Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Z the IVth posted:

You could get stux-netted like an Iranian nuclear plant.

Imagine someone getting control of the thermostat and maxing it out in 40-degree heat.

nadine norries and liz truss will protect me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being locked in my car and crispy fried by the batteries is a feature, actually.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Being locked in my car and crispy fried by the batteries is a feature, actually.

what temp was your car when you got in it on the hottest day this year?

mine? very cool as it had preconditioned itself down to a lovely pleasant temp. although maybe the iranians did it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don’t even need to hypothesise hackers or malware to not want smart devices — computers are bad, they take work to use and maintain, and the benefits of convenience and functionality have to be weighed against the invisible costs that people don’t discuss as much.

Devices in general should be as simple as possible to use. Putting computers in them makes them massively more complicated for very questionable gain.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

thats just your lack of imagination at work

you literally just used a computer to post this dumbass point of view?

i typed this with my monitor off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

You could get stux-netted like an Iranian nuclear plant.

Imagine someone getting control of the thermostat and maxing it out in 40-degree heat.

It's not about them turning the brightness on your TV so high that it explodes, it is about them gaining access to your TV and then pivoting into the rest of your network and then getting all your data and logins so that they can get money.

Though most of the time the human is the weakest part of the chain in that network.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 24, 2022

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Don’t get Nest (American, Alphabet)

Get netatmo (French, Legrand)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Also those camera doorbells are always on and the police can go above your head and request the footage straight from the company.

Don't help the surveillance state.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TACD posted:

I don’t even need to hypothesise hackers or malware to not want smart devices — computers are bad, they take work to use and maintain, and the benefits of convenience and functionality have to be weighed against the invisible costs that people don’t discuss as much.

Devices in general should be as simple as possible to use. Putting computers in them makes them massively more complicated for very questionable gain.

Pretty much every device is running some sort of microcontroller these days, it's a bit late for that.

It's less about putting computers into things and more about those computers having an open interface that doesn't at the very least require soldering to use. Internet of course being the worst for it.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

What's that meme with the early adopter who has everything in their house connected to the internet and then the computer expert saying "I have a baseball bat next to my printer in case it makes a weird noise."

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Umbra Dubium posted:

What's that meme with the early adopter who has everything in their house connected to the internet and then the computer expert saying "I have a baseball bat next to my printer in case it makes a weird noise."

https://twitter.com/ppathole/status/1116670170980859905?lang=en

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's not about them turning the brightness on your TV so high that it explodes, it is about them gaining access to your TV and then pivoting into the rest of your network and then getting all your data and logins so that they can get money.

Though most of the time the human is the weakest part of the chain in that network.

Unless you manage to enforce basic opsec on your entire household it's pretty much a foregone result that your home network is going to have gaps in it.

It's hard enough to get family to shred documents on a regular basis and I think I've had the Alexa=bad conversation with my other half many, many times.

Not having any other people in the household is also a solution I guess.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 25, 2022

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Tbh the main reason I don’t get many smart devices isn’t because of security or an aversion to home automation… it’s the long history of smart devices just turning into paperweights when the company goes bust or drops the product and the servers switch off (or if there’s no remote server, then it stops getting updates and suddenly the app doesn’t work on iOS 20 and now you can’t use it).

Nest is owned by Google. Google is not a company that keeps products alive on a reliable basis.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

you're all mental

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're all mental

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfnDTvbtDUI

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're all mental

You drive a car that comes with day-zero paid DLC. I'll stick to mental tyvm.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I am surprised there isn't an open source version of a Star Trek like computer voice interface with no loving ties to any evil company or data harvesting.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

I am surprised there isn't an open source version of a Star Trek like computer voice interface with no loving ties to any evil company or data harvesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkE4Enc9IgY

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i remember being a young teen on the internet in the wild days of firefox taking a hit at internet explorer 6, surely this was the future and software would avoid becoming a great capitalistic hellscape. the year of linux on the desktop was right around the corner and information would be eternally free

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Total Meatlove posted:

Don’t get Nest (American, Alphabet)

Get netatmo (French, Legrand)

Or make ur own. Then nobody's spy agency has access not even DGSE.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Angepain posted:

i remember being a young teen on the internet in the wild days of firefox taking a hit at internet explorer 6, surely this was the future and software would avoid becoming a great capitalistic hellscape. the year of linux on the desktop was right around the corner and information would be eternally free

Turns out Linux was on the phone

Edit: BTW citation very much needed on London of all places being a 'blue city'.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 25, 2022

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Turns out Linux was on the phone

Edit: BTW citation very much needed on London of all places being a 'blue city'.

