Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

How on earth did the US manage to get hundreds of thousands of people to migrate to a frozen wasteland?

Exactly the same reason that people would move to Arizona, a desert wasteland. Cheap empty land.

Although definitely the extraction industry sure helps. Alaska is also one of the only states with a big budget surplus from money from oil companies. There's also something going on with logistics, an airport trying to become a hub for international travel, and something about shipping through the thinning arctic ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phlegmish posted:

Alaska is another interesting case, at just 41%. As far as I know its proximity to the ocean doesn't make its climate that much milder, and at the same latitude in Canada there's almost no one (except for the small indigenous population).

It’s still much milder on the coast than in the interior, but there’s only so much that ocean moderation can do from a starting point of “cold as balls”.

Juneau has a yearly mean temperature of 6.4 °C. Whitehorse, a couple hundred kilometres inland (though also, it must be said, more northerly), averages −0.1 °C, and it’s the warmest place in the whole of the Yukon Territory.

Phlegmish posted:

How on earth did the US manage to get hundreds of thousands of people to migrate to a frozen wasteland? I'm assuming it has to do with resource extraction.

e: yeah, oil and gas, looks like.

O & G is a big part of it, but the federal government also massively subsidized settlement during the Cold War because of Alaska’s strategic location.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 24, 2022

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Baronjutter posted:

I make a lot of stupid RPG maps and demand realistic geology. There's a few out there but none of them really give you a finished map, more something to kinda trace the coastlines and mountain ranges for a more finished map.
https://davidson16807.github.io/tectonics.js/

This has been bizarrely mesmerizing, I've been watching it simulate like 2 billion years over the course of a couple of hours. I was disappointed at how a few different tries all ended up collecting into a giant circular supercontinent, but after discovering the button that breaks them up I've ended up watching this world go through some really interesting formations as continents slam into each other and island chains form and stuff. It seems to really get going after a couple of big continental breakups and reformations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's also something going on with logistics, an airport trying to become a hub for international travel

Anchorage's incredible position for logistics is clear if you look at it on a globe, it's right in the middle for anything going between Asia and the Americas. One of the biggest cargo hubs in the world, since planes can carry more cargo by refueling there instead of going direct. And with Russian airspace closed again, flights from Europe to Asia have their most direct route over Alaska and can use it as a refueling stop.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Badger of Basra posted:

This is a thing that people say about literally every place that has visible homeless people, how did you “find out”
Ended up talking to homeless people that were pandhandling outside a place we ate in Hilo and also talking to a local shortly after that. Limited sample size so I could easily be wrong and should have said as much.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/dec/20/bussed-out-america-moves-homeless-people-country-study

has some more data on this

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Minor League baseball is endlessly fascinating

RIP Pioneer League

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Grand Fromage posted:

Anchorage's incredible position for logistics is clear if you look at it on a globe, it's right in the middle for anything going between Asia and the Americas. One of the biggest cargo hubs in the world, since planes can carry more cargo by refueling there instead of going direct. And with Russian airspace closed again, flights from Europe to Asia have their most direct route over Alaska and can use it as a refueling stop.

It’s the third biggest cargo airport in the world and the 2nd biggest in the US. The top 3 in the us are Memphis anchorage and Louisville so cargo hubs don’t exactly lead to wealth and renown

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lord Wexia posted:

RIP Pioneer League

The Pioneer League is one of several that's considered not exactly minor league, but not not exactly minor league. Under and beside in some stupid way

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I make a lot of stupid RPG maps and demand realistic geology. There's a few out there but none of them really give you a finished map, more something to kinda trace the coastlines and mountain ranges for a more finished map.
https://davidson16807.github.io/tectonics.js/

Oh man this thing has evolved a lot since the last time I saw it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Weembles posted:

San Diego does a regular study of its homeless population and it always shows that the overwhelming majority became homeless while living in San Diego.

This data shows that it could possibly be a non-zero number of people people who were shipped there.

Just like there was a non-zero number of people having Cadillacs while receiving food stamps or whatever, you don't need real data for it, just that it happened once and the idea will be around forever.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I wouldn't put it past some NIMBY rear end in a top hat to personally fund a ticket for homeless people to go away, and lying about being from the government too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mobby_6kl posted:

I've no idea how one would model climate in Excel
I mean, it's not like I designed it to model real world climate for any serious purpose. Like, the reason all these climate models try to be 100% accurate is because it matters in the real world, which requires insane amounts of detail. If you just want "plausible given some roughly Earthlike atmospheric composition" you get a lot of freedom to simplify things down.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

BonHair posted:

I wouldn't put it past some NIMBY rear end in a top hat to personally fund a ticket for homeless people to go away, and lying about being from the government too.

I may be an rear end in a top hat, but I'm not going to pay the homeless to go be homeless somewhere else.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Pioneer League is one of several that's considered not exactly minor league, but not not exactly minor league. Under and beside in some stupid way

I’m fairly certain it was Minor League until a few years ago. My local Great Falls Voyagers were a White Sox affiliate. Now it’s an independent league not affiliated with MLB. Thus RIP.

It was rookie league short season, but pretty sure it still counted as minor league.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Koramei posted:

Does anyone know of a geologically/meteorologically accurate (or mostly accurate) continent generator or something similar? Like, you draw mountains and it generates proper rain shadows and climate and whatever. Or it just randomizes plausible continents.

