Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Opopanax posted:

If I want to play Metal Gear Solid (the original one not Phantom Pain or anything), what is my best way to do so? Emu or somewhere I can pay for it like if GOG and Steam can link up, just something that ideally doesn't require a CS degree

you can try playing the GOG version through the Heroic Launcher on the desktop, but I can't find any word on how well it plays with proton.

you can also try emulating on EmuDeck, since it seems like PSX games run pretty well with little fuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Opopanax posted:

If I want to play Metal Gear Solid (the original one not Phantom Pain or anything), what is my best way to do so? Emu or somewhere I can pay for it like if GOG and Steam can link up, just something that ideally doesn't require a CS degree

Emu the PS1 version honestly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Honestly I just read the goon LP for 1-4 and that was perfectly satisfactory for me. I bought phantom pain but i just can't get into it at all. I don't like sneaking games. Death Stranding is my favorite Kojima game but I didn't like the sneaking in that either.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Disagree, stealth sections were always my least favorite part of games but after I watched Escape from New York something clicked and I binged through MGS1-2. For me they were worth playing, especially 2.

I mean obviously don't play what you don't like just because someone says it's good, but you never know if something will really click unless you give it a good try!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Man, the battery life on this thing is rough. I played Vampire Survivors for like an hour and a half and was down to 22%.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Framboise posted:

Man, the battery life on this thing is rough. I played Vampire Survivors for like an hour and a half and was down to 22%.
You can get away with cranking the TDP down to minimum on Vampire Survivors at least. Turn off wifi and min brightness and you'll get 7-8 hours.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, it's really up to the user to manage the power consumption on this thing. It's really not gonna bother doing even light power management for you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It really depends greatly on the game too. I’ve had AAA games running at 60fps for over 3 hours and indie games that’ll kill it in under 2

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Opopanax posted:

I just beat the PSX version this week with DuckStation installed through EmuDeck. I had to run the emulator via desktop but it worked and looked great. I tried the GOG version on my desktop as well and it didn't look very good and ran at a weird speed, emulated is the way to go.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok I figured it out. Sure wish you could just use the SD card on a pc to drag and drop roms but I got it going and it looks crisp

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Framboise posted:

For gaming on the Dreck in general, set the TDP to 10, maybe 11 W and leave it there, and run 40 Hz/40 FPS cap. And as others have said, for Vampire Survivors or other similarly non-demanding games, you should further minimize the TDP (and other settings) on a per-game basis.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Atomizer posted:

For gaming on the Dreck in general, set the TDP to 10, maybe 11 W and leave it there, and run 40 Hz/40 FPS cap. And as others have said, for Vampire Survivors or other similarly non-demanding games, you should further minimize the TDP (and other settings) on a per-game basis.

This looks like good info, will try it thanks.

That said vampire survivors thrashes the deck harder than AAA games once you're past the 20 minute mark and there are thousands of projectiles flying around.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's weird how Dishonored 2 can't hit a solid 60fps on the lowest settings, yet bumping everything up to ultra only sacrifices maybe 0-5 fps. There's bascially no point in not playing it on max setting because it barely gives the game a performance boost at all.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Ok I figured it out. Sure wish you could just use the SD card on a pc to drag and drop roms but I got it going and it looks crisp

If you want to play the PS1 MGS in widescreen you can use a gameshark / action replay code in addition to emulator widescreen hacks or options.

https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PSOne-Widescreen-Patches?pid=477709#pid477709

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It's weird how Dishonored 2 can't hit a solid 60fps on the lowest settings, yet bumping everything up to ultra only sacrifices maybe 0-5 fps. There's bascially no point in not playing it on max setting because it barely gives the game a performance boost at all.

Sounds like it’s CPU limited

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Ohhhh poo poo, just got my email for the 512. I have a couple of questions-

1. What kind of stuff should I buy for this thing? I’m only going to be playing it at home and likely not on a TV. Screen protectors? What other accessories are needed? I can use Amazon to get that stuff here before it actually arrives I suppose.