Sorry I was drunk, I meant that London is controlled by tories regardless of who the mayor is because they hold the purse strings

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It's also impossible not to sound like a oval office when you're commanding Alexa/Siri/Google Assistant to do stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There isn't strictly anything stopping you from saying please and thankyou to the robot except your own self consciousness.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

There isn't strictly anything stopping you from saying please and thankyou to the robot except your own self consciousness.

This is like a very mild roku's basilisk

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Also the default voice for all digital servants is female, which is #problematic!!!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Perfect Element posted:

Also the default voice for all digital servants is female, which is #problematic!!!

Things are problematic when something you enjoy has bad sides that need to be acknowledged.

These robots have no good sides and nobody decent enjoys them, so they can't be problematic.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're all mental

lol Nest has actually already been discontinued. They say there’s minimum 5 years of support for each device from date of release but at some stage I assume the servers are going to disappear and turn your thermostat into a brick because Google decided the Nest line is dead.

Not 100% sure that servers will disappear in a few years, they might keep the servers on looonnng after the products themselves are no longer updated, but tbh seems like a bad idea to buy it just on the off-chance it’ll still work in a few years.

I’m definitely open to smart home stuff, I just want to make sure it’ll actually carry on working after I buy it.

e: I picked the male Siri voice because it sort of sounds like the voice from a Pendulum track.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 25, 2022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I love my Alexa, it means I can voice control the lights in my house like in Demolition Man

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I have zero idea how people are ok with paying bezos to listen to their conversations.

Smart phones are bad enough

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

jiggerypokery posted:

I have zero idea how people are ok with paying bezos to listen to their conversations.

Smart phones are bad enough

I don’t have interesting enough conversations for anyone to give a gently caress about them

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My phone is Huawei, and if Beijing want to listen to me and my partner talk about the cat and what's for dinner that's fine by me. Have at it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nowadays it's more like
Tech Enthusiast: Nest is bad because the frame protocol in the application layer is vulnerable to overflow injection attack vectors
Tech Worker: Nest is bad because the US one doesn't do wireless and the Euro one doesn't do cold

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

There used to be a Brian Blessed GPS theme (Garmin?). Get him to do some lines for the digital assistants.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The voice on my macbook is set to angry Scottish lady, who tells me harshly when my battery is low, and when I just yank a USB stick out without ejecting first.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Nowadays it's more like
Tech Enthusiast: Nest is bad because the frame protocol in the application layer is vulnerable to overflow injection attack vectors
Tech Worker: Nest is bad because the US one doesn't do wireless and the Euro one doesn't do cold

Tbf most euro houses don't have central a/c, and Google hasn't cracked how to make your boiler do cold

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Z the IVth posted:

There used to be a Brian Blessed GPS theme (Garmin?). Get him to do some lines for the digital assistants.

There used to be a Bonnie Tyler GPS theme as well, but it kept saying "turn around" and every now and then, it fell apart.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

OwlFancier posted:

They even acknowledge it when you do

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbf most euro houses don't have central a/c, and Google hasn't cracked how to make your boiler do cold
It would have been nice to have the option of a module for some of the more common European mini split systems though (or not need half a dozen wires running to the little round unit for the US one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The commissions editor for Guardian Labs (the Guardian's advertorial section) had a spectacular Twitter meltdown that may have got her and her company into some fairly significant legal trouble.

https://twitter.com/aaronbastani/status/1551470844144238593?s=21&t=BZ_9mzY5tPW_SG9qrmZayw