Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

roomtone posted:

I'm not from the US, but I've never watched any finding relatives type show, so I didn't have that basis for comparison - but a lot of what makes Finding Frances work so well is that Bill isn't portrayed neutrally. His flaws are focused on as much as his desire to find some old love from his youth, and there's the thread of Nathan being lonely running alongside it. There's this constant skirting between ridiculous and sad which I doubt you'd get in some straight faced find my grandmother type of show starring a presenter and some Normal Person.

the whole thing was permeated with this feeling of futility and loss, of throwing your life away for a deluded fantasy and then trying to scramble back to where you started, in yet another deluded fantasy. and it also managed to still be funny when it wanted to be.

Yeah, just to back this up, having seen/heard the occasional show/podcast about reconnecting with people, part of what Nathan did that was interesting was push back on the narrative. A lot of times the shows just kind of run with what the lead is saying. For example, they'd neither just rip off the bandaid and point out that Bill and Frances weren't kept apart by circumstances or other people, but because he was a young, arrogant horny guy. Nathan keeps poking at it, which creates room for exploring some interesting points about the usual topics (lies we tell ourselves, fake history, dreams, longing, second chances, etc.). And it also kind of has fun pointing out the false reality of those other shows.

And it gives room for Nathan to kind of contemplate his own show. At the time, it was the endcap to 4 seasons of pretty crazy TV and conveyed a sense of Nathan kind of wrapping up what he set out to do. There's a cut line (or maybe an easter egg) in the subtitles at one point where Nathan narrates to the audience that he's worried that he's just clinging to the show because he's scared to let it go and that maybe he'd only followed Bill this far into his questionable story because he was running out of interesting ideas. Which of course kind of tied into the story. It was a good cathartic end...that's not really going to hit if you're literally watching his new show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think "The Hero" is just as good and hosed up as Finding Frances

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I can't believe I read all the discussion in here about when the rehearsed confession about cheating was filmed in Episode 1 because the outfits matched and then I rewatched the episode and there's a very clear scene in the first half where Nathan has Kor pick out what he wants to wear on the day

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah this thread rules

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

hughesta posted:

I can't believe I read all the discussion in here about when the rehearsed confession about cheating was filmed in Episode 1 because the outfits matched and then I rewatched the episode and there's a very clear scene in the first half where Nathan has Kor pick out what he wants to wear on the day

I'm not even going to check if this is true

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was v relieved when Robin bailed

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It sounded like Robin was just a normal rear end in a top hat who had a serious mental breakdown when he crashed his Scion Tc at 100mph.

I felt real bad for his roommate, who also just seemed like a normal rear end in a top hat, who seemed like he was living in absolute hell with having that guy around everyday and its probably been their 50th screaming match.

For some reason the funniest part of the episode was Robin basically going "yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up banging her Nathan."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

hughesta posted:

Look I was trying to [insert a bunch of bullshit that doesn't matter and makes the thread bad]

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Caesar Saladin posted:

It sounded like Robin was just a normal rear end in a top hat who had a serious mental breakdown when he crashed his Scion Tc at 100mph.

I felt real bad for his roommate, who also just seemed like a normal rear end in a top hat, who seemed like he was living in absolute hell with having that guy around everyday and its probably been their 50th screaming match.

For some reason the funniest part of the episode was Robin basically going "yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up banging her Nathan."

Knowing Nathan if things even started to go that way the robot baby would go into crying overdrive.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s amazing a woman who is probably well into her 30s told him that under no circumstances would she have sex before marriage, and his thought process was “but…I’m good looking? I’m still gonna have sex with her, tonight”

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

veni veni veni posted:

It’s amazing a woman who is probably well into her 30s told him that under no circumstances would she have sex before marriage, and his thought process was “but…I’m good looking? I’m still gonna have sex with her, tonight”

Stop signs werent a problem for his Scion Tc at 100mph, and they aren't going to be a problem for him, tongiht.

(i was very relieved when he left)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Like, you would think so, right? But according to that video that's the tenth car he's gone through. It wasn't even the only Scion tC he destroyed.

I really want to know the story about the other 9 cars.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

nathan mentioned she was 44. she was overlooking the +10 year age gap between them (and everything else about him) because she thought he was hot.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Like, you would think so, right? But according to that video that's the tenth car he's gone through. It wasn't even the only Scion tC he destroyed.

I really want to know the story about the other 9 cars.

i wonder how the hell this guy makes a living, if he even does. to go through 10 cars, has a nice place, constantly buying weed, decent clothes, but he seems barely functional.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
god giveth and god taketh

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Somehow having three mattresses is one of the least weird things about this guy.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The episode title was so good. But I am already cringing at the idea of trying to raise several 10 year olds who can’t remember anything you say to them because you didn’t say it to -them-.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Golden Bee posted:

The episode title was so good. But I am already cringing at the idea of trying to raise several 10 year olds who can’t remember anything you say to them because you didn’t say it to -them-.

