Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

some plague rats posted:

WHY

You KEEP loving saying this over and over like it's established fact without offering a single reason why it's true apart from some weird assertion about the DoJ not wanting to be celebrities?

All right, I am completely done with you. If this is posting about posters and I have to eat a probe, so be it.

For a long time now you have been bizarrely, almost obsessively attacking me over and over again on this board whenever you think you see some kind of a gotcha, even when I post something uncontroversial that the rest of the board mostly agrees with. And you don't do it civilly AT ALL, you keep coming after me with anger, as if you are just itching for a forum fight. Well I am not interested in an internet fight with you on a dying comedy message board.

I really don't get it, but for some weird reason you hate me, so I'm done. I am putting you on ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

All right, I am completely done with you. If this is posting about posters and I have to eat a probe, so be it.

For a long time now you have been bizarrely, almost obsessively attacking me over and over again on this board whenever you think you see some kind of a gotcha, even when I post something uncontroversial that the rest of the board mostly agrees with. And you don't do it civilly AT ALL, you keep coming after me with anger, as if you are just itching for a forum fight. Well I am not interested in an internet fight with you on a dying comedy message board.

I really don't get it, but for some weird reason you hate me, so I'm done. I am putting you on ignore.

I don't even know who you are. Have you considered that maybe your argument just isn't very good

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigel posted:

this is, rather than answering the question, complaining about the temerity of the questioner for asking it.

do you have an answer for the question yet, or are we expected to take it as a matter of faith

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

this is, rather than answering the question, complaining about the temerity of the questioner for asking it.

do you have an answer for the question yet, or are we expected to take it as a matter of faith

We've literally never had a criminal prosecution of a former president before despite many opportunities to do so. The answer (and the reason why this time is different) is kind of obvious. There's not a big conspiracy, you are going to need the support of the people for such a monumental, historic, earth-shaking step. I'm not sure you appreciate just how much of a big deal this would, and hopefully will, be.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigel posted:

We've literally never had a criminal prosecution of a former president before despite many opportunities to do so. The answer (and the reason why this time is different) is kind of obvious. There's not a big conspiracy, you are going to need the support of the people for such a monumental, historic, earth-shaking step. I'm not sure you appreciate just how much of a big deal this would, and hopefully will, be.

please understand that answering the question "why" with "to me, it's obvious" is a singularly unhelpful argument.

the institutions of American power are capable of doing far worse without even the shadow of public support. ask anyone who used to be able to get an abortion, or the corpses of the al-Awlaki family for details. what about putting a laughably corrupt man on trial for his obvious crimes demands everyone involved be sure it's polling at 60% favorability before pulling the trigger.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rigel posted:

rigel what conditions would have to come about for you to consider your beliefs about the jan 6 committee to be proven untrue?

This is a sincere question, and not just shitstirring. For me, and I suspect many of the doubters, if Trump faces the threat of actual jailtime and prosecution he can't simply ignore, I will consider Jan 6 and the consequences thereof to be a meaningful event. What would it take for you to come to believe that Jan 6 hearings were ultimately political theater?

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Rigel posted:

the reason why this particular time is different is not obvious to me. Can you please elaborate?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rigel posted:

It's really not. You keep citing this like it's such common sense we all must just get it but people obviously don't. You need to back it up with something. Do you have historical evidence? Data that backs up your assertion? Many unpopular actions are performed by the government, you need to provide evidence on what makes this an exception.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

The opinion of anyone not named Merrick Garland is irrelevant to opening a criminal investigation in this case

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dubar posted:

The opinion of anyone not named Merrick Garland is irrelevant to opening a criminal investigation in this case

Luckily I can read his thoughts.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Not to imply that Mueller She Wrote isn't going to have this problem licked by tomorrow, but one of the various ongoing investigations might want to go on because its looking like ol Donnie's options in 2024 are the big house or the white house if you catch my meaning.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Mueller She Wrote is Welcome to NightVale for Sorkin fans. That 52k PPP "loan" which they don't have to pay back was spent on R&D for new techniques in liberal wish fulfilment. Listening to that garbage makes you actively less politically informed in the same way as watching Tucker

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's really not. You keep citing this like it's such common sense we all must just get it but people obviously don't. You need to back it up with something. Do you have historical evidence? Data that backs up your assertion? Many unpopular actions are performed by the government, you need to provide evidence on what makes this an exception.

Prosecuting and jailing a former national leader against the will of the people is one of the classic hallmarks of a failed democracy. We see and condemn it all the time when authoritarian regimes do this. This is not the same as going after a congressman or even some random Senator. When the people do not support the criminal prosecution of a former national leader, they are going to see it as a slide away from a functioning and just democracy, and at best maybe we would only see riots and some violence for a little while, but the reaction would probably be much worse than that.

