Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Looking at my projects, I'm feeling pretty good about my track record. I haven't had to abandon any projects since coming back, although some LPs take a lot longer to finish than I'd hoped. I was even able to redo an LP I had abandoned and will hopefully be able to do that for the others eventually.

I think my biggest issue is my ambitions are far bigger than my capabilities. I wish I could collaborate with more people and get editors and writers like all the other cool gaming YouTubers have.

And money. Money would probably help a lot too, so I could hire those people in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The master list is incredibly dilapidated, yes.

I was going by the archive.
Even if I should've just checked by YT channel videos instead. :v:

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
One done, one in progress (for way longer than it's needed to be), none abandoned. I don't think I'll be doing another narrative one again...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I started one back in like 2018 that I had to quit due to a prolonged spell of sleep problems.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Apparently I've started 19 / completed 19 LPs.

In like five years. gently caress me.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Natural 20 posted:

Apparently I've started 19 / completed 19 LPs.

In like five years. gently caress me.

You should start and complete another one and call that a Natural 20

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I'm popping in just to ask if someone can point me in the direction of an LP: it was about a PC, maybe DOS game, since it had a very basic interface with the main window showing a world map. The premise is that you're an emerging AI, and during the game you gotta do research to improve yourself, set-up server farms to expand your capabilities, discover new tecnologies, all while trying to not be noticed by human governments. Endgame was going into space and using all your tech to go into a new level of reality.

This being 2022, all my google searches just return articles about robots stocking warehouses. :(

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kal-L posted:

I'm popping in just to ask if someone can point me in the direction of an LP: it was about a PC, maybe DOS game, since it had a very basic interface with the main window showing a world map. The premise is that you're an emerging AI, and during the game you gotta do research to improve yourself, set-up server farms to expand your capabilities, discover new tecnologies, all while trying to not be noticed by human governments. Endgame was going into space and using all your tech to go into a new level of reality.

This being 2022, all my google searches just return articles about robots stocking warehouses. :(

I had that game! It's called "Endgame Singularity".

No idea about LPs, though.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Kal-L posted:

Uplink: Trust is a Weakness

https://lparchive.org/Uplink/

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Quackles posted:

I had that game! It's called "Endgame Singularity".

No idea about LPs, though.

Yeah, that's the one. The LP is really old, and it doesn't seem to be in the LParchive. Thanks!

Also thanks TeeQueue, I'll check that one later, since it seems similar.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kal-L posted:

Yeah, that's the one. The LP is really old, and it doesn't seem to be in the LParchive. Thanks!

Also thanks TeeQueue, I'll check that one later, since it seems similar.

For what it's worth, the thread is here, but it's from 2009 so I'm assuming you need archives, and there's some dead pics in there too.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.
Planning a LP, feedback appreciated
Intro Post
First Post

Edit: now with less oversized screenshots

Yuiiut fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 19, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Even if you don't plan on sending it to the archive (the archive maxes out at 900 pixels wide), those images are much too big to view comfortably. I would figure out what you need to be showing in each image and crop them down to the important information.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Arist posted:

Even if you don't plan on sending it to the archive (the archive maxes out at 900 pixels wide), those images are much too big to view comfortably. I would figure out what you need to be showing in each image and crop them down to the important information.

Yeah, thought they'd come through smaller when embedded - will have to see if I can shrink them on imgur

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Recommend uploading to LPix, as Imgur might remove your images down the line.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Quackles posted:

Recommend uploading to LPix, as Imgur might remove your images down the line.

OP you are also going to inevitably going to run into the image limit on imgur, you'll face no such problem if you sign up for lpix :eng101:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

OP you are also going to inevitably going to run into the image limit on imgur, you'll face no such problem if you sign up for lpix :eng101:

For comparison, my Fate/Extra LP is currently around...

...7500 images.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Imgur hasn't had an image limit for seven years and I'm more worried about lpix, run by a single dedicated person, going away than Imgur.

The main advantage lpix brings is that it's easier to organize.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Imgur sold out to a company that specializes in data mining, and brought back paid subscriptions, so I wouldn't trust them with something important like LP pic hosting.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Far as I know Imgur also deletes images after a certain age if they don't get regular views, lpix does not.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
IIRC imgur explicitly does not promise to keep images up indefinitely; however, I have never seen an imgur image actually get deleted.

