I wanted it to be constantly oozing like an open wound, and covered in teeth and eyes while visibly falling apart. I wanted you to look at him and go "gently caress ew," and then juxtapose that initial feeling with a big cracked LCD smile, and casual clothing, and a relaxed pose, like he knows he looks like a hosed up fun house mirror of a person, but he has a job to do, and he likes doing it so he'll try his best. I even made his fingers these square hosed up lore olympus sausages because I find them grotesque and off-putting.

lmao.

You got the "wrong" right for sure, but you could probably go even more off-putting if that's the intention. Maybe standing up straight and in-shape is too formal, sort of slumped or hunchbacked might fit your vibe? RGB from Property Of Hate is very sharply dressed and has that straight-line cartoon action, perhaps yours works better with more curved/rounded features?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

forming
31-36

last time: beasts attack mankind so the nephilim decide to get their dicks wet; ghob is furious at the continued move away from nature by the atlanteans; noah is a useless cock

they're a bit smaller this time so you get more comics

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I see he's just plain stealing ideas from Lovecraft's Commonplace Book now.

quote:

Inhabitants of Zinge, over whom the star Canopus rises every night, are always gay and without sorrow. [x]
:hmmyes:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Boba Pearl posted:

I think his character design would make more sense if he showed up in more than one panel, and we saw him from another side, maybe. I like the concept, but it needs more space to shine.

I also really like that you're leaning into "let's have some dang conversations up in here instead of just punch".

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~

Sleve McDichael posted:

Hmm yes, I'm sure all heavy consequences will be avoided :hmmyes:

GU...
GUU...

GURUU
..!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sleve McDichael posted:

GU...
GUU...

GURUU
..!

This is gonna end with the gross guy drinking their bath water, isn't it? :gonk:

Though if that turns out to be true, Junji Ito really was ahead of his time.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm trying to make the comic look grittier and more textured, tell me if you like it, there's a few shading styles and stuff in there as I experimented a lot, and wanted to get opinions on things. Let me know if a panel sucks or rules visually!

I’m not usually a reader of your comic, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. But this last set of panels caught my eye and helped frame some of what i like and dislike about the art.

Someone previously mentioned your linework being inconsistent. I think you’re getting better at it now. I also like the grittiness, it helps the make the visual style and color pallete look less thorsby-like.

The last panel here is very good. It feels like all the visual elements go together as a cohesive style.

The two panels before look strange to me. I think the flat blue on the tongue and eyes make them look like stickers on top of the comic. I’m not sure what it takes to make them appear more visually consistent though. Maybe some shading, color variation/texture or something.

But then, the saliva detail feels over worked on top of that, as if somehow its too detailed for the rest of the art. It is a remarkably horny bit of drawing, and i cant tell you exactly why, so i’m assuming that bit was conveyed very well.

Your art has really improved since you started posting it. B Squad Leader’s recommendation of looking at Property of Hate I think is a good recommendation in additional ways. The panels with wilder color pallets and action could give you some good points of reference.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Also lol Lore Olympus won best webcomic
This was in the New York Times daily newsletter today:

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

No, you don't know Ray Smuckles.

The chickens are given lady-blumpkins

This is why we don't see more of Todd.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I love this

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Squidster posted:

Qualia the Purple
Episode 14: 14-18 of 28

Qualia the Purple
Episode 14: 19-28 of 28

--Kill Count---
Gaku: 2 x Jaunt, 1 x Gaku, 3 x Alice, 2 x Dorothy Frank
Jaunt: 1 x Yukari's entire family, 1 x Gaku, 1 x Plane
Marii Yukari: 1 x serial killer
Serial killer: 1 x cop

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Shirley

Yes, Mori spent the better part of five pages to just show off Shirley's new maid uniform.

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Jul 24, 2022

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
strong labyrinth guy energy here

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
https://lpix.org/4335724/bleatup.jpg :nws:

e: It's not frontal it's in the background and I dont think your boss likes you looking at comics at work anyways but I put it in a link

Somebody has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Jul 25, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

PYF Comic is a little more lax about NWS stuff that most of the threads here but I think we draw the line at full frontal nudity.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Selklubber posted:

e: It's not frontal it's in the background
I'm left wondering what you think "full frontal" means in the context of nudity.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my boss would fire me if he found this on our systems

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Graveyard Quest
Part 3.3

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

And that's the end of Shooting Star. Turns out the cure for getting space gunned is getting space gunned again. Hair of the dog. :kiss:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

World Famous W posted:

Graveyard Quest
Part 3.3

Aw :)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

e-dt posted:

The chickens are given lady-blumpkins
Ottawa Modified Death is a strong username

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KennyMan666 posted:

Yes, Mori spent the better part of five pages to just show off Shirley's new maid uniform.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
todays oglaf is slightly nws but the song sung to the tune of sponge bob theme song is A+

not sure the rules on linking nws stuff so i wont but go check it out

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Selklubber posted:

e: It's not frontal it's in the background and I dont think your boss likes you looking at comics at work anyways but I put it in a link

The "hermaphroditic overlords from outer space impregnating Eve against a big rear end rock" comic regularly features genitals of several kinds and I don't think anyone ITT gives a poo poo. Post away my dude.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The "hermaphroditic overlords from outer space impregnating Eve against a big rear end rock" comic regularly features genitals of several kinds and I don't think anyone ITT gives a poo poo. Post away my dude.

That's different, it's from the Bible and therefore respectable unlike the rest of the heathen smut that gets posted here.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Also it got posted like seven posts upthread

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Laserjet 4P posted:

strong labyrinth guy energy here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Squidster posted:

Qualia the Purple
Episode 14: 2-8 ( I'm saving the title page for a little bit )

The chapter's over. Where is my title page Squidster

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:hmmyes:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Arthur's pictures are probably all of Oscar night.

Mr T recorded that album just to make a car payment

Monotremes love a good oil salad

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

If only someone shouting "BE HAPPY" at you worked :(

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
Boys' Night Out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

trapped mouse posted:

The chapter's over. Where is my title page Squidster
I have failed you. Back to the start once again!

I'd wanted to delay the magic maid reveal for a few days.