Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

On the other hand, if Mookie were to retell the original Dominic Deegan today... oh Christ. Dear Lord, it would be horrific. The misshaped vulvas, the lumpy dongs, the obvious tracing. I'm sorry but frankly nothing has made me realise how much he has failed to improve than imagining him retelling his own story with the benefit of knowing the whole plot in advance.
He wouldn't, though, precisely because of knowing the whole plot in advance. He likes to sit down at his drawing table and then be surprised at where the plot goes. He's improvising and every strip is the first draft of that day's plot, which is why we have poo poo like the mystery of why people gave a flying gently caress about the pages, why ink witch's ship was so ominous tracking her and blew up snout's house, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ah yes, totally normal for a deaf person to have absolutely no spatial awareness and go running off for no reason. That's not insulting or belittling to an entire real-world community, no.

Seriously. Imagine a tasteless but not openly malicious depiction of a cognitively impaired person from the 90s or 80s in a comic. Other than talking more, how would they differ from Snout? Like Mookie seriously seems to believe 'deafness' and 'cognitive impairment' are interchangeable conditions judging by how he handles deafness. Like imagine someone as ham-handed as him writing a mentally handicapped character and ask yourself sincerely how that would differ from Snout? Or how an impulsive child protagonist would differ from Snout besides - one would hope - less loving and nudity.

Mookie has written an offensive depiction of a person with an intellectual disability and tried, poorly, to pass it off as an offensive depiction of a deaf person.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Kainda gets some of this too, at least before she's healed by the sunflower. She cries and screams all night, and won't keep her clothes on!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zereth posted:

He wouldn't, though, precisely because of knowing the whole plot in advance. He likes to sit down at his drawing table and then be surprised at where the plot goes. He's improvising and every strip is the first draft of that day's plot, which is why we have poo poo like the mystery of why people gave a flying gently caress about the pages, why ink witch's ship was so ominous tracking her and blew up snout's house, etc.

Oh exactly, but that's why I was thinking about the "bonus content" he'd add in between story beats. Stuff that would make an already bad comic worse, and not in a funny way.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Trapezium Dave posted:

That is a weird art edit to make some kind of ramp in panel 4.

This is what panel 1 suggests should happen:

Oh my god, the reason his trees and grass and mountains and poo poo are so weird loving looking is because they're just textures that have been lasso tooled. It's literally just perlin noise I think, one sec

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It's some kind of brush that he was, IIRC, initially only using for Ink Magic related poo poo but then he started using it for vegetation too

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Seriously. Imagine a tasteless but not openly malicious depiction of a cognitively impaired person from the 90s or 80s in a comic. Other than talking more, how would they differ from Snout? Like Mookie seriously seems to believe 'deafness' and 'cognitive impairment' are interchangeable conditions judging by how he handles deafness. Like imagine someone as ham-handed as him writing a mentally handicapped character and ask yourself sincerely how that would differ from Snout? Or how an impulsive child protagonist would differ from Snout besides - one would hope - less loving and nudity.

Mookie has written an offensive depiction of a person with an intellectual disability and tried, poorly, to pass it off as an offensive depiction of a deaf person.

I don't think he realises this though. He is trying to pass Snout off as kind, and because there is a fuzzy line between naivete/innocence and kindness he thinks that portrayals of the former suggest the latter. He writes Snout as someone with a primal, immature fondness for nature because he thinks that it's related to that trait. He just doesn't seem to be able to process how weird it is when he combines these childish characteristics with a disabled character who fucks. I legitimately think he put all these pieces together with purpose while simultaneously not realising the stereotype he's reconstructed, like a person putting together a jigsaw puzzle upside down, not realising what the completed image looks from the other side.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ScienceSeagull posted:

Kainda gets some of this too, at least before she's healed by the sunflower. She cries and screams all night, and won't keep her clothes on!

If I wanted to see that I'd turn my monitor off.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zereth posted:

It's some kind of brush that he was, IIRC, initially only using for Ink Magic related poo poo but then he started using it for vegetation too

I feel like he's so excited to discover these brushes that he thinks make him a skilled artist, when the only uses for those brushes has ever been 1990s website backgrounds and little kids playing with Photoshop like it's Kidpix

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

YF-23 posted:

I don't think he realises this though. He is trying to pass Snout off as kind, and because there is a fuzzy line between naivete/innocence and kindness he thinks that portrayals of the former suggest the latter. He writes Snout as someone with a primal, immature fondness for nature because he thinks that it's related to that trait. He just doesn't seem to be able to process how weird it is when he combines these childish characteristics with a disabled character who fucks. I legitimately think he put all these pieces together with purpose while simultaneously not realising the stereotype he's reconstructed, like a person putting together a jigsaw puzzle upside down, not realising what the completed image looks from the other side.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Yep.

