Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

RhoA posted:

I’ve been slowly making my way through Alyx because I’ve heard it’s just phenomenal, but I cannot do more than an hour at a time unless I want to lie on the ground for hours afterwards due to the nausea. Might have to just prescribe myself some Scopolamine and Zofran and go for it.

Have you tried blink teleport? Almost everybody should be able to handle that, but smooth movement and the shift teleport both involve moving your view and can cause motion sickness.

Your discomfort could also be caused by not maintaining frame rate and going into reprojection, might be worth trying to turn down your graphic settings. However, if that's not your problem, you should probably turn up the refresh rate if that's possible on your headset.

I need at least 90hz to be comfortable with movement but the more hertz the more comfortable it all is for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

TIP posted:

Have you tried blink teleport? Almost everybody should be able to handle that, but smooth movement and the shift teleport both involve moving your view and can cause motion sickness.

Your discomfort could also be caused by not maintaining frame rate and going into reprojection, might be worth trying to turn down your graphic settings. However, if that's not your problem, you should probably turn up the refresh rate if that's possible on your headset.

I need at least 90hz to be comfortable with movement but the more hertz the more comfortable it all is for me.

I have tried the blink teleport, but still had some minor issues with that. I’m using a Valve Index, so I’ll try to play with the settings and see if that makes a difference. I’m running everything off of a 2080 Super, so I think I’ve had graphics turned up, but have never checked what FPS I’m running consistently. Thanks for the advice.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

ephori posted:

Did that laser tag mode ever come out for Space Pirate Trainer?

I thought it did, Space Pirate Trainer DX. Always wanted to try it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Was checking the VR fest since its gone in about 10h.
Not seeing anything that I cant wait until a new sale for.
Though I did see that Hubris has a demo.
Cant wait to see how this turns out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1265800/Hubris/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

DoctorRobert posted:

VR is dead cos no one did a proper large-fov headset, like another 20-30 degrees over the index with solid overlap and no stupid distortions like pimax or lens blur or eyestrain also like Pimax. Prove me wrong.

It's because they're still all big fat heavy face bricks rather than FOV imo. 90 degree FOV is still reasonable.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

RhoA posted:

I’ve been slowly making my way through Alyx because I’ve heard it’s just phenomenal, but I cannot do more than an hour at a time unless I want to lie on the ground for hours afterwards due to the nausea. Might have to just prescribe myself some Scopolamine and Zofran and go for it.

TIP posted:

No wonder VR is dead, no one can figure out how to move in game without people getting physically sick. All of the fixes to this problem sound like Jobs saying you’re holding the iPhone 4 wrong.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
FOV is definitely my number one most wanted improvement. I’d consider the Quest 2 basically my flawless if it didn’t sort of feel like looking through a window into the world

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Index is still the one with the widest FOV, is it?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jakabite posted:

FOV is definitely my number one most wanted improvement. I’d consider the Quest 2 basically my flawless if it didn’t sort of feel like looking through a window into the world

:emptyquote:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Who doesn't think that FOV is a priority, it is the one improvement to the Quest that would make me upgrade on the spot, absolutely nothing else matters as much to me right now.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
My biggest wish for a VR headset is for one that just feels like a pair of sunglasses or maybe ski goggles to wear without all the bulk. I’d be fine with all the computery bits attached to a cable that I can pocket or clip to my waist or something. I guess it’s not really possible with current tech with the need for the deep lenses but I’d love to be able to look around without the feel of a computer strapped to my face.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Who doesn't think that FOV is a priority, it is the one improvement to the Quest that would make me upgrade on the spot, absolutely nothing else matters as much to me right now.

VR nerds want more FOV and obviously it would make for a better experience, but I don't think it's necessarily what is needed to create the breakout product that every company is trying to make. Fidelity and FOV in Quest 2 (at least in the best case rendering scenario) are good *enough*, I feel at this point more than anything else they need the goggles to be far smaller and lighter.

Pancake lenses and eye tracking should let us have our cake and eat it too though, higher FOV headsets without foveated rendering was massively wasteful anyway.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Regarding FOV, it seems to me they need to develop a new optical system to truly have a notably bigger fov than current devices, without having to go the ful wiiiide route like Pimax. Some kind of curved lens.