2. What can I do with these 68,000 steam points I just got?

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016
Just ordered mine, my order period came a lot sooner than I expected so I'm glad I was keeping an eye out! Can't wait to play vampire survivors on the turlet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chinook posted:

2. What can I do with these 68,000 steam points I just got?

buy a massive amount of big tiddy backgrounds for your steam profile

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I bought a dbrand glass screen and it fits perfectly/flushly so I don’t need to worry about little scratches and stuff.

Other than that maybe a USB-C dongle that has power, hdmi, and some USB-A/C ports, in case you ever need a M/KB, if yours aren’t wireless.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Golashes posted:

I just beat the PSX version this week with DuckStation installed through EmuDeck. I had to run the emulator via desktop but it worked and looked great. I tried the GOG version on my desktop as well and it didn't look very good and ran at a weird speed, emulated is the way to go.

Why did you have to run the emulator via desktop?

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I was pleasantly surprised to find KotOR2 ran fine out the box with controller support and everything. Apparently they did some work to the PC version back in 2015.

Any recommendations for 10+ year old games that run fine with controller prompts? I looked it up and was disappointed Baldurs Gate Enhanced didn't add controller support to the PC version and only the switch version.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The thing has, multiple ways to do mice so I think BG would probably be fine tbh. I have a feeling that one of the trackpads set to a fairly large screen region would be kind of sick actually, but I haven't tried it. That's how I played Torchlight on the Steam Controller though.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

After a few days I'm pretty whelmed by this thing to be honest. I haven't touched it much aside from poking around in Skyrim a bit, and it just feels kinda pointless unless you totally want to play ROMs but never actually do that because the idea of it is more appealing than the reality of doing so when you played those games two decades ago. Loading up Doom, it seems to run like rear end in outdoor areas and I don't consider 30-35FPS at 720p to be a good benchmark for a six year old game with a what's supposed to be an incredible graphics engine. Rocket League and P4G run fine but... who cares?

The ergonomics are fine if not great (though the touchpads and back buttons feel useless), the battery life is pretty poo poo, and it just feels underpowered as a whole. I know we're not talking full console performance or anything but it seems to struggle with a modern games past 720p and I'm finding it hard to see the point. I have an A1 MicroSD which is supposedly useless for Windows and ordered one of the Samsung A2s. I figured I'd see if it was any better with Windows on it for certain games that don't work due in SteamOS to lack of EAC or something else, but I don't really have my hopes up. The built-in desktop mode is cute but feels a little bit hacky.

It shouldn't be hard to resell if I decide to, but I have the sinking feeling people are afraid to admit that it's a really flawed piece of hardware because that would admit to wasting money on it. The previous statement mostly applies to the 512GB model since I don't know if the value proposition is really there, and the reliance on Linux is arguably holding it back even further.

Am I missing something or is it just not for me?

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
IMO the best feature is cross save cross buy with my entire library - I've lots of games that play well on switch but are also on PC and until now I've been forced to choose between portability with bad graphics at home and good experience on PC but no portability. For that niche I don't know that anything else comes close.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My Deck just showed up today. Currently installing:
-Stardew Valley
-GTAV (cause lol)
-Sea of Thieves
-No Man's Sky

Might throw Elder Scrolls Online on there because couch MMO with a handheld sounds neat. I figure as long as this thing replaces my Switch in usage it's money well spent. I have a big beefy gaming PC so I was really just after something to bridge the gap on road/business trips.

Akion fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 25, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

triple sulk posted:

Well either all of us in this thread that like it, and all the people outside of this thread posting on youtube or reddit saying they like it are lying in a grand conspiracy to convince ourselves we didn't waste our money, OR yeah it probably just isn't for you.

It does exactly what I expected it to do far better than I expected it to.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Sounds like it's just not for you. It's a device for emulator tinkerers, people with thousands of unplayed games in their steam backlog, and grinding XP in multiplayer games without sitting at a fire breathing gaming pc.