This concept is so strong and ingrained that even when we had a former president dead to rights on crimes after Nixon, even when the people were moving towards possibly supporting prosecution, we still couldn't do it. The crime has to be big enough and the support has to be strong. Some of the people who looked at the 1/6 hearings and went "these hearings are interesting and entertaining, but I don't really get why these televised hearings are important", really aren't getting it. You have to build popular support for this step.

You are acting like I have the burden of proof here, but I do not. The weight of history is with me, you are the one making bold claims, saying that it really shouldn't be a big deal to prosecute a former president without popular support, no not having the people with you before taking this step is a huge problem.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 25, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rigel posted:

This concept is so strong and ingrained that even when we had a former president dead to rights on crimes after Nixon, even when the people were moving towards possibly supporting prosecution, we still couldn't do it.

What are you talking about, "we couldn't do it"? We couldn't do it because his vice president loving pardoned him. A single powerful person unilaterally settled the issue.

This is the problem with your whole deal, you have attributed all past political prosecutions or lack thereof on the will of the people, with zero basis whatsoever, and you've completely excised the idea that people in power might have their own interests.

Rigel posted:

The weight of history is with me

No, you have assembled an absurd explanation for historical facts that completely rules out any consideration of the concept of powerful people have interests beyond doing the will of 50%+1 of the American people.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gripweed posted:

No, you have assembled an absurd explanation for historical facts that completely rules out any consideration of the concept of powerful people have interests beyond doing the will of 50%+1 of the American people.

We almost always condemn this when it occurs in other countries.

Your insistence that there would be no significant problem at all if we started prosecuting and jailing former national leaders against the will of the people is just completely absurd to me. Yet, you get to just assert that as a fact and demand I prove why it isn't so, and I don't get to just assert that you are wrong. This topic does not naturally lend itself to proof, we aren't debating the possible outcomes of different tax policies.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 25, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
almost the entire last ~page of posts is this argument, maybe just drop it or take it to the Jan 6th thread? doesn't seem to be very productive

edit: specifically, Rigel's argument seems to be an unfalsifiable appeal to the will of the people, if they included recent polling that might be stronger. It seems like kinda handwaving.

Also, Jarmak might've laid Rigel's argument out better last page? But I still think it's not really going anywhere

Jarmak posted:

Impeachment is a political act, a criminal prosecution is not a political act but when done to a former president is likely to be seen as a political act unless it has general popular support. Politicians do political poo poo that is generally unpopular but popular with their constituents all the time, whereas DOJ career officials are historically timid about prosecutions that could be perceived as political... arguably to a fault when it comes to politicians.

Exhibit A: Bill Clinton's impeachment was widely unpopular.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 25, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

edit: Alright, argument over. But this post had decisively blown their argument out of the water, I just want everyone to understand that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You keep pointing to Nixon but there was popular support to charge him. The pardon was an unpopular decision made by someone in power who gave the pardon for his own interests, not weakening the office he now held. You're right in that the lack of popularity caused it to be seen as a black mark against democracy but you're all over the place. I think you have the vibes right but you're all over the place in your argument since you just don't seem to have anything to back it up beyond your gut which is cool but not how D&D should work.

Either way a majority of Americans believe Trump should be charged. A majority also believe he won't be.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/poll-trump-should-be-charged-for-jan-6-about-half-of-americans-say

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fritz the Horse posted:

almost the entire last ~page of posts is this argument, maybe just drop it or take it to the Jan 6th thread? doesn't seem to be very productive

edit: specifically, Rigel's argument seems to be an unfalsifiable appeal to the will of the people, if they included recent polling that might be stronger. It seems like kinda handwaving.

Also, Jarmak might've laid Rigel's argument out better last page? But I still think it's not really going anywhere

Is the argument dropped or not? Because I can keep going if it's still on. I got all day

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dubar posted:

It's basically this.

The last page of arguments has basically been arguing about why you think it is likely or not likely that they will charge Trump with something. That isn't falsifiable until they actually do or don't. If you've laid out your reasons why you think they will/won't, then find another angle to talk about it. Back and forth of "they will" and "they won't" isn't interesting or something you can prove until they do or don't.

And Rigel, please don't just make a post entirely directed as a personal attack on another poster. Just a heads up.

I'm dismissing all of the reports related to that whole argument. But, just wanted to put that out there.

Gripweed posted:

Is the argument dropped or not? Because I can keep going if it's still on. I got all day

I don't want to speak for Fritz, but you can keep going with it. Just find some angle that isn't a back of forth of "they will" and "they won't" over and over.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't want to speak for Fritz, but you can keep going with it. Just find some angle that isn't a back of forth of "they will" and "they won't" over and over.

this ^^

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hell yeah it's back on

Rigel posted:

Your insistence that there would be no significant problem at all if we started prosecuting and jailing former national leaders against the will of the people is just completely absurd to me. Yet, you get to just assert that as a fact and demand I prove why it isn't so, and I don't get to just assert that you are wrong. This topic does not naturally lend itself to proof, we aren't debating the possible outcomes of different tax policies.