---

https://twitter.com/BitPlanetGames/status/1551304760652873728

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

VR nerds want more FOV and obviously it would make for a better experience, but I don't think it's necessarily what is needed to create the breakout product that every company is trying to make. Fidelity and FOV in Quest 2 (at least in the best case rendering scenario) are good *enough*, I feel at this point more than anything else they need the goggles to be far smaller and lighter.

Pancake lenses and eye tracking should let us have our cake and eat it too though, higher FOV headsets without foveated rendering was massively wasteful anyway.

PSVR2's potentially going to be the real game-changer, if what half Sony have said about it holds up tech-wise.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I will admit that weight and form factor are a close second to FOV, I'd probably also immediately drop the cash on a new Quest that cuts down the bulk significantly.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

No wonder VR is dead, no one can figure out how to move in game without people getting physically sick. All of the fixes to this problem sound like Jobs saying you’re holding the iPhone 4 wrong.

I consider this a virtually solved problem at this point. The answer is hand movement based locomotion, but devs don't seem interested in using it, broadly

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I read a thing about how programming a visible nose alleviated most motion sickness in test subjects. I gave them a sense of physical anchoring or something.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Do devs have to roll their own locomotion solutions from scratch? Or are there "(x) locomotion sdk" packages out there?

(My limited fiddling with this stuff didn't give me much insight into this)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

Do devs have to roll their own locomotion solutions from scratch? Or are there "(x) locomotion sdk" packages out there?

there's probably a bunch of assets for it but for most cases you probably want to roll your own imo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I don't want more FOV I want more games!!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Leal posted:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Leal posted:

Actually I want both, but if I have to choose one.......

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

What a crock of poo poo. These two things aren't mutually exclusive. They only are because Oculus paid them to be exclusive.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Lemming posted:

I consider this a virtually solved problem at this point. The answer is hand movement based locomotion, but devs don't seem interested in using it, broadly

This. Buttons and thumbsticks are a crutch imo.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I read a thing about how programming a visible nose alleviated most motion sickness in test subjects. I gave them a sense of physical anchoring or something.

That was a claim Ubisoft made back when Eagle Flight was being shown off, but as far as I know there has never been any actual decent research to confirm it. It's more one of those "well, it sounds plausible?" kind of things.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My VR dog has no nose!
How does it smell?
Motion sickness!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

TIP posted:

Sorry I didn’t mean to sound like I was picking on your response. Really the fact that VR is still more complicated than ‘put it on’ means it won’t be mainstream when you also have to build your resistance to barfing from the product.

Lemming posted:

You mean like swinging your arms to move? Honestly the problem is solved for me and I don’t get sick. I like full locomotion movement with the sticks, but I’m also a turbo dork who invested thousands into the hobby.

I guess my point is maybe it’s not just a software problem. Maybe it is the FOV, foveated whatever rendering / eye tracking + resolution that makes this a non issue? Or maybe the extra fidelity will make it worse for newbies? :classiclol:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Because they think it wont work and wont just throw a form of it into whatever they are making to test it.

I had to convince our devs that "itll work i swear" before they would slap in any form of armswing. Its in, it works, I was right, but it took convincing AND being the "lead" on game direction/etc.

People are just hung up on stick movement.

Interesting side effect of turning on armswing/pro-loco. It smoothed out the start/stop of stick movement since theres a tiny bit of glide now when using the stick due to how pro-loco works. Totally fixed the issues I personally had with our stick movement and getting sick. Woo!

The Eyes Have It posted:

marumaru posted:

there's probably a bunch of assets for it but for most cases you probably want to roll your own imo

Lots of plugins tbh. Unless you're making something brand new, theres a good chance something similar to what you want exists and you just grab that and modify it as needed.

Or you make your own.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I will admit that weight and form factor are a close second to FOV, I'd probably also immediately drop the cash on a new Quest that cuts down the bulk significantly.

The friction of the headset is why I don't VR much outside of game testing and the occasional workout. If I'm playing stand alone on the quest, assuming ive turned it on and its updated to use, is the best case for me and even then its still not the most comfy thing to have on my face for an hour+. I personally only managed the 6+ hours before because playing beat saber was my literal job. Now? couple hours a week tops.

and PCVR friction? HAHAHAHA.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 25, 2022

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Kwolok posted:

What a crock of poo poo. These two things aren't mutually exclusive. They only are because Oculus paid them to be exclusive.