:lol: It will be exactly like raising one 10 year old. Amazing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Imagine being the guy in charge of Nathan's budget.
"Yeah, I need you guys to transport the replica of that bar to Oregon." That's a bit on the expensive side. Do you have any plans for that?" "Not really, no. But it feels familiar."

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

roomtone posted:

i wonder how the hell this guy makes a living, if he even does. to go through 10 cars, has a nice place, constantly buying weed, decent clothes, but he seems barely functional.

It's portland, you don't need a living.

I'm also glad it's only 30 mins. 1 hour endurance runs of this show would be too extreme.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Palmtree Panic posted:

Somehow having three mattresses is one of the least weird things about this guy.
Mattress City in here.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

emgeejay posted:

But they would pay for a new warehouse and the costs of transporting it there so they... wouldn't feel like they wasted money on its construction? I'll grant that at some point in budgetary discussions, the bar appearing in multiple episodes probably did help justify spending more on building it. But the idea that re-using it was an HBO mandate rather than a creative decision doesn't give the writers enough credit.

There's no way our intended reaction was "smug self-assurance that this is just like what Star Trek Discovery did" versus "lmao he brought the bar with him to Oregon"

Fielder's shows are very obviously constructed in the editing room, with his narration providing the framing and context. Spinning the location back up after reviewing all the footage (or retaining the location and all the participants/mothers/babies the whole time) is a lot more money and effort than filming things as they happen and finding the story in the edit after all shooting has wrapped.

Nathan is a magician and he absolutely uses slight of hand liberally in his act, but we don't gain anything by assuming he must also be faking the juggling somehow.

I'm not really sure what you're arguing against here. You agree HBO probably would want them to reuse the existing expensive set. The episode provides a comedically flimsy reason for Nathan hanging out in a now irrelevant set. Star Trek: Discovery is hardly the only case of warping the narrative to reuse sets. Again, just off the top of my head:

In the later seasons of The 100 various plot contrivances appear to allow characters to revisit old locations despite being many light years and hundreds (thousands?) of years away. It's a little different, but in Angel, at the beginning of the second season, despite being a demon-fighting private eye, Angel incongruously decides to buy and renovate an art-deco LA hotel. This allowed many scenes to take place in the large, open, and most importantly easy to film in hotel lobby instead of Angel's cramped PI's office. In Masters of Sex, Masters and Johnson move into a new office for much the same reason, and the fact that they're operating a sex clinic (where privacy would be quite useful) in a large, open plan office with clear glass walls doesn't ever come up.

We'll probably never know the exact intentions behind this, but it hardly seems a stretch to imagine a show all about how TV is made would make a meta joke about how TV is made.

As for the barn - assuming that the whole baby swapping plan is actually performed for real (and personally I suspect that the timeline is a good bit shorter than the show implies but whatever), they are going to have reams and reams of footage and no idea until it is all over about what is funny or worthwhile. This episode was almost entirely about Angela's dating exploits - it's entirely possible from the beginning that none of that would have been entertaining and might never have even been mentioned on the show. But they hit gold with Robin and so it becomes a big deal. It would be much easier for them to stage conversations in the barn afterwards when they've worked out what the narrative will be later. Remember, in whatever actual control room they'd use to monitor these cameras, the conversations will be about what's funny, not what they have to do to make the experiment work. The barn we see is probably just a sound stage, there's no reason to spin up a location again.

There is a lot that we see, of course, that Nathan does for "real". Angela appear to be a "real" person, as does Robin. For their reactions to be authentic, a lot of this has to be carried out authentically. But for everything else, why would they? "Nathan Fielder" is a character, the real version does not actually believe that an elaborate plan to swap children in and out of a house for a week or two is a good way to actually come to terms with becoming a parent. And it's fun to think about where the gaps between what's shown and how it worked lie.

veni veni veni posted:

Nothing about the logistics of faking moving the set makes sense.

No one's suggesting they didn't move the set.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

roomtone posted:

trust fund, or he's an uber driver/drug dealer. his roommate was tweaking

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

precision posted:

trust fund, or he's an uber driver/drug dealer. his roommate was tweaking

Your driver ROBIN will be arriving in 2 minutes in a SILVER SCION TC

For your safety, please confirm there is no license plate before entering the vehicle.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/620060895209779200

I hate that I only just realized this tweet I've been laughing at for years is Nathan. I thought it was some random ding dong this whole time! Of course I only found out about Nathan and his works a few months ago.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder what they would have done if Robin hadn't bailed in the middle of the night.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Wait are you now arguing the barn is a sound stage or am I misreading your post? Why is it so hard to believe they just cobbled together the funniest convos from the barn? I’m sure they had plenty of footage. I simply do not understand your insistence it must have been done later.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
why the hell is every second post in this thread a complaint about how or why this show was made the way it was

i get it's a pretty meta show but nothing else on tv receives this kind of criticism. i feel like the people complaining about it are super earnest irl or something and need to have absolute structural integrity before they will engage with a narrative which is in itself a lol

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
really its more like every 4th post but you know

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I don't understand the impulse to ruin a wonderfully weird show by trying to peer behind the curtain

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

AndrewP posted:

I wonder what they would have done if Robin hadn't bailed in the middle of the night.