That said, I would use lpix. If nothing else, I'm confident that if baldurk decided they couldn't keep lpix running, they'd provide a clean way for folks to retrieve their data and archive it somehow.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The only time I ever use Imgur is for images that are too large for LPix file size-wise. With LPix, you're limited to 2mb, not particularly useful if you want to have a high quality gif or two, or need to show off an extremely large scale image. Otherwise, LPix should be your go-to host source.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

nine-gear crow posted:

The only time I ever use Imgur is for images that are too large for LPix file size-wise. With LPix, you're limited to 2mb, not particularly useful if you want to have a high quality gif or two, or need to show off an extremely large scale image. Otherwise, LPix should be your go-to host source.

that does make me curious, would GIFs like this make the transfer over to the archives?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
They do.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

imgur does not delete images associated with an account, and uploading anonymously makes it a tremendous pain to keep track of your images anyway, so just make an account if you're gonna use it

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

nine-gear crow posted:

Imgur will just lossily re-encode large images to JPEG (or GIFV, if animated). Used to be they did so for anything >2MB I think, but apparently the current limit is 5 MB with an Imgur account and 1 MB without one.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
FWIW the file size limit is mostly because not everyone can be trusted to make sane choices for image format, 2MB splits the difference between allowing large-ish files when necessary and not enabling a person doing an SSLP of metal gear solid where every image is 3MB PNG file for no goddamn reason. There are still people who have an average filesize of >1MB with many 100s or 1000s of images. I could maybe do some kind of separate limit for animated GIFs, but I'm not sure if that's worth the effort really.

If it makes anyone feel any better, lpix+lparchive's resource requirements are not really that outrageous by modern standards as SALP isn't the biggest community these days comparatively. About 12TB of bandwidth monthly and 700GB storage, almost entirely static files. Not exactly in the $10 category of hosting but wouldn't be super expensive for someone to host if I was no longer able to (though I don't expect to be going anywhere).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

baldurk posted:

FWIW the file size limit is mostly because not everyone can be trusted to make sane choices for image format, 2MB splits the difference between allowing large-ish files when necessary and not enabling a person doing an SSLP of metal gear solid where every image is 3MB PNG file for no goddamn reason. There are still people who have an average filesize of >1MB with many 100s or 1000s of images. I could maybe do some kind of separate limit for animated GIFs, but I'm not sure if that's worth the effort really.

If it makes anyone feel any better, lpix+lparchive's resource requirements are not really that outrageous by modern standards as SALP isn't the biggest community these days comparatively. About 12TB of bandwidth monthly and 700GB storage, almost entirely static files. Not exactly in the $10 category of hosting but wouldn't be super expensive for someone to host if I was no longer able to (though I don't expect to be going anywhere).

That's very informative and good to know.

For example, the two images I was talking about that I had to go to Imgur for were these ones from my Ace Combat 7 LP:

This one, which was 3MB and is gigantic specifically because the scale of the game's aircraft tree made it impossible to showcase otherwise in a single image.

https://i.imgur.com/GU3LwwD.mp4
And this one, which Imgur at the very least compressed down to 4MB.

Everything else uploaded to LPix for the LP was in the 200-500KB range.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
For extremely large scale images specifically, I've used Google Drive a couple of times. They provide a zoomable, streaming view for your 50k-by-50ks. Linking that with a thumbnail like

can be more useful than timg:ing an extremely large image directly into your post, depending on the image. There are plenty of non-Drive services that provide similar functionality without Drive's space limitations, but I'm not sure of their longevity.

I guess ideally there would be forum support for zooming and panning in large images and not just timg, but that sounds a lot like work.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

LPix does have webp support, which should take care of a lot of file size issues.

My screenshots are 4-500kb at 800x450 PNGs and are around 60-75kb as webp. And most devices will have no troubles displaying those.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

LPix does have webp support, which should take care of a lot of file size issues.

My screenshots are 4-500kb at 800x450 PNGs and are around 60-75kb as webp. And most devices will have no troubles displaying those.

