Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/HulkaMatt/status/1551290170619691011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

GRESHAM: beats non champion Jay Lethal... defends vs. Bandido...Dalton Castle....Lee Moriarty. Loses to Claudio in pitiful 11:30.

XAVIER: beats first ever champion Low Ki. Defends vs. Jay Briscoe...AJ Styles....Paul London. Loses to Samoa Joe - the longest reigning ROH champions in history - in hardfought 11:56

It's clear who looks stronger here, and it is not Gresham.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)

MotU posted:

Sounds like he was upset about lack of communication and the match length!

considering he couldn't make it through a face-to-face conversation with his boss without cursing him out, seems just as likely that actually the lines of communication were open, gresham was just being an rear end in a top hat

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Fart Radio posted:

considering he couldn't make it through a face-to-face conversation with his boss without cursing him out, seems just as likely that actually the lines of communication were open, gresham was just being an rear end in a top hat

Hrm, I don't think that is it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fart Radio posted:

Deppen was on the preshow and said it was easy to talk to Tony when he replied to Joey who was saying Tony was easy to talk to, so it doesn't seem like it was an issue was the lines of communication.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

MassRafTer posted:

Deppen was on the preshow and said it was easy to talk to Tony when he replied to Joey who was saying Tony was easy to talk to, so it doesn't seem like it was an issue was the lines of communication.

If Tony wants to just be the guy who has nice conversations with people then he needs to hire someone to have the difficult conversations, because it seems like he's bad at having those.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

MotU posted:

Hrm, I don't think that is it.

ok, you do realize at this point you're just choosing to ignore facts that suggest that gresham is in the wrong here, right?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Fart Radio posted:

ok, you do realize at this point you're just choosing to ignore facts that suggest that gresham is in the wrong here, right?

You have conjecture, not facts. Neither of us have facts. We're both basing our opinions on he we perceive the conversation went with only third party information about what went down. Please try to understand what "facts" are, and why I said the word <think> specifically and not "no, that is not what it is". You need to learn how to have a conversation with people, much like Tony Khan. In fact, you stated he was upset about losing to Claudio, when the third party info specifically said match length and did not mention winning or losing.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lumbermouth posted:

If Tony wants to just be the guy who has nice conversations with people then he needs to hire someone to have the difficult conversations, because it seems like he's bad at having those.

That would be Christopher Daniels, head of talent relations' job, yes - (edit: although I guess I don't know if he's also doing that for RoH)

If Gresham wants out, let him go, not a huge deal. Not everyone is going to be happy, and he would have had a decent spot in the company, but not the top guy champion for a long time kind of spot. At least he did the job on the way out, can't fault him there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think Jonathan Gresham tried to talk to Tony Khan but Tony couldn't hear him because his voice didn't carry far enough to reach his ears

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Alaois posted:

I think Jonathan Gresham tried to talk to Tony Khan but Tony couldn't hear him because his voice didn't carry far enough to reach his ears

Cocaine can make tinnitus worse

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i will only miss gresham a little bit

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

edogawa rando posted:

Is starting off a PPV a bad thing? When you look at Tony Khan's booking, he's more often than not started the show with a fairly big match.

Lately, in every promotion, it seems like the opener is supposed to be the second most important match after the main event. In many years past, it was called 'curtain jerking' and it was supposed to be the least over match.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

StarkRavingMad posted:

That would be Christopher Daniels, head of talent relations' job, yes - (edit: although I guess I don't know if he's also doing that for RoH)

If Gresham wants out, let him go, not a huge deal. Not everyone is going to be happy, and he would have had a decent spot in the company, but not the top guy champion for a long time kind of spot. At least he did the job on the way out, can't fault him there.

Is Christopher Daniels the head of talent relations at ROH? That seems like a bad idea from an organizational standpoint.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

should be kazarian for parity

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

edogawa rando posted:

Is starting off a PPV a bad thing? When you look at Tony Khan's booking, he's more often than not started the show with a fairly big match.