Feels like the Gamecube/Xbox era of gaming all over again, where PC gaming was constantly being pushed as not monetarily worth it. Including when Steam was first released.

Man getting into VR is like going back to early 2000 gaming

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

TIP posted:

Man that energy ball throwing at the end of Alyx was something that just did not work for me. Maybe I was doing it wrong (game doesn't give much guidance) but I remember it being a real pain in the rear end to get it to work right and I gave myself a super sore wrist.

You have to mime the only other species in half life that shoots green energy from their palms, so I did what I've seen vortigaunts do since 1999

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kwolok posted:

They only are because Oculus paid them to be exclusive.

What? Both Ultrawings games are on Quest and pc. As far as I know, there was no exclusivity or deal or anything, they are just some random indie vr dev.

edit: that said, there is some nuance that can be said, like the game released on Quest one month before, and in PC there are other flight games like DCS and all that (although not one like UW2, focused on acrobatics).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 25, 2022

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Yeah, those numbers are not what I'd expect. I share the total number of online players for Gorilla Tag, and right now the total CCU is about 21,000 (a bot lists those numbers here https://data.gorillatag.co.uk/?stats=1). On Steam, you can see that there are about 500 people (https://vrlfg.net/players/1533390) total playing right now.

I leave the possible difference in income as a purely theoretical exercise because there are various restrictions on what you're allowed to share.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lmao 21k players on a Monday afternoon (in America), fuckin' grats man :cheers:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Having some weird issues with my Index :ohdear:

I moved my office into another room this year. A few weeks ago I finally moved the lighthouses into the new room and calibrated the headset for my new space but didn't actually play any games.

Now I finally went to go play a game and my headset just gives me a black video and SteamVR says to move my headset to wake it up / make sure it's in sight of the base stations.
All drivers are up to date.
I tried to re-calibrate it in SteamVR but that too just tells me the lighthouses can't find the headset, now.

Audio was playing through the headset but I just get 2 pitch black screens. Video card drivers are up to date.

Not really sure what to try next?

EDIT: SteamVR --> Dev Settings --> Restart Headset :toot:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 25, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Sab669 posted:

Having some weird issues with my Index :ohdear:

I moved my office into another room this year. A few weeks ago I finally moved the lighthouses into the new room and calibrated the headset for my new space but didn't actually play any games.

Now I finally went to go play a game and my headset just gives me a black video and SteamVR says to move my headset to wake it up / make sure it's in sight of the base stations.
All drivers are up to date.
I tried to re-calibrate it in SteamVR but that too just tells me the lighthouses can't find the headset, now.

Audio was playing through the headset but I just get 2 pitch black screens.

Not really sure what to try next?

Have you tried disconnecting the cable from the headset and reseating it? I think you have to remove the face gasket first.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just had to do some digging to find the Reset "button" in SteamVR. Fortunately it was an easy fix :)

Now between GPU issues, wheel issues, and headset issues... I finally got to do my first race in Project Cars! That was very hard but also immediately awesome and I look forward to playing more later.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Lemming posted:

Yeah, those numbers are not what I'd expect. I share the total number of online players for Gorilla Tag, and right now the total CCU is about 21,000 (a bot lists those numbers here https://data.gorillatag.co.uk/?stats=1). On Steam, you can see that there are about 500 people (https://vrlfg.net/players/1533390) total playing right now.

I leave the possible difference in income as a purely theoretical exercise because there are various restrictions on what you're allowed to share.

My nephew put a huge scuff on my Oculus controller because of Gorilla Tag. I was visiting my brother and the kids were beyond excited to finally try it out. I supervised for like 5 minutes before I left the room. 20 minutes later I hear the sound of what is clearly plastic being fisted onto drywall. I actually had to uninstall it when they are around because they love it so much they just cannot contain themselves.

Gorn? Yeah they get goofy but generally stay in the same place. GT? Loud frantic screaming as they spin and spin and move their arms.

This is not a tear down of your game. On the contrary. You made a game so fun and exciting that my two nephews cannot possible contain their excitement. I've never seen them that enthralled by a vr game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VR Chat will use Easy Anti Cheat (EAC)
https://hello.vrchat.com/blog/vrchat-security-update

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

.........how does one cheat at VRchat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

.........how does one cheat at VRchat?

It lets people make the client better for free instead of overpaying for a pittance of features that are still heavily capped like saved avatars.