Has the Rightload plugin for LPix been updated to support webps? Because, and admittedly I am using an ancient version of it from back when I first started LPing, but the last few times I've tried to upload a webp, it spat it back out and I had to convert them to jpgs in IrfranView.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ShareX requires a short dive into the settings to add webp to the list of image formats, but otherwise that works fine. I don’t know about Rightload, though

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

https://i.imgur.com/GU3LwwD.mp4
And this one, which Imgur at the very least compressed down to 4MB.

tbf this is a video, if you request it as an actual GIF from imgur it's 64MB

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Polsy posted:

tbf this is a video, if you request it as an actual GIF from imgur it's 64MB

Yeah, I knew something was up there because I recall the video I made it from was around that size.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

nine-gear crow posted:

Has the Rightload plugin for LPix been updated to support webps? Because, and admittedly I am using an ancient version of it from back when I first started LPing, but the last few times I've tried to upload a webp, it spat it back out and I had to convert them to jpgs in IrfranView.

Whichever version of Rightload I have works just fine for webps.

Also, webps work perfectly for gifs.

Compare:

The original gif, which is around 5.5 MB, to

The webp, which is 1.8 MB.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I mean you're literally comparing a lossless image format from 1987 that is at best designed for tiny animations to a modern video codec. Of course the latter is gonna be smaller for anything even slightly complex.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I will note webps that use videos or gifs or whatever moving picture equivalents break a bit on some mobile devices (entirely white frames, some batches of frames get corrupted and have splotches of white), though that's the only main issue with them I can think of. Screenshots on the other hand are completely fine there.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Araxxor posted:

I will note webps that use videos or gifs or whatever moving picture equivalents break a bit on some mobile devices (entirely white frames, some batches of frames get corrupted and have splotches of white), though that's the only main issue with them I can think of.
There was a white frame or two in the webp for me in the Awful app. The most disconcerting thing is that the two soon fell out of sync, which wouldn't be a problem in actual use.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Fire Emblem LP season will never die!

Roy's Got A Fancy New Pair Of Shoes! Let's Play Project Ember

What Is This?

Project Ember is a graphical and mechanical overhaul romhack of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (the one with Roy in it) by the user Brunhilda on FE Universe. (Be warned that there are some mild spoilers in that link if you want to go into the LP completely blind.) While it could technically be considered a difficulty hack, in the sense that all of the changes are designed with the original game's hard mode in mind, in practice it's, if not necessarily easier, certainly a less frustrating experience than vanilla FE6 on hard. Hit rates have been increased across the board, and there are no more unusably bad units. Enemies are more dangerous in a vacuum, but you also have a lot more tools to deal with them.

There's also a separate patch for an extra hard maniac difficulty, as well as several wild and wacky alternate modes. With any luck I might even get to show some of them off! Ideally the plan is to finish three playthroughs in total by the end of the LP, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Spoilers?

This LP is generally going to assume that the reader is already familiar with base FE6. While for various reasons I intend to cover the story more or less in full, everything about the original game, plot or gameplay, is fair game to discuss. Sophia sucks, Perceval is OP, Roy will eventually acquire the titular Binding Blade and, in the best ending, use it to restore the Demon Dragon's soul.

As for the hack itself, talking about its overall design ethos is fine, but I ask that you refrain from discussing any specific changes the hack makes until they come up in the LP. For example: "I like how a lot of the underappreciated characters have new Prfs to give them a fun niche" is OK, "Character X's Prf is so cool! it does Y" is not.

Audience Participation?

That's the plan! It's maybe a bit of a Fire Emblem LP cliche at this point, but now that the entire cast is viable, it would be a shame if I didn't let you, the viewers, decide which of our new and improved friends we bring with us into battle. That's actually one of the reasons I still want to cover the story; having plot updates gives me a decent excuse to hold deployment votes without completely wrecking the pacing of the LP.

Also, there might be a super secret vote happening even before we get to chapters that have a prep screen. :ssh:

Is Roy our boy?

You bet your rear end he is.

Chapter 1: These Boots Were Made For Seizing

So my main concern is that I wasn't super diligent about grabbing "between action" shots, and I'm not sure if the overall flow of the map reads clearly enough. I had intended to record video as well so I could fill in any gaps after the fact, but uh, most of it came out as a garbled mess, oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

e: .