Opening with a big match for Dynamite/Rampage makes sense to me, you want to retain the random TV audience who's only tuning in after whatever comes before AEW. With PPVs, it's fans who are already commited to the product that's watching, so it feels a little "Let's just get this over and done with," especially considering the match length.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lumbermouth posted:

He pretty clearly had a difficult conversation with Gresham just yesterday. From the interview Gresham did that was published before the show it seems like he had his mind made up things weren't going to go well. And again, Daniels is the head of talent relations. So that person exists. Either Daniels is hard to find or some people expect to talk to Tony, not Daniels.

But this doesn't seem like a talent relations conversation anyway it seems like one he wanted to have with the head of creative which is Tony.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Opening with a big match for Dynamite/Rampage makes sense to me, you want to retain the random TV audience who's only tuning in after whatever comes before AEW. With PPVs, it's fans who are already commited to the product that's watching, so it feels a little "Let's just get this over and done with," especially considering the match length.

On the scrum, Tony said he wanted a great match to kick off the show and to set the pace for the night. Rang true last night, rings true now. The tag match almost had to be the last match, and putting the title match right before it accentuates the idea that it's second best. Also I think Caprice and Ian did a good job selling the decision as a literal coin flip.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i get the impression from people's mixed impressions on how approachable he is that if you seek out and talk to tony he'll talk to you, but he won't go out and initiate conversations with people without reason, so sitting and waiting for tony is gonna get you nowhere (as mjf found out). idk if that's a good or a bad thing but maybe daniels should start scheduling regular check-ins with everyone to make people not feel ignored

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Putting a big high energy match on to open a pape is a pretty standard booking move to get the crowd pumped up

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thanlis posted:

On the scrum, Tony said he wanted a great match to kick off the show and to set the pace for the night. Rang true last night, rings true now. The tag match almost had to be the last match, and putting the title match right before it accentuates the idea that it's second best. Also I think Caprice and Ian did a good job selling the decision as a literal coin flip.

If you were told the show order and results before the show you might second guess it.

But second guessing it after is just living in an alternate reality. The first match was hotter than it would have been later in the show, and nothing but the tag title match could close that show. Both from a match quality stand point and also from having FTR out there doing 10 minutes of posing, giving kids a special moment and dissing Vince McMahon.

If I'm Gresham I'm probably annoyed at the match length, but you are in there vs a red hot talent who is being pushed as hard as Joe in 2003, and Joe went over Xavier in just under 12 minutes too.

flatluigi posted:

i get the impression from people's mixed impressions on how approachable he is that if you seek out and talk to tony he'll talk to you, but he won't go out and initiate conversations with people without reason, so sitting and waiting for tony is gonna get you nowhere (as mjf found out). idk if that's a good or a bad thing but maybe daniels should start scheduling regular check-ins with everyone to make people not feel ignored

There are definitely stories of Tony just coming up to people to talk or yell LET'S loving GO.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Gresham was going over he wouldn't give a poo poo about match time, card placement, or communication issues.

Dude went out there in a T-shirt and pouty face doing his best Low-Ki impression. Claudio is lucky he didn't no-sell him.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

MotU posted:

You have conjecture, not facts. Neither of us have facts. We're both basing our opinions on he we perceive the conversation went with only third party information about what went down. Please try to understand what "facts" are, and why I said the word <think> specifically and not "no, that is not what it is". You need to learn how to have a conversation with people, much like Tony Khan. In fact, you stated he was upset about losing to Claudio, when the third party info specifically said match length and did not mention winning or losing.

you've been rationalizing gresham's behavior ever since MRT said he has been difficult to work with, searching for a reason why your admittedly unfounded conjecture gets to ignore the actual facts here. i said he *apparently* was upset about losing to claudio, because that's what my interpretation of the facts that gresham 1. got a face-to-face with TK before the show and cussed him out and 2. was visibly upset coming out for a match he was booked to lose (something that i believe is a pretty lovely thing to do) let me to believe. you tried to say i was wrong because of what you just said was conjecture. so spare me your opinions on how i talk to people who want to start condescending arguments with me for no reason

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

If you were told the show order and results before the show you might second guess it.