I feel like if you want to depict a character who is truly, exceptionally kind in a way that surprises others and rallies them around the character, and not just "innocent", it works better to have someone who actually goes out of their way to help those around them instead of bumbling around blindly fulfilling whatever their current instinctual desire is has endured some hardships and had the world be cruel to them, but because of their inherent goodness/kindness still makes the effort to help others. Its easy for a character to be kind when nothing bad has ever happened to them and there are absolutely no consequences to their actions.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And there’s room for that with Snout, we see him living alone, no family, no apparent friends, no ties to the community whatsoever (except he has definitely had sex before) so that is a thread worth pursuing. You figure at some point someone would ask him about it. But Mookie doesn’t care and so neither do any of the characters.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
you'd think in all their librarying maybe someone would find a book about sign language and we could move on from gigantic written infodumps

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
A competent author might have learned a bit of sign language and incorporated into their comic

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
And a webcomic would be perfect for that because you'd only be able to do one word of the sentence, so you'd have sign language representation without having to learn the entire language.

E and you'd always have something interesting for the hands to do.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

And a webcomic would be perfect for that because you'd only be able to do one word of the sentence, so you'd have sign language representation without having to learn the entire language.

E and you'd always have something interesting for the hands to do.

What's that? Drawing out every single word of the sentence as individual panels with minimal differences between them? Why, even at eight panels a day that could drag an exposition scene out for weeks! Genius!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Moola posted:

competent

The eternal insurmountable hurdle of Mookie.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Dabir posted:

What's that? Drawing out every single word of the sentence as individual panels with minimal differences between them? Why, even at eight panels a day that could drag an exposition scene out for weeks! Genius!

anyone who wants to draw that many hands has earned it, or needs to be arrested

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

anyone who wants to draw that many hands has earned it, or needs to be arrested

Trace that many hands! :pseudo:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Moola posted:

A competent author might have learned a bit of sign language and incorporated into their comic

He wouldn't even have to do that! He could just draw random hand signs and say that's what sign language is in this world. It's at least plausible that a fantasy world wouldn't use ASL.

But nope apparently there's absolutely no way for deaf people to communicate in Mookie's world. What a shame.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

lol

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
You know, I wonder if Mookie drew the Ink Witch's ink ship with a riveted hull and wing flaps in exactly one chapter because he hadn't drawn it in a year and a half and had actually forgotten that it wasn't a mechanical device.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 24, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It does seem like Mookie had a little self awareness when Snout hosed the bog witch, since he threw in that part about "This happens every time I have sex" to let us know that no, Snout totally has sex all the time you guys, the bog witch totally did not seduce a childlike character.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

poo poo you can't just turn him into Booga, the love interest Ripper from Tank Girl! There oughta be a law!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Suddenly the white mist descends into the valley obscuring all the horizon except for arudaks_tower.jpg.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Awww, the smell of flowers reminds him of his physical abuser. How sweet.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The second panel makes it look like he's taking a poo poo in the grass.

I still laugh at that tower design. It's a dildo with a secondary one for the rear end. With veins and everything.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You've been away for like five minutes

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Panel 1 Snout is in the same pose as panel 4 Ethan in loss.jpg

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I'd love to beat snout's rear end

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Figure 56. Emotional Codependency

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Snout's been away for two pages but in Mookie's mind it's like he's been away for several days. Because that's how long it's been since he drew those two pages.

The pacing for this comic is probably completely hosed if you just read it all in one go, but I don't want to test that theory.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean let's be real the pacing is hosed if you read it update by update. Just utter poo poo. I really hope his idiot patrons start complaining about the glacial pace in enough numbers to make him change because it's been three loving years and he's done enough plot to maybe cover 4 months of updates.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can see the cutoff where he pasted the tower in

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

yeah actually they will posted:

I'd love to beat snout's rear end

Misread that at first.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Libra posted:

Snout's been away for two pages but in Mookie's mind it's like he's been away for several days. Because that's how long it's been since he drew those two pages.
Yeah. I'm not sure if there's a name for it, but it often feels like Mookie spends "off-screen" time thinking about what his characters are doing or thinking or whatever, which is fine, but then he forgets that none of the things that he'd been thinking about were actually depicted in the comic.

Kinda like the relationship Snout's pining about here. Like name literally anything about any of the non-Snout party members that isn't part of their ~*tragic backstory*~. Like what kind of problem would you go to Kaianda for help with? What's her uniquely Kaianda-like way of responding to things? What kind of things does she enjoy doing? Like let's say it's her birthday. What would she want as a gift? What would be a terrible gift? How would she react to either of those?

And, I mean, name anything Snout and Kaianda have done together that's not quest-related. Like there was an entire vacation arc, and Snout spent nearly the entire thing by himself. And then when he was shown hanging out with Kaianda, what did they do?

Literally nothing. In the most recent page Mookie is making an appeal to some nebulous and idyllic relationship Snout and Kaianda are presumed to have, but whatever constitutes that relationship is really never depicted in the comic.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Still can't get over Ink Witch just flashing her groin to the ocean.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a clothing optional formless white void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Now because I know what Mookie's like I'm am almost certain it's traced from a picture of a woman receiving cunnilingus, hence the open legs and not how people would sit while wearing a dress. Also explains the more accurate breast position than her usual gravity defying depictions.