Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yusin posted:

Beholders could also sometimes spawn exact copies of themselves that they were more tolerant of as well. Though they have to be exact, even minor details being different will make Beholders want to kill each other on sight.

i think Spelljammer (maybe?) even had beholder hives where certain rare variants could just mind control the rest into getting along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Detective Pikachu was actually okay. Like it's not amazing, and it was forgotten pretty fast, but I'd maintain it's the best live action video game adaptation so far. The characters are on model, they act like you'd expect, it's fine. Everything's fine.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

theironjef posted:

Detective Pikachu was actually okay. Like it's not amazing, and it was forgotten pretty fast, but I'd maintain it's the best live action video game adaptation so far. The characters are on model, they act like you'd expect, it's fine. Everything's fine.

I would say the recent sonic movies were a step up in quality as well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

theironjef posted:

it's okay, but it's not weird enough. in a better world where marketing analysis isn't as advanced it could have been a modern day Super Mario Brothers: The Movie. instead, well, at least we get Mewtwo as Pokemon Moses and human form Ditto lol

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

papasyhotcakes posted:

I would say the recent sonic movies were a step up in quality as well.

Visually, yes. And Jim Carrey is like just remarkable as Robotnik. But the first one had way too much "Small town livin' is the best, how dare you dream about the city" stuff that felt way off, and the second one is a ludicrous fever dream.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's okay, but it's not weird enough. in a better world where marketing analysis isn't as advanced it could have been a modern day Super Mario Brothers: The Movie. instead, well, at least we get Mewtwo as Pokemon Moses and human form Ditto lol

I mean there's that scene after they realize that the lab they break into is experimenting with artificially growing pokemon, then they head outside to realize that every mountain all the way to the horizon is a Torterra, as they all stand up and shake themselves off, then sit back down. No one in town notices that the skyline suddenly stood up though.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 24, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

Visually, yes. And Jim Carey is like just remarkable as Robotnik. But the first one had way too much "Small town livin' is the best, how dare you dream about the city" stuff that felt way off, and the second one is a ludicrous fever dream.
OK yes but "Not joining the SFPD" is definitely a happy ending.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I've seen most of Uwe Boll's film adaptations of video games I don't regret a single one, they're all pretty bad except Dungeon Siege was OK and Postal was actually pretty loving great in the sense that it was a very well-done adaptation of the game. New DnD movie looks fine, I'll probably watch it when it comes out on Netflix or something.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Splicer posted:

OK yes but "Not joining the SFPD" is definitely a happy ending.

He's still a small town cop. Pig's a pig even if the sty is small.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

theironjef posted:

He's still a small town cop. Pig's a pig even if the sty is small.
Micropigs is a fake idea, no matter the context.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

His Hunter: The Reckoning was going to be based on the video game, of course, (a game based on an RPG is frankly absurd to consider) but I think the loophole closed so he didn't make it. That could have been something.

So you're telling me we were not only deprived of seeing the WoD on the big screen but we were also deprived of the absolute disaster of a film it would have been?

It would have probably been cheap poo poo like every movie he's made but it might have been an interesting disaster at least.

:(

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Terrible Opinions posted:

all of the Tekken movies, albeit those were all anime.

There's a live action one too!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

So you're telling me we were not only deprived of seeing the WoD on the big screen but we were also deprived of the absolute disaster of a film it would have been?

It would have probably been cheap poo poo like every movie he's made but it might have been an interesting disaster at least.

Hope springs eternal but none of his other disasters are interesting. They just generally suck. If Postal is fascinating I'd credit the actors, not Boll.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

theironjef posted:

Hope springs eternal but none of his other disasters are interesting. They just generally suck. If Postal is fascinating I'd credit the actors, not Boll.

Postal was the only Uwe movie I saw that I didn't hate strangely enough? House of the Dead was the first I saw and I was blown away but what a total piece of poo poo it was.

Then I watched Bloodrayne a couple years later and it was worse but at least kinda funny to watch Sir Ben Kingsley get paid to sit and look bored through like 90% of the movie.