It’s the kind of thing I feel like must exist somewhere at this point

This one is quite good and polished
https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/

Here's an example island I made with the Biomes layer on.

I then increased the elevation (made mountains) down the middle of the island.

This changed the Biomes.

There's a ton of features and its easy to use.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Idk why but that immediately reminds me of Diego Garcia

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That tectonics sim program is mesmerizing. Also helps conceptualize how unfathomably long "geological timescale" really is

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BonHair posted:

I worked in a library relatively affluent entirely suburban town. I know some libraries are equipped to be welcoming and hospitable to homeless people, but this was not such a library. We very rarely saw obviously homeless people in that library. One time we did he caused a bit of an issue by sleeping in one of the comfy chairs by the newspapers. Apparently sleeping was against the library's policies for some reason. Interesting that they had that in writing all prepared. In any case he kept coming back so eventually social workers were called.

The social worker basically said, "Hey buddy, what are you doing in [this town]? Don't you know that they have shelters and resources in [town 20 minutes away by car]? I can help you get there if you want."

The thing is they actually didn't have resources set up in the affluent town I was working in, and they did rely on that nearby town for these kinds of things. The social worker was actually just trying to get the homeless guy to a place where there would be resources to help him. That nearby town also had much lower property values, so they could afford to set up shelters and needle exchanges and such. It would be way to expensive to set stuff like that up in the affluent town, and besides, there weren't many homeless people there for some reason.

Well, I guess that's just how things naturally happen. No need to give it any further thought.

Oh wow, this is really cool! I've been interested in something like this for ages! (Quoting this mainly so I can find it later.)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Eiba posted:

The social worker basically said, "Hey buddy, what are you doing in [this town]? Don't you know that they have shelters and resources in [town 20 minutes away by car]? I can help you get there if you want."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Koramei posted:

Does anyone know of a geologically/meteorologically accurate (or mostly accurate) continent generator or something similar? Like, you draw mountains and it generates proper rain shadows and climate and whatever. Or it just randomizes plausible continents.

It’s the kind of thing I feel like must exist somewhere at this point

There’s stuff like https://www.world-creator.com/ or https://www.world-machine.com/ that games and FX companies use.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

In a world where the tribes of northern Arizona and the National Park Service (Grand Canyon) wanted and got two interstates.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 25, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

north dakota and vermont get none while wyoming gets three

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

CGP Grey did a video on it.

I-50 and I-60 aren't real, usually the zeros go east-west and the fives go south-north, except for when they go diagonally, which is all the time.

And there's rules about how 3-digit interstate minors are numbered as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“The True Size of Africa”

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Why does 60 have that weird kink in utah/colorado

I assume its at least close to how it looks, lol maybe its just really bad drawn

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mandatory lesbian posted:

Why does 60 have that weird kink in utah/colorado

I assume its at least close to how it looks, lol maybe its just really bad drawn

There is no Interstate 60.

There is a U.S. Route 60, but it doesn’t enter Utah at all.

There’s also a U.S. 50, but it is north of U.S. 60, contrary to how Interstates are numbered.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Oh so that map was completely fake :-( ah i thought it was a neat thing too...ah well

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mandatory lesbian posted:

Oh so that map was completely fake :-( ah i thought it was a neat thing too...ah well

The number scheme does work like that, it’ just not nearly so clean and complete.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No, specifically the map was taken from CGP Grey's video where he drew in two fake interstates to make up for the fact that the US never built an I-60 or I-50 because they didn't want to confuse them with the pre-interstate highways US-50 and US-60. That's why the fake roads are squeezed so tightly in. The real roads are more evenly spaced.

State Highway signs.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Platystemon posted:

The number scheme does work like that, it’ just not nearly so clean and complete.

Still waiting for them to fix 95 around Philly

I think of 95 as a river, like the Mississippi but more important. This river flows from the Canadian border in Maine down to Miami. Except around Philadelphia.

If you're traveling north, down in Delaware things get hosed up and you have to get on 295 to continue following the flow of the river. 95 takes you through Wilmington, through Philadelphia, then there's this awful gap.

Obviously 295 should just be 95 and the part that goes through Wilmington and Philadelphia should just be a spur line but the story of why it's not the right way could fill a whole bookcase with leather bound volumes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SlothfulCobra posted:

State Highway signs.

All the state shapes, circles, and rectangles are terrible. Minnesota and North Carolina went out of their way to lose by this criterion. I’m going to put New York, Vermont, and Puerto Rico here as well. Maybe this is unfair when I’m not excluding California or Hawai’i. Don’t care.

North Dakota and Nebraska are too busy. Washington’s is uniquely terrible.

New Hampshire would be a contender if the rock formation for upon which theirs is based still exists, but it does not.

By process of elimination, I declare the winner’s circle to be California, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Alaska, Hawai‘i, and Guam.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

In the totally fine Amazon show Sneaky Pete there's a scene where Giovanni Ribisi's character, who is supposedly from the Northeast, refers to "the 95". This broke my heart and a whole bunch of other people's hearts as well because next season he was just calling it 95.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does anyone not *shudders* californian call them "the" X?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I surely hope not

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Call the what?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

E: I made a mistake

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SlothfulCobra posted:

Call the what?

“The 10”, “the 5”, etc, for what I learned to say as “I-10”, [eye-ten], “I-5”, etc. I believe it’s a California only tic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's specific to southern California. The 101 in LA is just 101 in SF.