But second guessing it after is just living in an alternate reality. The first match was hotter than it would have been later in the show, and nothing but the tag title match could close that show.

Couldn’t agree more. I was cheering for Gresham for reasons that boil down to parasocial relationships but I picked Claudio to win and I think he was clearly the right winner.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

El Generico posted:

Lately, in every promotion, it seems like the opener is supposed to be the second most important match after the main event. In many years past, it was called 'curtain jerking' and it was supposed to be the least over match.

One of things Jericho said about his Wrestlemania match with KO was that he pissed about its spot on the card because it was the second match of the show. And he didn't expect it to be the main event once Lesnar/Goldberg was announced but: "The difference was we went from the main event to being put on second. Now, that’s an insult, because the second match is just another match,” said Jericho. “Either you’re on last, or you’re on first, and maybe the semi-main event. But that’s it. Those are your big money spots for WrestleMania."

So it does seem like at least some wrestlers consider the first match a "money" spot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

If Gresham was going over he wouldn't give a poo poo about match time, card placement, or communication issues.

Dude went out there in a T-shirt and pouty face doing his best Low-Ki impression. Claudio is lucky he didn't no-sell him.

Claudio wanted to do a spot where he put his hand on Gresham's forehead while Gresham failed to punch him because his arms are too small but Gresham was insulted at the idea a Pure wrestler would throw punches.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

StarkRavingMad posted:

One of things Jericho said about his Wrestlemania match with KO was that he pissed about it's spot on the card because it was the second match of the show. And he didn't expect it to be the main event once Lesnar/Goldberg was announced but: "The difference was we went from the main event to being put on second. Now, that’s an insult, because the second match is just another match,” said Jericho. “Either you’re on last, or you’re on first, and maybe the semi-main event. But that’s it. Those are your big money spots for WrestleMania."

So it does seem like at least some wrestlers consider the first match a "money" spot.

It is because a dead opener legit impacts the show is a negative way. The only real downside I see to the opening match is that people tuning in slightly late may miss part/all of it

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Fightful Select has learned many additional details about the lead up to Jonathan Gresham requesting his AEW/ROH release.

We're told that Gresham met with Tony Khan and others at 4 PM EST before Death Before Dishonor, and was admittedly heated, and not happy with the direction of the booking and his character. It was agreed upon that the context of the conversation would remain private, and details originally didn't seem to emerge from anyone in the room, however by the time the conversation was over, much of the locker room and staff could physically hear how it went down. Building security was even said to have overheard the conversation.

Gresham had spoken with QT Marshall multiple times over the past week, albeit briefly, which we've heard went well. It was also noted that Sonjay Dutt was a point of contact. The frustration on Gresham's part seemed to be the direction of creative, which ultimately ends with Tony Khan, and not being able to be given answers as a result. Gresham was supposedly told that those decisions had to be ran through Tony, who he wasn't able to meet with until a few hours before the show.

The general preferred process is that talent speaks to one of the AEW coaches, who are then in contact with Tony Khan. If the conversations are about booking, they have to be relayed to Tony Khan. The coaches pass on dozens of ideas either from themselves or talent to Khan, who is then in charge of making those ideas a reality or deciding they don't fit. Those answers are then to be relayed back to the talent. For those asking about names involved in that, it's usually AEW coaches, as well as Christopher Daniels, QT Marshall, Pat Buck. We're told that Megha Parekh and Sonjay Dutt also help out and Khan is in communication with them at least ten times a day.
There are also plenty of situations in which Tony Khan has made efforts to talk directly to talent, although numerous have said that it's declined since the Daily's Place era due to the changing of the world and travel in general.