No one is arguing that they should start ailing popular politicians willy nilly. Not in this argument at least. We are disagreeing on why they won't. You think it's because they are scared to do something without the will of the people behind them. I think that it's because of basic class solidarity and power. The people who would be prosecuting the politicians have probably met those politicians socially. They move in the same circles and inhabit the same world. They are all powerful government people. So of course there is a natural disinclination to prosecute. On top of that, politicians, even unpopular ones, have power. Former presidents have power. So to prosecute them is a personal risk. Not from the great mass of people, but the people who actually matter. The connections that the politician has to draw on.

That's why it's unlikely that Trump will be prosecuted. To quote Denis Leary, "It's one big club, and you ain't in it"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

That's why it's unlikely that Trump will be prosecuted. To quote Denis Leary, "It's one big club, and you ain't in it"

George Carlin

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I feel like attributing a George Carlin routine to Denis Leary might be ban-worthy.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I feel like attributing a George Carlin routine to Denis Leary might be ban-worthy.

I.5.a.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Agreed but there's like a 50/50 chance Leary stole it from Carlin.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Rigel posted:

you know, it really is a shame when former posting champions insist on continuing to compete well past their prime

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh now we care about people getting their facts right, just disgraceful

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/Sen_JoeManchin/status/1551563772807917570?t=2P5yqMaXhJK5WSjd2CC9EA&s=19

Looks like President Manchin has the Rona. Unfortunately, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rigel posted:

We see and condemn it all the time when authoritarian regimes do this.

Rigel posted:

Just want to point out that the reason "we" do this has nothing to do with authoritarianism or taking some moral stance. It is almost always because the previous person was good for US business interests, and was just as authoritarian or even more so than their successor. Bolivia is an extremely good example of this. Jeanine Anez is a far right racist psycho who came to power through a coup, and ordered multiple violent massacres to crack down on protestors. When she was democratically deposed and imprisoned, the US immediately started calling for her release.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Just want to point out that the reason "we" do this has nothing to do with authoritarianism or taking some moral stance. It is almost always because the previous person was good for US business interests, and was just as authoritarian or even more so than their successor. Bolivia is an extremely good example of this. Jeanine Anez is a far right racist psycho who came to power through a coup, and ordered multiple violent massacres to crack down on protestors. When she was democratically deposed and imprisoned, the US immediately started calling for her release.

One weird trick to popular will, kill everyone who disagrees with you. Leftists hate it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The good thing about The Popular Will is it always and only wants good, correct things and everyone who wields it does so for the right reasons.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

the_steve posted:

https://twitter.com/Sen_JoeManchin/status/1551563772807917570?t=2P5yqMaXhJK5WSjd2CC9EA&s=19

Looks like President Manchin has the Rona. Unfortunately, I'm sure he'll be fine.

I mean, no outcome would be good. If Manchin stopped being a senator, he'd be replaced by a Republican who'd be equally obstructive.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Maybe he'll get a rare covid side effect that makes him less of a piece of poo poo.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

While we're on it, Gaetz is stealing from Carlin too.

"Why are most of the folks against abortion people you wouldn't want to gently caress anyway?"

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Jaxyon posted:

While we're on it, Gaetz is stealing from Carlin too.

"Why are most of the folks against abortion people you wouldn't want to gently caress anyway?"

Not everyone can venmo daddy's money to HOT LOCAL SINGLES

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Rigel posted:

I don't know you or your posts from a hole in the ground but I don't think it's unreasonable for you to state the justification for why you think that you need popular support for criminal proceedings against a president. That's an extremely relevant question because it places the rest of your posts in context so why not just answer it

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Jarmak posted:

Impeachment is a political act, a criminal prosecution is not a political act but when done to a former president is likely to be seen as a political act unless it has general popular support. Politicians do political poo poo that is generally unpopular but popular with their constituents all the time, whereas DOJ career officials are historically timid about prosecutions that could be perceived as political... arguably to a fault when it comes to politicians.

Exhibit A: Bill Clinton's impeachment was widely unpopular.

Criminal prosecutions are absolutely political acts, regardless of whether the target is a politician or not. Like half of politics is war on drugs/tough on crime/we need more cops.

Pobrecito fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 25, 2022

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Pobrecito posted:

Criminal prosecutions are absolutely political acts, regardless of whether the target is a politician is the target. Like half of politics is war on drugs/tough on crime/we need more cops.

Felon disenchanisement as well! Laws are mechanics and their enforcement is onto the underclass to empower the overclass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Pobrecito posted:

Criminal prosecutions are absolutely political acts, regardless of whether the target is a politician or not. Like half of politics is war on drugs/tough on crime/we need more cops.

there is a strange fantasy among democrats that if the judiciary, military, or both do something, it is no longer political

my wild guess as to why this is is that as the democratic party's ability/willingness to do anything on its constituents' behalf has waned, the parts of the government still capable of taking actions got fetishized as 'above politics'