Then Postal was....well it was exactly what I expected a Postal movie to be and I remember enjoying it but I suspect it probably doesn't hold up at all.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

at least kinda funny to watch Sir Ben Kingsley get paid to sit and look bored through like 90% of the movie.

Pretty much the only positive thing you'll ever heard about any of his movies is "Can you believe they got X real actor to sit and look bored in this?" I remember thinking it about Perlman and Liotta in Dungeon Siege. Perlman was so checked out I was surprised there wasn't a scene of him checking sports scores on his phone, and Liotta only ever had scenes with like one other bad guy in one room, so you know he was in an out of Germany in an hour and a half.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The trailer for the fourth attempt at a Dungeons & Dragons movie just dropped. I'm not much of a Bible quoter, but Proverbs 26:11 comes to mind.

:thejoke:

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah, it's been ages but from what I remember about him talking about it before it was canned Boll's movie wasn't going to have much of anything to do with the video game so not unlike House of the Dead probably.

(And if somebody would say 'oh, he's not pulling from the rich narrative of HtR's video games' then I would only shrug and nod, of course.)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

:thejoke:

Yeah, it's been ages but from what I remember about him talking about it before it was canned Boll's movie wasn't going to have much of anything to do with the video game so not unlike House of the Dead probably.

(And if somebody would say 'oh, he's not pulling from the rich narrative of HtR's video games' then I would only shrug and nod, of course.)

I mean the plot of the Reckoning games were paper-thin anyway, it was a Gauntlet clone with a coat of WoD paint on it, so I dunno how much more you can deviate from "Group of people with magic powers fight monsters".

Like I don't think it would have touched on literally anything of relevance from the table top game, but it would have at least been an amusing bit of WoD trivia, like that awful "Kindred the Embraced" TV show from the mid 90s that was so cheap they couldn't be bothered to actually shoot day for night shots and have multiple scenes of vampires walking around in broad rear end daylight.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
And now I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed the Prince of Persia movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The best D&D movie is still Conan the Destroyer. All the cliches are there.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Snorb posted:

And now I feel like I'm the only person who enjoyed the Prince of Persia movie.

Hard to give it the crown of video game movies, even if it was pretty good, because of all the whitewashing.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
It’s been years since I’ve seen it, so it might not have aged well, but I thought The Gamers nailed the D&D experience pretty well.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
The best D&D move is Zero Charisma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtgoAt7ZTyE

FLGS scenes filmed at Great Hall Games (R.I.P.) here in Austin. Gods I miss that place.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

I mean the plot of the Reckoning games were paper-thin anyway, it was a Gauntlet clone with a coat of WoD paint on it, so I dunno how much more you can deviate from "Group of people with magic powers fight monsters".

Uwe would have found a way. I believe in him.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FrostyPox posted:

I've seen most of Uwe Boll's film adaptations of video games I don't regret a single one, they're all pretty bad except Dungeon Siege was OK and Postal was actually pretty loving great in the sense that it was a very well-done adaptation of the game. New DnD movie looks fine, I'll probably watch it when it comes out on Netflix or something.

FarCry was pretty decent and Bloodrayne is just stupidly silly fun for the casting of Michael Madsen.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Berkshire Hunts posted:

It’s been years since I’ve seen it, so it might not have aged well, but I thought The Gamers nailed the D&D experience pretty well.

There's a few jokes that fall flat now, I think, but it holds up.

Knights of Badassdom is a great ridiculous LARP movie. Peter Dinklage looks like he has a blast hamming it up.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Berkshire Hunts posted:

Dudes and Dragons wasn't bad, but The Gamers was pretty decent.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hel posted:

Except that no one else made good video game movies either( and pretty much still don't, especially live action), so the chance of someone making a good one would still have been zero, even if Boll had never touched it. So while Boll did nothing to help the reputation of video game adaptions, it was already dead even before he made his first one by movies like Super Mario and Street Fighter, and while the some of the Tomb Raider and Resident Evil movies have their moments, they are still really bad as adaptions of video games. I think the TR movie was more an adaption of the comics than the games anyway.