It was said that the AEW side of things believed that Gresham came into the meeting with his mind made up, and they'd not seen him heated like that before, chalking it up to Gresham being passionate about his beliefs in ROH, the brand, and himself. They felt as if there was a disconnect between the access to speak with people about their creative, and it becoming perceived "creative control." Gresham was said to have a vision for his creative direction and where things should go with him, and it was different from what Tony Khan and ROH had hoped for him. Specifically, we learned that Gresham wasn't in favor of turning heel, but that ROH believed there was a "bigger picture" for that. We're told that the finish had been at least hinted to Gresham, but no word on if he knew before Saturday.

In the past, several former AEW talent have spoken about the lack of communication within talent relations being a point of frustration for them. Joey Janela confirmed to Fightful that he hadn't reached out to AEW coaches prior to his exit. Marko Stunt had emailed AEW in an official capacity, but we haven't heard about follow up to coaches themselves on his part.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Seems like a perfect storm of Gresham taking himself just a bit too seriously and Khan having too much on his plate to deal with everyone. The reigning World Champion of the promotion you just bought should be one of the people you go out of your way to talk to. I hope they're able to have a conversation and Gresham stays with ROH in the main event scene. Failing that I hope he does well in Impact or wherever.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If I'm Claudio I'd be pretty pissed that Gresham went and made this about himself

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Coaaab posted:

since the inaugural aew world title match, it has been either the penultimate or final match on the ppv shows

Hangman Page defended the world title in the opening match several times.

AEW Dynamite, March 9 2022 (Dante vs Hangman)
AEW Dynamite, January 5 2022 (Danielson vs Hangman)
AEW Dynamite, December 15 (Danielson vs Hangman)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gresham is 100% the type of guy who's laying out a match with his opponent and keeps going "my character wouldn't do that"

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
my only regret is that we never got Gresham/Singh

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i will only miss gresham a little bit

I choose to imagine the conversation was like something out of a poorly scripted comedy, where TK kept inadvertently making comments that Gresham took as insults about his height, but TK was completely unaware of what he had just said or why Gresham was getting madder and madder about it

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I choose to imagine the conversation was like something out of a poorly scripted comedy, where TK kept inadvertently making comments that Gresham took as insults about his height, but TK was completely unaware of what he had just said or why Gresham was getting madder and madder about it

Tony : “I know you’re a little angry, but there’s no reason to be so short with me! Now I know these plans went way over your head, but I assure you you’re well respected here and I hope with some time you can look up to me. You seem like a down to earth guy, so hopefully we can talk this through without any more of these micro-aggressions…”

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Congratulations to all the serious professional wrestling fans in this thread for not making a "short reign" joke.

If Gresham thought he was going to be the face of ROH moving forward, he has quite an imagination, I guess. TK has about 30 bigger draws than him under contract right now, and you should probably try to earn your booker a dollar or two before expecting your creative vision to be considered. Maybe we missed out on an incredible story of Jonathan Gresham's rise to becoming a money-printing grapplehero in ROH and now that story can be told in a different promotion.

Like, I get that everybody hates their boss, but if yours says "I'm going to have white-hot babyface Claudio sell for you a bit on PPV," one answer you could also give is "hell yeah, that's going to be the most noteworthy match of my career so far"

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This sucks. I only knew Gresham since Tony bought ROH but I became a fan quick. Wish they could have worked it out.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Dacap posted:

Tony : “I know you’re a little angry, but there’s no reason to be so short with me! Now I know these plans went way over your head, but I assure you you’re well respected here and I hope with some time you can look up to me. You seem like a down to earth guy, so hopefully we can talk this through without any more of these micro-aggressions…”

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Lamuella posted:

Hangman Page defended the world title in the opening match several times.

AEW Dynamite, March 9 2022 (Dante vs Hangman)
AEW Dynamite, January 5 2022 (Danielson vs Hangman)
AEW Dynamite, December 15 (Danielson vs Hangman)
I get what you're trying to say but read the last two words of my sentence