Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You can't see it on the map but it's got a concertina wire fence, it's a ArcelorMittal yard.

easy fix: rug or floor mat from a car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019

an actual frog posted:

sincere question to our american friends, not trying to do A Bit here, but how common are actually-stops-traffic-with-a-real-rear end-red-light crossings on roads like these, outside of 'intersections'?

Where I live in Western Mass we have a rail trail system with about 25 miles of paths. There are two red light pedestrian crossings in the entire thing. In some parts they have signs telling you to dismount to pass because of a loophole in state law that lets you hit cyclists in crosswalks liability-free.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

After looking at this picture, I started to wonder if there were a way I strap on drones to carry my rear end up over the walls.
Right now looking at 6'000 dollars to carry 500 pounds.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

easy fix: rug or floor mat from a car

I'm not gonna risk arrest and personal injury to go eat some lovely fast food lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dog Case posted:

Congrats those were made by actual slaves. H&M had a whole "we don't use slaves any more" thing specifically because they got called out for using slaves

My "not involved in human bondage" tshirt has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my shirt

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm not gonna risk arrest and personal injury to go eat some lovely fast food lmao

I thought they made steel! a lot of people can use that stuff.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

After looking at this picture, I started to wonder if there were a way I strap on drones to carry my rear end up over the walls.
Right now looking at 6'000 dollars to carry 500 pounds.

sam, this is car-brainman. there’s no way you can carry all those groceries yourself, you need to invest in a personal vehicle of some sort

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Mr. Sharps posted:

sam, this is car-brainman. there’s no way you can carry all those groceries yourself, you need to invest in a personal vehicle of some sort

oh yeah carrying groceries....
I was thinking of it in the context of just walking around randomly, cuz I do that. And just using it to hop over walls

But yeah when I do my grocery shopping I just have a backpack, and either walk or bike. (gonna need to account for that weight.)
Ya know my bike is not that heavy....

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

apparently, metal license plates in Washington are produced by Department of Corrections inmates. COVID measures were slowing down plate production around august 2021. i wonder what conditions are like now in this rather horrifying intersection of cars and imprisonment.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/washington-state-grappling-with-license-plate-shortage-as-pandemic-slows-production/ posted:

Washington is grappling with a statewide license-plate shortage fueled by a decrease in production by the Department of Corrections brought on by the pandemic.

The shortage has led some licensing agencies to issue temporary paper permits for passenger vehicles. Licensing for trucks, trailers, and motorcycles have not been impacted.

Paper permits are valid for 60 days and can be displayed the same way as temporary plates for recently purchased vehicles.

The DOC has experienced issues since last summer, when compliance with social-distancing requirements slowed production, according to spokesperson Rachel Ericson. To address the issue, the agency has increased staffing and started outsourcing some production on July 31.

“These measures are expected to improve plate-shortage issues sometime this fall,” Ericson said Monday.

Washington State Department of Licensing spokesperson Rob Wieman said he expects the license-plate supply chain to be fixed by late September. He said the only counties to report low inventories are Thurston and Clallam counties.

The Thurston County Auditor’s Office issued a news release Wednesday notifying residents about the issuance of paper permits. The office, which oversees licensing subagents that handle licensing services across the county, has been instructed by the state to prioritize the “small remaining inventory” for cars sold at dealerships.

The shortage comes at a time when car sales have increased, Thurston County Auditor Mary Hall said Monday.

Washington State auditors have known about the production challenges for a while, and Thurston County, she said, has done a good job “juggling” inventory.

Most licensing offices had less that 200 plates before the county received a shipment of 1,000 plates on Friday — around three weeks worth, according to Hall.

“We weren’t really expecting a shipment, so it was a pleasant surprise,” she said.

Temporary paper permits may also be issued in Clark County, according to a release Monday by Clark County Auditor Greg Kimsey.

“While we haven’t heard for certain when metal plates will be in full supply, we hope our customers are patient while we work through this,” Kimsey said in a statement.

License plates first began to be manufactured by individuals incarcerated at the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla in 1923. It’s now one of 43 prison factories around the country that produce plates for 40 states and the federal government.

A project by The Seattle Times examined how the Washington Department of Corrections has tried to profit from incarcerated individuals working in prison factories.

Thirty individuals at the Walla Wall penitentiary and nine at the Monroe Correctional Complex work in license-plate factories run by Washington State Correctional Industries. More than a half-million license plates, including general registration and vanity plates, are produced annually for the state’s Department of Licensing.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The USA remaining a failed slave state for its entire history will never not be funny

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I wonder if the prisoners judge the vanity prison plates

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Thank you. I don't understand why it was so difficult to get one of you to post this.

kuz its extremely obvious and doesn't need clarification

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

mawarannahr posted:

I wonder if the prisoners judge the vanity prison plates

Only registered members can see post attachments!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

mawarannahr posted:

I think Americans just like running over their clothes with cars or something. I’ve never had clothing really fall apart.

It's washing them twice a week and drying them on high heat that does it

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

War and Pieces posted:

It's washing them twice a week and drying them on high heat that does it

Hey let's have a fun argument that doesn't really matter.