People getting excited about video game movie adaptions really confuse me, because there is nothing to suggest it will rise above mediocre.
OK so I just have to say that "Nobody makes good video game movies" isn't really a rebuttal to "Uwe Boll significantly reduced the chances of anyone making good video game movies". You could just as easily use the former as confirmation of the latter. Video games with enough plot that you could actually make a film out of them were, what, 20 years old? when we launched into over a decade of them being dominated by one guy just absolutely making GBS threads out garbage on purpose.

e: like of course the super Mario brothers movie was awful, someone was told to make an action film out of plumber jumps on turtles. It good have been better but it couldn't have been good. It's not really comparable to something like Resident Evil.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 25, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They're basically where superhero movies were before Iron Man.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

moths posted:

They're basically where superhero movies were before Iron Man.
The Burton Batmans and the first two Tony Maguire Spider-mans are significant outliers.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Splicer posted:

e: like of course the super Mario brothers movie was awful, someone was told to make an action film out of plumber jumps on turtles. It good have been better but it couldn't have been good. It's not really comparable to something like Resident Evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgXjQwVa8kU

This movie is a real good deep dive on the Mario bros movie and the like... three or four alternate versions of the movie that never got made.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Uwe would have found a way. I believe in him.

And now you understand why I'm sad! We were robbed!

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Honestly the first Resident Evil movie is a pretty solid adaption of the games that seems like it could legit be an entry in the series, it just got eclipsed by the later movies that include a few moments and characters from ~the series~ alongside Alice being Zombie Jesus, even after she's not anymore

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Berkshire Hunts posted:

Is this the one where one of the characters is played by a guy who got busy and hardly ever makes it to sessions anymore, so the PC is just sort of standing around blankly / not there until someone remembers he should be? Because that was some stone-cold cinema verite, right there.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Antivehicular posted:

Is this the one where one of the characters is played by a guy who got busy and hardly ever makes it to sessions anymore, so the PC is just sort of standing around blankly / not there until someone remembers he should be? Because that was some stone-cold cinema verite, right there.

Yep! And also pops out from behind a convenient tree when somebody remembers he's there... and continues to stand around and stare blankly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising is similarly pretty great. There's a guy playing a hot chick who keeps on forgetting that he's playing a woman. Whenever he forgets it portrays him in the game wearing the outfit made of straps. On one occasion when someone points it out to him. The male and female versions of his character tag out like a wrestling match.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I got curious what the most critically acclaimed videogame adaptation was and it's a movie based on a videogame based on Werewolf:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolves_Within_(film)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Megazver posted:

I got curious what the most critically acclaimed videogame adaptation was and it's a movie based on a videogame based on Werewolf:

I think it's always worth bringing up the first Silent Hill movie, which is agreed on by fans of the classic games in the series to be about as good as an adaptation could get despite the plot making negative sense. Like of all things you'd think Silent Hill would have an absolutely abysmal movie version but somehow they nailed it on the very first one.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Megazver posted:

I had no idea it was technically based on Werewolf, I guess there's some of the same paranoia from the game about who is/isn't the werewolf. Very fun movie, though, definitely worth a watch if you enjoy horror-comedy or like Sam Richardson.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The first Resident Evil movie was real good, as mentioned, before it turned into the Director showing off how badass his girlfriend/wife was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The watchability of video game movies is usually down to the people actually making the film. The writing on Silent Hill was a total loving disaster, but Christophe Gans is a competent director. The RE series peaked with Extinction because Russell Mulcahy is a better director than Anderson and weird futuristic stuff is his thing. (The "gun fu in a blank white laboratory" scenes in the RE films are all inferior versions of "Video Killed the Radio Star," and all of Extinction is an inferior version of "Wild Boys.")

The Hitman movies look and feel like they were made by someone who's never seen an action movie but had the concept described to them over the phone. They're on the same level as Uwe Boll's video game movies (except for Postal which is near the top of the heap).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The best movie based on a TG is Clue.