They would've made sure that he left, no way would they let him be around actual kids.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

AndrewP posted:

Yeah I don't understand the impulse to ruin a wonderfully weird show by trying to peer behind the curtain

I think there's two mindsets at play:

1. the people who desperately want to go 'Ha! It's all a setup and you rubes fell for it!'
2. the people who see someone like Robin and are just filled with questions about who he is, where did he come from, because his behavior is so alien to them

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think a show that's so much about artifice and what's "real" is inevitably going to invite people to try to look under the hood.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
It's Nathan's newest magic trick and everyone wants to know how it's done.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lastdancer posted:

It's Nathan's newest magic trick and everyone wants to know how it's done.

But he's showing us exactly how it's being done, that's the entire framing of the show.. There's just a small subset of posters who think there is somehow a secret deeper layer to the trick.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

I'm not really sure what you're arguing against here. You agree HBO probably would want them to reuse the existing expensive set.
No I don't. I think the re-use in subsequent episodes was likely flagged at some point in budgetary discussions as a justification to spend more money on making it a better quality reproduction, but more importantly the decision to move the bar and re-use it was a creative choice by the writers and not an HBO mandate to recoup costs. What they did is far more expensive than simply building the bar a little cheaper and not shipping it to Oregon.

quote:

The episode provides a comedically flimsy reason for Nathan hanging out in a now irrelevant set. Star Trek: Discovery is hardly the only case of warping the narrative to reuse sets. Again, just off the top of my head:

In the later seasons of The 100...

Those examples are scripted dramas taking place in fictional or historical settings, which have no choice but to build a limited number of sets. This is a docu-comedy mostly using real-world locations. The economical choice would be for Nathan to go mope at a local bar close to the acreage, but instead they did something more expensive to be funny. (Important: the funny part is not that they're trying to save money, because if anything they spent considerably more money and effort for Nathan to continue being the Wizard of Loneliness in his fake bar.)

quote:

As for the barn - assuming that the whole baby swapping plan is actually performed for real (and personally I suspect that the timeline is a good bit shorter than the show implies but whatever), they are going to have reams and reams of footage and no idea until it is all over about what is funny or worthwhile.

Why can't the barn scenes be part of that same pile of contemporaneous footage? Nathan's team's whole thing is capturing exactly this kind of stage-managed reality spectacle on film, so why is it outside the realm of possibility to have a second camera crew on an in-character Nathan pulling the strings?

quote:

It would be much easier for them to stage conversations in the barn afterwards when they've worked out what the narrative will be later. Remember, in whatever actual control room they'd use to monitor these cameras, the conversations will be about what's funny, not what they have to do to make the experiment work.

I thought there was no way to tell what's funny until after shooting is wrapped, which is why what we saw couldn't have possibly been shot simultaneously?

quote:

The barn we see is probably just a sound stage, there's no reason to spin up a location again.

When the tightrope walk episode of Nathan For You aired, were there truthers like this who thought they CGIed out a safety harness or there was a second undisclosed swap to a professional stuntman or something? Did people insist H. Jon Benjamin couldn't really have been in that van coaching Nathan live and his side must have been filmed a week later?

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 25, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

WampaLord posted:

But he's showing us exactly how it's being done, that's the entire framing of the show.. There's just a small subset of posters who think there is somehow a secret deeper layer to the trick.
Shows are written in pre-production, production, and in editing. Reality TV shows have beat sheets on what’s going to happen when the bidders open the storage locker. I think the speculation is fine.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's days like these that I curse Lowtax for making the forums.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ymgve posted:

I watched "Finding Frances" and was a bit disappointed. It was a touching story, but after watching some other episodes of Nathan For You and the first episode of The Rehearsal, I expected more insanity. Do you US guys not have TV shows where they help find people that lost each other/distant relatives, so this is something that's more unique over there?

hahaha if they did, would definitely not care to watch that kind of show. Second of all, loving the idea of sitting through Finding Frances taking it as a straightforward "find unconnected person from past" show lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

General Dog posted:

I think a show that's so much about artifice and what's "real" is inevitably going to invite people to try to look under the hood.

yeah but it's also going to be funny to walk by a bunch of rubbernecks hunched in a circle over the engine of a clown car trying to figure out what kind of machinery enabled so many cars to fit in there in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I feel like the only one that thinks the bar is going to be some long term joke throughout the series, and it was planned that way from the start.