How many times can you wear a pair of pants before you need to wash them?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

withak posted:

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Buddy if we can't argue about things that don't matter on internet forums then why are we even here?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hank reacts with horror when he notices Peggy hanging his underwear on a clothesline for all the world to see. Peggy explains she was forced to do so because the dryer had broken down and Hank agreed the time had come to replace the old unit. He and his family travel to the Mega Lo Mart, where Hank ended up lecturing a salesman on the benefits of purchasing a propane-fueled dryer. Peggy and Hank eventually settle on a Spinmore brand dryer but when it comes time to make the purchase, Peggy convinces her husband it is in their best interest to pay for the dryer by applying for the store's credit card. But the salesman informs the Hills that their application has been denied due to bad credit, which surprises Hank who declares is it incorrect and an error.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Hank reacts with horror when he notices Peggy hanging his underwear on a clothesline for all the world to see. Peggy explains she was forced to do so because the dryer had broken down and Hank agreed the time had come to replace the old unit. He and his family travel to the Mega Lo Mart, where Hank ended up lecturing a salesman on the benefits of purchasing a propane-fueled dryer. Peggy and Hank eventually settle on a Spinmore brand dryer but when it comes time to make the purchase, Peggy convinces her husband it is in their best interest to pay for the dryer by applying for the store's credit card. But the salesman informs the Hills that their application has been denied due to bad credit, which surprises Hank who declares is it incorrect and an error.

Bwaah

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
meanwhile Bobby is picking up a new hobby of bicycle repair but disappoints Hank by building a goofy novelty bike

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bobby wants to learn to weld but only so he can build one of those tallbikes made of two bike frames with one stacked on top of the other.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

bobby would ride a recumbent because his legs are too stumpy to get optimal extension on a regular one

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Can we add Biker wannabes to the hate list?

This was spammed all over the place today.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Scuffy_1989 posted:

“loud pipes save lives” :mad:

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lol jesus christ

https://twitter.com/richmintz/status/1549871149466746880

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

crush the car and driver into a tiny metal/gore cube and send their family the bill

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cloks posted:

Got some bad news for you, bud

According to this:

lmao, covid kills 10x as many people per a year.

in america, the only regrettable thing about car crashes is that a car gets damaged. the injuries and deaths aren't important.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

apparently, metal license plates in Washington are produced by Department of Corrections inmates. COVID measures were slowing down plate production around august 2021. i wonder what conditions are like now in this rather horrifying intersection of cars and imprisonment.

same thing in NH, or so I’ve heard. live free or die.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cool av posted:

turns out it was a threat

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Scuffy_1989 posted:

When I ride my bike I assume every car is an assassin hired to kill me.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Suplex Liberace posted:

When I ride my bike I assume every car is an assassin hired to kill me.

If I were an assassin hired to kill someone I would just run them over with a car at a crosswalk. Seems like the best way to get away with it

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

The Atlantic has a piece on "the real cause of the crime wave" that opens as follows:

quote:

Casiquito had had similar run-ins with law enforcement before, mostly related to his troubles with alcohol and drugs. Those problems, his family believes, may have started with the pills he was prescribed in his teens after he was hit by a car while riding a four-wheeler and thrown 30 feet, putting him into a coma for a few days. At 30 he suffered another accident—a car hit him while he was out walking, breaking both his legs and requiring more pain medication.

Of course their conclusion is it's caused by courthouses not operating at full capacity.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/07/covid-court-closings-violent-crime-wave/670559/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If I were an assassin hired to kill someone I would just run them over with a car at a crosswalk. Seems like the best way to get away with it

Turn yourself in sounding suitably distraught and you will be home in time for dinner.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

withak posted:

Turn yourself in sounding suitably distraught and you will be home in time for dinner.

lol what's this dogshit advice

flip the dying the bird and keep going. it's not like it's a crime, they're not a car therefore they don't matter. you're in a car, you're in the right.

stopping and admitting fault just ensures they have a good chance to get you in civil court later. if you leave they can't prove it was you who hit them!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Occidental doesn't put the same high price on life as does an Easterner. Life is plentiful. Life is cheap in the Occident.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

cool av posted:

The Atlantic has a piece on "the real cause of the crime wave" that opens as follows:

Of course their conclusion is it's caused by courthouses not operating at full capacity.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/07/covid-court-closings-violent-crime-wave/670559/
Again, even with gun violence and bad air quality and legacy chemicals in the buildings and murdering cops and everything else, in America it's more dangerous to live in a rural area than an urban one, and the only reason is the automobile

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People think it's safer out in the country and this is a really great example of how "common sense" is always horseshit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Again, even with gun violence and bad air quality and legacy chemicals in the buildings and murdering cops and everything else, in America it's more dangerous to live in a rural area than an urban one, and the only reason is the automobile

There's a shitton of violence in the sticks lol. I love living in a town of 5k with 5 murders a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Harik posted:

lol what's this dogshit advice

flip the dying the bird and keep going. it's not like it's a crime, they're not a car therefore they don't matter. you're in a car, you're in the right.

stopping and admitting fault just ensures they have a good chance to get you in civil court later. if you leave they can't prove it was you who hit them!

I was going to suggest throwing it in reverse but if you're confident you hit them hard enough the first time a middle finger works too. Not like the cops will care how egregious you were as long as you swear they came out of nowhere