It's a low end gaming laptop built into a steam controller, not a competitor to a switch or a hypothetical ps vita successor. We're still at least a year off from developers making the steam deck a first class experience for new titles.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

there's an intersection of "emulated titles that weren't available portably" and "less graphically intensive titles, like indies, that weren't available portably" that the steam deck is perfect for. if your interest is in playing big titles with high requirements, you've got the wrong thing probably. I'm using mine to play PS2 games, SNES romhacks, and I'm planning on seeing if Digimon Survive and Tactics Ogre: Reborn run in the near future

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's an amazing emulation and indie game machine. I haven't really tried it with anything demanding except Elden Ring.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's exactly what they said it would be. That's not going to be for everyone. But it is for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

how the hell is OP only getting 35fps on DOOM 2016 at 720p???? that can’t be right

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

how the hell is OP only getting 35fps on DOOM 2016 at 720p???? that can’t be right

I thought that sounded goofy but I haven't tried that game so for all I know it has some kind of hitch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

triple sulk posted:

Yeah probably. Like the trackpads and back buttons being useless a lot of the time is a good point, because unless you go out of your way to bind them or look for community bindings, they are useless in the default maps for most games, but if you do then they're great. Or like, the battery life is poo poo a lot of the time, unless you're willing to go out of your way to manage the power draw, but if you do then the battery lasts pretty much however long you want it to last. Because its still ultimately a weird tinkery portable PC and if that doesn't appeal to you then its probably a pretty underwhelming thing. You aren't wrong.

Doom should be a pretty hard 60 though, idk whats up with that.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

HopperUK posted:

It's exactly what they said it would be. That's not going to be for everyone. But it is for me.

Same, if anything it's exceeded my expectations. My "gaming tower" is from 2013 and I don't like being tied to a TV console so stuff like Cyberpunk 2077 was totally out of reach. I expected to play it in 2025 or something. But now I can download it on the Deck and it just loving works, perfectly.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I have a modern gaming tower and still really appreciate the Steam Deck. I have to do a lot of flying for weddings in August so super stoked to get some mileage out of it on the road!

2D and 2.5D games have definitely consumed most of my time on the device. I've started playing Trails in the Sky and Vampire Survivors and I'm addicted to both.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Considering a Steam Deck but more and more I think 90% of what I want is something with the same form factor that just plays from my PC. I'll give up the travel portability for anything that plays well in bed either wired to my laptop or on the same network. And presumably something that's just a screen, controller and speakers would be cheaper and nicer to hold. Is there a compelling device that already does this?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Elea posted:

Considering a Steam Deck but more and more I think 90% of what I want is something with the same form factor that just plays from my PC. I'll give up the travel portability for anything that plays well in bed either wired to my laptop or on the same network. And presumably something that's just a screen, controller and speakers would be cheaper and nicer to hold. Is there a compelling device that already does this?

I guess you could Steam Link to a phone or something

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

triple sulk posted:

It's just not for you, which is fine! I have been playing Crystal Project, fights in tight spaces, and rogue Legacy 2 a lot with it. So no emulators. I've taken it to Europe (best plane ride ever), and it's easy to bring to my cabin. It's a nice "take a 15-30 minute break from work" where I can play but be in front of my desk (wfh) in case something pops up.

I also like that when I want to play a game, I can play over by my kids. Yeah it's not quality time (which I also do) but we might chat back and forth or my son will show me something he's doing on Roblox. It's nice to be able to do that and not be in front of my PC.

So I've been playing this more than my PC or Xbox. It probably won't be in that top spot forever, but it has a really good place in my day to day.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I guess you could Steam Link to a phone or something
Yeah that works, relatively well. If you have a Vita you can hack it and put Moonlight on it and that's pretty good also. Some of those Anbernics you can also run Moonlight on and they have all the buttons you need to play anything and they're like, $150? If you're spending any kind of real money though idk why you'd get anything other than a Steam Deck at this point. Compared to like, an Aya or a GPD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you're not thrilled to run aircrack-ng in a new form factor you are beyond saving.